• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Bronto's Rant Derails Thread

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:36 AM
-->
why is it that people think sticking "whom" wherever in a sentence makes them appear intelligent?

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
Today 4:36 PM
-->
Re: Why is it that those who remain calm during a conversation/debate are usually those whom are right/correct?

why is it that people think sticking "whom" wherever in a sentence makes them appear intelligent?

Why is it that people whom (usually) don't understand when 'whom' should be used in a sentence make statements like the above?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:36 AM
-->
Re: Why is it that those who remain calm during a conversation/debate are usually those whom are right/correct?

Of whom are you speaking, dearest brotosauriewhom?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

Why is it that people whom (usually) don't understand when 'whom' should be used in a sentence make statements like the above?

it's the objective form of "who" and very rarely appears in correct language, partly because it may often be omitted without sacrificing clarity. you put it fecking everywhere like some verbal bling.

"it occurs infrequently so it must be a scarce commodity and i will be admired if i flaunt it", you seem to be thinking. or rather, that seems to be the reinforcement structure which silently dictates your behavior; the conscious mind is of course busy maintaining dignity despite these ugly motives, by attending to distractive stimuli such as some trivial intellectual topic like the one in this thread. luckily, the key association between verbal bling and approval is flawed so you can just stop doing this shit without any loss in performance whatsoever.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

I never thought I'd see someone get annoyed because someone on the internet was using correct grammar.

Brontosaurie way2edgy.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

please explain how using "whom" instead of "who" is correct.

i'm not too edgy. this subject is way better than the on topic one.

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
-->

So, I don't want to involve myself in this disc- whatever this is, but it's time to shamelessly plug poetry

feeling so edgy atm
could slice a flying grain of rice
the edge is 2 close
2 the edge
of edginess
up the dimension, die mention, did I mention, diana menthol, made from her dead body, this song is the edge, don't fall off this ledge or I'll grow you into a hedge

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
-->

@ Brontosaurie

Um, what?

I don't even consciously think about which word I'm using so I don't understand how it can be a case of;

"it occurs infrequently so it must be a scarce commodity and i will be admired if i flaunt it"

Years ago when I was still in school I did give it conscious thought but that wasn't so as I was admired but rather so as I wouldn't be incorrect.

partly because it may often be omitted without sacrificing clarity

Is this the reason there is no capitalization in your posts?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

I don't even consciously think about which word I'm using so I don't understand how it can be a case of;

no, it's more of a case of poor self-awareness. i explained that further.

whom.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 5:36 AM
-->

please explain how using "whom" instead of "who" is correct.

i'm not too edgy. this subject is way better than the on topic one.

You should use whom when referring to the object of a sentence:

Who is looking at whom

However, these days it's becoming more common to use who for both subject and object; I blame laziness for this.

It explains the uses quite well here

People have been using literally incorrectly for so long that its definition is being updated to also mean figuratively...

:facepalm:

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
-->

@ Brontosaurie

So, you are better able to determine my thought processes than I?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

People have been using literally incorrectly for so long that its definition is being updated to also mean figuratively...

:facepalm:

This drives me crazy as well.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

You should use whom when referring to the object of a sentence:

yeah, that's what i said. thurlor uses it in reference to subjects and objects alike.

@ Brontosaurie

So, you are better able to determine my thought processes than I?

yeah let's switch the subject. maybe you'll not be wrong anymore.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:06 PM
-->
Re: Thread derail by whom?

Hawkeye that link was both hilarious and enlightening.

I side with Bront on this one (the bit about it being useless flavour, not that anyone using it is necessarily a stroppy wanker).

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

you side with me on this:

people whom (usually) don't understand when 'whom' should be used in a sentence make statements like the above

being improper usage of the word?

bold is the subject, underlined is the object.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

you side with me on this:

being improper usage of the word?

bold is the subject, underlined is the object.

I assumed he was being ironic here as it's the only time he used it incorrectly.

Thurlor

Nutter
Local time
-->

@ Brontosaurie

I acknowledge that I make mistakes in regards to who vs whom. But it's not even a conscious choice to use either one or the other. Like most of English grammar it seems to be habitual for me.

However this is all about you attributing motives to my behavior that just aren't so.

Asking my previous question wasn't my attempt at trying to change the subject. If the subject is that I use the words at the wrong times then I would agree with you. However I thought the subject was;

In which case I think it valid to ask how you come about knowledge regarding my motives (both conscious and unconscious) when we don't even know each other.

I'll state it clearly for the record. You are wrong. I DO NOT use the word whom because I believe it will 'make me appear intelligent' or that "i will be admired if i flaunt it".

@ Hawkeye

I wish I could claim that I was being ironic then but the truth is that I just made a mistake.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->

I hate it when people use 'too' instead of 'to.' Oh, look at you, with your pretentious extra 'o.' Uppity bastards.

I don't know whom you are speaking of, sir, but that is literally too much.

:storks:

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->

I hate when people use you're.... naa jk ur works for both:evil:

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

I wish I could claim that I was being ironic then but the truth is that I just made a mistake.

You couldn't have done it in a better place. I'd call this a happy accident, rather than a mistake. ^^

I don't know whom you are speaking of...

I think you mean:

I don't know of whom you are speaking...

:nazi:

:D

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

no it wasn't the only such error he made

bunch of idiots in here, shitty similes abound

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

no it wasn't the only such error he made

bunch of idiots in here, shitty similes abound

Put the hand bag down.

Where else did he make this error that has rustled your Jimmies so?

Also, where are the similes?

(fecking auto prediction)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

there's one in the very title of the topic

why are you all so afraid of having them jimmies rustled? afraid to show concern about anything other than astrophysics and philosophy...

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:36 PM
-->

wut dafuq bra

so edqed so raqed ovr the content in ur lyfe, nothinq wronq wit beinq pedantic but dmn qet sum mre sleep dnt b korrectinq my urs and ur's on facebook

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

there's one in the very title of the topic

why are you all so afraid of having them jimmies rustled? afraid to show concern about anything other than astrophysics and philosophy...

It could be a typo; it probably isn't, but it could be...

Anyway, you should be focusing on your punctuation. ^^

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

This is some super edgy next level grammar Nazi shit right here. You should show it to your edgy hipster friends at the next warehouse rave Brontosaurie.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

It could be a typo; it probably isn't, but it could be...

Anyway, you should be focusing on your punctuation. ^^

my lack of punctuation isn't designed to look sophisticated

it's just efficiency

This is some super edgy next level grammar Nazi shit right here. You should show it to your edgy hipster friends at the next warehouse rave Brontosaurie.

this is some super edgy next level understanding of the concept "grammar nazi".

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 10:36 PM
-->

@ Brontosaurie

I acknowledge that I make mistakes in regards to who vs whom. But it's not even a conscious choice to use either one or the other. Like most of English grammar it seems to be habitual for me.

However this is all about you attributing motives to my behavior that just aren't so.

Asking my previous question wasn't my attempt at trying to change the subject. If the subject is that I use the words at the wrong times then I would agree with you. However I thought the subject was;

In which case I think it valid to ask how you come about knowledge regarding my motives (both conscious and unconscious) when we don't even know each other.

I'll state it clearly for the record. You are wrong. I DO NOT use the word whom because I believe it will 'make me appear intelligent' or that "i will be admired if i flaunt it".

@ Hawkeye

What's the big deal with the word whom? It really is a useless word except it sounds cool. I use it to sound smart. Why do INTP's care so much about speling? Because the care about looking smart. At least I'm real about it. Who is real? grayman is real, that's whom. ;)

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->

I hate efficiency! Fucking stuck up bastards with their efficiency!

And people who wear shoes. Asswipes wearing their shoes thinking they're better than me. Like they have class or something. Dickwads!

And jimmies! Nothing rustles my jimmies more than an idiot shouting about their rustled jimmies!

*rampages like a 4 year old*

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

I don't think it was about grammar, but about a perceived attitude of superiority stemming from better grammar that wasn't really better grammar.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->

tumblr_lg31a3r0Pz1qgbabho1_500.gif

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 1:36 AM
-->

This drives me crazy as well.
Those who are driven crazy literally should have their judgment questioned. Those to whom craziness is only figurative might undergo further examination.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

Those who are driven crazy literally should have their judgment questioned. Those to whom craziness is only figurative might undergo further examination.

You're pretty cheeky m8.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->

This thread made me lol. I put off taking a shower to read this.

Also I don't worry too much about spelling. Like when INTPz miss spelled and use terrible grammar, I would get angry. Otherwise, it ain't no thang.

Literally Hitler

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->

Figuratively Hitler
hitler-817774808.jpg

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

IOW, my grammar can lick your grammar with both hands tied behind her back?

Guess what my Grammar found in his Merriam-Webster dictionary last nigh. Ur Grammar's mum.

Ohhhh swizzle that burn, baby

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

D :::

Stay away from my flower bush ! ) ===

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

I hate efficiency! Fucking stuck up bastards with their efficiency!

And people who wear shoes. Asswipes wearing their shoes thinking they're better than me. Like they have class or something. Dickwads!

just stop

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->

can't believe i'm so obnoxious that people side with the opponent even when i'm obviously right.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->

No. It's not that you're obnoxious and people are siding against you. You're just wrong.

Plus, there's no way to verify the trait you accused Thurlor of: 'thinks sticking the word, 'whom' wherever in a sentence makes them intelligent'.

I think Thurlor is actually one of the LEAST pretentious people on the entire forum, and that you're completely wrong about the reasons he uses the word, which he already explained his usage of.

Top Bottom