• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Ambitious?

FlorisV

Local time
Today 9:57 AM
-->
Which of you INTP's would call yourself ambitious? And why, what are you ambitious in?

I've read more than one INTP profile that mentioned "slacker" and "underachiever". I recognize myself in this because my only ambition seems to be to live comfortably, by simple means and I could not care in the least about my position in terms of career. More money but also more responsibility at the cost of freedom does not attract me at all.

I wonder sometimes how authentic my lack of ambition is since all "normal" people seem to have at least some ambition, work hard...but looking inside I can't really find fear, only lack of motivation to be a great achiever. There's so much more in life than work, I just need some food on the table and I like my peace and quiet. I have some ambition in wanting my creations to look and sound good (making a video game now).

But not caring about being "better" (whatever that is) than everybody else, I never quite understood other people's ambition. Maybe it's less testosteron, or an energy saving strategy, or rationality dictating ambition is for suckers who can't value spare time?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 4:57 AM
-->
Its a good sentiment. I feel the same.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
Today 10:57 AM
-->
I guess it's a hard subject to self-assess, but yeah, I would say I'm ambitious. I have a deep fear of the status quo, and I don't understand people who are content with just living comfortably without any bigger vision for themselves. This is of course a purely subjective thing, but imagining that I one day, as an old man, will be lying on my death bed and thinking that I have simply lived a comfortable life mostly just chilling out and doing the usual stuff everyone else was doing -- that image makes me immensely sad.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 3:57 AM
-->
I may not be an INTP anymore. I'm kinda ambitious. I want to be successful, and I look out for my own progress. However, my end-goal is independence, not prestige.

DarkStar

*lack of title*
Local time
-->
Anywhere the grass is brown and the water deadly.
I understand your sentiments FlorisV. My only real ambitions are to live comfortably and have fun. What exactly goes on past that, will happen as it does. There's no real need to get out and make an insane amount of money, that will cause problems, or to be famous, as that's more problems. Living comfortably and having fun makes the most sense, to me at least.

emmabobary

*snore*
Local time
Today 5:57 AM
-->
I would say I'm ambitious. I have a deep fear of the status quo

I can identify with that quote :)

The idea of "end of the road" doesn´t process in me. Instead there´s like an axioma "every boundary is likely to be broken".
I would call myself ambitious.
I want to be recognised, I want my ideas to be applied to the real world, I want to live in a more pragmatical world and I want to help building it.

Redfire

and Blood
Local time
-->
Small and fulfilled ambitions are much better than large and unfulfilled ones. And I think that if you succeed in getting a videogame published, and it's a cool videogame, you have already accomplished more than most people.
Just keep up the good work!

As for me, it depends. Sometimes I just want to read and have a good time, maybe write something someday, and then I'm happy. Other times I want to take over the world, and then I'm miserable.

fatti

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:57 PM
-->
I may not be an INTP anymore. I'm kinda ambitious. I want to be successful, and I look out for my own progress. However, my end-goal is independence, not prestige.

This is absolutely me. I actively fight to climb the ladder but certainly not to be in the leadership position but more to have control over what I do day to day and not have to live by someone else's rules or processes.

I have actually changed job descriptions under me so I am directly responsible for less people as that is not a part of the role I enjoy.

At the level I am now, I make most of my own rules and processes and nobody looks at what I do day to day which I like.

Of course I am now looking at the next level up and focusing on the strategy and overarching component and gearing up to make that leap simply as I think that will be a better fit for me.

Then after that? I cant see me stopping at the next level.

Rainer

Eater
Local time
-->
INTPs need to free themselves from the strictures of standard employment and realize their own power as masters of their own time and destiny. Only when we are in a position to utilize our innate strengths as free agents, not beholden to bureaucracies or authority figures above us in a hierarchy, and rebuilding our inner initiative that was beaten out of us at a young age for our undisciplined ways, can we really soar and benefit society. We are not lazy, we just want the freedom to be masters in our own expansive, generalist way, the ultimate thinkers, Renaissance women and men and perceivers of life's beauty and paradox.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 8:57 PM
-->
I'm ambitious. Not for money, but to live an interesting life and be recognised as a notable contributor to my field. Those are my two most important life goals.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
INTPs need to free themselves from the strictures of standard employment and realize their own power as masters of their own time and destiny. Only when we are in a position to utilize our innate strengths as free agents, not beholden to bureaucracies or authority figures above us in a hierarchy, and rebuilding our inner initiative that was beaten out of us at a young age for our undisciplined ways, can we really soar and benefit society. We are not lazy, we just want the freedom to be masters in our own expansive, generalist way, the ultimate thinkers, Renaissance women and men and perceivers of life's beauty and paradox.

I'm not quoting this because it helps me answer the OP. I'm quoting this because God damn - bulls eye!

But, ambitious? Not exactly, I dont think. My concern tends to be with the journey as opposed to the destination.

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
Not ambitious. What does that even mean? Like really where can ambition really get you? For whatever accomplishment you are able to achieve there's probably someone out there, or there used to be, who's accomplishments dwarf yours, so the competitive aspect makes no sense.

It's not necessary to be ambitions to be satisfied throughout or at the end of your life, looking back, either. That depends solely on the individuals expectations of himself.

Any satisfaction derived from ambition just seems to be derived from something arbitrary at the added cost of feeling guilt or negative emotions when you fail to live up to those ambitions. Satisfaction can be derived from processes as others have noted.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Today 2:57 AM
-->
Not ambitious. What does that even mean? Like really where can ambition really get you? For whatever accomplishment you are able to achieve there's probably someone out there, or there used to be, who's accomplishments dwarf yours, so the competitive aspect makes no sense.

It's not necessary to be ambitions to be satisfied throughout or at the end of your life, looking back, either. That depends solely on the individuals expectations of himself.

Any satisfaction derived from ambition just seems to be derived from something arbitrary at the added cost of feeling guilt or negative emotions when you fail to live up to those ambitions. Satisfaction can be derived from processes as others have noted.

To reconize your abilities and to utilize them to their greatest potential. In this way ambition has nothing to do with failure or comparing yourself to others.

But I suppose unrealistic ambition is more commonly promoted. i.e. After all, if you truly believe it, you can become president some day.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Speltdavid Bathconsumerpod is the lymphognomic conseptulate magnitrate of Boltish accendry. Behold this fortunate and splendid career. The product is called Bazengan Quarkenthaler Condiment and the marketing is called Strategic Finances.

We have developed a bunch of cool techniques for rapid product acquisition. The first one is called KREBDE ALPE and the second one is called POLTET IGDYK and the third one is a random option selecting one of the previous techniques for additional value. With the power of rapid product acquisition you may then select a further product as well as a product variant. We offer goods like KHLGUHK PABEL and STERKE BÖRNEN

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
To reconize your abilities and to utilize them to their greatest potential. In this way ambition has nothing to do with failure or comparing yourself to others.

But I suppose unrealistic ambition is more commonly promoted. i.e. After all, if you truly believe it, you can become president some day.

We're probably using different definitions to ambition. My understanding of the word is that it is much like a long term goal or objective with the distinct characteristic of being quite difficult to achieve and possibly something quite grand.

If the definition is simply - A strong desire to do or achieve something, and something like eating an ice cream could be called an ambition then I'm talking about the wrong thing.

Although I feel like most people are alluding to the definitions I gave or something similar when they use the word ambition. Generally when people talk about their ambitions they aren't gonna talk about some trivial everyday occurrence, like wanting to eat an ice cream, they usually talk about their life ambitions or ambitions in terms of their careers.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 8:57 PM
-->
We're probably using different definitions to ambition. My understanding of the word is that it is much like a long term goal or objective with the distinct characteristic of being quite difficult to achieve and possibly something quite grand.

If the definition is simply - A strong desire to do or achieve something, and something like eating an ice cream could be called an ambition then I'm talking about the wrong thing.
I think the definition lies somewhere between these two.

I think to be ambitious (not the same as having an ambition) is to consistently set goals and work towards them. Not a singular long term goal, but rather, always be working towards something, as opposed to stagnating. Somewhere in the middle lies contentment.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->

Although I feel like most people are alluding to the definitions I gave or something similar when they use the word ambition. Generally when people talk about their ambitions they aren't gonna talk about some trivial everyday occurrence, like wanting to eat an ice cream, they usually talk about their life ambitions or ambitions in terms of their careers.

You're right. Ambition is a special kind of desire. Its specifically used for large scale, long term, difficult to achieve goals, typically aimed at - though not exclusively used for - career attainment/advancement.

Generally speaking, of course. It is widely applicable, but a specific kind of desire.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->

If this is their definition then it makes sense that most people don't succeed and spend their life unsatisfied and depressed. It seems they are setting goals that were doomed from the start. When they could have done something useful with their life they instead spend it as a failure.

My definition still involves goals, it just puts focus on how those goals are to be set.

Goals should always be fully achievable and moving. What your abilities and your situation are always changing and your goals ahould be working in tandem with that change and not against it. As long as they are constantly moving you will eventually achieve what was once thought impossible. I suppose I support the concept of evolving your goals instead of engineering them.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 3:57 AM
-->
Speltdavid Bathconsumerpod is the lymphognomic conseptulate magnitrate of Boltish accendry. Behold this fortunate and splendid career. The product is called Bazengan Quarkenthaler Condiment and the marketing is called Strategic Finances.

We have developed a bunch of cool techniques for rapid product acquisition. The first one is called KREBDE ALPE and the second one is called POLTET IGDYK and the third one is a random option selecting one of the previous techniques for additional value. With the power of rapid product acquisition you may then select a further product as well as a product variant. We offer goods like KHLGUHK PABEL and STERKE BÖRNEN
:applause:

ENTP lurker

Usually useless
Local time
-->
Yes, being the ultimate basket case/ space cadet. Doing pretty good job already...:D
Cosmo Kramer, you have some competition...

knyl2013

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I want to create something amazing and present it to the world, am I ambitious because of that?:confused:

bluebell

Redshirt
Local time
-->
There seems to be a mixed response.. I was quite curious if it could be said that INTPs are generally unambitious, because I feel that I have always been.

Considering I'm going through depression right now it's not surprising, but even back in school when I still had some ideas about career goals and whatnot, those were of the "I guess I gotta do SOMETHING, everyone says I have potential, so xy doesn't look all too bad"- kind.

On the other hand, being "special" is something I have always been much more concerned with. I used to think that meant being a high achiever, then I had to readjust to thinking it means being a highly developed individual, regardless of professional success. Maybe those are different outlets for the same sort of ...energy.

Could be that I would think differently if I didn't know I'll be able to fall back on a nice heritage. Big old house I can keep myself busy with and a small but secure income from rent. That takes a lot of the pressure away that could lead developing ambition.

Nebulous

Local time
Today 5:57 AM
-->
I really depressed for a few years, and didn't have much ambition at all. Anger, which I could sometimes use as fuel to go after some goals, but not really genuine ambition.
But part of my recovery from depression involved me realizing how much potential I have.

I'd say I'm an ambitious person currently. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I've been getting better at looking into the future and seeing the possibilities that life might have to offer. Like I'll think of some cool idea of what I could be doing in the future, and then go 'hey, that could actually happen if I did this and this and this..' And as long as it's not impossible, why not go for it?

I want to put a story out there, whether it's a book, animation, music, or some thing else. Something that will make a difference to individuals and in turn society.

I've found that I'm much more motivated to do things when I'm doing it for others, instead of doing something for myself.

I'm probably an INFP though, but I thought I was an INTP for a while. /._./

YOLOisonlyprinciple

Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
I dont understand the concept of looking back at your life when you are old.
Is life just a storybook? What if you get Alzheimers and memory loss so you cant remember anything does that make all your life's achievements null?
Doing anything in life for the sake of ticking it off a checklist doesnt really make sense to me.
Honestly every single day one should put behind their past achievements and look forward. Doing stuff because you dont want to have lived a boring life is just lame.

That being said i have a thousand cool stuff i wanna do, not because i want to do those "cool stuffs" but because i want to feel how it is to do those "cool things".
And i probably will never stress myself to do something which i dont want to do, but have to do just for ticking off the checklist.
I only do things at my pace, if some goal of mine isnt fulfilled, im least bothered.

And as far as people telling ambition is usually "career related" "field related" or "status related", i value my life to be way more valuable than being able to be defined by my contributions to a "field", a "company" or "society".

I dont give a fak about any of those, i just want to do things which look cool to me, and i want to keep my skills/character sharp enough to be able to do cool things, but at my own pace.

As INTPs, we would be better off thinking how "x achievement" will feel to me, rather than how "x achievement" will look from a 3rd person's point of view.
Do you want to buy that expensive car because it will really be luxurious/ sensuous when you drive it, or do you want to buy it because you will look really cool when you imagine yourself driving it(ie, how it will look to others/ societies' norms)?

As free thinking INTPs i dont see any need to be influenced by society's norms and expectations or the consumerist ideology, being influenced by such factors will just reduce one's net satisfaction.

Personally, a day comprising a walk at a beach, having tasty coffee at your local favourite coffee shop, going to a local play/drama and having some hot road side eatables on my way home. That i would call a perfect day, and i wouldnt regret it even if every day of my life is like that, i dont care if it is boring, i just like to live life in bliss.
Although ofc i want to do more stuff in my youth before my skills decline, but im not too stressed over it.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
It's funny; when I was younger I could be seen and perceived as ambitious(mainly because of my dummy surrounding and the feelings of underachievement)... Now that i'm surrounded by truely hardworking, succesful, smart and ambitious people I actualy dn't feel ambitious anymore. Crazy. So yeah, I'm probably ambitious because society says so, but I don't particularly feel so.

dang

Local time
-->
As an INFJ, I am very ambitious with regard to self understanding and happiness and being ethical. Does that count? I believe it does. I feel like the terms productive, ambitious, and successful have all been hijacked by our modern capitalistic paradigms. I feel that contemplation is undervalued in our society.

Top Bottom