• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Community DF game comments and discussion

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:59 PM
-->
This is a maintenance thread for the forum game of dwarf fortress in this thread.

Here you are welcome to join the game, laugh at the efforts of our miserable dwarves and more.

Facey do you agree with being next in the queue to play?

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
-->
Re: The Plane of Dawn, community DF game comments and discussion

Hehe sorry just finished reading our thread now. Excellent job with that! So what are your plans for this beast dwarf kingdom?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

2 months in as mentioned. Farms done in 15%, currently waiting for the stockpile level, then I will quickly arrange the mason's workshop and I will create the recordkeeper's office.

No enemies in sight, only eagles, but this is what was expected of this easy embark biome.

Also in the meantime I will create a short tutorial for the forum members, as I think it is quite unreal to expect most of them to read the articles on the external website and remain interested. Still unreal even without that condition, but well ;).

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 10:59 PM
-->

So, how goes it with the fort?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I got a cold, then got side effects from medicine for cold, which almost got me hospitalised.
Today I am in a 3rd zombie mode this week due to a migraine. I will finish as soon as I have time and doing anything becomes enjoyable.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->

Good luck recuperating.
Have a moderate grasp on the game, so count me in.
Shall I play after face?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Good luck recuperating.
Have a moderate grasp on the game, so count me in.
Shall I play after face?
You can be second if Face doesn't show up. We'll see.
Glad to see some enthusiasm in you.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
I upgraded to 40.14, though the save will not be compatible with the use of stepladders.
Hopefully there aren't any game-breaking compatibility issues.

I'll play through the year, then post screenshots of the fort come spring to showcase it's current status.
Interestingly enough our play-styles differ quite a bit, so I'll have to adapt mine to some extent.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
I play my forts more compact, in my experience this saves time on digging and allows me to focus more on the survival of my starting dwarves and migrants in the first year, though by doing it I may become overwhelmed when more and more migrants arrive.

Our styles are different in terms of the physical layout of the fort and long term strategy(At least from what I perceive).

Farming-wise I usually go small scale, focusing rather on industry and crafts, the latter of which I trade for food with dwarven caravans.
I also lay off smithing and smelting at first, though I think that is to my own detriment.

My experience is still limited though, so it would be interesting to adapt to something new.

Side note: Were you planning to channel out the dining hall?
I only thought about the possibility after I dug directly under it.
I can always start over though, I'm still in early spring.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I wanted to make some of the farms outdoors by channeling single tiles of light from surface on them and then planting rare (surface) crops there.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
I wanted to make some of the farms outdoors by channeling single tiles of light from surface on them and then planting rare (surface) crops there.

That will greatly increase the brewable plants, also make for better prepared meals.
As far as I know above ground crops need muddy soil(speaking under correction).

So perhaps a channel from the river, allowing water through a floodgate/s during spring?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think it was enough to build a plot underground and expose it to sun once and it stayed as above ground field. A little exploit for ya :). (Maybe fixed in a new version)
The only drawback later was protecting the artificially closed tiles from building destroyers trying to invade.

If you want to do it the traditional way then I think it required transporting water from a pool in buckets and letting it dry.

Top Bottom