• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Critizice my video, without mercy

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 5:45 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
Hello guys, i've been working on this video for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to know your opinion on the idea. I know technically it is quite simple or even bad, like really homemade stuff. Yet i'm more interested in if it makes you feel in a certain way. Also what do you think about the story? do you get it? do you get the references on it? Overall what is your reaction. What is this video about?
It's done with little, almost 0 money, i could only buy this multicolor light for 5 euros and some help from my brothers and bandmates to do some of the shots. The camera was quite shitty in dark enviourments.
I will also change the font and size of the titles and add a few more here and there. These are in english because i wanted to show you. Final cut will be in spanish. Please try to watch it on the highest quality you can, this way you will see better for it's really dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_wPI-n5JG8

Ok once you have think about these questions and reply back to me, you can check the actual story behind it:

The video starts with this scene of an empty room with a machine that makes u breath better, you see this guy putting his face on it and the music is about a guy telling a girl that if she can talk to god please ask him if this guy has ever stop loving her. There's a text of 100 years of solitude.
The guy in the video is beeing advised by signs sent by paulo cohelo who's comunicating through his book with this guy. At first he thinks he's allucinating because he rejects reality and falls into this world of anxiety and pressure, who's represented by the guru with the torch, the one that's smashing eggs, there's a sense of time coming after him and crushing him, this is all a warning from cohelo.
He appears in different worlds. When he enters in the woods, he finds a tv and sees his band playing on tv. There's like a semi heart shaped lock made with cable and plugs and roses.
Here is where Cohelo starts teaching him about morals morals, and what has happened with him so he starts to become aware of his actions. He plays the tape on rewind.
Then a dawn of his eyes and a sudden brief show of a turtle and three buddas. This is like what he wishes for, a more paced slow way of the gods to make his path easier. Then you can see some feets dancing. This is like antics, he goes mad, everything leads to desperation.
Still in TV he sees what his love has became, like this horror movie, show interpreted by this girl pupeteer who's spilling honey from her mouth. She's pointing her finger, acusing him of stuff. He feels guilty yet angry and easy about it, too many emotions. You can see it in the close up of his face.
She's not showing her eyes. She's covering them with a hat and sunglasses, because this means he cannot reach this girl. Not her true inner side anymore.
So now he starts to see it from an outside, detached perspective like from an eagle point of view thanks to Paulo Cohelo magic tricks.

Why paulo cohelo? personal experiences about a lot of people (friends) hating on him. I thought it would be nice to be warned and tried to save by this guy no one likes.
Why sureli? because it's a really tasty food from a country where a girl i really liked was. So she was my sureli, haha.
Why the purple light? because in the cover of the demotape there is a purple sunset, for me it was like one big eye making you go crazy, like the shining movie. So it is like the trigger for allucinations. The hype.
Why i'm wearing this big weird no-glass glasses? and this hat? because it adds a hipster hate vibe to the character. This same kind of person who he's being warned of in the video.
The balloons only represent the kid hopeful side of this character, yet evil shadows they cast as u can see.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Ha, it's weird and odd, but I actually quite like it.

I like the video, love the colours, and enjoyed the instrumentals. I just wish I knew what the fuck you were saying.. I hopefully got the gist from the text. I think it's cool.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
Today 6:45 AM
-->
I realise the dark theme but the light could still be better thought out(I would straight up edit in more light). I felt there was excessive out of focus at times it was not appropriate(and at times it was). On some of the scenes depicting people I feel you should show more instead of the up close and personal, it's fitting for most scenes but to much of it (particularly when the people are involved) makes the video hard to navigate.

In a similar vein I would change a few scenes to be more still picture so that you can take a moment to ground yourself watching it. I would look into video effects other than the ones you currently use, there is a massive array of video editing options. But those are just first thoughts, I am not really a video producer of any kind.

... and I ended up only giving technical feedback before reading your post... sigh.

I did like the feel of the video though, fits the falling into darkness and madness motive quiet nicely.

Interdimensionist

Local time
-->
My only question: how did you get a camera to fit inside my head? This is a pretty good visualization of what it can be like on any given day although I haven't thought much in Spanish since moving back to the UK.

I liked the video because of the strange, dark and manic vibe it has to it and I can appreciate that you made this pretty much out of nothing so I wasn't expecting it to be among the greatest works I've ever seen but I imagine the vast majority of people will look at it and think "What the hell did I just watch?" or they'll think you were just being weird for its own sake but then again I doubt you made it with those people in mind as your main target audience.

Other than that I would recommend trying to set the cuts to the music a little better because I think it would make it flow better and appear that much more tighter overall I suppose? Sorry if I'm not explaining that too well, I mean for the beat of the music to be more in time with the edits and jumps if that makes more sense.

Also I kinda preferred the song that played during the beginning over the one that played throughout the video for some reason.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:45 AM
-->
You video sucks and I hate it. <--- without mercy.

Urakro

~
Local time
-->
Meh, I've seen worse which I've enjoyed better.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:45 AM
-->

Urakro

~
Local time
-->
Please develop, i want to know why u didnt enjoy it

I can appreciate the amount of talent that went into the script and effects. I can see that a fair amount of work went into it's successful construction.

Taste-wise, it's not my genre or style. It seems more targeted for edgy teenagers, and doesn't seem to have anything deep or meaningful for me.

I can recall videos made with much less effort which I have satisfyingly connected with. Though effort (or lack of) isn't the standard I go by if I was to form an aesthetical opinion of a video.

People create videos as an expression of themselves, and some will like while others will not, though it doesn't matter. The whole point is to satisfy the artist in his own personal growth.

But I kinda got from the title of this thread that I am to bash your video, so I tried. I tried making a single statement that would almost concisely summarize what I just wrote here.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
I can recall videos made with much less effort which I have satisfyingly connected with. Though effort (or lack of) isn't the standard I go by if I was to form an aesthetical opinion of a video.

Thanks for ur acclarations, could you post here some example of a short meaningful or just meaningful video for you? i want to compare and think of it. Really i think it would somehow help me to set a higher level and improve.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 10:45 PM
-->
Initial impressions:

a e s t h e t i c

I feel like there should have been more cuts to the musicians to set the pacing, there's too much story progression at once

A fish eye lens would've done wonders

The people seem too self-conscious to sell the idea of 3rd person view

The deep meanings are really cool but I feel like there was some uncertainty in how obscure you wanted to be, as I mentioned earlier, cutting to the musicians often balances this out with ordinary and innocent aspects and lets people form their own meanings to the mysterious story parts.

Do you know about film vs video? I thought it could use some kind of slowing effect because it looks too campy like a soap opera or something.

Overall I want to say that I can see potential in you to be a professional producer for music videos and perhaps concept albums. I can kind of already imagine you as the bohemian type to mingle with local bands.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
The problem with the band shots is that one of the members couldn't come and won't come for a while cuz he just got married (shit i'm getting old) so i decided to record with my drummer and my bro was doing the camera work there. I failed to explain how i wanted the takes there, and the illumination was horrible set, we needed extra help with it, so i had to tell my bro to do like this and like that and also try to move the lights to create shadows and play the guitar and at the same time keep my drummer aware of the tempo and stuff like that. It certainly could have been done much better. But like always, i don't have patience, i was thinking of getting there for other day of takes but i decided not to. So i had a lot of shots but little quality so i picked the better ones. Imagine. Still i think i could have thrown there more drummer takes. There were still a few cool left.

I wanted to do slow motion at some spots, i'm no expert at this but i think my camera cannot record in high fps or whatever it is, so if i slow it down it looks odd. Not the desired effect.

I knew when i was making it that it will look funny at some spots because it was technically really poor. And i didn't have patience to find cool places. Specially interiors, like some ruins of a church that are in a town next to mine. It was like, screw this shit, lets keep it simple.
So i was laughting my ass off in some takes, the guru / dark monk scene in my hallway was hilarious, i barely could hold the cam.
But there are also intended funny references, like pinocchio, cuz he's like representing this main character or me, who was a liar, but it wasn't his nose what was growing bigger.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
BTW guys, i asked in PeC about the cognitive functions displayed in this video and one guy replied Si and Fi, would you agree?
I read Ne dom and aux are not likely to give explanations about their art for they think everyone has to make their own interpretations but i do think that then if this is what it means to me why should i hide it?

Si is highly present in art for when you see something it always makes a subjective impact on you, i mean not always, monalisa didn't make me feel anything at all but a lot of things do specially in certain moments, where you link every experience with a momentary feeling like in this case.. Every element in this video is connected to the main idea. Even ballons are because a experience i had about this story in real life and i turned it into this kind of wanna be nightmare, freak show. It was like a teather representation of all this coincidences that happen to me in this almost magical realism trip / relationship.

Original ballons pic i took on the streets:

LroEAQc.jpg

Stop sign, stop heart, ballons, hopeful side, light in top goes darker, in the middle this painting with the maks representing different emotions. I thought it was quite meaningful composition. I was lucky of having the ballons passing by in that moment. They were gone in like 2 minutes.

Wouldn't it be then more of a Ni thing? Like, i saw this sunset and i thought of the eye of this girl i liked so much and she was like looking at me, like in the lord of the rings, this hallucinative trigger, and i saw it purple, i can kind of understand how this is a subjective impression of a percieved object but then i also remind of the explanation that gives Michael Pierce about Ni using the example of red ballons and how he associates it and make his perception fit for other idea and i think it's more or less the same thing.
Everything leads to the same point, there's nothing spreading or expanding about this video, there can be many different interpretations but they are wrong, cuz they are not the creator's one.
Everything just adds to the core of the idea which is the world of madness and pain caused by a failed relationship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnGzIiDTz4

I obviously agree about Fi.
But if this is Si, how would be a Ni video?
And i'm not saying i'm a Ni user but it seems i will never be able to understand cf for everyone sees shit different.

Archer

slightly inebriated
Local time
Yesterday 11:45 PM
-->
Yeah... the visuals are interesting, but this looks like something someone would make after binging on cough syrup for a week.

I did enjoy your tribute though, I can only assume it's a tribute to your dick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnmBWZOjP8

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
Hello guys, i've been working on this video for a couple of weeks now. I wanted to know your opinion on the idea. I know technically it is quite simple or even bad, like really homemade stuff. Yet i'm more interested in if it makes you feel in a certain way. Also what do you think about the story? do you get it? do you get the references on it? Overall what is your reaction. What is this video about?

My first reaction is to wonder if the music is something you or someone you work with composed and performed, or if it's just a soundtrack you took from somewhere as background music.

If the former, I have a language barrier in that I don't understand Spanish. So I can't possibly comment on what the music, which seems to be the primary constituent of the work in this case, is contributing to the overall video. Perhaps in this case you could subtitle it in English.

If the latter, I would suggest completely eliminating the soundtrack and seeing what's left of the video. That's pretty close to my actual experience of this. The music doesn't make any kind of integrative sense to me, it's just background noise providing some kind of pulse. I am wondering if the video images themselves have any ability to carry themselves forward on their own internal merits or cohesions.

I can't follow anything that's going on in the video. It feels "like a music video," which is why the choice of personal or borrowed music is important. The video seems concerned with ritual, mysticism, and personal perception. As an atheist those aren't easy things to get me interested in. I may not be your target audience, but such things by themselves "fall flat" rather quickly. Hence why it would be helpful for me to know the song lyrics in English, to understand what they are meant to be contributing to the experience.

I didn't find myself interested in watching the whole thing, which is a data point. Given my concerns above, I felt like "I see how this is going" and cut it off after about 1 minute. I very much don't like videos on the internet that don't rapidly engage my attention span. They consume a lot of real wall clock time as far as I'm concerned, as compared to skimming a big chunk of text. Videos are things you have to wait for, for others to get around to the point. This one wasn't obviously going to present any kind of point to me, for the primary barrier of being in Spanish, and the secondary barrier of being concerned with incoherent subject matter about ritual, mysticism, and personal perception.

I'm realizing that I can actually turn this work into the silent version, so I'm going to take a break, eat some food, try to clear my mind of perceptions I had before, and crank it up again with the sound off. BRB.

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
Ok I got through the whole thing with the sound off. That means to me that the music is downright annoying. The video isn't coherent, but at least without the disruptive influence of the music trying to vie for my attention, I can go more into "visual artist mode" and look at things more as color, texture, and movement.

The video clearly has musicians playing in it, so the "music video" impression remains. That might indicate that it's your own original music being played.

There's an evil puppet master horror thing going on later. Pinocchio for some reason.

Yeah you're gonna have to drop some English subtitles or something for me to get it dude. This doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom