Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Politics & History > Politics & History Archive

Old 26th-September-2008, 05:53 PM   Decaf's time 26th-September-2008, 09:53 AM    #1
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Default Martial Law as Status Quo

. This is the first time active duty military has been given a non-training mission inside the country since the American Civil War.

For those who don't live inside the States, this is no surprise to us citizens. Control of our own country was lost long before I was old enough to vote. Historically this has been one of the first steps taken before a government becomes Totalitarian in nature, so expect the outward face of the country to resemble what the shadows on the inside already are. There's no reason to be too scared of the US finally shedding its pretense of Democracy, because if trends continue the US will have to declare bankruptcy (unless the entire world forgives the debt that exists) in the next 10-15 years due to short-sighted money management schemes.

I know the second paragraph is paranoia speaking, but the slide the US has been going down as a direction and I'm just trying to see the bottom. I suggest everyone do some searching on their own to convince themselves this is true.
Old 26th-September-2008, 06:44 PM   Kuu's time 26th-September-2008, 12:44 PM    #2
Kuu
Alchemist in a gilded (c)age

Default Re: Martial Law as Status Quo

Not surprising at all...

It'll be interesting to see when and how the next national emergency manifests itself... Will it be that impending economic collapse? Hmm...

You guys should rename it Orwellia, its well overdue. "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength" Check, check, check. Only the cult of personality has been replaced by cult of materialism...

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do Asimov

A sane person to an insane society must appear insane Vonnegut

Man is not meant to have sexual relationships with dairy products Anthile
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-September-2008, 06:58 PM   IntenseBurger's time 26th-September-2008, 01:58 PM    #3
IntenseBurger

My idea of getting the heck out of the states is solidifying....

rapidly

-Salvador Dali
IntenseBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:05 PM   fullerene's time 26th-September-2008, 06:06 PM    #4
fullerene
Resident Member

Quote:
For those who don't live inside the States, this is no surprise to us citizens. Control of our own country was lost long before I was old enough to vote.
from one libertarian to another, you definitely don't have to try to convince me that the bottom is near... but what do you mean by this? I'm old enough to vote for the first time as of this election--and I hardly even want to... certainly never for the major parties. How was control of the country lost, though? Most of my friends, ever since people became old enough to entertain a mature thought, definitely loathe the thought of the government having even half the control that it now does... but we didn't see it in anyone else at all. How have they lost control?
fullerene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:06 PM   Agent Intellect's time 26th-September-2008, 06:06 PM    #5
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseBurger View Post
My idea of getting the heck out of the states is solidifying....

rapidly
is giving up and leaving the best way to go about it, though? there was revolution against tyranny before, why not again?
Agent Intellect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:08 PM   fullerene's time 26th-September-2008, 06:08 PM    #6
fullerene
Resident Member

...severely hampered by the death of the right to bear arms. When people started interpreting that right by the letter of the law and not its spirit, and denied the right to carry automatics and other massively-destructive weapons, the possibility of a revolution plummeted.

How do you fight missiles and tanks with pistols and handguns? Rebellion isn't feasible anymore... at least in my opinion.
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:11 PM   Agent Intellect's time 26th-September-2008, 06:11 PM    #7
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

wouldn't need to be a destructive war with missiles and destruction. kill the right people instead of a lot of people. i'm not saying it would be easy lol
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:30 PM   Decaf's time 26th-September-2008, 03:30 PM    #8
Decaf
Professional Amateur

How about the ultimate irony? We buy old Russian military equipment I'm sure we could get a discount.

That being said, its quickly becoming that a Gandhi-esque rebellion is the best chance we have.
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:30 PM   Jordan~'s time 26th-September-2008, 11:30 PM    #9
Jordan~
Resident Member

You do realise that you're plotting a rebellion on the Internet? FBI might not like that. :P

- Joanna Newsom, Monkey & Bear

Jordan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-September-2008, 11:35 PM   Decaf's time 26th-September-2008, 03:35 PM    #10
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Technically I think that's the NSA's area of responsibility. If they have anyone in the whole agency that knows anything about type, I'm sure they wrote off the INTPforum as a potential source of trouble long ago. Brilliant plans, minimal execution.
Old 27th-September-2008, 12:59 AM   Jordan~'s time 27th-September-2008, 12:59 AM    #11
Jordan~
Resident Member

But we could rouse an army of impressionable _F_J-types to do our bidding for us through sophistry and rhetoric.

Old 27th-September-2008, 01:06 AM   Ermine's time 26th-September-2008, 06:06 PM    #12
Ermine
is watching and taking notes

Wow. Not surprising, but surely the police should have that area under control. This is what you get when the federal government thinks nothing but logistics and forgets about the big picture. Also funny that the the expression "1984" is all too common when referring to politics and no one (in the government at least) is taking a hint.
Old 27th-September-2008, 01:12 AM   Apathy's time 26th-September-2008, 07:12 PM    #13
Apathy

The reason why the people have lost control of the country is mainly because the political leaders are all backed by major multinational corporations and conglomerates. Money is power. Political positions can lead to even more power. The problem is that money and influence are needed to reach political positions more than qualifications, therefore the majority of those in decision making positions are rich people with influencial friends.

Rich people (pardon my generalizations) are greedy and put their own best interests first. One of these best interests is to keep their influencial friends happy, and this leads to biased policy and corruption.

People who become politicians are usually overly ambitious and are those who seek power. The people that should be the decision makers of society are those intellectuals that dont really want the power, maybe even some of us.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-September-2008, 01:21 AM   Ermine's time 26th-September-2008, 06:21 PM    #14
Ermine

Decaf, I have a really important question to ask. Do you know where to find a credible article on that piece of news? All I can find are copies of that youtube video and blog rants. Makes me wonder if this video was a fabrication. I understand that the big liberal-influenced news channels wouldn't want to show stuff like this, but surely there are some credible news sites with this.
Old 27th-September-2008, 02:09 AM   Agent Intellect's time 26th-September-2008, 09:09 PM    #15
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

the worst part is that people generally don't care. i showed the video to 3 people now, 2 of which said they didn't care and 1 said they thought it was probably actually a good thing.
Old 27th-September-2008, 02:55 AM   Decaf's time 26th-September-2008, 06:55 PM    #16
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando_the_weasel View Post
Decaf, I have a really important question to ask. Do you know where to find a credible article on that piece of news? All I can find are copies of that youtube video and blog rants. Makes me wonder if this video was a fabrication. I understand that the big liberal-influenced news channels wouldn't want to show stuff like this, but surely there are some credible news sites with this.
Here's the article that started everything. The video I linked to took some liberty in how it was announced that made it sound worse than it needed to, but I assume it was to point out the potential abuse of something that really should never be allowed if only to prevent the unscrupulous (such as the current administration) from abusing it. This is why we don't have a king.
Old 27th-September-2008, 04:01 AM   Jordan~'s time 27th-September-2008, 04:01 AM    #17
Jordan~
Resident Member

Oh, monarchs aren't so bad. You know the Queen actually makes us more money than she costs? She pays voluntary tax, brings in tourist revenue, and the income of the royal estate goes to the government - all of her wealth comes from her private investments, and inheritance from the royal family. So the royal family are a blessing, and besides, they give us character - we'll never be Just Another Faceless European Republic if we have a monarch.

Old 27th-September-2008, 04:12 PM   loveofreason's time 28th-September-2008, 02:12 AM    #18
loveofreason
polymorph

Like watching a script unfold. A particularly despairing script. If I were a US citizen and hadn't already made myself a safe escape I'd be resigning myself to going down with the ship about now.

I guess I can't really express the scope of the implications, but for those of you in there with empire and the illusion of freedom crumbling about your ears... blah. I can say nothing meaningful.

Traveller, there are no roads. Roads are made by traveling. spanish proverb.

Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything. Between the two, my life flows. Nisargadatta Maharaj.
loveofreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-September-2008, 08:03 PM   eudemonia's time 27th-September-2008, 08:03 PM    #19
eudemonia
still searching

The problem of an intensifying anti-democratic centralisation combined with an apathetic electorate is something that we too experience. We are constantly giving power away to the EU which is run by an unaccountable cadre of apparatchiks. Whilst we elect our euro MPs its done by proportional representation - so you don't vote for the person, you vote for the party. No-one holds the member of the european parliament accountable apart from the political party. Besides that, probably the most powerful body is the european commission. This is a non-elected body of eurocrats that propose new law - which MEPs have to ratify. There are often so many laws proposed that no-one gets the opportunity to scan them and sometimes thay have to ratify a raft of laws on the nod - no-one knows what they are voting for, they simply assent to the laws in order to get them through.

No-one follows european politics so they get away with blue murder. A lot has been written about the corruption and nepotism of the EU. The democratic deficit is well known and accepted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democra...European_Union

But what do you do

I have been thinking of joining a political party - but they are all part of the problem. We as citizens have been truly disempowered. I was seriously thinking of protesting with the anti-globalisation movement at one time - but I am not sure that they are anything more than anarchists (no offence to any anarchists reading this).

Jeff Faux has written a book about the global elite who have taken power throughout the world - 'The Global Class War - How America's bi partisan elite lost our future and what it will take to win it back. It starts out with this story:

A corporate lobbyist was trying to persuade Faux to vote in favour of a political bill: "Don't you understand?" she finally said. "We have to help Salinas. He's been to Harvard. He's one of us"

This global elite has more in common with each other than they do with nationals in their own country - and they are determined to keep it that way.

Daniel Hannan, an MEP and journalist writes on this topic too but 'who really cares?'. It makes me so mad

And if we who know and understand about this, feel and act disempowered what hope do we have?

Also they say that young people are less political today than they ever were - where are the young radicals, the Martin Luther Kings, the Nelson Mandelas, the Che Guevaras, the Malcolm X's. why are people so apathetic - even the young.

I'll shut up now - I need something to calm me down.
Tennyson
eudemonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-September-2008, 08:37 PM   NoID10ts's time 27th-September-2008, 02:37 PM    #20
NoID10ts
aka Noddy

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 27th-September-2008, 08:45 PM   eudemonia's time 27th-September-2008, 08:45 PM    #21
eudemonia
still searching

That is powerful stuff and I'd never have believed it could have come from an American. Revolution, resistance, justifying blood spilled in a fight against the elite. My whole paradigm of what it is to be American has just been dealt a severe blow. But what happened after Jefferson.....?

btw -where did the quote come from?

And, what about my question re what we, who are relatively enlightened, DO about it?
Tennyson
eudemonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-September-2008, 09:01 PM   NoID10ts's time 27th-September-2008, 03:02 PM    #22
NoID10ts
aka Noddy

I recently watched the tv mini series "John Adams" and was really struck by it. John Adams was a fascinating character but the portrayal of Thomas Jefferson made me want to learn everything I can about him. I think the founding fathers of America had it right, but I think they would be alarmed at what is happening now. The intriguing thing about Jefferson is that I think he knew it would be lost in time and felt like new revolutions would need to occur.

It seems like governments don't get smaller no matter who is in charge. They swell in size and restrict their citizens in one way or another until something gives way. I also suspect that every generation cries "foul, its all over, the end is near" but things have a way of moving forward and we all just adapt.
Old 27th-September-2008, 11:51 PM   grey matters's time 27th-September-2008, 05:51 PM    #23
grey matters
The Old Grey Silly One

[quote=Decaf;16836]
. This is the first time active duty military has been given a non-training mission inside the country since the American Civil War.

Shit Decaf, I had no knowledge of this. What the fuck kind of rock have I been living under? (Hey, by the way are we allowed to say fuck on this forum? I have so far been able to get away with shit but I'm not so sure about fuck). Wow! I thought I was paranoid before, now I have actual real life reasons to be parinoid. I have to go now, I have to shut the blinds. I don't want anyone tracking my movmets inside my house.
Just joking.
grey matters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-September-2008, 02:37 AM   Agent Intellect's time 27th-September-2008, 09:37 PM    #24
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

if we fucking couldn't say fuck in this fucking place, i'd fucking have been booted the fuck off. either that, or i never would have bothered to fucking post.

edit- i'd just like to add that its interesting to me that we would talk about the freedom to say the word fuck in a thread about the imminent restriction of freedom in America. i have to ask, was that on purpose? if it was, very clever!

Last edited by Agent Intellect; 28th-September-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 28th-September-2008, 03:11 AM   Ermine's time 27th-September-2008, 08:11 PM    #25
Ermine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID10ts View Post

-Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson never ceases to amaze me. It's a shame that most people have long lost that sense of wariness against the government. There's not enough rebels, and even fewer outward rebels. Then there's the rebels that may or may not have a cause. After all the criteria, you could say it narrows down to 1 in a million.
Old 28th-September-2008, 03:15 AM   Agent Intellect's time 27th-September-2008, 10:15 PM    #26
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson never ceases to amaze me. It's a shame that most people have long lost that sense of wariness against the government. There's not enough rebels, and even fewer outward rebels. Then there's the rebels that may or may not have a cause. After all the criteria, you could say it narrows down to 1 in a million.
i agree. i think if anything were to actually happen, rallying the masses would be the biggest uphill battle, not so much the regime change itself. like i said earlier, most people either seem not to care or think that things like this are a good idea. apathy or advocacy of these actions are how the government is ever allowed to do such things.

Last edited by Agent Intellect; 28th-September-2008 at 03:15 AM. Reason: fixed wording
Old 28th-September-2008, 03:20 AM   Waterstiller's time 27th-September-2008, 07:21 PM    #27
Waterstiller
... runs deep

Yeah.
Waterstiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-September-2008, 06:52 AM   Ermine's time 27th-September-2008, 11:52 PM    #28
Ermine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Intellect View Post
i agree. i think if anything were to actually happen, rallying the masses would be the biggest uphill battle, not so much the regime change itself. like i said earlier, most people either seem not to care or think that things like this are a good idea. apathy or advocacy of these actions are how the government is ever allowed to do such things.

The saddest part is that most of the apathetic people actually do care, but are resigned to the fact that they can't do anything. And it's not like anyone teaches civil disobedience. I bet a teacher could get fired for it, but I think that revolutions, movements, and any gestures of civil disobedience should be emphasized in history class so the kids know that change can be a reality, not a cheap slogan. They just assume it's out of their hands.
Old 29th-September-2008, 05:09 AM   IntenseBurger's time 29th-September-2008, 12:09 AM    #29
IntenseBurger

I recently watched Eagle Eye. it was lame and the plot annoyed me.

basically a computer the government created to watch EVERYONE to "protect" the people plots a plan to overthrow the United States because they overstepped their bounds. the whole movie they are trying to stop it as if it's a BAD thing. really ticked me off.

It also got me to thinking, perhaps our government will destroy itself and we wont even have to lift a finger. That would be nice

-Salvador Dali
IntenseBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2008, 02:17 PM   Agent Intellect's time 30th-September-2008, 09:17 AM    #30
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

i was talking about this with my friend yesterday, on the topic of some sort of revolution. the Ghandi tactic certainly seemed like the best route. instead of getting the masses to start a bloody coup, just have everybody simply stop using the american economy (obviously this would mean you would have to have at least 2/3 or so of the population on board). don't use money to buy anything, start growing your own food, building your own house and furniture, and simply barter with other people.

i know most people (if they bothered to read this far) are thinking "but then i'd have to give up my TV, computer, cell phone etc" but i think the quote thats in (i believe) Decafs signature is a good one (and i'm probably slaughtering this) "i'd rather be exposed to the inconveniences of too much freedom then the conveniences of too little" or something along those lines. i certainly wouldn't claim it was easy.

and the point of this? make money worthless. in a society like this, having a skill or trade is what would make someone rich. if you know how to cultivate land or build a house/furniture, you would be the wealthy one, the blue collar worker. the trust fund kids, celebrities, political pundits, advertising executives, CEO's etc who have all the money would now be the poor people, unable to do anything to survive.

Project Mayhem anyone?
Old 30th-September-2008, 06:48 PM   fullerene's time 30th-September-2008, 01:48 PM    #31
fullerene
Resident Member

ugh, but then you'd actually have to have skills that produce something worth trading!
Old 30th-September-2008, 07:03 PM   Decaf's time 30th-September-2008, 11:03 AM    #32
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Who knows how to make soap?

Seriously though... if INTPs aren't going to learn about archaic trade crafts, then who is?
Old 30th-September-2008, 10:06 PM   Agent Intellect's time 30th-September-2008, 05:06 PM    #33
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

shit, building a house is simple enough. its physically taxing, but its simple. i could picture myself building/repairing peoples houses in return for food. of course, my dad was always a real handy man (from being a construction worker and carpenter all his life), the kind of person that can just look at something and know how it works, and i've picked up quite a bit of that.
Old 30th-September-2008, 10:07 PM   Agent Intellect's time 30th-September-2008, 05:07 PM    #34
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
Who knows how to make soap?
anybody whos watched Fight Club, obviously! lets hit the liposuction clinic!
Old 30th-September-2008, 10:12 PM   Decaf's time 30th-September-2008, 02:12 PM    #35
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Quote:
shit, building a house is simple enough. its physically taxing, but its simple. i could picture myself building/repairing peoples houses in return for food. of course, my dad was always a real handy man (from being a construction worker and carpenter all his life), the kind of person that can just look at something and know how it works, and i've picked up quite a bit of that.
So the question is, do you live in an area that has access to timber? Do you know how to set up a structure to turn timber into lumber? Those could be important things to learn in case the world falls apart. Oddly enough, I think people familiar with animal husbandry will be the most in demand.

Also I think as INTPs it is our sacred responsibility to stockpile survival manuals for the common good.

Oh... and if you have any spare cash, invest in iodine. If anything does happen iodine will be crucial for purifying water supplies in areas that traditionally import drinking water.
Old 30th-September-2008, 10:24 PM   Dissident's time 30th-September-2008, 07:24 PM    #36
Dissident

Am I a terrible person for finding the prospects of a catastrophic crysis exciting?
This is certainly an interesting time to be alive.
'...if you are not like everybody else, then you are abnormal, if you are abnormal , then you are sick. These three categories, not being like everybody else, not being normal and being sick are in fact very different but have been reduced to the same thing'
Michel Foucault
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-September-2008, 10:45 PM   Jordan~'s time 30th-September-2008, 10:45 PM    #37
Jordan~
Resident Member

I'm hoping there won't be one on the grounds that it would delay the singularity by decades or centuries, and that there will be a really huge one that I survive on the grounds that it would be awesome to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

Also, Dwarf Fortress has taught me how to make glass from wood and sand, so I'm not so worried!

Old 30th-September-2008, 10:59 PM   Decaf's time 30th-September-2008, 02:59 PM    #38
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Oh... another useful bit of knowledge is how to make charcoal. With the loss of long range resource gathering coal is the most reliable way to generate heat that can be used to work metal. It will probably never get to that point, but it can't hurt to learn.
Old 1st-October-2008, 12:29 AM   Ermine's time 30th-September-2008, 05:29 PM    #39
Ermine

Sounds fascinating! I'll be the cook!
Old 1st-October-2008, 02:55 AM   Auburn's time 30th-September-2008, 06:55 PM    #40
Auburn
is part anima

I'd SO like to live in a post-apocalyptic world!!!

(what if after the whole catastrophe happened, only a small group of IN types survived? What kind of new world would arise?)

sorry, random side-note
carry on
Auburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 03:47 AM   Devercia's time 30th-September-2008, 09:47 PM    #41
Devercia
Deleterious Defenistrator

I can tiller bows from tree to string. yay me. To bad Im not good at it. I also know some very rudimentary metallurgy, have homemade forge aswell.

Decaf is going to be the name of the my wood burner and useless soap maker on Dwarf Fortress and Agent intellect the carpenter/architect.

I actually think this is more the realm of ISTPs than INTPs. My friend in ISTP, has over 40 knifes(good ones, some $400USD+) 5 flashlights($200+) and enjoys survival guids.
Devercia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 05:31 AM   Decaf's time 30th-September-2008, 09:31 PM    #42
Decaf
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devercia View Post
I actually think this is more the realm of ISTPs than INTPs. My friend in ISTP, has over 40 knifes(good ones, some $400USD+) 5 flashlights($200+) and enjoys survival guids.
Maybe its something I picked up from my time in the military, but I also have an assortment of knives. The best pieces are a non-decorative katana (though not of terribly high quality) and two kukris, one made in Nepal. I also have a slew of books that would come in handy that I bought for researching my video game ideas.

Hey... maybe I could make a video game called Zombie Plan...
Old 1st-October-2008, 01:29 PM   Agent Intellect's time 1st-October-2008, 08:29 AM    #43
Agent Intellect
Absurd Anti-hero.

hmmm, interesting. i wonder what personality types (and how many) would be the most useful in a society like the one we all seem to be imagining?

i know some people would take it hard to have to give up their worldly goods (i'd really miss my computer, most of all) but i think, in general, humans would learn to adapt. at least, the right ones would. i suppose the biggest thing would be a "tribal" society like this acting as humans often do and start working against each other instead of with each other (gang wars anyone?).
Old 1st-October-2008, 05:23 PM   FusionKnight's time 1st-October-2008, 11:23 AM    #44
FusionKnight
It's not my fault!

Quote:
Technically I think that's the NSA's area of responsibility. If they have anyone in the whole agency that knows anything about type, I'm sure they wrote off the INTPforum as a potential source of trouble long ago. Brilliant plans, minimal execution.
ROFL! I snorted out loud in my cubical when I read that! Hahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID10ts View Post

-Thomas Jefferson
Good god, we need to here this. Perhaps we should pool our money and pay for TV ads that simply read Jefferson quotes. Or a poster campaign. Or a sidewalk art blitz of Jeffersonian ideas... anyone? Anyone?

Quote:
Read these: http://www.backwoodshome.com/wolfe_index.html, especially the Hardyville stories. It will teach you how to live like an outlaw.

Quote:
i was talking about this with my friend yesterday, on the topic of some sort of revolution. the Ghandi tactic certainly seemed like the best route. instead of getting the masses to start a bloody coup, just have everybody simply stop using the american economy (obviously this would mean you would have to have at least 2/3 or so of the population on board). don't use money to buy anything, start growing your own food, building your own house and furniture, and simply barter with other people.

i know most people (if they bothered to read this far) are thinking "but then i'd have to give up my TV, computer, cell phone etc" but i think the quote thats in (i believe) Decafs signature is a good one (and i'm probably slaughtering this) "i'd rather be exposed to the inconveniences of too much freedom then the conveniences of too little" or something along those lines. i certainly wouldn't claim it was easy.
This is exactly the kind of thinking, and the kind of people we need to save America. We need to stress self-reliance. Distributed systems (power, sewage, water, food, etc) make break-down a non-issue. Learning real, tangible, skills is a must. Not whining (Aarnold: Stop Whining!), and not asking for handouts should be our modus operandi. We should stand tall, take care of ourselves and our families, and rebuild this nation.

Quote:
Oh... and if you have any spare cash, invest in iodine. If anything does happen iodine will be crucial for purifying water supplies in areas that traditionally import drinking water.
And prevent goiters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Am I a terrible person for finding the prospects of a catastrophic crysis exciting?
This is certainly an interesting time to be alive.
No, and yes.
FusionKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 07:58 PM   Calamedes's time 1st-October-2008, 09:58 PM    #45
Calamedes

I need to spend more time on this forum... y'all give me fantastic ideas

*grins maniacally*
Calamedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 08:05 PM   ElectricWizard's time 2nd-October-2008, 04:05 AM    #46
ElectricWizard

This country has owners. They own you.
ElectricWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 08:22 PM   Calamedes's time 1st-October-2008, 10:22 PM    #47
Calamedes

But in Soviet Russia, you own them! (although the joke isn't supposed to work... lol)
Calamedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 08:51 PM   EditorOne's time 1st-October-2008, 03:51 PM    #48
EditorOne
Resident Member

Cripes Almighty, folks, didn't anyone read to the END of that Army Times article?

"
Correction:

A non-lethal crowd control package fielded to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, described in the original version of this story, is intended for use on deployments to the war zone, not in the U.S., as previously stated."

Yeesh.

They're gonna be rowing boats after hurricanes and picking up pieces of homes after tornadoes during their "home" deployment.

I think, I think I am, therefore I am.
I think.
-- Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Need a public adjuster? (Yeah, you probably do.)
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-October-2008, 09:05 PM   NoID10ts's time 1st-October-2008, 03:05 PM    #49
NoID10ts
aka Noddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post
Cripes Almighty, folks, didn't anyone read to the END of that Army Times article?

"
Correction:

A non-lethal crowd control package fielded to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, described in the original version of this story, is intended for use on deployments to the war zone, not in the U.S., as previously stated."

Yeesh.

They're gonna be rowing boats after hurricanes and picking up pieces of homes after tornadoes during their "home" deployment.
Why read to the end when you can just skim over it all and get an overall feel for what it is probably saying, more or less?
Old 1st-October-2008, 09:09 PM   FusionKnight's time 1st-October-2008, 03:09 PM    #50
FusionKnight
It's not my fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post

"
Correction:

Yeesh.

Or rounding up troublemakers (read: people who want to stay in their homes), taking away legally owned guns, relocating people into (death) camps, losing donated goods, refusing donated services, etc. This is far from harmless, or benevolent.
FusionKnight is offline   Reply With Quote