• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Are you responsible for infecting other people with a cold

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today, 07:02
I have a work colleague who is angry that me and my other colleague are the likely "culprits" of infecting her with the cold that is going round at the moment. She says that if we are sick we should stay home and not take the risk of transmitting it.

Do you think that this is legitimate ?

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
I am expectin zero responses for this boring topic but whatever.

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
Your colleague is mistaken, because common colds are transmittable only during the incubation period. I.e. if you notice symptoms, it's no longer transmittable.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today, 08:02
If assuming being infectious, it's actually a complex question. It asks whether you should abstain from getting paid so that others get theirs from not getting infected and sick. Which also depends on what type of sick leave policy your country has. If you get sick leave, then maybe it's more moral to not go to work and risk others getting infected. But at the same time, are you going against your integrity as the person who goes to work if you can get through the day? You're also feeding on the sick leave advantage even though you might strictly not need to

It also depends on whether you can afford to abstain from work, and how much you value or need money

Yeah, these might sound like pretty dumb questions/ statements, but if you're looking for consistency of values etc then it becomes a bit tricky.

Etc.

So what has more worth?

Adaire

Hurdurr da aDministruturr.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:02
I think you have a pretty strong moral compulsion not to spread illness unnecessarily.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
I think you have a pretty strong moral compulsion not to spread illness unnecessarily.
What if it impacts your ability to survive though? What if you're dependent on the money?

lightfire

._.
Local time
Today, 01:02
Idk I have always been around the complaining coworker types before. I would ignore them.

If you feel sick and just want to take the sick day, you can but it's your call. if I could work through it and have my medicine as needed, I'd do that.

Adaire

Hurdurr da aDministruturr.
Local time
If you're that dependent on a single's days pay then you have some other serious issue that needs to be addressed. So you need the money? Well what if you work near the elderly or someone who is immuno-compromised? Does that flip the morality meter again? Ultimately you're placing your self and/or kin above everyone else. Personal morals are frequently ignored in times of desperation, but desperation does not justify immoral acts. If you value the health and vitality of the people around you and the species in general, then it's pretty clear imo.

I also think steps should be taken to prevent such desperation, both societal and individual. For example employees shouldn't be required to wreck their health to maintain employment and individuals need to be fiscally responsible.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
I'm glad I live in a non-shithole country.

As far as I know sick leave is common across all Australian industries (except for contractors and casuals) and people are encouraged to take it. Better to have one person sick for a day or two then to have everyone getting sick and potentially sicker than if they'd taken time off to rest.

No sick leave and having to go to work sick just to survive sounds like something out of the grimdark universe of WH40k.

Even as a part timer in retail I had sick leave, I wasn't encouraged to use it but I wasn't discouraged either.

lightfire

._.
Local time
If you're that dependent on a single's days pay then you have some other serious issue that needs to be addressed. So you need the money, well what if you work near the elderly or someone who is immuno-compromised? Does that flip the morality meter again? Ultimately you're placing your self and/or kin above everyone else. Personal morals are frequently ignored in times of desperation, but desperation does not justify immoral acts. If you value the health and vitality of the people around you and the species in general, then it's pretty clear imo.

I also think steps should be taken to prevent such desperation, but societal and individual. For example employees shouldn't be required to wreck their health to maintain employment and individuals need to be fiscally responsible.

I see what you mean actually. I knew of an immunocompromised person who went to work everyday and worked hard, and I looked up to that person and would go to work thinking omg what am I doing complaining of a dumb cold. But yes I do see how it is counter intuitive to go to work sick in that case.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 15:32
I work childcare, and almost never get sick. I'm no superhuman, I just use sanitiser whenever I move around, don't touch my face unless I've just used sanitiser, and don't do anything obviously stupid.

I can't require other people to take responsibility for their sickness, because kids don't understand germ theory.

Also, as Serac says, it's contagious before you know you have it (although iirc it's also contagious after you show symptoms?).

I think in almost every instance of transmission, both the contager and contagee are messing up somewhere down the line. If you take responsibility for your side of things, you should be able to avoid most illness.

Happy

ENTP
Local time
Today, 16:02
Wear a mask. Don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but where I live, nobody thinks you’re a weirdo if you wear one of these, because so many people do it:

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Today, 15:02
In Japan it's social etiquette to stay at home if you have a cold. I think it's bollocks though.

moody

Local time
People like someone to blame. If it never bothered you enough to stay home and you weren’t being gross, you’re fine to me.

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
We have to show consideration for the immunosuppressed and never leave the house, just in case.

Nah, unless you work with a bunch of people with AIDS, there's no moral component to carrying a goddamn cold.

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
Wear a mask. Don’t know what it’s like elsewhere, but where I live, nobody thinks you’re a weirdo if you wear one of these, because so many people do it:

Okay. Where I work everyone will absolutely think I'm a weirdo if I do this.

Happy

ENTP
Local time
Today, 16:02

Okay. Where I work everyone will absolutely think I'm a weirdo if I do this.
Just carry a longbow and nobody will even question the mask.

washti

rr
Local time
It depends. Symptoms may unexpectedly increase during work. In the morning you can not have any of them or at most just some hoarseness. in this situation i wouldn't blame.
for reasons of hygiene and image, you should dismiss yourself home

but if you're sniffling and coughing over me as client during damn procedure which already is taking more than half an hour, you should die.

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
I mean, I am careful not to touch people, and I do wash my hands. I'm not the worst. But I would never take a day off for a cold. I would consider that beneath me :D

If it was something more severe like a flu that makes you throw up or whatever then yeah I would take the day off.

I'm hardly ever ill though, probably the only reason I get colds that last more than three days is because I smoke.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today, 02:02
It’s her own fault for being weak and allowing herself to become ill.

If anything, she should be thanking you for testing her immune system.

Hah, nah, there is some nuance here. I wouldn’t recommend spreading any illnesses for the sake of it, but you also shouldn’t expect everyone around you to help you maintain a bubble-boy ultra-clean room world.

You’re looking way too deeply into it though. People just like to place blame on others. It’s fun, you should try it sometime.

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
She's constantly complaining, blaming and accusing actually, it's very boring.

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
Is she a baby boomer? I can see baby boomers unironically accuse people of giving them a cold

higs

Omg wow imo
Local time
Nah she's like 28 I think, just an annoying person really.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today, 02:02
My brother and mother are both like that. They can do no wrong, and complaining is breathing.

They can give you a logical 33 step process of how something is ACTUALLY that guys fault, and not their own.

Such unpleasent people, really.

lightfire

._.
Local time

Serac

A menacing post slithers
Local time
I think she feels ignored and unappreciated in life. higs, I think you should invite her to your home for dinner.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Let's crank this up to 11, shall we?

Let's say you're at a party and this person who is of great interest to you is starting to flirt with you quite a bit. Say you've both been drinking a lot and are pretty sloshed. Now things get hot and heavy and you both end up with each other in bed. Then, 3 months later at your annual physical they do an STD test and you come out positive for something.

Who's fault is it?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 15:32
Theirs, unless you live your day-to-day not knowing whether you've got STIs.

Get that dick check on the reg champ.

Top Bottom