• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Dark Music

Vegard Pompey

Local time
Today 3:00 AM
-->
Devin Townsend (this guy is nuts... but amazing) -- may not be your cup of tea, but I love it)

Pretty much my single favourite artist ever, but I don't find his music that dark, especially not his best albums (Terria, Synchestra)

mathy

Local time
Yesterday 8:00 PM
-->
Pretty much my single favourite artist ever, but I don't find his music that dark, especially not his best albums (Terria, Synchestra)

Agreed. Not particularly dark. There are times though when he can be (even in Terria I have noticed some dark moments). But its the odd melodies and mood creation that I thought zxc might be interested in.

I almost always throw his name in when I recommend music to people, just because I think he's so fantastic. It took me a little bit of time to really get his music, but once I did, I have definitely found him to be a favorite of mine.

merzbau

Local time
Today 11:00 AM
-->
loving Morricone's soundtrack for The Thing! :D Thanks a lot for that one! (now I'm interested in seeing that movie; I have no idea what it's about but I doubt that it can be bad, with a soundtrack like that).

dude.. "the thing" is an absolute classic! although morricone was apparently quite cheesed off with how his music was used in the film.

you might also find the soundtrack james horner did for the name of the rose of interest; much of the music was performed with archaic medieval instruments built specifically for the soundtrack.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
dude.. "the thing" is an absolute classic! although morricone was apparently quite cheesed off with how his music was used in the film.

you might also find the soundtrack james horner did for the name of the rose of interest; much of the music was performed with archaic medieval instruments built specifically for the soundtrack.

I'll check that out when I can. Soundtracks seem to have a high success rate with me.

Next on my list is Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element, Part I. From what I've read of it, it should suit me well :)

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
Today 2:00 AM
-->
Some that I have been listening to lately are as follows:

Rachmaninoff: "Prelude in C Sharp minor", "Prelude No. 5 in G minor", and "Allegro scherzando from Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor".

Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass: CD: Passages, Song: Meetings Along the Edge

Vladamir Horowitz CD: The Last Recording, Songs: "Mazurka #3 in C minor" by Chopin, "Fantaisie-Impromptu C-Sharp Minor" by Chopin, "Etude #5 E Minor" by Chopin, "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen by Liszt" (based on a theme from Bach's "Cantata No. 12")

Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", and "Seventh Symphony, Second Movement, Allegretto".

Luzian

Local time
Yesterday 9:00 PM
-->
Anyway..

Might I suggest Deadsy?

Vegard Pompey

Local time
Today 3:00 AM
-->
zxc, the first two songs from Dream Theater's new album has leaked and it sounds like this is something you'll like...

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Not going to listen to them until I get the album. But either way, I hope you are right :)

Been listening to Pain of Salvation's album The Perfect Element Part I. I love it, but I don't find it to be very dark (reviews said it was).

Local time
-->
Opeth - Silhouette
also
Iced Earth - Travel in Stygian has a nice piano part at the end if you don't mind listening to 8 minutes of epic guitar and lyrics

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Opeth - Silhouette
also
Iced Earth - Travel in Stygian has a nice piano part at the end if you don't mind listening to 8 minutes of epic guitar and lyrics

Already familiar with Silhouette, will check out the other song sometime as well.

cerebedlam

Local time
-->
Hi all. Lately I've been yearning for some really dark music. I remember once googling for dark piano pieces, and I didn't find much except a yahooanswers question. I investigated all the suggestions in that but didn't find much that interested me except Tchaikovsky's Pathetique (and even then, only the last minutes of the finale).

As a side-discussion, I wonder if anyone else shares my taste of dark, minor key music, and abhors music written in major keys. I know that we're apparently drawn to dissonance, but is there more to it than that?

Dark + Piano pieces, made me think of the one album I have that matches both descrips...Keith Jarrett's 'Dark Intervals'....I spin that disc on sometimes before nodding out at night...Jarrett is up there with Corea and Hancock as Jazz's most proficient and interesting improv key-men.

I tend to gravitate towards minor key music myself...I love the Melancholic side of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, and things like dat...I don't care much for too much Black Metal, but I have a pretty large soft spot for Doom Metal...Candlemass, and the other top names in that genre are about as Dark and Minor Key as your gunna get...Diggin' the new release right now...But, as a noob, I'd definitely suggest King of the Grey Islands, Nightfall or Tales of Creation as an introduction.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Even though this is out of my character, thanks for necro'ing this old thread. Hopefully there is music all throughout this thread that is entirely devoid of any happiness or good nature. That is what I need right now.

I want to take it one step further though. I don't want the music to be "dark" in the way of sad or depressing either. Just straight up hellish music that is unrelenting in its evilness. Dark ambient, industrial, maybe just some stuff that is completely lacking in any emotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbCEF1XF9Q

^ Nothing like this, though this is still good.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Nico's album 'The End', though most of my playlists are dark lists. :p

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 10:30 AM
-->
This is my dark mood music:

Perfect Circle's EMOTIVE album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ByMEx50Zc
Some of their lyrics are clever, but open-ended enough to stimulate thought on whatever the topic is that you are brooding over.

Meshuggah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc
Good thinking music; it tends to wash over you, but keep your anger alive. Listening to this for a few hours will turn anger to exhaustion tho.

Swallow the Sun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPLHGlE8oek
Sort of generic doom metal, but it fits a grim mood well, and often ends up lifting my spirits enough to listen to other music.

I also recommend Opeth, and Devin Townsend (particularly Strapping Young Lad if you're feeling dour, as that is his out for expression of anger).

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
That was quite a thread resurrection!

Dark + Piano pieces, made me think of the one album I have that matches both descrips...Keith Jarrett's 'Dark Intervals'....I spin that disc on sometimes before nodding out at night...Jarrett is up there with Corea and Hancock as Jazz's most proficient and interesting improv key-men.

I tend to gravitate towards minor key music myself...I love the Melancholic side of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, and things like dat...I don't care much for too much Black Metal, but I have a pretty large soft spot for Doom Metal...Candlemass, and the other top names in that genre are about as Dark and Minor Key as your gunna get...Diggin' the new release right now...But, as a noob, I'd definitely suggest King of the Grey Islands, Nightfall or Tales of Creation as an introduction.

I checked out Opening, from Dark Intervals, just before, and I particularly enjoyed the second half. The low end of the piano is so woefully underused that it makes it that much better to hear it again. I'll definitely look into this more.

A visual representation of my music listening since the time of the OP: http://lastgraph3.aeracode.org/static/graphs/graph_220847.pdf (10mb).

Some of my relevant 'dark music' discoveries since the time of the OP (more than three years), sorted by style:

Prog metal

Opeth: Almost the entirety of their discography.
Riverside: The album Second Life Syndrome.
Pain of Salvation: The album One Hour by the Concrete Lake, and songs like King of Loss, A Trace of Blood.
Symphony X: Not exactly dark, but their music often emphasises what I love most about minor keys. The albums The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Twilight in Olympus, and V: The New Mythology Suite. Example: Egypt.
Green Carnation: Light of Day, Day of Darkness.

Prog rock

Riverside: The album Out of Myself, and the songs I Turned You Down, After, and Before.
Opeth: The albums Damnation and Heritage.
Porcupine Tree: Songs like A Smart Kid, Baby Dream in Cellophane, Bonnie the Cat, I Drive the Hearse, Anesthetize, .3, Heartattack in a Layby.
Steven Wilson: Raider II halfway point onwards, Belle De Jour.
Blackfield: The song Glow.

Neoclassical / Darkwave

Dead Can Dance: The album Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, mostly the songs Anywhere Out of the World, Xavier, Summoning of the Muse.
Elend: The album Winds Devouring Men.
Amber Asylum: The songs Volcano Suite and Riviera.

Middle-Eastern / similar

Arcana: The album Le Serpent Rouge.
Karl Sanders: The album Saurian Exorcisms, and the song Whence No Traveler Returns.
Loreena McKennitt: The songs Marco Polo, Prologue, Marrakesh Night Market, The Mystic's Dream.

Classical / Soundtrack

Ennio Morricone: The Thing soundtrack (as recommended in this thread).
Liszt: Totentanz, primarily this performance Tchaikovsky: No.6 Mvt.4 primarily this performance Rachmaninov: Prelude in C#m Howard Shore: The Lord of the Rings soundtrack, especially the prologue/title music.
Hans Zimmer: Most of the Gladiator soundtrack, especially Am I Not Merciful?, Earth, Progency+The Wheat. Also One Simple Idea from Inception.
Wojciech Kilar: Soundtrack for Bram Stoker's Dracula.
John Powell: Not dark, but minor key fun. To the Roof, from The Bourne Supremacy's soundtrack.
Chopin: From The Pianist's soundtrack, Nocturne In C Sharp Minor (1830); parts of Nocturne In E Minor, Op.72, No.1; Ballade No.1 In G Minor, Op.23.
Javier Navarrete: Deep Forest, from the soundtrack to Pan's Labyrinth.

Gothic Metal

Stream of Passion: The album Embrace the Storm.
The Gathering: The song Travel.

Female-vocals

Sissel: The songs Lær Meg Å Kjenne and Sofdu unga astin min.
Emiliana Torrini: Gollum's Song, in Howard Shore's soundtrack for LOTR.
Anneke van Giersbergen: Valley of the Queens, in the Ayreon album Into the Electric Castle.
Loreena McKennitt: The songs Skellig and Dante's Prayer.
Stream of Passion: The song Nostalgia.

Guitar-driven dark ambient / neo-folk

Matt Uelmen: Diablo II soundtrack, primarily the songs Rogue, Tristram, Wilderness.
Tenhi: The album Kauan, example: Etäisyyksien Taa.
Vàli: The album Forlatt is very melancholic, for example, Doedens Evige Kall, Et Ensomt Minne, Dypt Inne I Skogen.

Spanish Guitar

Ewan Dobson: The song Blood and Ice. Also of interest is Acoustimetallus Plectrus and Legend of the Brown Goat (these are not Spanish sounding).
Rodrigo y Gabriela: Not exactly dark once again, but heavily emphasises the minor and dissonance. The albums 11:11 and Rodrigo y Gabriela. Example: Atman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has become apparent to me over time that the term 'dark' is used to describe some very different things in music. I use it in three senses:

1. Describing music which simply 'sounds good' owing to the minor scale (or more exotic scales), dissonance, steps of a single semitone up or down especially, and sometimes dramatic feel, e.g. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Atman. A lot of prog metal, film soundtracks, middle-eastern influenced music, and Spanish influenced guitar is like this.

2. Describing a very melancholic, depressing mood. E.g. Porcupine Tree - I Drive the Hearse
3. Describing an oppressive, sometimes otherworldy mood :smiley_emoticons_mr. E.g. The Thing soundtrack
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last kind is the hardest to find, at least, in my experience.

My last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/zxc2323

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
Yesterday 6:00 PM
-->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiQowjfIdQ

The car in front follows the long way around
Prey moves predator moves
Foreshortened angels hunting me down

Halle - halle - halle
Underkill
sticks in gullets
Overkill
is personal too many bullets

Rabbi crater keyed for action hits the marks
I wish I was in Dixie
Sleet switches silence to the shredding of larks

Serifot
Combs of honey
Kellipot
Saliva's coating balls of money

You and me against the world
World about to end world about to end world about to end

Wind blown hair in a windowless room
A lifeline of knuckles
waddles into the afternoon
Look into its eyes
It will look into your eyes

WHAT'S UP, DOC?
WHAT'S UP, DOC?
WHAT'S UP, DOC?
WHAT'S UP, DOC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hvHEBLNpI

Birds
Birds
This is not a cornhusk doll
Dipped in blood in the moonlight
Like what happen in America
This is us
Our eyesides snagged
Dipped in mob in the daylight
The breasts are still heavy
The legs long and straight
The upper lip remains short
The teeth are too small
The eyeside is green
The hair long and black
Still coming through
Still coming through
She knows this room
She can navigate it in the dark
She entered the Palazzo at night by a side door
To ascend to a lift in the upper floor
She lies on the bed
Looking up not yet seeing
The signs of the zodiac painted in gold
On the blue vaulted ceiling
His enormous eyes as he arrives
Coming nearer in the surrounding darkness
His strange beliefs about the moon
Its influence upon men of affairs
The danger of its cold light on your face
While you were sleeping
She'll eclipse it with her head
Stroke him while he sleeps
Until he has nothing to do among men of affairs
Sometime before dawn
Her bare feet cross the floor
She gazes from the window
At the fountain in the courtyard
Sometimes I feel like a swallow

A swallow which by some mistake
Has gotten into an attic
And knocks its head against the walls in terror
This is not a rabbit skinned
With a body of silver
The breasts are still heavy
The legs long and straight
The upper lip remains short
The teeth are too small
The eyeside is green
The hair long and black
Still coming through
Still coming through
The mood soon changed
In the clear morning air
A man came up towards the body
And poked it with a stick
It rocked swiftly
And twisted around at the end of the rope
Finer than a hair from every side
Finer than a hair
Birds
Birds
This is just a cornhusk doll
Dipped in blood in the moonlight
This is just a cornhusk doll
This morning in my room
A little swallow was trapped
It flew around desperately
Until it fell exhausted on my bed
I picked it up
So as not to frighten it
I opened the window
Then I opened my hand

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
I too have a penchant for minor key dissonant music. I almost always gravitate towards those songs from a musician first. I also have gone out of my way for years to look for music that's dark, evil, minor key, and dissonant that fits my own personal parameters... and I've also noticed people's ideas of what constitutes dark or evil or whatever vary wildly across the board.

Here are my suggestions for ya...

Minor Keyish:

Radiohead - We Suck Young Blood (i'm surprised radiohead hasn't been mentioned yet?)
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Eisley - walking in the air (cover)

Depressing:

Logh - Bring On the Ether
Nirvana - Something In the Way

More Dreamy / Otherwordly:

Deadsy - Sleepy Hollow
Late - Pokey the Little Puppy (early Dave Grohl / Foo Fighters)
Serial Experiments Lain - Kiri No Zigen
John Stowell - I wish

Ghost in the shell soundtrack - floating museum

More Dissonance:

Bernard Herman - Vertigo Theme
Bernard Herman - Psycho Theme
Microtonal Jam
Microtonal Remix of Canon in D
Penderecki - the dream of jacob
Bartok - Miraculous Mandarin Suite

Manic

Local time
-->
Hi all. Lately I've been yearning for some really dark music. I remember once googling for dark piano pieces, and I didn't find much except a yahooanswers question. I investigated all the suggestions in that but didn't find much that interested me except Tchaikovsky's Pathetique (and even then, only the last minutes of the finale).

So, I decided to write a lengthy question on yahooanswers, which can be found at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090219074430AAXgea2 . I gave a ton of examples, so perhaps you can all find something new there too.

Perhaps you fellow INTPians can suggest some excruciatingly dark music for me :D

As a side-discussion, I wonder if anyone else shares my taste of dark, minor key music, and abhors music written in major keys. I know that we're apparently drawn to dissonance, but is there more to it than that?

edit: oh wow, the yahooanswers question has got about five responses already

I'm also a fan of dark, minor key music. Here are a couple of highly-recommended classical favs, all of them gorgeous and brooding:

- Ralph Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
- Rachmaninov - Isle of the Dead
- Rachmaninov - Prelude in C Sharp Minor
- Gorecki - Symphony #3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)
- Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->

I'm also a fan of dark, minor key music. Here are a couple of highly-recommended classical favs, all of them gorgeous and brooding:

- Ralph Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
- Rachmaninov - Isle of the Dead
- Rachmaninov - Prelude in C Sharp Minor
- Gorecki - Symphony #3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)
- Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

I will need time to digest these, excepting Rachmaninov's Prelude in C#m which I already know and love.

In the meantime, a recent finding of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRltNxBvMDg

cerebedlam

Local time
-->
Hey ZXC, thanks for the Neoclassical / Darkwave and Guitar-driven dark ambient / neo-folk picks...Not familiar with any o' this stuff.

When I think of DARK music, the planet's biggest and best DOOM METAL band comes to mind first...CANDLEMASS...This is another one of those metal bands which sprung up in the early 90's, and then, just recently, had a big resurgence in creativity and worldwide popularity...

Can't argue with anything from the original crop of recordings from this Swedish doom unit...But, their rebirth over the last five years has gifted us with three of their most important releases...Check out King of the Grey Islands first...then, either Death, Magic, Doom or the new one, Psalms for the Dead...

There are tons of bands grouped together under the banner of DOOM METAL, but CANDLEMASS is the one who does big, epic, dark and depressed music the best.

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
@zxc

that shostakovic piano trio is cool. I like how some of the instruments take on a more rhythmic role... in addition to the overall minory-ness.

Manic

Local time
-->
Interesting Shostakovich trio, haven't heard that one. He did a lot of dark stuff. If you haven't heard his 5th Symphony (his most famous work) you might want to check it out. Highly recommended. The 10th as well.​

travelnjones

Local time
-->
Scott Walker , Clara from the drift record he beats and breaks a pig carcass as percussion.

Pianotic

I (89%) N (73%) T (87%) P (11%)
Local time
-->
Eric Satie has some great piano pieces. Gnosienne is by far his best work. Cult of Luna, Kollwitz and Rosetta Stoned has some beatiful dark post-rock/metal.

maj_bumper

Freelance Superhero
Local time
Yesterday 7:00 PM
-->

So glad Devin's music got brought up here. Most really isn't that dark, although as mentioned SYL is a good angry band to listen to. But by far my favorite (although admittedly disjointed) album of his is Ki by the Devin Townsend Project.

For those who've heard it, does it not seem like a pretty good INTP-themed album?

For those who haven't, it's a fantastic mix of bluesy and jazzy rhythms with a really heavy sound. Ever since I heard this album I've been looking for something in the same vein, with a similar atmosphere, but I haven't been able to find anything. Looking up blues metal won't get you anywhere near it, and besides that fact I really don't know how I would describe this album.

Anyway, take a listen and if you've got something similar I might like pass it on. There's been some great suggestions already!

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
As most of the stuff in this thread wasn't dark some number of months ago, so most of the stuff in this thread still isn't dark. I am especially surprised by the number of progressive metal tracks in here that people are proclaiming as 'dark'. Using a minor key and some other technical music stuff that I don't know doesn't necessarily make a song 'dark.' Most of the stuff I have found by now that is certifiably dark according to me is within the genre of... what else, dark ambient. Here are a few:

That's about it. Some of these were also in my black metal / dark ambient thread.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
:o Looks like I forgot about INTPf for a year again :facepalm:

As most of the stuff in this thread wasn't dark some number of months ago, so most of the stuff in this thread still isn't dark. I am especially surprised by the number of progressive metal tracks in here that people are proclaiming as 'dark'. Using a minor key and some other technical music stuff that I don't know doesn't necessarily make a song 'dark.' Most of the stuff I have found by now that is certifiably dark according to me is within the genre of... what else, dark ambient. Here are a few:

That's about it. Some of these were also in my black metal / dark ambient thread.

Perhaps you didn't see the last part of my second-last post, which explains the three ways in which I use the word 'dark' to describe music. In short: 1. Minor-key music in general; 2. Melancholic or sad music; 3. Oppressive, other-worldy or insidious sounding music. Most of the prog-metal would fall under 1 or 1 and 2. The main reason I had so many examples of prog is because I find the genre in general, on average, to be interesting and stimulating, even if not dark all that often.

Dark ambient is a genre I'd like to like, but the near complete absence of melody makes it difficult for me to listen to and be enthralled by the music. It's just too empty - at that point of ambient, I rather listen to rain and a thunderstorm. Actually, that probably beats everything: listening to a thunderstorm while closing your eyes and imagining you're in a castle somewhere in Eastern Europe, in a less technologically-advanced time than today.

Tor__Hershman

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If you're a Christian, Id suggest my "LOL Jesus Christ AntiChrist" as quite dark.

If you're a Hindu/Krishna, then me wee "Crispy Krishna" should suffice.

If you're a Satanist, Muslim, Jew, Christian or Hindu/Krishna then I listen to my
"Chanting The Name Of The Turd."

If you're a Human, then me "Hey! Hey! We're The Humans."

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

BloodCountess88

Guardian of the Gates
Local time
-->
Local time
-->
this thread is simply incomplete without Diamanda Galas. the entire catalogue fits, but I recommend "The Masque of the Red Death Trilogy" and Plague Mass. her piano and voice interpretations of blues/jazz standards are excellent as well, with Malediction & Prayer being an ideal starting point.

also:
Comus, First Utterance
Etant Donnes, Aurore and Bleu
early Swans (Filth, Greed/Holy Money)

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Idk if anyone else has said this but
Andrew Jackson Jihad ✨

Local time
-->
not entirely sure what counts as dark...but i'll throw some stuff

alfred schnittke, rome, agalloch, księżyc, lycia, mihály víg, shizuka, cukor bila smert, thou, olafur arnalds

"Your compatibility with zxc2323 is Very Low.
You both listen to Arcana, Dead Can Dance and Godspeed You! Blac…."
:(

Top Bottom