• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

A moment of your time please.

What goes with what?

• A

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • B

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 8:17 PM
-->
RTEmagicC_08_08_Shaules_02.jpg.jpg

Which goes with which? The first thing that comes to mind would be appreciated, and using the spoiler tag explaining your choice would be most welcome.

Also, it is advisable that the reply be made before reading into the comments below.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 5:17 AM
-->
Grass

Though I can't honestly say it was a "first thing that comes to mind" decision, due to the size of the image on the screen and the positioning of the elements. I had seen the chicken and grass before the cow, and then the explanation after that. I assumed at first, for some reason, that we were supposed to match the grass to either the chicken or the cow. I interpreted it as fur, and thought "cows have fur, and while chickens have tiny fluffy straight feathers near their skin that kinda looks like that, it's too course looking. It must be the cow's".

Then, when I realized we were supposed to associate either the grass or the chicken to the cow, I had pretty much already chosen the grass. Besides, lumping chickens and cows is simply because of farming tropes. Cows and grass actually go together in that cows prefer to eat grass more than they like to eat chickens.

That whole process probably lasted less than a second, but I'm a high-speed, slow thinker.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Today 4:17 AM
-->
I noticed the chicken first but the one I am strongly inclined to select is the grass. Although the cow and the chicken can easily categorized as animals, the grass seems more important and relevant to the situation.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 12:17 PM
-->
A cow necessarily needs grass but definitely does not need a chicken. Although there is similarity in that they are both animals, you necessarily find grass and cows together while you do not necessarily find chickens and cows together. Are you going to tell us what this is about? Am I about to find out something deep about my psyche. I chose grass spontaneously and then reasoned it after.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
Grass goes with cows more appropriately than chickens go with cows.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Is the absence of color necessary for your experiment? Is it even possible to even recognize that as grass without first having the other images to give the grass image some context?

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 1:17 PM
-->
Since I have to pick, B, a cow have no use for a chicken, but good quality grass is yummy.

Rualani

You Silly Willy
Local time
-->
Cow eats grass

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
What Grayman said.

Sly-fy

Local time
Today 9:17 PM
-->
B. Duh.

EDIT:
I`m just considering the possibility that they might have wanted us to pick an animal to go with another animal. However as other than both being farm animals, a chicken and a cow make no obvious sense of going together since they`re not mutually beneficial, and as a cow needs grass to survive, and grass needs cow to fertilize it, and a chicken doesn`t have any kind of a symbiotic relationship with either, my brain went for B.

EDIT 2:

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Okay well this is interesting. Brian R. Little, one of the world's most renown psychologists stated that most westerners would categorize the cow with the chicken because they are both animals. Easterners however, i.e. East Asians, would choose the grass because of the relational connection the grass has with the cow, i.e. cow eats grass.

Here: http://www.theemotionmachine.com/ho...r-minds-in-profound-ways-we-dont-even-realize

I guess most of you are actually East Asian in the inside (or maybe it's because we have supposed Ti dominance?)

There are also the "Rule-Based vs. Paradox-Based Thinking" "Fixed Self vs. Dynamic Self" and the "Analytic Focus vs. Holistic Focus" and so on.

Sly-fy

Local time
-->
Okay well this is interesting. Brian R. Little, one of the world's most renown psychologists stated that most westerners would categorize the cow with the chicken because they are both animals. Easterners however, i.e. East Asians, would choose the grass because of the relational connection the grass has with the cow, i.e. cow eats grass.

Here: http://www.theemotionmachine.com/ho...r-minds-in-profound-ways-we-dont-even-realize

I guess most of you are actually East Asian in the inside.

The only stereotype that applies to us INTPs is that we transcend stereotypes.

BTW, thanks for the very fascinating article!

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
A.

Clearly, chicken and cow are more edible than grass. Got to have a glass of milk with your eggs. Or a meat soup with chicken broth. Much more delicious than grass. And more interesting to watch them grow.

Also, obviously two animals vs plant... mobile vs immobile.

Sly-fy

Local time
-->
A.

Clearly, chicken and cow are more edible than grass. Got to have a glass of milk with your eggs. Or a meat soup with chicken broth. Much more delicious than grass. And more interesting to watch them grow.

Also, obviously two animals vs plant... mobile vs immobile.

LOL an interesting point of view! But...
There is no right or wrong answer it would seem!

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 7:17 PM
-->
A chicken and cow dish sounds really tasty!

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I wrote my answer then looked at others. I only saw the chicken because in scanning I dismissed the need to see the grass (maybe colored clear pictures would help) until I read the question and had already associated the two as food. I knew grass was the answer I was "supposed" to answer once I saw then both but I had the same initial thought as Kuu.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Not exclusively in or around grass, they eat earthworms too. You've got to admit, that that's a bit of a stretch.

I merely saw that both cows and chickens connect with the grass. I would say that in a natural environment both are exposed to grass. Factory farming in no way diminishes where cows or chickens came from, which I think was around grass. The causal link between cows and grass is the same for the chicken but I can see this in a three way relationship.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
To me, the chicken, because that gives me a taxonomy like "farm animals". I don't give a shit what the cow eats for dinner! Also, the connection between chicken and cow is a more general one, whereas the connection between cows and grass strongly depends on the context.

Sly-fy

Local time
-->
To me, the chicken, because that gives me a taxonomy like "farm animals". I don't give a shit what the cow eats for dinner! Also, the connection between chicken and cow is a more general one, whereas the connection between cows and grass strongly depends on the context.

One like you said has to do with taxonomy and the other with codependency, but at the end of the day they`re both correct and the answer is purely subjective and only indicative of your pattern of thinking vs. other people`s embraced pattern (both of which lead to valid albeit different conclusions.) It`s like one person saying 2+2=4 and another answering that 2+2=2(2,) doesn`t mean anyone`s wrong, just that they look at things differently.

Tannhauser

angry insecure male
Local time
-->
One like you said has to do with taxonomy and the other with codependency, but at the end of the day they`re both correct and the answer is purely subjective and only indicative of your pattern of thinking vs. other people`s embraced pattern (both of which lead to valid albeit different conclusions.) It`s like one person saying 2+2=4 and another answering that 2+2=2(2,) doesn`t mean anyone`s wrong, just that they look at things differently.

What if you replaced the chicken with a horse, or even another cow? The people who chose grass are gonna be confused out of their minds, whereas I can comfortably stick to my taxonomy logic.

Or, what if one replaced the grass with water. Surely, cows have to drink water just as much as they have to eat grass. But saying that cows go with water in this case sounds ridiculous.

Sly-fy

Local time
-->
What if you put a horse, or even another cow as A? The people who chose grass are gonna be confused out of their minds, whereas I can comfortably stick to my taxonomy logic.

If there were two were vertebrate mammals to pair, I wouldn`t for a second hesitate to pair them. However, as one was a bird and the other a mammal that made them too distant in my eyes, therefore prompting my brain to look for different links through which to connect them.

None the less, your logic is right! My logic is also right! That`s the whole point - it`s kind of a trick question and not an IQ test question. It`s meant to help show you your brand of thinking you use as an individual and how it compares to the alternative way which is prevalent in different cultures of thought. Ergo, it`s a win-win!

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 6:17 AM
-->
At first, I associated the grass being eaten by the cow. But then I began to think of cows and chickens as both animals. This seems to have something to do with determining something by its function rather than essence. By my reading of the Hellenes and the Chinese, I can see how essentialism is something Platonic and functionalism being something found in the Yi Jing or the Dao De Jing.

TBerg

Local time
-->
I would be interested to see from Onestep how he thinks he fits into the East-West continuum.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I would be interested to see from Onestep how he thinks he fits into the East-West continuum.

I get asked this a lot actually. I don't remember exactly how I'd answer them. But I'm a lot more western than eastern, generally speaking.

I know how to navigate in both of the cultural dispositions, but I feel like I expend a lot more energy in a more eastern environment. I have to be a lot more assertive and reading into the mood all the time, whereas in a western environment I know I could flat out express my disagreement and get a dialogue going. It's a lot more energetic but not as consuming.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 7:17 AM
-->
Since he already posted the results without a spoiler, I'm not using one either.

I matched the cow with the grass, since it was the most blatant relationship I could see.

I don't put chickens and cows in the same class because we make a distinction between one being a bird and the other a mammal. (This is a connection made even when very young here in the states, and we are even sloppy about it by calling one an "animal" vs a "bird.") You might well say a cow is connected to a worm. Incidentally, if you had offered a connection between birds and worms, I would have made that connection -- not because both are animals, but because birds eat worms.

Meanwhile, cows eat grass every day to help them produce milk and meat, so... the connection there is far stronger in my mind.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
At first, I associated the grass being eaten by the cow. But then I began to think of cows and chickens as both animals. This seems to have something to do with determining something by its function rather than essence. By my reading of the Hellenes and the Chinese, I can see how essentialism is something Platonic and functionalism being something found in the Yi Jing or the Dao De Jing.

yeah but the cow and chicken dont really form a given duo despite both being animals, maybe if there was a third animal.. like a fish or something, then they'd form a trio, as it is the cow and the grass harmonize into a unit more naturally

Silent Sage

Local time
-->
"A" would imply human interference (a farm)

"B" is a natural connection.

TBerg

Local time
-->
yeah but the cow and chicken dont really form a given duo despite both being animals, maybe if there was a third animal.. like a fish or something, then they'd form a trio, as it is the cow and the grass harmonize into a unit more naturally

You even use the same language as the Chinese government. Next thing you know, you'll be joining a Confucius Institute and become a Mandarin. :storks:

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
Chicken, both are animals. Making the connection between grass and cow requires for you to have some knowledge on their mechcnaics in life.These conditions can change.

PaulMaster

Local time
-->
Chicken, both are animals. Making the connection between grass and cow requires for you to have some knowledge on their mechcnaics in life.These conditions can change.

Making either (any) connection requires some knowledge, though.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Being absolutely honest, I didn't realise B was grass until someone mentioned it. I thought it was just a mass of lines, and that this was a question of 'is this an animal (A), or an abstraction that vaguely resembles an animal (B)' :D

I went with B :evil:

Urakro

~
Local time
-->
(No need for spoilers, I'm way down here at the bottom).

I thought B as well. I have a strong opinion, but I am not sure if it's any more conclusive than anyone else's.

I thought about what happens when we are searching for something specific among clutter. Or, for instance, in my messy kitchen, I can quickly and easily separate garbage from dishes. First, dishes are round and white, utensils are metallic and shiny. Anything other than that is not dishes.

If you'd sit with a pack of cards, and start dealing them in two piles based on their suit color, initially (if it's your first time), you might think a while with each one, but very soon you'll start separating them ~3-5 cards per second. It's then that you'd realize that numbers, suits, and pictures don't mean anything, and you set your vision to completely ignore those details, only focusing on it's colour.

In the image of the O.P., I think there is more visual attributes that match better between the cow and the grass. First, they are both darker while the chicken is white. They both relatively have a more similar shape than the chicken, and the rotation of that shape is also similar. Overall, they look more alike than the cow does to the chicken. Hence why 81% of the people are unconsciously choosing the grass, but explaining their decisions in all this agricultural stuff.

That's just my hypothesis. And those who chose chicken are just rebellious.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
Making either (any) connection requires some knowledge, though.

Cow and grass is less general and dependent on the context for meaning. Cow and chicken is broader category of animals.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Farm animals. That's where I got A. I thought about food as well. I could tell it was grass, but didn't like the idea that the cow consumes it, so I went with the two that complement each other best, much like a primary color and a secondary color, like red and green.

Eidit:
Also, on second look, the chicken is more aesthetically pleasing to look at fmpov.

Top Bottom