• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Dark Souls 2

Local time
Today, 17:28
Anyone playing this? Man I'm having fun. It's not as good as it predecessor but it's still a 9/10.

I rolled pure melee first, wielding a claymore and havel's armor as well as greatshield maxed. Still I ran into a pack of giants I just couldn't be bothered with. Then a friend of mine made a character modeled after Jeffrey Lee Pierce and after he left I kept on playing it. This time I've gone for a faith build. Currently using Lightning infused Barbed Club +5 with 50 faith and it's tearing through enemies in a way the Claymore never did. If I use my cleric buff on it it's insane. Got Channeler's Trident for a secondary weapon. It breaks extremely quickly, but hence works well as a backup weapon, it's 2h R2 let's you boost your damage for 20 sec and it works even if you switch weapons. Furthermore, it's got instant multihit poke attacks which guarantee staggering and deal heavy damage. Thinking about switching to Washing Pole for even more range though.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today, 12:28
stoooooppppppppppp..... temptation too great... must... refuse..... hellllllppppp :phear:

kvothe27

Local time
Today, 10:28
I really like it until it starts getting linear towards the end. I keep getting bored of it 2/3's of the way through. I've played through multiple times, but I can't seem to maintain interest until the end. I keep wanting to start a new build.

Local time
Yes, though I don't think it is the linearity so much as it is the character building that stales.

Watching videos explaining the story now, pretty cool ^^

redbaron

Worst Mod Ever™
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
I played it with a naked Claymore build. I plan to eventually do a naked Great Club run.

I'm kind of bored of Souls games after playing DS1, since I played it to death with practically every kind of build possible. Only reason I find to play them anymore is for the novelty of completing the game with spoof builds.

Local time
But then you have to learn to dodge roll reliably and time parries and shit right? I'm too lazy for that shit. In any case my Lightning Barbed Club and I cleared the game now : )

Man that Vendrick moment though.. that did stab my heart.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 18:28
I'm playing scholar of the first sin, usually in a co-op setting with difficulty enhancement. Used cheats to brings stats to 1 and start with a fresh character on NG+, no trading, weapon and armor decay doubled with cheats, soul gain lowered tenfold, etc.

I was hoping for a more mentally challenging game, but after perfecting i-frames (invulnerability frames) the difficulty is gone, I'm even using cheats to reduce starting attributes to 1 but level progression gets me out of killable range too quickly.

Still they have a much better combat mechanics design than many other titles, but DS suffers from being a predominantly console game, with all its clunkiness and unresponsiveness.

Playing on default keyboard is impractical, I had to rebind all the settings, awful camera work, targetting system is suicidal, I don't see much point in using it, other than ranged weaponry, which along with magic is way overpowered, putting no risk at the player.

The game can be finished with 6 Vit, 6 End and 6 in either Agi or Str with the rest of stats on 1 with a broken dagger and no armor, but it takes an awful lot of time to deal the necessary damage and is plain boring.

The balancing is uneven, progression forces the optimised build (all stats on 20, minimal straying from norm) instead of being a one for one or exponential equal-worth trade off. Level hard caps, misleading tooltips, etc.

Poorly planned and close-minded approach shows on every step. I'm being this harsh because they make themselves out to be the "challenging" game and they don't satisfy in this regard. I think they are going in the right direction with the artificially mechanical, animations emulating physics, eliminating the need for targetting or on-hit checks, etc. But there's a long way to go.

Now I'm more enjoying the overall atmosphere and the minimalistic lore or level design, they did a decent job with that, majula and heide tower of flame are some of my favourite game locations.

Some levels use trashy looped textures, especially in the distance (probably to save memory on consoles, or they didn't have the man-hours to finish the work), invisible walls from time to time, mostly minor graphical hiccups.

That said, it's more interesting than many other games of this genre (action rpg), it would greatly benefit from enriched story elements, a decent game in its own right.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 18:28
After probably finishing my interest in souls games I can recommend a number of things to increase difficulty/fun:

- Read orange for most relevant.

- No soul gain from kills (prevents farming souls, you only get souls from selling items), or disable that and give yourself 5 levels for each boss. You can finish the game on level 1 without equipment if you're patient.

- No invulnerability frames (prevents overpowered immortality dodges, forces the player to rely on armor/blocks and positioning)

- Co-op with friendly fire

- PvP for the most challenging gameplay

- Starting on NG+ or nerfing your stats / weapons

- Permanent loss of stats upon death (encourages thoughtful play and strategy), if you're hardcore then delete your save after you die once and start over

- Play every level with a different weapon, try different builds or force yourself to pick suboptimal strategies/builds even if you know better solutions

- Reduce your hp so that you die on 1 proper hit, reduce hp of opponents so that they die after a reasonably small number of hits

- Give yourself immortality and uber movespeed out of combat/out of boss fights to get to the relevant bits of the game ASAP and skip the tedium.

- You can hasten the game in cheat engine to make death messages / animations run faster and get to the actual gameplay faster. It saves hours of your life. While in the faster game mode, try playing and see if you can manage the higher tempo. Settle on the highest manageable speed multiplier you can and finish the game on it.

- Give yourself a hp threshold to fake death and upon reaching it reset the bossfight (respawn boss or remax its hp and your own hp). That way you don't waste any second on dying and spend all the time playing. (Note that boss stages don't reset without full respawn afaik) Doesn't work in multiplayer because of shitty game design / bonfire mechanics.

You can implement these by cheating (use cheat engine), or by following your rules to the point when it's enjoyable to you.

A lot of the difficulty in souls comes from poor game design and general obscurity of the interface and game world, there's too much tedium, opponents have too much hp, loading screens take forever, levels are too big and empty, mechanics (spells, interactions) aren't explained at all and so on.

Once you get past that and you have a bit of patience remaining then you will probably agree that this game isn't innately difficult, it's rather unfair and sadistic to the player by wasting their time instead of offering a proper learning curve, challenge or gameplay.

Top Bottom