• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Anticipation VS Adaptation

DIALECTIC

Local time
Today 8:48 AM
-->
As an INTP are you a better strategist anticipating (Ne) potential scenarios or a better tactician adapting (Fe) to current reality ? Anticipating is what i love best but i have to be inspired for it, adapting is what i do out of stress / instinct / survival mode... Sometimes i manage to do both pretty much at the same time...

I found adapting (keeping my head down and blending in) gives me more time to perfect the ideal anticipation for my next stage of evolution... However the problem i found in the past is if i adapted for too long i then lost the motivation to anticipate (to change the status quo) and the danger was to become too similar to the status quo / environment i had adaptated to and wanted to change / improve in the first place...

Publius

Local time
-->
They work with reciprocity...you get experience from adapting to situations and applying it to future scenarios.

Having said that, being INTP and spending 90% of time in my head I tend to anticipate scenarios that will never happen, but most people here would probably say the same thing.

Hayyel

Local time
Today 10:48 AM
-->
Even if I would anticipate something happening I find that I generally don't care enough to actually do anything about it, thus I generally just adapt to the new circumstances. I know, I'm lazy but then I feel like the things I experienced in my life made me grow out of the phase of wanting and hoping to change the world.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I never adapt. In my values system, to adapt is weak. Though, to adapt can mean a lot of different things, and so can anticipating. So what are we talking about here? Give me some context.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
I would've thought adapting would be Se? If so I anticipate when I've adapted to the same situation many times in the past, because I have experience to draw information from. I adapt in new situations because I don't have any prior knowledge of the task.

Adapting and anticipating don't work well as abstract concepts, in the same way that math does, so please provide context as own8ge has suggested.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
I never adapt. In my values system, to adapt is weak. Though, to adapt can mean a lot of different things, and so can anticipating. So what are we talking about here? Give me some context.
Adapting when you have no other choice i.e when you are an outsider / a minority, therefore you are the "weak" amongst the strong (eg: the potential victim/bullied amongst the potential bullies)... You adapt to the environment and make yourself stronger than you really are by unconsciously adopting the ideal persona (Fe), so after a while you can think and act exactly like the "strong", you are no longer weak, in fact because you can anticipate the actions and reactions of the strong (but deep down you do know you are not one of them), you become stronger than the strong !

Maybe i should have used the word "assimilate" instead of adapt...

as·sim·i·late

/əˈsiməˌlāt/
Verb

• Take in (information, ideas, or culture) and understand fully: "assimilate the week's events".
  • Absorb and integrate (people, ideas, or culture) into a wider society or culture: "pop trends are assimilated into the mainstream".

Synonyms
digest - absorb - imbibe

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
My problem is that as soon as I was born, people tend to be afraid of me. I am not human. I don't adapt to humans. I don't anticipate humans. I transcend humans.

Muahahahaha. :evil:

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:48 PM
-->
Definitely better strategist, but I have learned to adapt as I can see the benefits of modifying tactics to suit outcomes; this I experienced when involved in a project where I was given free reigns to formulate strategies, but had to work with other people in developing tactics. Working with other people is my weak point....but the world of possibilities for creative thinking opens up when faced with the confrontation of having to rethink one's own methods in the light of other people's perspectives. I find it highly stimulating although frustrating at times as I usually have such a clear and instant vision in my head while being somewhat convinced that my methods/tactics will work better.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:18 PM
-->
I put a lot more energy into anticipation, but adaptation is a lot more efficient for me.

Magus

Local time
-->
I put a lot more energy into anticipation, but adaptation is a lot more efficient for me.

This, definitely. I anticipate things to high levels of anxiety. When I actually do said thing its never as bad as I thought but if I become too apprehensive I may pull out altogether (which is when there is a problem).

Adapting is usually quite easy. The challenge here however is to tell people as I make changes so they are operating on the same page. INTPs can actually be pretty competent in groups but communication is key.

Top Bottom