• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

A work in progress.

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:00 AM
-->
Hello all,

I'm a male from New York approaching middle age. Musician, slacker, but I consider myself pretty conscientious for an NT. I test as ENTP, INTP, INTJ depending on the phase of the moon.

For some reason I seem to be extremely approachable in public. I envy those with "resting bitch face". You don't know how good you have it.

I have really taken to the concept of minimalism... I was a pack-rat for most of my life, just collecting records, movies, video games, clothes, musical instruments. No more. I have donated more than half of what I owned and only kept what actually makes me happy.

Ambition is overrated. So are fiction novels. I prefer historical accounts, memoirs, and textbooks or instructional books.

Usually I'm much more humorous but I didn't sleep well nor have breakfast. But I wanted to say hello and warn you I might be spending some time here. ;)

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
Hi man. I like music and arts too. Musician also not pro and not intp.
What do you think about vinyls? I have been thinking about buying a disc player for them. They just look gorgeous and bohemian.
Today I bought 2 chinos and one new sweater. I'm trying to look more my age.
Well... Dunno what else to say. Have fun over here.

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
Today 2:00 AM
-->
Hello all,

I'm a male from New York approaching middle age. Musician, slacker, but I consider myself pretty conscientious for an NT. I test as ENTP, INTP, INTJ depending on the phase of the moon.

For some reason I seem to be extremely approachable in public.

Maybe you're handsome and not telling us?
Anyways, welcome to the boards!

I take it you've seen the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade up close on a number of occasions? If so, would you say it's better, normal, or worse and why?

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
What do you think about vinyls?

I enjoy the social aspect of them; play them without being able to skip a track and appreciate the full album as an art-form. Great for company. Listening by myself? I usually just use my Amazon Echo for that. Recently deleted 14,000 songs on my iPod and I honestly don't miss it. I can access all of that stuff any time thanks to YouTube. And the song I forgot about on my iPod or haven't listened to yet (yes, there were well over a hundred albums I bought and never even heard)? Was it that important anyway?

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Maybe you're handsome and not telling us?
Anyways, welcome to the boards!

:o I'm not ugly, but when I have to be in public I actually use very harsh body language so nobody bothers me. I think it has the reverse effect because maybe it draws too much attention to me. For example, I practically dashed through the supermarket today because Saturday afternoon shopping is too crowded and I hate being boxed in by octogenarians with shopping carts. I know exactly what I want and where to find it, get outta my way granny!

I take it you've seen the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade up close on a number of occasions? If so, would you say it's better, normal, or worse and why?

No, but I went to a St. Patrick's Day parade a few years ago as sort of a rite of passage. Fire marshals would have shut down every single bar in Manhattan that day.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 9:00 PM
-->
Are you a bass man or a treble man?

Do you work in wall street?
giphy.gif

Why are New Yorkers so fucking impatient? A lot of them move to Florida on the East Coast by the beach and they will honk at people for not driving fast. I've on a couple occasions thought of sabotaging their tires, especially when it takes me a moment to put my car in gear and start going. Fucking douches. And then they are all super-liberal, which is fine, but they are so snotty about it. Pricks. So is that you?

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 6:00 PM
-->
I enjoy the social aspect of them; play them without being able to skip a track and appreciate the full album as an art-form. Great for company. Listening by myself? I usually just use my Amazon Echo for that. Recently deleted 14,000 songs on my iPod and I honestly don't miss it. I can access all of that stuff any time thanks to YouTube. And the song I forgot about on my iPod or haven't listened to yet (yes, there were well over a hundred albums I bought and never even heard)? Was it that important anyway?

Hmm see I have an opposite approach. I often do data recovery for friends and family and my payment is in the songs I recover from their hard drive. I just put them all onto my device and then for the next year or so depending on how many they have I have a playlist of random music I haven't heard before.

I'm starting to recognise all my songs now though... it would be unfortunate if someone's computer had an, accident.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Hello all,

Is this literal, or just turn of phrase?

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Are you a bass man or a treble man?

Mostly neither. I'm a drummer. But I play guitar (decently) and piano (sparingly) a little too.

Do you work in wall street?

No, I'm not suicidal.

Why are New Yorkers so fucking impatient?

What's the point of working on something or going somewhere if you're not going to be efficient about it? We're surrounded by millions of people and there's a lot of competition to be better, faster, smarter, prettier, and bigger than everyone else. What may be amazing to someone in rural Florida isn't even a blip on the map here.

A lot of them move to Florida on the East Coast by the beach and they will honk at people for not driving fast. I've on a couple occasions thought of sabotaging their tires

There's that southern passive-aggressive behavior we all know and love. How does it go? Bless your heart?

Fucking douches. And then they are all super-liberal, which is fine, but they are so snotty about it. Pricks. So is that you?

If I was comparing my backwater state to a city that is the envy of the world, I'd have an inferiority complex too.

Thanks for the welcome and parsing me down to a lowest common denominator version of the region I live in. I gave it right back to you, how does it feel? ;)

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
-->
Thanks for the welcome and parsing me down to a lowest common denominator version of the region I live in. I gave it right back to you, how does it feel? ;)

LoL. You sound like a New Yorker. X)

I lived on the east coast for awhile, so I got to see the Thanksgiving Day Parade but didn't see the St Pat's one. Missed out. How was it?
btw, I think Yankee fans are the best baseball fans in the world. Do you like the Yankees? (not to say the Mets are bad, I've just never met their fans)

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm a Yankee fan. I had the pleasure of seeing some amazing 90s playoff games at the old Cathedral... thinking about some of those memories still gives me goosebumps. I don't think there's anything more "New York" than old Yankee Stadium.

But I'm mostly a hockey fan--I had season tickets to the New York Islanders 2014 and 2015 before the move to Brooklyn. I have a scrapbook of ticket stubs and game logs, newspaper articles (just links, no clippings). I've gone to charity dinners with the team. It's the best kind of philanthropy, having a beer with Bobby Nystrom and shaking hands with Pat LaFontaine, Clark Gillies. It's too bad the slogan "the beautiful game" was taken by soccer, because that's how I feel about hockey. I think I should have been born Canadian.

I'm going to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto next year, but Cooperstown is on the way...

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Turn of phrase. I test as INTP with a weak I and a weak P, but my functions seem to lend themselves to INTJ. I probably appear as an ENTP on good day when I have high energy.

Not as interesting than.

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
-->
I'm a Yankee fan. I had the pleasure of seeing some amazing 90s playoff games at the old Cathedral... thinking about some of those memories still gives me goosebumps. I don't think there's anything more "New York" than old Yankee Stadium.

Hey! That's about the time I saw 'em. Not in the playoffs, that I recall, but same era.
But I'm mostly a hockey fan--I had season tickets to the New York Islanders 2014 and 2015 before the move to Brooklyn. I have a scrapbook of ticket stubs and game logs, newspaper articles (just links, no clippings). I've gone to charity dinners with the team. It's the best kind of philanthropy, having a beer with Bobby Nystrom and shaking hands with Pat LaFontaine, Clark Gillies. It's too bad the slogan "the beautiful game" was taken by soccer, because that's how I feel about hockey. I think I should have been born Canadian.

I'm going to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto next year, but Cooperstown is on the way...

Sounds fun! I'd probably be more of hockey fan if they stopped acting like boxers. (*cough* Ok, so NYY vs Det wasn't exactly civil either. *cough*)
Islanders have had some decent seasons. They seem to be missing something by way of luck though since it seems like they haven't made it past 2nd round. Which is too bad, 'cause I think they're a better team than their record shows. They changed their coach not too long ago, right? What do you think the team is missing?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 9:00 PM
-->

...feels like you thought I was talking about you, lol. But I don't even live in Florida, just visit sometimes for family. So yeah.

Anyway...may the blood of your enemies shine thy blade in Valhalla!

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sounds fun! I'd probably be more of hockey fan if they stopped acting like boxers. (*cough* Ok, so NYY vs Det wasn't exactly civil either. *cough*)

Fighting is way down in the NHL. I can take it or leave it, honestly. In the US, I think movies like Slap Shot set the game back for years because of that perception. Practically every other sport features dozens of criminals, dopers, and otherwise horrible people. Very rare in hockey.

Islanders have had some decent seasons. They seem to be missing something by way of luck though since it seems like they haven't made it past 2nd round. Which is too bad, 'cause I think they're a better team than their record shows. They changed their coach not too long ago, right? What do you think the team is missing?

Well management in the 90s was so bad it really put the team in shambles between bad draft picks and signings like Alexei Yashin (10 years) and Rick DiPietro (15, still on the books and missed about 300 games due to injury before being released). Between that and arena issues that have been plaguing the team, it's been pretty tough being a fan, but John Tavares has led the team to a few playoff berths and having Doug Weight behind the bench (24-12-4) has been a boon. He just cleaned house and put together a coaching staff of retired NHLers. I think barring injuries, we can see a 90 pt. season from Tavares and possible Eastern Conference contention.

They were the 2nd best team in the East after the All-Star break last year. Problem was, they were in 30th place at the break. From January to April they went from 30th in the league to missing the playoffs by 1 point at 17th place.

There's something about New York fans. They are tough to please but they get rowdy as shit when things are going right. Nassau Coliseum was incredibly loud.

Here is a snippet of Game 3 of the 2013 first round of the playoffs (I can't get the attachment to work properly) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJCHQBJNrCI, a 12 noon game on a Sunday. My buddy and I were tailgating at 8:30 AM and I think everyone in the place was nice and toasty.

bass_n_treble

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hey! That's about the time I saw 'em. Not in the playoffs, that I recall, but same era.

I had a long post about the recent history of the Islanders with a YouTube video accompanying it, but apparently it never showed here. Disappointing.

Doug Weight just put together a solid coaching staff. Their offense is going to be great this year, but I'm worried about young d-men and the future of the goaltending tandem. They're a frustrating team. It's like being Jets or a Mets fan, the consistently just do something stupid and don't treat their fanbase very well. But I bleed orange and blue, what can I say?

Movies like Slap Shot were detrimental to the image of hockey in the US. Fighting is way down, and the "goon" archetype only exists on rebuilding teams. Too much talent out there to give up a roster spot for someone to just rack up PIMs.

Top Bottom