• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Can anyone suggest a career path for me?

serenitys_child

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->
Hi, my name is tish and I'm an INTP. :D

I currently work as a nurse aide in a busy hospital. I hate listening to people whine, talk, cry, and the fact that there's so many people around me all day. As you can imagine, I come home completely drained of all life and thanking god I live alone with no children.

Despite all that, I enjoy working there because there's always something to learn, challenging and requires me to be creative and resourceful with different patients. Also, I get to move all day as I despise jobs where you have to be stationary.

So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a career that requires me to move around, be creative without having so many people to interact with?

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
Yesterday 10:56 PM
-->
What are your interests?

serenitys_child

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Health sciences/biology, I thought about histology but the thought of being confined to a lab all day quickly killed that idea.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Build upon your job experience. Employers view Job experience as being much more valuable than Educational experience when evaluating candidates for open positions.

Look at the Positions in the bio-medical field that often post openings and find one or two, that seem interesting, then acquire the credentials necessary for those positions.

Few people in the 21st Century will be able to stay on a single career path for their entire lives and it may be necessary to work at a horrible job for a couple of years to gain the experience/credentials necessary to land the Dream Job.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:56 AM
-->
"Few people in the 21st Century will be able to stay on a single career path for their entire lives and it may be necessary to work at a horrible job for a couple of years to gain the experience/credentials necessary to land the Dream Job."

^ This.

Avoid entangling obligations that could chain you to any job, also. Long-term debt, offspring, a partner who lacks health insurance - they all kill your ability to change jobs, geography, etc.

Seems like the variety in your present position suits some INTP cravings. There are few situations where you can escape dealing with people in some form, though.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 1:56 PM
-->
In your industry, perhaps palliative care? Less patients I should think.

serenitys_child

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Few people in the 21st Century will be able to stay on a single career path for their entire lives.

I've noticed this

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 11:56 PM
-->
Few people in the 21st Century will be able to stay on a single career path for their entire lives.

This is commonly thrown out as a true statement but I don't see it. When I was growing up people said "oh few people these days stay with the same company anymore". In my observations neither has been true. Most of the people I've noticed stay with the same career, and more than 50% of the time they stay with the same company, at least for significant periods of time. Now I do expect this to change, and it has been changing, but slowly it seems.

serenitys_child

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Really? My mom and a lot of her friends (40/50 somethings) have all made career changes almost completely different from what they were doing unless they were in the engineering field.

Valentas

Local time
Today 5:56 AM
-->
Architect, nowadays there are only several professions which are kind of forever:

1) Medicine
2) Technology ( both fields require constant learning, which is good. I love learning.)
3) Farmers. Believe it or not. I live in rural area where many farms are around and the guys lived and had cattle for ages :) They live very well.

However, I do agree that your statement makes sense. Usually saying that people must leave that career and choose the other is not because they are bored or economy is bad. It's just new perspective to employee...which is very sad. You feel like a cog :\

I must suspect that you and your colleagues are great at what they do, thus they do not need to migrate because they are kind of...indispensable.

@serenitys_child

Yeah, there are a lot of unstable jobs where one could be left without anything next day. Also corporate world tend to make people bored, they are feeling drained of constant pressure and might want something different. It is a bad habit to do the same decade after decade. As I've said earlier, medicine is stable profession but I know a guy who did his residency(INTP) and he dropped all the stuff and became programmer. He has knowledge of medicine and programming experience which makes him indispensable in writing software for experimental biomedicine branch, also he is good at genetics and thus employers pay him six figures every three months for his work. He is kinda 1 out of 10000 who can do such job :) Though he is getting bored of it as he mentioned. :)

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:56 PM
-->
Pole dancer at one of those fancy joints. Make big money.

Top Bottom