• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Being a Smartass In School

ℜεмїηїs¢εη¢ε

Local time
Today 12:47 AM
-->
Have you ever done anything like this?

Homework-Immigrant-Assignment.jpg

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
That ain't smartass, that's answering the question accurately. It's not their fault if their teacher cannot deal with it.

I argued during religion classes basically every single class... But I assume that is pretty much implied for intp's.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
That ain't smartass, that's answering the question accurately. It's not their fault if their teacher cannot deal with it.

You're being too literal. There are these things called "implied meanings" and "common sense" if you are not so familiar.

Quite frankly, unless the teacher can read Chinese, I think this is quite rude. Yeah, I'm too rule-obedient to do things like this. I am, however, the most critical and the person asking the most questions.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
:D That's totally awesome. I bet that made the teacher feel stupid.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
You're being too literal. There are these things called "implied meanings" and "common sense" if you are not so familiar.

Quite frankly, unless the teacher can read Chinese, I think this is quite rude. Yeah, I'm too rule-obedient to do things like this. I am, however, the most critical and the person asking the most questions.

Who cares if you ask if you obey anyway. :D

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:47 PM
-->
It's dumb homework to start with, I'm guessing this is for a social studies class, not an English class, but you're being forced to do creative writing which isn't going to be judged by the merit of your creative writing but it still has to be creatively written anyway.

It's a pity I'm not in school anymore, sure it was a pain back then but if someone asked me to do homework like that now I'd write a 2000 word essay for every question just because nowadays, I can.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Who cares if you ask if you obey anyway. :D

I obey rules because my teachers are very reasonable and decent individuals who truly wants me to learn. Because i actually care about how they feel and how they're dealing with the class. It gets frustrating to be a teacher with disinterested and non-respecting students. Here they are, sharing their passion, and then paper airplanes are flying across the room. and because rebellion/anarchy for its own sake is dumb.

The reason why i compared "being rule-obedient" and "questioning" is because there is this notion of contradiction between the two. There is to a certain extent, but both can be reasonable depending on the reasons behind both.

GREYGREY

Interested Party
Local time
Today 8:47 AM
-->
Lol... Future High School Dropout and later multimillionare in the making.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
It's a pity I'm not in school anymore, sure it was a pain back then but if someone asked me to do homework like that now I'd write a 2000 word essay for every question just because nowadays, I can.

Woah. That's dumb, inefficient, time-wasteful and impractical. That these are the adjectives that I thought of in the first 2 seconds after reading your post!

I obey rules because my teachers are very reasonable and decent individuals who truly wants me to learn. Because i actually care about how they feel and how they're dealing with the class. It gets frustrating to be a teacher with disinterested and non-respecting students. Here they are, sharing their passion, and then paper airplanes are flying across the room. and because rebellion/anarchy for its own sake is dumb.

The reason why i compared "being rule-obedient" and "questioning" is because there is this notion of contradiction between the two. There is to a certain extent, but both can be reasonable depending on the reasons behind both.

Are you sure you ain't an INFP or an INFJ? :D Considering the well-being of others before yours and all...

I base decisions like that on efficiency, and usefulness for me; is it practical, is it useful, is it efficient, do I need it, what good will it do for me?

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Well, first of all, most school-work is redundant and time-wasteful.

Secondly, nobody asks to write a 2000 words essay; they ask for 50 words, 100 words, maybe 150 or 200 if it's a hard-ass idiot teacher.

It's "a waste of time", not time-wasteful :p

Most of my essays at school were 2,000 words... What school did you go to!?

This number increased to 5,000 at college (UK education) and moved up to 10,000 at university (which is nothing... a mere 22 A4 pages)

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
It's "a waste of time", not time-wasteful :p

Most of my essays at school were 2,000 words... What school did you go to!?

This number increased to 5,000 at college (UK education) and moved up to 10,000 at university (which is nothing... a mere 22 A4 pages)

I'm not a native speaker, the fuck do you expect from me? :D But seriously, can't you say "time-wasteful?" I think it is correct, except not used as an expression.

College/university, that's right if we're talking about the exam essays. Over here it's about the same, it's necessary to have a long one.

As for the school, homework was 50-100 words requirement, mostly no requirement, which implied 50 words requirement. When we were writing essays in class, it was 300 words minimum, 450 maximum. Max anybody has written was about 600 or so words that I'm aware of. Usually, as far as I know, the "creative yet obedient" types were writing about 450-500 words, the "stupid and rebellious with no cause" types about 200-300 words, and me, mostly about 310-320. Used to count the words a few times when writing.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm not a native speaker, the fuck do you expect from me? :D But seriously, can't you say "time-wasteful?" I think it is correct, except not used as an expression.

"time-wasting" is the one you're after ;)

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Hm, doesn't sound right in this context. Gonna ask a writer later on today. :D

In the context you speak i.e. your quote, it would be:

That's dumb, inefficient, impractical and a waste of time.

Although, inefficient already implies time-wasting.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If someone asks me for an essay, I stare at them cluelessly, as I have no idea what the fuck they're on about. I'm at uni, I don't expect to get any 'homework'. Get out of here, these classes aren't even compulsary! (There are very few exceptions to confirm this rule, thesis is one, bachelor test is another.)

@Words : Unless the chinese signs have rude meanings, I do not think it is rude. Yes, there was some stuff implied, however, the person in question was creative and critical on a test which tests exactly that. If she wanted a parrots answer, she should have asked a parrots question. 'What does the textbook say about blabla'. Copy paste, simple. If you want kids to be critical, don't punish them when they truly are.

Your reaction is what i've always considered a negative byproduct of our education. It demands rules and conformation over critical thinking, at all times. If I use words or such which my teacher does not understand (in the language in which my course is taught), am I being rude? No, our knowledge simply doesn't overlap there. At this point teachers usually go one of two roads, either they get annoyed / give bad marks or ask to redo it / etc, or they have a chance to learn something themselves. I'd say any teacher opting the former over the latter is both a hypocrite, being rude himself and being selfish / lazy.

If the answer was given in a truly smartass / troll way then I could agree with you ( 'Find x' by underlining x in an equation, the typical 'Stacy is a woman' one, etc.), simply because they 1) typically more direct rather than 'creative' questions.
2) are answers given only to avoid having to admit you don't know.
3) tend to be more offensive (stacy is a woman one is clearly sexist)

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
I think he could have done a better job.

I mean get some newspaper or toilet paper and dip it coffee.

Maybe, burn it a little.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Are you sure you ain't an INFP or an INFJ? :D Considering the well-being of others before yours and all...

ESFJ, at your service.

I base decisions like that on efficiency, and usefulness for me; is it practical, is it useful, is it efficient, do I need it, what good will it do for me?
Oh, my respect is geared to be useful. The more I respect the teacher, the better hir mental condition is, the more 'e focuses on teaching and the more open 'e is to my questioning, the more learning I get.

@Words Yes, there was some stuff implied, however, the person in question was creative and critical on a test which tests exactly that.
How do you know this is only meant to test creativity? Is it not more likely that this was mainly to test the person's historical knowledge?

If she wanted a parrots answer, she should have asked a parrots question. 'What does the textbook say about blabla'. Copy paste, simple.
There is meaning behind writing an interpretation or a personal understanding of fact-based information. Rote memorization or "copy paste" does not show understanding, a personal interpretation does.

If you want kids to be critical, don't punish them when they truly are.
This is not even being critical. It's just missing the point entirely. Being critical is knowing what is meant and criticizing that exact meaning head on.

1) typically more direct rather than 'creative' questions.
2) are answers given only to avoid having to admit you don't know.
3) tend to be more offensive (stacy is a woman one is clearly sexist)
Your definition of smartass is strange.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
I think he could have done a better job.

I mean get some newspaper or toilet paper and dip it coffee.

Maybe, burn it a little.

To the greatest extend, he could've looked up what they were using for writing and on what they used to write, got it and probably added some blood and mud for authenticity purposes. :D

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How do you know this is only meant to test creativity? Is it not more likely that this was mainly to test the person's historical knowledge?

There is meaning behind writing an interpretation or a personal understanding of fact-based information. Rote memorization or "copy paste" does not show understanding, a personal interpretation does.

This is not even being critical. It's just missing the point entirely. Being critical is knowing what is meant and criticizing that exact meaning head on.

The question is pretty much roleplay. You don't ask people to roleplay, then rage when they take it too far. I'd say this is a creative answer to a creative question. If you want to stick serious, then ask your questions plain and serious : "Describe the situation of chinese immigrants in the west around 1870." Simple.

'Assume the role and write a letter' how is that not creative? It's almost asking you to start of with 'Dear family' and end with something among the lines of 'I miss you all very much'... Because that is so very relevant information. Oh wait.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
The question is pretty much roleplay. You don't ask people to roleplay, then rage when they take it too far. I'd say this is a creative answer to a creative question. If you want to stick serious, then ask your questions plain and serious : "Describe the situation of chinese immigrants in the west around 1870." Simple.

You're too "black and white." Things are multi-causal and multi-functional. Thus, it is not that simple. I am not saying there is no creative-function to this. All I am saying is that it is not only creative, and that probably, it is mainly knowledge-focused.

Most likely, the roleplay-part of this activity is to make something that is usually dull(answering a fact-based question) into something more fun. The creative-aspect is, most likely, just a catalyst.

'Assume the role and write a letter' how is that not creative? It's almost asking you to start of with 'Dear family' and end with something among the lines of 'I miss you all very much'... Because that is so very relevant information. Oh wait.

I still think you are being too presumptuous with the intent of activity.

Top Bottom