• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

After your INTP brain has been on a high for several weeks non stop...

DIALECTIC

Local time
Today 7:40 AM
-->
Hello !

What do you do when you have been living/thinking/intuiting on a "high" for several weeks just like if your brain had been running on a uranium... And then suddenly your cognitive functions are just "meh", you need more sleep, you get up later, your thinking is not as sharp, you can't concentrate on what you're reading, you have less strength, you have less appetite etc.

It's like from unbounded evolution/progress mode (energy must be used because you have way too much !) you then switch to restrictive conservation mode (energy must be conserved). Is the INTP's super brain "tired" and lost all momentum and needs to accumulate more in order to go back to evolution mode ?

Any remedy ?
It's like life is suddenly just mono (more right brain than left brain in my case, hence the sudden shitty verbal skills and lack of concentration/optimism) instead of the orgasmic stereo (synthesis between right brain and left brain) ! :o

Ink

Local time
Today 8:40 AM
-->
I have no idea what you mean, sry...

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Going from "super brain" (stereo) to "normal brain" (mono) i mean...

Ink

Local time
-->
I don't relate, how does your behavious differ on the different brains?

defghi

Local time
Today 12:40 AM
-->
This is similar to how I feel right now. I've been improving a lot at socializing for the last year or so, in the last few weeks I felt like I hit a huge breakthrough and was able to be really outgoing, even for long periods of time, and now all of a sudden it's just... back to normal. Which is fine, very mono... but not the awesome stereo.

I know in my case it's just switching the ne/fe on to high power mode, but I can't find the switch. I like the way you put it with being in energy conservation mode- I was thinking something like that, and hoping maybe better eating/exercise would help

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 2:40 AM
-->
Nasty.

It might be that you are using your cognative functions in a different order than you should be using them. I would suggest turning down the external sources of information and find time to just think.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Nasty.
It might be that you are using your cognative functions in a different order than you should be using them. I would suggest turning down the external sources of information and find time to just think.
Could you elaborate ?
Id rather think than read or listen to podcasts etc. but i do need these first in order to generate new ideas to think about later. However right now i can't concentrate long on what i read/listen to and i can't decontextualize the info in order to work on it. In other words my brain is much slower... It happens now and again. I am always scared i am not going to go back to full power, it does come back but sometimes it takes a few weeks, maybe the brain has to regenerate somehow after several weeks of hyperactivity etc.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I first need to know if your emotions change when this happens. It very well could be Bipolar.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 1:40 AM
-->
It happens, family and friends used to think I was slightly bipolar. Curing it might be like curing a soprano of her voice.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 6:40 PM
-->

Yeah I don't think either.... :D Although when I have bi-polar type behavior it's normally really intense high then low in a period of a few hours/days.

pariahmariah

pariahMariah
Local time
-->
This happens to me sometimes too. In fact, I've recently asked about this in a thread... a few weeks ago anyway. The responses I got pointed to stress. I'm still not so sure. I'm leaning toward brain fatigue because that what it feels like. It can last up to 3 weeks for me but then my brain is hot on another trail again and I am able to comprehend information again. I've learned not to fight it. To me, its like a defense mechanism to prevent some sort of overload. I always come out okay though.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Basically what I'm seeing here is that you just need to learn to push on through. Hope that helps. If it doesn't, just see a psychiatrist.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
I first need to know if your emotions change when this happens. It very well could be Bipolar.
Well, emotions pretty much always the same these days as i do everything i can for that: i meditate twice a day (including a long group Zen meditation every thursday night), my nutrition couldnt be much better and i go to gym 6 to 7 mornings a week...

However my emotions havent always been like that as they used to control and fuck my life up, now they enhance it... You live and learn...

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
It can last up to 3 weeks for me but then my brain is hot on another trail again and I am able to comprehend information again I've learned not to fight it.
Yes that's me... It's like i need to find something to fuel my intellectual interest again (sometimes it can be something as trivial as a word or a quote unlocking a new idea etc.) but then while im like that i can't and yes just like you it can take about 3 weeks until my brain works fully again (synergy between left and right).

By not fighting it what do you do ? i mean what are your activities while you wait patiently ?

To me, its like a defense mechanism to prevent some sort of overload.
Yes i came to that conclusion also.

pariahmariah

pariahMariah
Local time
-->
Yes that's me... It's like i need to find something to fuel my intellectual interest again (sometimes it can be something as trivial as a word or a quote unlocking a new idea etc.) but then while im like that i can't and yes just like you it can take about 3 weeks until my brain works fully again (synergy between left and right).

By not fighting it what do you do ? i mean what are your activities while you wait patiently ?

By not fighting it, I mean just let it pass naturally. When you feel the urge to jump into and idea, then do it. When you're experiencing intellectual limbo, just let yourself go into auto pilot.

During this "down time", I try to connect with friends I've been neglecting, fiddle with other hobbies like art, or catch up on some movies/tv shows. After awhile of re-connecting with the world outside of my own thoughts, I usually stumble across something interesting that gets me going again.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->
Nasty.
would suggest turning down the external sources of information and find time to just think.
Thank you !! Over the last week or so i have done exactly what you advised me to do ie read less, but think more, and also wrote more... So basically i "created" more and it worked just perfect !
I remembered also that when i was a child i didn't need to read much at all...

Thank you Sir to have put me back on the right track !

"Reading is equivalent to thinking with someone else's head instead of with one's own."
Arthur Schopenhauer

“If anyone spends almost the whole day in reading...he gradually loses the capacity for thinking...This is the case with many learned persons; they have read themselves stupid”
Arthur Schopenhauer

7even

Local time
-->
You'd honestly be surprised what a good diet and exercise could do - brings out a very noticeable change. People seem to forget their body has a great influence on their minds.

Top Bottom