• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

certain is now uncertain, uncertain is now certain

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:08 PM
-->
I have been observing and pondering over my 'society'/'peer group'/'modern young adults'.

I joined this forum at around the time that I was plagued with the uncertainty of my identity (I still don't know, but it doesn't bother me as much). I had done the unthinkable, graduated from High School and joined my father's office. I am the victim of odd stares whenever I mention I am not in university and I never went.

But as time passed through and I increasingly felt agitated that I was not in college, I could never shake off the rational that one's performance,inheritance, and sheer luck determined their ability to produce more income and attain a better quality of life. College itself is no gateway and that there is an industry built on the irrational desire to go to a prestigious university. College no longer served the purpose of educating or even qualifying individuals as much as offering a social upstanding or a perceived social upstanding.

Recently, my brother accidentally forgot to logout from his Facebook and I got a hold of a bunch of LinkedIn profiles that have stated my school as their High School and I could not note anything remarkable or moderately entertaining on their Facebook page. The terrific Harvard Business School did not bring much of 'success' or 'satisfaction'. Or did it?

I went through my classmate profiles and I could not understand what entertains them either.Almost all Facebook profiles maintained that hanging out in clubs is the only form of entertainment possible. Going to clubs has gotten very old. It's gotten so old that I don't even bother staying up at night. However, that is what fun is according to Facebook.

Are we cyclically damned to hell? A terrifying pattern of boring activities? Is there not more we can offer to our meaningless lives to prevent ourselves from wasting it?

Are we just simply rats stuck in a labyrinth trying to find death?

What is your definition of fun?
What is your definition of happiness?
What would you do if today is your last day to live?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 5:08 AM
-->
Just have a nice conversation. Which is why i'm in college. Meet new people, friends. Dont care for the institution, the structure or the meaning of it. Its about how it gathers so many kinds of interesting people in one place. Its my own meaning.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today 1:08 AM
-->
Here, have a hug; that's all that I can offer you, for you are correct, we are stuck in cycles for all eternity. That is, of course, unless we blaze our own trail through the nothingness; an exercise of free will that sets us on a linear course from our present state to our destination.

That is the only exit: madness.

-Duxwing

INeedToPee

Local time
-->
i think college serves its purpose in educating. maybe not so much for us intps (i don't know about you guys, but i study calculus the best when its just me and my textbook) but for other types, they need it. but i agree that higher education has become more of an "industry" where everyone goes for the prestigious schools (to-be students and job recruiters). it sucks...

BUT i believe success should be self defined (set your own goals instead of living up to the societal standard)...

Are we cyclically damned to hell? A terrifying pattern of boring activities? Is there not more we can offer to our meaningless lives to prevent ourselves from wasting it?

like fun and happiness should also self defined. everyone is stimulated by different things. it sounds kind of cynical to say that certain activities are meaningless, since things like clubbing serves its purpose for some people. not that i would enjoy clubbing or anything (i think i would hate it actually), but just understand where others are coming from. personally, i find it fun to try new things, to explore, to waste time with close friends laughing and thinking of possibilities. but some of those things aren't so exciting for some people.

so fuck it man. live up to your own expectations, strive for your own goals, and let everyone else enjoy what they enjoy. i think the goal for everyone is happiness. and so, if today was my last day to live, it wouldn't matter what i do, but i would probably try a hard drug (probably heroin) :smoker:

koan

The Postal Poet
Local time
Yesterday 10:08 PM
-->
All my brother learned in university was a bunch of good drinking games. A friend of mine has a BA in sociology and was working retail.

Go online and become an ordained minister. It'll make you feel better.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
I think I am going to buy a Ducati and put a sticker that says 'quarter-life crisis,bitches'.

7even

Local time
Today 6:08 AM
-->
Just detach, analyse, experiment, and exploit. ;)

Or ingest a long-term drug that diminishes Ti transforming it into Te; to become an indoctrinated slave to systems of thought, culture, morality and so forth... Security will be granted.

Or fuck shit up; global terror. :storks:

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Just detach, analyse, experiment, and exploit. ;)

Or ingest a long-term drug that diminishes Ti transforming it into Te; to become an indoctrinated slave to systems of thought, culture, morality and so forth... Security will be granted.

Or fuck shit up; global terror. :storks:

Exploit? As in use your knowledge and understanding to better yourself, or use your superior knowledge and understanding to better yourself even if it comes at the expense of others?

-Duxwing

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:08 PM
-->
In the labyrinth, death finds you.

Proletar

Deus Sex Machina
Local time
Today 6:08 AM
-->
There is no purpose in life. You have no obligation to do anything, and therefore you are free to do whatever you want. Also, if there would be a god, he would understand exactly why you showed your dick to everyone at the party last night.

Nihilism, sure. But a bright one.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
In the labyrinth, death finds you.

In that case we were tricked into thinking that there is a goal. In fact there is no goal, so we must bring in the hammers and smash through the walls or in GTA : Vice City, some scissors.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
There is no purpose in life. You have no obligation to do anything, and therefore you are free to do whatever you want. Also, if there would be a god, he would understand exactly why you showed your dick to everyone at the party last night.

Nihilism, sure. But a bright one.

But it feels too real, so you never have those Lucid Dreaming moments where you motorboat a hot chick while strolling down the street.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:08 PM
-->

We're trying to find cheese. If there's death in that cheese, then dang.

My definition of fun is pretty much anything where I get to use my imagination to build a world and tell a mutual story. Also, video games.

Happiness is being pleased with your life. Some people find happiness easily, some people can't find it no matter how hard they look. People are different. I'm a pretty happy dude.

If today were my last day to live, and I somehow knew that, I would fly home to see my daughter for the first and last time.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:08 PM
-->

- Anything that I happen to enjoy.
- Any time there are more pleasant emotions than negative.
- Try to leave the people I care about with memories of the times I made them laugh and we had fun together.

Anyway you need to get out more. Or at least find a fulfilling hobby or job, the whole world isn't doom and gloom.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
We're trying to find cheese. If there's death in that cheese, then dang.

My definition of fun is pretty much anything where I get to use my imagination to build a world and tell a mutual story. Also, video games.

Happiness is being pleased with your life. Some people find happiness easily, some people can't find it no matter how hard they look. People are different. I'm a pretty happy dude.

If today were my last day to live, and I somehow knew that, I would fly home to see my daughter for the first and last time.

IT'S IN THE SUPERMARKET! THE SUPERMARKET! DUDE! OH FUCK! GODDAMNIT!!

I'd honestly ask for a grant of every historical racing car/motorbike and I'd drive/ride them high speeds through some circuit or road. I'd also ejaculate in some extremely hot female model's classy expensive dinner. I don't know why, I'd just like that whole moment of WTF.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
- Anything that I happen to enjoy.
- Any time there are more pleasant emotions than negative.
- Try to leave the people I care about with memories of the times I made them laugh and we had fun together.

Anyway you need to get out more. Or at least find a fulfilling hobby or job, the whole world isn't doom and gloom.

My problem is what happens out there. I've been there and I think it's fucking retarded! I don't like what is 'fun', I want that real shit. I don't want the memories and I don't want the people to share memories with. Sadly Go-Karting is boring now. I can't think of a job that would make me feel like I am even remotely alive. I hang out but it's no longer giving me that grin.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I can't think of a job that would make me feel like I am even remotely alive.

High-rise window cleaning
Commercial fisherman
?

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 11:08 PM
-->
My problem is what happens out there. I've been there and I think it's fucking retarded! I don't like what is 'fun', I want that real shit. I don't want the memories and I don't want the people to share memories with. Sadly Go-Karting is boring now. I can't think of a job that would make me feel like I am even remotely alive. I hang out but it's no longer giving me that grin.

Get out of the city, live in the woods. Escape the ennui of civilization and return to the beasts.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:08 PM
-->
As for your meaning I don't know what to say. You seem to have a passion for cars....can you do anything in that direction? Technical/innovative engineering....?

While I'm also frustrated with some aspects of universities, I choose to attend as I know it will make it easier for me to go where I want career-wise.

I happen to like university, shock-horror.....in fact it has given me "meaning", particularly since I spent a good decade in a job that gave me little autonomy, never again. I don't have too much interest in people but I like the challenges that university presents. I do have a sense of happiness when looking for connections and patterns, or solving problems. Also, my interest in these areas have incidentally forced me to make connections with people who have become very good friends, so bonus.

The status of the institution does not matter, if you are passionate and driven, you can take it where you want.

I have picked up various jobs through lecturers and have been offered work with a research institution who recruit people based on their potential. It is a permanent casual contract-system that allows me to remain in their employment system until I finish university. Then I will be able to apply to any position that is offered internally, and being an ecological research institution I will be more than happy to begin there. So far I have done some interesting things there, including laboratory work, data analysis and field work. The people are also great as they are all passionate about what they are doing, and they like beer :D...I must say scientist are extremely hard-working and probably just as hard-drinking....also it is a relief to be around such pragmatic beings who's idea of small-talk is the latest technological equipment, advances in scientific methods or their own hypotheses about various topics, which I find very inspiring.

I also have a retail job which is mind-numbing to the point where I want to slash my wrists....while I refuse to succumb to this kind of life I know I must get a !@$%& degree under my belt, so that alone is motivation enough.

The opportunities are there if you are willing to stick it out. So yes, I play the stupid game, but have managed to gain autonomy through asserting some tentative independence. This has happened to turn in my favour, although I risked the opposite.

I think the trick is to play by the rules until you reach some level of trust....freedom then awaits those who are persistent and smart enough to navigate the bullshit. If you are genuinely passionate about what you do, it kinda just happens, or that is my experience. I haven't finished my degree yet, but playing by the rules and establishing connections with other well-connected people have paid off to the point where the doors are open in various fields. One has to be a little shrewd, in that respect. If you don't exploit the system, it will exploit you. Acknowledge the game, respect the game, play the game......outsmart the game.

Go ninja...... :ninjahide:

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
@EyeSeeCold I don't know where you live but where I live both of them get poorly paid. In fact, I think even though my work doesn't pay I have a high quality of life in comparison to the averaged paid person.

@Kuu Gawd no. There are mosquitos and crap. Maybe suburbs.

As for your meaning I don't know what to say. You seem to have a passion for cars....can you do anything in that direction? Technical/innovative engineering....?

While I'm also frustrated with some aspects of universities, I choose to attend as I know it will make it easier for me to go where I want career-wise.

I happen to like university, shock-horror.....in fact it has given me "meaning", particularly since I spent a good decade in a job that gave me little autonomy, never again. I don't have too much interest in people but I like the challenges that university presents. I do have a sense of happiness when looking for connections and patterns, or solving problems. Also, my interest in these areas have incidentally forced me to make connections with people who have become very good friends, so bonus.

The status of the institution does not matter, if you are passionate and driven, you can take it where you want.

I have picked up various jobs through lecturers and have been offered work with a research institution who recruit people based on their potential. It is a permanent casual contract-system that allows me to remain in their employment system until I finish university. Then I will be able to apply to any position that is offered internally, and being an ecological research institution I will be more than happy to begin there. So far I have done some interesting things there, including laboratory work, data analysis and field work. The people are also great as they are all passionate about what they are doing, and they like beer :D...I must say scientist are extremely hard-working and probably just as hard-drinking....also it is a relief to be around such pragmatic beings who's idea of small-talk is the latest technological equipment, advances in scientific methods or their own hypotheses about various topics, which I find very inspiring.

I also have a retail job which is mind-numbing to the point where I want to slash my wrists....while I refuse to succumb to this kind of life I know I must get a !@$%& degree under my belt, so that alone is motivation enough.

The opportunities are there if you are willing to stick it out. So yes, I play the stupid game, but have managed to gain autonomy through asserting some tentative independence. This has happened to turn in my favour, although I risked the opposite.

I think the trick is to play by the rules until you reach some level of trust....freedom then awaits those who are persistent and smart enough to navigate the bullshit. If you are genuinely passionate about what you do, it kinda just happens, or that is my experience. I haven't finished my degree yet, but playing by the rules and establishing connections with other well-connected people have paid off to the point where the doors are open in various fields. One has to be a little shrewd, in that respect. If you don't exploit the system, it will exploit you. Acknowledge the game, respect the game, play the game......outsmart the game.

Go ninja...... :ninjahide:

I mostly refused to go to university because I was aware of my lack of self control and my self-diagnosed ADHD. I had performed very poorly in High School and I knew that my grades would be low in college as well. As I observe my classmates now they don't seem to have travelled much farther than I have in terms of employment and have way more expenses.

Surrendering myself to my parents looked like one of the stupidest things to do but turned out to be quite a wise move and I think I have saved my life. I am very susceptible of turning a complete fucking idiot.

My job provides some intellectual stimulation as I have discovered recently after acquiring my cousins work. There is financial management going in my company and it is quite entertaining to think of ways of splitting the cash. I am very noobish at it but it's still a tad more exciting. I get nervous and my hand gush sweat when things get a little hairy. Otherwise, I can spare a couple of hours to study math,play tetris, read a book, or learn more programming.

But I have applied to something rather exquisite for computer programming, if I get accepted I might go, otherwise there is really no point in wasting my parents money. Local universities don't provide intellectual stimulation and only require

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:08 PM
-->

I think the universe would be truly meaningless without life. Life gives the universe drama, where it would otherwise have none.

Meditate and relax. There's not enough time for much else. Better to accept death, then feel there are things left unfinished.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
@EyeSeeCold I don't know where you live but where I live both of them get poorly paid. In fact, I think even though my work doesn't pay I have a high quality of life in comparison to the averaged paid person.

Well I suppose that's a reason not to go with those options, but it seemed like you were looking for adrenaline.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
Well I suppose that's a reason not to go with those options, but it seemed like you were looking for adrenaline.

I actually don't think it is adrenaline as much as motor. I am a bit of a hypocrite I think, I read a lot about cars and now motorbikes but I never get involved in it. Sort of like the kid who watches whiskey in liquor cabinets.

Top Bottom