• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Choose one

one activity

• Guitar playing

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Drawing

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Singing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Writing

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 4:50 AM
-->
I need to choose one activity besides my work to do in my spare time. I want to create something, do anything to not be a workaholic robot. I know basics and have talent in 4 activities. I want you to help me choose, what has the best potential.
I played classical guitar in music school for 4 years.
I was drawing for a few years in my youth (when I was 13-17)
I sang in 3 choirs for 5 years total and practiced some solo too.
I was always good in writing stories, especially in school I was very good at it.

My goals could be:
  • Play classical guitar (learn Etude 11 Heitor Villa Lobos and more likelihood stuff) or eletric guitar in some band (I know people I can play with)
  • Learn to draw females (they're the most beautiful objects in the universe) and generally draw what I have in mind, my feelings, imaginations of future
  • Sing in a semi-professional choir or metal band (I like to scream and growl, lastly I try to learn it and it's fun!)
  • Write a hard sci-fi novel (I know a lot of science, so imo I can anticipate some version of future)
Why only one?
I get sad, when I see people better than me in every my interest:

Guitar - Estas Tonne or Adam Jones
Drawing - a lot of guys from DevianArt and Internet
Singing - Maynard James Keenan and I know in person people who sing better than me
Writing - dunno if I could write something better than Blindsight from Peter Watts

As INTP I want to do something the best, but still, I don't have such predispositions like INFP's have in those matter, so I want to pick one. After 10 or more years I would create something pretty good (I hope!). Also, it would be just my second interest, because I have a job and my main focus is on something different.

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
I'd just do them all (play guitar, do background vocals, write songs, make album art), but if you have to pick one, I vote for drawing, with writing coming in second.

Art seems to have the most self-exploration/development potential. It's also not really about skill, or at least not as much as the others. It lets you develop your own style.

MJK sings better than a lot of people... Just sayin'. :D Though, if you can pull off a scream like in The Grudge, we need to hear that.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:50 PM
-->
Make punk music and draw your "beautiful" objects on the cover of your albums. :goat:

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
Writing accomplishes the most out of these.

Deleted member 1424

Drawing....
but there's a lot more to draw than just women and far too many artists fixate on just that. If you want to be the best at something, then do something different.

That part was really cringey to read actually.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
"I want you to help me choose, what has the best potential."

Potential for what? Everything you can be a creative act, full of potential. Why only these four choices?

Seems to me like an extrinsic pressure which will ultimately end in abandonment. Do you even know what you really want?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:20 PM
-->
Ignore Adaire, feeemaales are the most b-e-a-u-tiful objects in the universe. They might object to being called objects, but that's why we call them objects amirite?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
I suggest writing. Why? To develop your ideas into something concrete.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 3:50 PM
-->
Yeah you messed up. It's women. Women are the most beautiful objects in the universe. :D
---------

You know, you should give a short demonstration of your current skills in all of them. That way people will be able to give you a serious answer.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->

Wow. Do this. I just got my guitar back after months of not having one, I may give this a try.

In all honesty here, I would second Kuu; you should know why you want to do this and have some very solid reasons for doing so. 10 years is a long time and to stay motivated for that long will take some strong reasoning, dedication or passion for what it is you want to do.

Local time
-->
i wish men would stop pretending you think we (women) are so beautiful. we all know you have only one thing in mind

1534669515770.png

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
Make punk music and draw your "beautiful" objects on the cover of your albums. :goat:
That's the idea :D I'm not convinced in punk, because I never listened to it, but maybe I'll find some niche. Something like Burzum or Burial is what I wish to do - create it's own style and do everything by myself.
Writing accomplishes the most out of these.
xD
That part was really cringey to read actually.
what actually did you think about me, when you were reading?
there's a lot more to draw than just women and far too many artists fixate on just that. If you want to be the best at something, then do something different.
never thought about it, but it's probably true. Now I need to find something new, that none draw.
Seems to me like an extrinsic pressure which will ultimately end in abandonment. Do you even know what you really want?
It's weird but it's true - I want everything. Like Littlefinger in GoT. Also notice connection between my nickname and him ;> The only thing that makes me sad is life is so short and I there is so much to do, that I will never accomplish everything. But there is an idea to begin stuff and leave it to finish to people after me.
Ignore Adaire, feeemaales are the most b-e-a-u-tiful objects in the universe. They might object to being called objects, but that's why we call them objects amirite?
xD My point was that everything for me is an object, no matter if it's a human, animal or apple. Especially in drawing where you focus only on surface, what is visible.
That can help me, but actually I have so many sensors around me (ISTPs and ISTJs) that help me realizing how many details I still don't understand or miss.
You know, you should give a short demonstration of your current skills in all of them. That way people will be able to give you a serious answer.
Some are better developed than others and I don't want to focus on this, I wanted some objective feedback without involving much of my personal thoughts. My reason was to find out what other people appreciate than will be interesting for them. I don't want to create something that none will care about. I'm also convinced that I can do anything.
Wow. Do this. I just got my guitar back after months of not having one, I may give this a try.

In all honesty here, I would second Kuu; you should know why you want to do this and have some very solid reasons for doing so. 10 years is a long time and to stay motivated for that long will take some strong reasoning, dedication or passion for what it is you want to do.
this piece live is even better, I learned already first two pages (from ten).

My reasons are my feelings and I don't analyze them anymore. I just know I want to do all these things. The problem lies in time and that I don't see results if I do all of them. Probably I will not resign from any of it, I'll just pick one, achieve something and move to another.

i wish men would stop pretending you think we (women) are so beautiful. we all know you have only one thing in mind
I agree that our motive in relationships is very primitive and that sex is what drives us, but it's not true that it's the only thing that we want. You hurt my feelings saying that.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
That can help me, but actually I have so many sensors around me (ISTPs and ISTJs) that help me realizing how many details I still don't understand or miss.

You are expected to fail. What do you learn if you do not fail? I have failed a lot with faulty reasoning.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
You are expected to fail. What do you learn if you do not fail? I have failed a lot with faulty reasoning.
It's not about failing, it's about putting an effort into something. To get something you always need to give up something. It can be pain, time, money or whatever, but you don't need to fail to succeed. Anyway to fail is always matter of perspective, everything can be failure or success, it's you who name it.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
My suggestion is to form a metal band and be the vocalist (and perhaps a non-lead guitarist as well). I say vocalist rather than lead guitarist because I feel that a good vocalist is harder to come by than a good guitarist so you'd be more valuable in that regard.

Drawing sounds to me like something to do just whenever you want to draw, whereas writing a book sounds like a heavy commitment for something that perhaps not many people would read. I feel that if you were meant to write a book that you would have a stronger inspiration to do so rather than it being something you'd be asking for input regarding (but don't let me discourage you if you do make that decision!).

Regarding writing, of course if you become a vocalist you'd likely be writing the majority of the lyrics. Having a sci-fi sort of theme to what you write could be something that would be well appreciated, so that's something to keep in mind.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
xD My point was that everything for me is an object, no matter if it's a human, animal or apple. Especially in drawing where you focus only on surface, what is visible.

I'm no artist nor particularly interested in art, but I thought being a good artist was about seeing beyond the surface and withdraw the essence of your focus? Or something to that effect. If you can't show a personality, show a feel the person is feeling on the inside, or show something that reveals something personal/ fascinating/ captivating about that person that normally you wouldn't see when focusing on the surface, then I'm not sure how interesting/ good that would be. Mechanical representation of objects are mostly fascinating when given in great detail and teqnique, but when drawing people I don't see the long term interest of seeing the same types of sexy/ pretty/ cute in women over and over again. I'd think if you want to succeed more than it just being a hobby, you need something more than "pretty ladies" in your drawings.

Also, really, women are the most beautiful? The occasional human can be cute, but mostly humans are ghastly. And if you start focus on faces being like lips moving and eyes blinking, it starts becoming very freaky and it feels like looking at an alien from star trek. Looking at a (real) face upside down where you start imagining the forehead as the mouth/ beard is horrific. Human is a crazy species. Maybe I should start drawing the freaky things I perceive humans to be on the outside :silly:

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 1:50 PM
-->
This really depends on what you want to do during your 'spare' time. I play the guitar/sing when I'm lonely and I write when I'm depressed and need to 'de'-press-

But these things are more self-tuning/self-time to me rather than a hobby thing. In my spare time I just go out and get something nice to eat with a friend. Or just play games. Lots of games ^_^

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 1:50 PM
-->
Also, really, women are the most beautiful? The occasional human can be cute, but mostly humans are ghastly. And if you start focus on faces being like lips moving and eyes blinking, it starts becoming very freaky and it feels like looking at an alien from star trek. Looking at a (real) face upside down where you start imagining the forehead as the mouth/ beard is horrific. Human is a crazy species. Maybe I should start drawing the freaky things I perceive humans to be on the inside :silly:

Geez, I can't help but note what kind of era we live in. The Greeks prized the male body and thought of females as secondary but now we associate beauty with female models in magazines and certain ways to pose unnaturally. It's like the entire medium and aspect of aesthetics was turned on its head.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
Here's the result.
I've met my schizophrenic INFP cousin yesterday and I asked him the same question. He is not very talkative and said only "I don't know" but said he wrote some stories lastly and he can show me. I was surprised because he didn't write anything for a few years and he's 21 now. His stories was wonderful and I was amazed that with little experience and mental problems (and medications) he was able to write something that I'm not sure I could beat.

I realized, that to be good with something you need talent and I resign from all these things. I'll let more talented people to do this stuff that I want and I will focus only on what other people can never beat me in - creating theories.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 5:50 PM
-->
Writing is a good general skill to have and cheap to develop.

I'd advise against trying to write a novel, start with short stories, I mean a long story is essentially a series of short stories so if you're good at writing short stories that'll make writing a long one much easier.

You can read guides, ask for advice and read stories other people have written, and that will all help, but above writing is a process of discovery and you discover plots/characters/themes by writing about them.

Then again drawing smut is an easy way to make money.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Choose ability: Persistence

You will not be as good as other people in that you will not become a copy of what makes them good. There's no point comparing, you can express yourself through art and improve by doing.

Good artists are appreciated as a whole, there's technique and there's personality, they developed both by experimenting with their medium of choice and by interacting with people which is equally important. Great technique and social sophistication of an artist are also what influences people's emotions which is the end goal of any medium.

Expecting to have talent is like hoping to win a lottery or wishing to find a true love, it's the kind of naive desire to have your life made for you.
With that kind of attitude if you had a talent for swimming or procrastinating, you would inevitably be led to doing swimming or procrastinating without any choice of your own, that would fucking suck man :D!

Top Bottom