• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Changing loopback Address

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
Today 1:20 AM
-->
So in the past I banned websites in the etc/hosts file on my computer. And now I've reverted this ban so these websites do infact send packages back to my machine, except they don't. I've restarted the machine multiple times, I can ping from terminal but the websites in question won't load in the browser. Is it possible the websites servers have banned my IP address from recieving a full download of the website's page?

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
Yes, you broke their hearts. And now they probably want to forget you.

Rebis

Local time
-->
Facebook is one of them. I'm thinking that the network didn't want to send pings to a loopback address that wasn't recieving pings, so they disabled sending TCP Packets to me.

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
Well I was joking, but they might have blocked you as a potential DOS attack. Such requests could flood down their network.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
can you retrieve the html content by running for example: curl https://www.facebook.com/

if you get the html but it doesn't load in a browser, I would bet it's a browser issue

to me these theories make no sense because the etc/hosts file is just a mapping on your computer between addresses and host names. I.e if you add

127.0.0.1 intpforum.com

it just means that when you type intpforum.com your browser goes to 127.0.0.1, i.e. your own address, and you actually never go to the internet at all

edit:
come to think of it the first thing I would try is to just type in the ip address of facebook instead of its name. If it works it's probably just your browser that hasn't reverted the address-name mapping.

edit2: should be noted I'm mostly talking out of my ass, because web stuff is definitely not my specialty

Rebis

Local time
-->
If you want to know my skewed logic I thought 127.0.0.0 was your computer's default address for sending out a SYN packet across a network and 127.0.0.1 recieved a SYN-ACK, so my idea was I could send websites a request to connect to their servers but they could never send packets to me as the host file prevented the domain at www.facebook.com from connecting to 127.0.0.1.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Is it possible the websites servers have banned my IP address from recieving a full download of the website's page?
Looks like you need your default /etc/hosts. You seemed to have fucked it up.

Anyway NetworkManager/Connman/Wicd should do the job for you.

Top Bottom