• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Black Panther

Cognisant

Condescending Bastard
Local time
Today, 04:40
I quite liked it.

The apparent mishmash of advanced technology and woven baskets immediately struck me as odd, as did how a single city nation could have the industrial infrastructure to manufacture various kinds of high tech aircraft , but I came to the conclusion that they're effectively operating on a post-singularity economy. When you can make anything using nanotechnology I reckon that it would lose its appeal pretty quickly, you can't impress anyone by having the latest smartphone when everyone gets it as soon as you do because everything you own is made of programmable matter which just received an update. Instead fashion in Wakanda is essentially the pursuit of authenticity, handmade goods are more expensive and accordingly more valuable because they take someone's time and effort to make. Also from the Wakandan perspective the modern western world is culturally degenerate and they're afraid of becoming like that, what we call civilized (i.e. democracies rather than monarchies decided by ritualistic combat) they see as being weak and morally corrupt.

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Today, 11:40
Aside from the silliness of having a regime determined by ritualistic combat (because the process of selecting/deposing rulers should reflect the culture's priorities, and yet here apparently it does not in practical terms) and a few other blips, it's one of the first MCU movies that left me thinking about how I should live and/or change how I live. There were hints of moral complexity in Civil War, in terms of what decisions we make and how various sides might be more than just binary moral conflicts, and this took it another step forward; Coogler definitely stepped up, but Creed and Fruitvale Station were also pretty great.

Despite the buzz (which always gets my hackles up a bit...), a decent film.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Today, 08:40
Went to watch it last night after seeing cog's recommendation
(i'm like, Cog liked it? ...must be good)

I liked it also.
I agree with the idea being how modern civilizations stray away from the right path. James Cameron's Avatar had a similar feeling to it, where "advanced" (as westerners see it) is actually a move away from what might be more inherently aligned to human needs.

Humans are tribal; humans are happiest when living in a certain organizational structure that symbolically and ethically reflects our archetypal imprint. Living in a big metropolis where everything you do for work is digital/mechanical and abstracted away (i.e. no hand-crafting) from personal meaning or accomplishment, and where you're a rat on a wheel and where your affiliation to your parent culture is impersonal.... creates soul sickness. Soul sickness breeds mental illness, meaninglessness, depression, addiction (see: rat park). We need 'narrative' in our lives and a personal connection to our culture; to feel value and to give value to our own lives and that of others.

QuickTwist

Alive - Born Anew
Local time
Today, 10:40
Went to watch it last night after seeing cog's recommendation
(i'm like, Cog liked it? ...must be good)

I liked it also.
I agree with the idea being how modern civilizations stray away from the right path. James Cameron's Avatar had a similar feeling to it, where "advanced" (as westerners see it) is actually a move away from what might be more inherently aligned to human needs.

Humans are tribal; humans are happiest when living in a certain organizational structure that symbolically and ethically reflects our archetypal imprint. Living in a big metropolis where everything you do for work is digital/mechanical and abstracted away (i.e. no hand-crafting) from personal meaning or accomplishment, and where you're a rat on a wheel and where your affiliation to your parent culture is impersonal.... creates soul sickness. Soul sickness breeds mental illness, meaninglessness, depression, addiction (see: rat park). We need 'narrative' in our lives and a personal connection to our culture; to feel value and to give value to our own lives and that of others.
I have not watched the video, but I think this is a fairly decent post in what it says about humanity. Only thing I would say different is that I don't think these things would lead to the things that Auburn talks about and would just say it leads to humans being ineffective.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today, 23:40
Aside from the silliness of having a regime determined by ritualistic combat (because the process of selecting/deposing rulers should reflect the culture's priorities, and yet here apparently it does not in practical terms) (...)
What if we do ritualistic combat each elections but the voters get to vote what arms the candidates can use for each round? Things coming from their mouths are BS anyways. Poll losers get a set of weak items depending on their position such as bamboo or bronze weapons while winners get steel and titanium ones.

Haven't watched the movie yet but your reviews tell me this is a good one.

Top Bottom