• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Avengers: infinity war

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:29 PM
-->
place bets whether better or worse than age of ultron

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:29 PM
-->
Better. Duh.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 11:29 AM
-->
battle scenes 25 times more massive than civil war. That was just a dumb ass airport gods sake. (Loki/Thor are gods)

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i am guessing its michael bay style movie, but i havent really watched.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
eh, Michael Bay is shit. They actually do character development in MCU, most of the time.

That being said, this film is pretty much "hit the ground running, run for 2.5 hours, then KAPOW." I really liked it, it's just there weren't lull periods where you could "rest" and I felt exhausted by the end. Even the quiet periods were edgy rather than peaceful, because of the situation.

They did go balls to the wall and followed the comic arcs pretty well, I though (and improved on them, throwing out the shite). So the end should not be a shocker to comic book readers, but I think some of the non-comic readers were blown away.

They don't have time to do a lot of character dev, which is why they front-loaded all that onto the 18 other films. Except for Thanos. He gets the most character dev and is arguably the "protagonist" of the movie if you step back and look at the big picture. He came off better than I thought he would. I didn't really want Brolin cast as him (because Brolin was just being cast in so many movies) but he actually did the character proud.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
eh, Michael Bay is shit. They actually do character development in MCU, most of the time.

That being said, this film is pretty much "hit the ground running, run for 2.5 hours, then KAPOW." I really liked it, it's just there weren't lull periods where you could "rest" and I felt exhausted by the end. Even the quiet periods were edgy rather than peaceful, because of the situation.

They did go balls to the wall and followed the comic arcs pretty well, I though (and improved on them, throwing out the shite). So the end should not be a shocker to comic book readers, but I think some of the non-comic readers were blown away.

They don't have time to do a lot of character dev, which is why they front-loaded all that onto the 18 other films. Except for Thanos. He gets the most character dev and is arguably the "protagonist" of the movie if you step back and look at the big picture. He came off better than I thought he would. I didn't really want Brolin cast as him (because Brolin was just being cast in so many movies) but he actually did the character proud.

Yeah I just saw the movie a couple days ago. I also agree that Thanos was the main character here. It did make me... cringe a little at how one-dimensional MOST of the heroes were. I was hoping more from Dr.Strange this time around, since he was basically just a cameo in Thor:Ragnarok. But as you said, they pretty much all had their character development told in their own movies. I made a point to watch a list of reccomended “prerequisites”. Spidey and Tony had a lil something resembling character development, but not much else. (Maybe because I never watched Homecoming) Maaaaybe Starlord too.

I also had some “action fatique” from the endless “our hero is in peril”! that was probably a bit unnesscary. Eg. Thor making his new weapon. What’s the point of having him hold the iris thing open til near death? So Groot could get some development? Thor has already shown he’s “all-in” multiple times. Or was it to let us know that his axe can heal him? That never means anything to the plot. Or is it just something left over from the comics? (i never read them).

Just a few minor nit-picks here and there, but it was still pretty good.
Thumbs up, solid 3.5/5. Could argue for a 4.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 3:29 AM
-->
the best part was when all the forgetabble, heartbreakingly shit heroes died

the worst part is they'll come back

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
...Spidey and Tony had a lil something resembling character development, but not much else. (Maybe because I never watched Homecoming) Maaaaybe Starlord too.

If you haven't seen Homecoming, I recommend it. It's got a more fleshed-out reasonable villain, Peter Parker actually feels like he's in high school, it has some decent laughs, and that Parker/Stark relationship is fully fleshed out there -- Stark's like the kid/playboy suddenly trying to be a father figure (without experience with his own dad) and Parker is responding to him on that level, for good and bad. What you see in Infinity War is building off that, it'll make even more sense after you see it...

I also had some “action fatique” from the endless “our hero is in peril”! that was probably a bit unnesscary. Eg. Thor making his new weapon. What’s the point of having him hold the iris thing open til near death? So Groot could get some development? Thor has already shown he’s “all-in” multiple times. Or was it to let us know that his axe can heal him? That never means anything to the plot. Or is it just something left over from the comics? (i never read them).

I think it's just supposed to be "heroic," honestly. I mean, he's like the last guy of his lineage pretty much at this point and one couldn't blame him for taking off or laying down and dying. But nope. He's kind of stubborn and thick-headed and heroic and whatever else.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 2:59 AM
-->
I'm still looking for a gal to take me to see it

o-_-o

Also ragnorok and homecoming. A bit late on those...

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm still looking for a gal to take me to see it

You're such a traditional guy!
(like in Bizarro Pakistan or something)

Also ragnorok and homecoming. A bit late on those...

I did pony up to see Ragnarok in the theater. I think it was overhyped. It was my favorite Thor film of the three, easily, but... I'm not sure why it gets ranked so high -- some of the Hela stuff was kinda clumsy. It's fun, at least.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Hah, Thor: Ragnarok struck me as a movie that had an original vision of being dark / mysterious + dangerous, but got rewritten as a comedy. Hela seemed like she was there just to have a plot. Like Goldmember in Austin Powers! Which is probably why she felt a little off. Such a serious character in a very light-hearted movie.

Still really enjoyable, was just a curveball I wasn’t expecting.

I downloaded Spiderman: homecoming now too. I shall watch that later.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 10:29 AM
-->
Thor: Dark World tried to be too funny as well. Ragnarok was okay but thought it'd be better or more grand. I think a lot of it has holes filled in via the imagination from the source material such as comics, and what could have been; etc.

I want to see Infinity War again, maybe stoned off medical cannabis this time as would have been tradition. The part where Thanos throws the moon/world at Iron Man I'm almost certain was a reference to one of his moves in Marvel vs Capcom 2 (or Marvel Superheroes).
Not sure how stoned I was watching it but I thought Proxima Midnight looked sexy, some of the fights were pretty extreme and was sad when she died. I thought the X-Men and Fantastic Four would be in it though.

As a lifelong Spider-Man fan as he was my favorite superhero growing up, I thought Homecoming did it some justice, albeit knowing it was a relaunch or do over. They possibly made him too young even and the whole Iron Man giving him the suit part was a little too much but I guess it worked. My favorite part was the Shocker and when he died they passed the gauntlet on to someone else, like how the Scorpion became the next Venom in the comics; etc. Some decent fan service here and there.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 1:29 AM
-->
I like how the way they handled Thanos here in the movie. Comics!Thanos basically just want to bang Death. MCU!Thanos is surprisingly relatable, especially in the Soul Gem arc.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
I like how they ended it, different from your typical superhero movie.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 2:29 AM
-->
So I watched the movie when I was sick using.. non-theater means, but the impression I got from the movie wasn't completely positive. Maybe it was due to the fact that I was sick and that I was in a shitty mood, but I didn't really enjoy the movie as much as I should have.

There was a lot of problems I had with the movie so I'll just list them in no particular order: too much deaths without much return value- whether emotionally or plot-wise. This goes for both the bad side and the good side. *SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY* Like for example what they did with Loki... yes it sets the motivation for Thor's revenge consequentially but on screen this emotional exposition doesn't seem to be stressed enough for the audience to really sympathize with. How about Maw? Parker and Tony just blows up a hole on the ship and he freezes to death? A complete waste of a superb character plot and action wise, and plus on a plot element level they don't even pick up his axe-wielding friend from Mt. Everest or wherever to go back to Titan. (And why rendezvous on Titan anyway?) The same could be said for the other characters from the Children of Thanos. I felt like the movie was trying to build up a great fight between Cap/Black Widow with Corpus Blade/Proxima Midnight but both characters seemed to die in a less than epic manner (or maybe because the quality of the film wasn't so good >_> but anyway). Like I would have expected the Children to die in a manner what would be sacrificial for Thanos (like in some way that would put their lives and one of the gems in the way for Thanos, and that they would sacrifice themselves for the stone during battle). In no way did the movie try and set up a scene where you would develop an emotional connection with the 4 lieutenants. Also for Thor.. how on earth did he know where to Bifrost to? (and wasn't he just on the verge of death due to opening the forge..? and at least put some effort into having the Stormhammer being able to teleport with a little more exposition rather than a single "uhhh and well in theory it can use the Bifrost" line) Also Tony Stark getting stabbed and not seriously being injured was just insulting to the audience, because a stab in cinematic lingo usually means mortal injury or some kind of indefinite out of status/operation status (but nano healing spray f*** yeah..?)

Next if they're really trying to go for the 'sacrifice' theme at least make it consistent. I mean what did Starlord do for the movie? No development there whatsoever besides the fact that he was the f*** up character (I felt... neutral when he turned to dust). Moreover if they really wanted to highlight Dr. Strange's 1 in 14billion chance or whatever MAKE IT CLEAR IN THE DIALOGUE. (like, was Stark continuing to live a must? at least say something like, you are the key, Stark, or something along those lines).

I feel like the directors where trying so hard to mold the antihero-postmodernity narrative so hard that they broke so many unwritten rules of cinematic film. Like what kind of emotion was I supposed to feel when Thanos was finally able to rest and look at the sunset? What kind of development did they emphasize and was that emphasis good enough for us to actually experience what the directors intended us to feel? If that sunset is supposed to hinge on Gomora's single sacrifice and Thano's fight on Titan I say the directors did a shit job on it. I mean look at the Watchmen for an actual superhero film that had a superb postmodernity narrative. With Infinity War... not so much. Really disappointed and I would expect something equally as cheap for them to try to redeem themselves for the second part. For me I give it a C+ at best.

Also if they were trying to highlight Spiderman's spidy senses before his death like the comic nerds are pointing out to, at least make the line into something like, my senses are going wack, or something that doesn't overlap with his humanistic side/sense of death.

On the flip side I did enjoy the fight on Titan, though obviously the ending kinda sucked. The fight on Wakanda... not so much. I really hope the DVD will have like an hour more of exposition because they really failed on screen.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 2:59 AM
-->
I haven't watched it yet but...

Isn't it sort of a rule in cinema where you show and don't tell? Criticising something for not having enough exposition is... rare?

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Also for Thor.. how on earth did he know where to Bifrost to? (and wasn't he just on the verge of death due to opening the forge..?

I think Mr.Dwarf said it could heal him at some point, but for how did Thor know? Idk maybe The Force told him it would heal him? And how did he know to go to Wakanda? Idk I guess The Force told him that too.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I think Mr.Dwarf said it could heal him at some point, but for how did Thor know? Idk maybe The Force told him it would heal him? And how did he know to go to Wakanda? Idk I guess The Force told him that too.

Pure speculation, as the movie doesn't say... but Thor basically becomes the All-Father when Odin dies/leaves. (Thor even loses an eye, just like Odin himself gave up an eye in order to acquire wisdom...) So the speculation is that this role he is now playing (the wise All-Father with knowledge, where Odin would send his ravens out to find things out for him) and equipped with a tool to use the Bifrost might also have guided him as to where he was supposed to go.

(Although we did not see him bamf to about 12 different wrong places first, hahahaha, if he did so, before getting to the right place. Just think if he had gone there in a more timely manner! Get some directions next time, Thor.)

But yeah. It's one potential plotting hole.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 1:29 AM
-->
Why he was able to dramatically enter the Wakanda fight,

I think it's because of Wong. Thor probably traced the coordinates of Heimdall's last bifrost and had a chat with the wizard to get him up to speed.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^^ that's possible. it's just kind of frustrating when we don't see it. (Although I guess it is also "afterthought" problems, because during the actual flow of events no one cared how Thor got there, it was just important he WAS there. Like, "Thor, logically you are not supposed to be here yet, so please go away"?)

Lunarious

Banned
Local time
Today 7:29 PM
-->
The best thing is the bad guy (he cried for his daughters sacrifice) wom, Thanos is his name. Haha! The revenge of the banned! ^^

LostInPlace

Local time
Today 10:29 AM
-->
Movie was the best Avengers movie that's for sure, though the bigger question is: instead of killing half of the universe why not make double the amount of food?

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 7:29 PM
-->
movie was amazing.
has potential to spawn a new religion or cult, remains to be seen which of the two.

Movie was the best Avengers movie that's for sure, though the bigger question is: instead of killing half of the universe why not make double the amount of food?
more food means more life.

Top Bottom