• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Advanced WereWolf AKA Mafia Strategy..

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->
Cheers, tittles.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 7:04 AM
-->
Decent read.

... All that talk of eating villagers is making me hungry.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 5:04 AM
-->
Wow thank you! This is great information. It all makes a lot of intuitive sense too, but it's the kind of thing that would take someone (me) a long time to work out alone.

The hard part is getting over the scrambling feeling enough to be that deliberate. I guess that just takes practice.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 8:34 PM
-->
We should probably consolidate mafia theory if we can. I was thinking of starting a thread for arguing strategy (only to be posted in between active games).

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
We should probably consolidate mafia theory if we can. I was thinking of starting a thread for arguing strategy (only to be posted in between active games).

When you're new and haven't heard this shit before, yeah, totally. After hearing it for the 20th time, doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I don't mind consolidating mafia theory into fewer thread necessarily, but a thread can get long and tedious to go try and find something for people new to the game. I suggest a dump thread with links to other threads where issues can get discussed in their own proper terms.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
While I like huge wiki-like dumps for info, I worry that getting bogged down in theoretical strategy might add to the "meta" issue we have going on.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
While I like huge wiki-like dumps for info, I worry that getting bogged down in theoretical strategy might add to the "meta" issue we have going on.

I am a little unclear on what meta issue you are talking about or just the context that you are using it.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I'm referring to the tendency to use regular forum posts and outside interactions to try to deduce whether a person is acting scummy in place of observing their in-game play.

I just meant that posts in the theory thread might be used for ammo against the poster when they go to play an actual game.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'm referring to the tendency to use regular forum posts and outside interactions to try to deduce whether a person is acting scummy in place of observing their in-game play.

I just meant that posts in the theory thread might be used for ammo against the poster when they go to play an actual game.

Normally I wouldn't think people would use that type of thing for their advantage, but I know better round these parts that you can't just set up a rule that is basically "use your better judgement."

For that reason, you make a fair point. One way to solve the problem is to double down on the consequences of talking about the game outside of the thread. TBH, I don't think this is the best solution though. I mean yeah, it sucks that people are talking about the game outside designated areas, and I'm not really sure how to solve this problem at this point - people just can't help themselves. That's why I suggested OC as an option. This would mean assigning more areas where the game can be discussed, but obviously still restricted. Loosening the reigns so to speak.

Thoughts?

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
What's OC? (sorry if it's obvious)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
What's OC? (sorry if it's obvious)

I don't think its obvious. OC is outside communication. Its where players have the freedom to talk about the game outside the game thread given certain limitations. IDK what those limitations would wind up being at this point. I'm just throwing something out there to see what people think of it at this point. Could be that the host has to be in on the conversation or something like that.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I suppose.... oooooooor people could just not cheat. Because really, outside, moderated conversation might as well just be in the game thread. If people communicate outside the thread, if gives an unfair disadvantage to the less social people and those with limited free time.

Now, I can totally see giving the mafia/wolves an additional disadvantage while allowing "day talk". That would be pretty interesting, actually. But there's no reason for town to talk outside the game when they should be talking in the game. (unless I'm missing something)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I don't think it'd necessarily increase the meta-stuff. If you can only post in it so long as there's no active games, you can't use it to influence at all.

If it stabilises the meta, by for example, bringing it to absolutely everyone's attention that lurking is bad, or that shitposting is bad, or that getting bogged down in an ad hom slog is bad, or that trying to do super complex things is bad, or that lynching blue claims is bad... well... it would be like forum canon. Instead of having to go through this stuff every single game we could just link to the thread and people are brought up to speed. More of a learning tool than anything. Guides from other sites are good, but they're also kinda disengaging.

That said, I'm exhausted and probably wouldn't bother contributing to it myself, not for a while anyway.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Reading the thread, I now fully understand how retarded my tunnelling was on Hado. Clearly, there's a huge divide between the games I used to play, and the games played here ('proper' Mafia Vs a crazy-ass free for all).

Of course, it would be more than possible to come to these realisations independently were I not averaging 4 hours of sleep per night :mad: the drop off in cognitive ability is god awful. Until you have been there, you have no idea. None.

;_;

Right, I'm ready to go again. Come on, fuckers. Let's do this!

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Also gleaned from reading linked thread: my VT play seems to be pretty scummy.

B-)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
This is the first time I've done anything more than skim a guide. It does provide some clarity. I do recommend. It's so... structured? I think if people refer to this guide as a baseline for behaviour, that would simplify games immensely and improve town's win-rate.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
I think so too, but there will always be outliers. I sincerely believe that my wolf game will be indistinguishable to my town game, because that's just how I roll anyway. Time will tell, I guess.

Just reading through the seer part (have already read town/wolf). Some interesting ideas, certainly.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Oh it's definitely not going to detail the entire complexity of the game. There will always be 'outliers'.

But, if every town nailed people for doing the things in this guide, while they wouldn't be 100% right, it would be less of a chaos-pot than it is now. ATM it's as if anything can be thought of as scum-sign or town-sign depending on the extremely subjective perceptions of the individual player. If everyone agrees not to kill a uncced blue role unless they've got good reason, that's less PMJ still being in my face and causing everyone to focus their attention on Hado and PMJ. Hado and PMJ can then spend their efforts scum-hunting, and the attention they would draw from town then gets redistributed among the players in service to (hopefully) more legitimate reasons, and town is stronger.

Edit: My money is on your wolf game being spotted day three.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Oh, really? Bring it ;)

Also, I still think you're a scum. Blue role my arse >___>

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
I think I've actually rolled more blue than green roles in my career. No red though... Only time I've been red I had to replace in to get it.

Top Bottom