Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Old 11th-March-2010, 04:09 AM   ashitaria's time 10th-March-2010, 08:09 PM    #1
ashitaria
Banned

windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Okay, so who do INTPs get along with?

What are the types that INTPs find annoying? What are the types INTPs find interesting? What do they feel friendly and homely with?

Do they clash with ISFJs, ESFJs, ISTJs, or ESTJs?

Do they get along with INFPs, INFJs, INTPs, and INTJs?

Or are we just naturally socially retarded?
ashitaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 04:16 AM   Sparrow's time 10th-March-2010, 11:16 PM    #2
Sparrow
Banned

windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Okay, so who do INTPs get along with?

No one. Every type hates me.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 04:24 AM   Lithorn's time 10th-March-2010, 10:24 PM    #3
Lithorn

windows_vistasafari

My dad is an ISTJ, and we get along really well.
Lithorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 04:27 AM   ijustprotectedmyidentity's time 11th-March-2010, 04:27 AM    #4
ijustprotectedmyidentity

windows_xp_2003firefox

when an estp and an intp are ready for mischeviousness its simply a work of art
ijustprotectedmyidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 05:22 AM   Cogito's time 10th-March-2010, 09:22 PM    #5
Cogito
The Empty Verb

windows_xp_2003ie

Annoying: Although I have some noteworthy relationships with ESXJs, living with them is a completely different story. Furthermore, I'd say any overly-imposing individual--their type is of little importance in this arena--would be annoying, period.

Interesting: I can find any type to be interesting; this depends more on the individual. INXJs intrigue me more often than not, though.

Friendly/homely: ENXPs.

I'm able to maintain the most long-lasting relationships with INTJs, although I haven't closely befriended a member of every type yet. Our friendship isn't incredibly spontaneous or exciting, but we're clearly compatible and understand each other on a level that's simply. . . unfathomable.
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 06:56 AM   shoeless's time 11th-March-2010, 06:56 AM    #6
shoeless
I AM A WIZARD

windows_vistafirefox

anyone has the capability of "getting along" with anyone.

i'm friends with SJ's, NF's, NT's, SP's. i'm friends with anyone.

i'll admit i tend to get annoyed by ESxJ's, but i blame that on a bad relationship with daddy.
the people i find most interesting are probably NF's.
the people i find easiest to be closest to are probably NT's. that just happens naturally.
but i've only ever dated SP's as far as I'm aware... weird shit.

so yeah. i still stand by my first statement. obviously some people are going to be more likely to clash in the longterm, but it's not like it's impossible to become besties with an ESFJ or anything. pretty sure one of my best friends is ESFP. so there you have it.
Old 11th-March-2010, 08:33 AM   pie's time 11th-March-2010, 03:33 AM    #7
pie
Redshirt

windows_vistafirefox

I think we get along with people who accept us as we are and don't try to change us or impose their views and values on us. that's the main thing. it's probably very simplistic and applies to everybody in general, but I think it's especially true for us.

I do tend to get along better with NTs and NFs and consistently clash with SJs though. :\
pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 08:40 AM   Mello's time 11th-March-2010, 12:40 AM    #8
Mello
Gone.

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I get along with myself, sometimes.
Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-March-2010, 09:02 AM   Reon's time 11th-March-2010, 03:02 AM    #9
Reon
Redshirt

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashitaria View Post
What are the types that INTPs find annoying? What are the types INTPs find interesting? What do they feel friendly and homely with?

From what I've seen, INTPs get along with INTJs and INFJs. INFJs share the Fe and Ti and INTJs are an interesting care, I really don't know why they tend to get along really. I've seen a ISFP and INTP relationship before. Also, ISTP and INTP can work, I believe. I believe, generally, that it's easier for extreme intuitive to get along with other intuitive and for some reason, as a group, we all seem rather polarized (at least on the internet)
Old 11th-March-2010, 09:15 AM   Alice?'s time 11th-March-2010, 01:15 AM    #10
Alice?

windows_xp_2003ie

I personally can potentially get along with anyone who's not an ignorant, pretentious douchebag/stuck up prick.
My closest friend is an ISFJ. We've known each other for about 11 years and have never had a fight. Her strengths are my weaknesses and vice-versa, and we're both very open minded. We can talk about anything and everything. She's also very loyal and very honest, two traits that I value highly.
Some other close friends are: an INFJ, two ENFPs, two INFPs, an ENFJ, an INTJ, and an ISTJ.
For the most part I feel like the relationships with NF's are more rewarding in the emotional aspect, while the relationships with the NT's are more intellectually stimulating. That's not to say, though, that I can't have an intellectually stimulating conversation with an NF or an emotionally rewarding experience with an NT.
The extroverts typically get me out of my shell faster and keep me talking longer than the intoverts. This is nice, especially since they understand my need to back away every once and a while to sort my thoughts out and recharge.
The INFP really gets the darker, more sarcastic side to my humor and personality.
The ISTJ keeps me grounded when no one else can and has a great sense of humor, and I always feel extremely safe around him. Unfortunately, he just left for his Army basic training and I won't see him for 4 months.
Overall, I'm lucky to say that I have a fairly heathy balance when it comes to friendships.
Old 13th-March-2010, 07:44 AM   SEB's time 13th-March-2010, 07:44 AM    #11
SEB
Redshirt

windows_xp_2003safari

We ENTJs sort of like INTPs. Usually an INTP comes across as very smart because the Ti tendency to be an intellectual perfectionist. My Te respects that, while be a bit annoyed by it at the same time . Just don't go over-board by excessively focusing on each detail and contradiction. That's when other folks get annoyed.
SEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-March-2010, 07:59 AM   Loki's time 13th-March-2010, 01:59 AM    #12
Loki
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

windows_vistafirefox

In no particular order, I can tolerate:

INTJs
INFJs
the man in the mirror
the lady at the Bagel Hut
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-March-2010, 05:58 PM   bovinity's time 13th-March-2010, 12:58 PM    #13
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

I can usually get along with ISTJ's but the other xsxj types are near intolerable. My grandma is ISFJ and she's a pain to deal with, ESTJ's are the king dumbasses of every social arena, and ESFJ's are so fake I can't deal with it.

The other types I'm cool with. My circle of friends is pretty heavily biased towards NT/NF types but I have a few SP types that I mingle with, albeit on a different level.
bovinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-March-2010, 05:37 PM   Unique's time 15th-March-2010, 03:38 AM    #14
Unique
Redshirt

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamalech View Post
Pretty much this

The kinda sad part is that I think I'm a really nice person

It's amusing to be why people don't like me sometimes

I have been disliked for failing to realize that apparently you should assume people have bad intentions and that somehow makes me weak

Yep, sorry for having hope for humanity, have fun ego heads... have fun...

Though I don't mind other INTPs (and some other NTs) they just get me, I remember a rather fond memory when me and an INTP I know stopped talking, both went into Ti and knew exactly what we were doing and just smiled
Unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-March-2010, 08:45 PM   Cavallier's time 14th-March-2010, 12:45 PM    #15
Cavallier
Oh damn.

windows_vistafirefox

As somebody else pointed out we can get along with anyone if we work at it. However, some are easier to work with then others I find.*

The only type I really have any difficulty with is FJ types mostly because we have trouble understanding each other. Generally the relationship ends with both of us deciding the other is an alien and that the best course of action is to be civil but to keep at arms length. I find that my need for logical exactness and difficulty reasuring people emotionally sets off FJ types.

I recently had my best friend take The Test! Turns out she's an ISTJ. I think the T helps us to get along well. We have long discussions about varying topics and never cease to run out of things to talk about because we have different perspectives. She goes on hilarious rants about how Press and Seal Cling Wrap commercials make no sense. The key to getting along with her easily is to know what little things set her off. Usually they are silly things that are easily avoided. After years of knowing her however I've come to the realization that if she hadn't decided immediately on meeting me that she liked me we wouldn't have necessarily had much of a friendship. She makes value judgments quickly. Usually they are good judgments but if you do something stupid and she decides you are a "dip shit" then you've lost yourself. She may still care about you a lot and count you as a friend but she will never forget that one time you crossed her.

I'm convinced ENFPs are psychic.

*It helps if you aren't fairly reclusive like myself.
Old 14th-March-2010, 08:45 PM   Sparrow's time 14th-March-2010, 03:45 PM    #16
Sparrow
Banned

windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamalech View Post
Not really.

The types that I do not get along with: ESFJ, ESTJ, INFP, ENFP, ISTJ, ISFJ, ENFJ,

The types I do get along with: INTP, INFJ, ISFP, INTJ, ENTJ, ENTP

Dunno about ENFP and ISTP, they're indifferent.
Old 14th-March-2010, 08:47 PM   Dormouse's time 14th-March-2010, 08:47 PM    #17
Dormouse
Mean can be funny.

windows_98_nt_2000ie

I love everyone! I'm friends with the whole wide world.

resident Hooloovoo
Dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-March-2010, 11:45 PM   bovinity's time 14th-March-2010, 06:45 PM    #18
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

I love xNFP's to be honest, I've never met more open-minded, flexible people in my life.

I had a nasty breakup with an INFP girl not too long ago though... I think it's pretty normal for them to be selfish and reject anything that doesn't fit their vision of the perfect world, and I'm not exactly flawless :|
Old 15th-March-2010, 12:10 AM   ProxyAmenRa's time 15th-March-2010, 10:10 AM    #19
ProxyAmenRa
Egocatric

windows_xp_2003safari

The question is not who the intp gets along with but who gets along with the intp.
ProxyAmenRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 12:21 AM   bovinity's time 14th-March-2010, 07:21 PM    #20
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

No it isn't, those two mean exactly the same thing.
Old 15th-March-2010, 01:23 AM   Sparrow's time 14th-March-2010, 08:23 PM    #21
Sparrow
Banned

windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAmenRa View Post
The question is not who the intp gets along with but who gets along with the intp.
This man speaks the truth.
Old 15th-March-2010, 04:09 AM   bovinity's time 14th-March-2010, 11:09 PM    #22
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

How can you get along with someone who doesn't get along with you and vice versa? Not possible.

Unless of course you mean want to get along with when you say get along with, in which case the post is a testament to the stereotype that INTP's are socially retarded.
Old 15th-March-2010, 04:30 AM   Unique's time 15th-March-2010, 02:30 PM    #23
Unique
Redshirt

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinity View Post
How can you get along with someone who doesn't get along with you and vice versa? Not possible.

Unless of course you mean want to get along with when you say get along with, in which case the post is a testament to the stereotype that INTP's are socially retarded.
You are taking it at surface value...

Bad Si.... bad!
Unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 04:37 AM   bovinity's time 14th-March-2010, 11:37 PM    #24
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

Si is for accountants and incompetent lawyers.
Old 15th-March-2010, 05:01 AM   Anthile's time 15th-March-2010, 06:01 AM    #25
Anthile
Nothing but contempt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Si is for accountants and incompetent lawyers.

The tradition demands that you should have more respect towards your tertiary function.
"Good evening, gentlemen! Please pay attention. I am a reformed vampire, which is to say, I am a bundle of suppressed instincts held together with spit and coffee. It would be wrong to say that violent, tearing carnage does not come easily to me. It's not tearing your throats out that doesn't come easily to me. Please don't make it any harder."

~Maladict, Monstrous Regiment
Anthile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 05:25 AM   red eyes's time 15th-March-2010, 05:25 AM    #26
red eyes
"meow" says the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAmenRa View Post
this needs to be awarded. I would love to elaborate further in my own words but none compare.
red eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 06:46 AM   bovinity's time 15th-March-2010, 01:46 AM    #27
bovinity

windows_xp_2003firefox

I still am struggling to see anything profound, relevant, or even remotely true about that post.
Old 15th-March-2010, 07:07 AM   Cavallier's time 14th-March-2010, 11:07 PM    #28
Cavallier
Oh damn.

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
I still am struggling to see anything profound, relevant, or even remotely true about that post.
Agreed.

It takes two people to make a relationship. I find that despite being one of those horribly socially incompetent unemotional dum dums I still manage to get along with most people. Most people manage to get along with me.
Old 15th-March-2010, 07:27 AM   Adymus's time 14th-March-2010, 11:27 PM    #29
Adymus
Banned

windows_vistafirefox

It's not types that I find annoying, it is specific people that I find annoying. Just about every personality type has had their people that I liked and ones that I didn't like. I even had an ESFJ coworker that I really enjoyed being around. I have even seen other INTPs that make me cringe.

It as much about type, as it is about the maturity of the individual.
Adymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 10:39 AM   Anthile's time 15th-March-2010, 11:39 AM    #30
Anthile
Nothing but contempt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adymus View Post
It's not types that I find annoying, it is specific people that I find annoying. Just about every personality type has had their people that I liked and ones that I didn't like. I even had an ESFJ coworker that I really enjoyed being around. I have even seen other INTPs that make me cringe.

It as much about type, as it is about the maturity of the individual.

Well, good luck selling that to the people. It appears to me, that for the most people, MBTI is just something to justify their stereotyping and passive aggressive behavior with.
"Good evening, gentlemen! Please pay attention. I am a reformed vampire, which is to say, I am a bundle of suppressed instincts held together with spit and coffee. It would be wrong to say that violent, tearing carnage does not come easily to me. It's not tearing your throats out that doesn't come easily to me. Please don't make it any harder."

~Maladict, Monstrous Regiment
Anthile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 01:25 PM   Red Devil's time 15th-March-2010, 06:55 PM    #31
Red Devil

windows_xp_2003firefox

Naturally socially retarded, aye.
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-March-2010, 01:43 PM   Chronomar's time 15th-March-2010, 01:44 PM    #32
Chronomar
NOPE

windows_vistaie

I got along with a few INTJs before, one time I had a friend who was ISTP I think. But I do think it is much more about the individual, as well. For example, the twin of the ISTP I knew was still the same personality, but different, and I do not get along with her very much. She one time told me my artwork was, "trite".

It is also notable that two of the INTJs I'm mentioning are sort of close to INTP...but one of them is about as J as it gets. He has all his papers file foldered and spends most of his free time writing what he thinks will be his "thesis" for his PhD...and this is an undergrad.
Chronomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-March-2010, 08:57 PM   uth's time 30th-March-2010, 03:57 PM    #33
uth

windows_xp_2003firefox

I haven't typed all my friends, but of the ones I have and get along with:

great: INFP, INTP, ENTP, ESFP, ENFJ
good: ISFJ, ESTJ

not good: ISFP, ISTJ
uth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-March-2010, 09:31 PM   Chimera's time 30th-March-2010, 04:31 PM    #34
Chimera
To inanity and beyond

windows_98_nt_2000ie

In no particular order, I like open-minded, weird, easy-going, confidant, mischevious, amusing, dynamic people.
But I don't go by type.

You have no idea.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-March-2010, 11:10 PM   Puffy's time 30th-March-2010, 11:10 PM    #35
Puffy
Candlelight

windows_vistaie

I think you can fall in to a trap quite easily saying that who you will get along with is defined by personality type; it's an intriguing test but it doesn't define who you are, we are all still individuals with our own preferences.

Of the people i've met at university my best friends have been ESFJ's and ISFJ's the only enemy i've made is an INTP. It doesn't mean anything, type doesn't define who you will get on with. Say I met an INTP who I had nothing in common with, but then met an ESFJ who had similar hobbies and interests, it doesn't matter that the INTP is apparently meant to be a better match or more 'intellectually stimulating' we have nothing in common.
"Life has always seemed to me like a plant that lives on its rhizome. Its true life is invisible, hidden in the rhizome. The part that appears above the ground lasts only a single summer. Then it withers away–an ephemeral apparition. When we think of the unending growth and decay of life and civilizations, we cannot escape the impression of absolute nullity. Yet I have never lost the sense of something that lives and endures beneath the eternal flux. What we see is blossom, which passes. The rhizome remains." - C.G. Jung
Puffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-March-2010, 11:32 PM   Logos's time 30th-March-2010, 06:32 PM    #36
Logos
Formerly Electric Wizard

windows_vistaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uth View Post
not good: ISFP, ISTJ
Haha my brother is an ISFP, and my dad is an ISTJ
Logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-March-2010, 12:44 AM   citrusbreath95's time 30th-March-2010, 07:44 PM    #37
citrusbreath95
Tourist of this dimension

windows_vistafirefox

So far, I get along really well with my dad (INTJ) My sister (ISTP). My mom's ESFJ and she agitates me a great majority of the time, but I suppose that seems realistic based on personality. I can get along with her though. Now whether or not that is because she's my mom, or I pretty much can get along with anyone is questionable.
citrusbreath95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-March-2010, 01:00 AM   phantome's time 30th-March-2010, 05:00 PM    #38
phantome
connecting that which cannot be connected

macossafari

I get along with some people, but not others (obviously)
but I can't put it down to MBTI type either.
for example, I know two INTPs. One who I can hardly stand to be in the same room with, another who is my boyfriend. So i don't think that their type greatly influences my feelings for them. :]
Old 31st-March-2010, 05:28 AM   Thread Killer's time 31st-March-2010, 12:28 AM    #39
Thread Killer
Never-Around Member

The only types I do not get along with for the most part are ESFJs and ESTJs. I encounter problems sometimes with INFJs, INFPs, and ENFJs, but it's not that common. I prefer not to interact closely with INTJs, ISTPs, and ISFPs, though.

I get along best with other INTPs, ENTPs, ISFJs, and ESFPs, and sometimes ENTJs if we have enough in common.
Old 31st-March-2010, 10:59 AM   Razare's time 31st-March-2010, 05:59 AM    #40
Razare

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:

INTP's are so easy-going and non-judgmental we can get along with most genuine people.

Personally, I clash with the ISTJ and ESTJ.

But, I'm going to marry an ISFJ next year.

INFPs, INTPs, ENTPs, ENTJs and INTJs are who we find most intriguing though.
Razare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-March-2010, 11:39 PM   Trebuchet's time 31st-March-2010, 03:39 PM    #41
Trebuchet

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razare View Post
But, I'm going to marry an ISFJ next year.
Congratulations!
Trebuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 02:03 AM   BigApplePi's time 31st-March-2010, 09:03 PM    #42
BigApplePi
Banned

windows_xp_2003firefox

Someone set this up. I no longer recall where I got it. For the INTP:
ENTP - pal
INFP - companion
ESTJ - cohort
ISFJ - supplement
ISTP - neighbor
ESTP - counterpart
ISTJ - suitemate
INTJ - complement
ENFP - tribesman
INFJ - advisor
ISFP - enigma
ESFP - novelty
ENFJ - pedagogue
ENTJ - contrast
ESFJ - anima

It would be interesting to know if you agree or disagree. Notice they left out INTP. What would that be?

Last edited by BigApplePi; 1st-April-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: fix typos
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 02:07 AM   Trebuchet's time 31st-March-2010, 06:07 PM    #43
Trebuchet

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApplePi View Post
Notice they left out INTP. What would that be?
They left out INTJ, too. I don't know about other people, but I'd put

INTJ soulmate
Trebuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 02:11 AM   Mello's time 31st-March-2010, 06:11 PM    #44
Mello
Gone.

I get along with my dog.
Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 03:03 AM   BigApplePi's time 31st-March-2010, 10:03 PM    #45
BigApplePi
Banned

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They left out INTJ, too. I don't know about other people, but I'd put

INTJ soulmate
Good catch. I hadn't proof read it, but fixed it. Should be:
ISTJ suitement
INTJ complement

complement = soulmate? I dunno. Close.
BigApplePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 04:36 AM   Cogito's time 31st-March-2010, 08:36 PM    #46
Cogito
The Empty Verb

windows_xp_2003ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApplePi View Post
Someone set this up. I no longer recall where I got it. For the INTP:
ENTP - pal
INFP - companion
ESTJ - cohort
ISFJ - supplement
ISTP - neighbor
ESTP - counterpart
ISTJ - suitemate
INTJ - complement
ENFP - tribesman
INFJ - advisor
ISFP - enigma
ESFP - novelty
ENFJ - pedagogue
ENTJ - contrast
ESFJ - anima

It would be interesting to know if you agree or disagree. Notice they left out INTP. What would that be?
How about: INTP - sybling / accomplice?
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2010, 05:15 AM   shadowdrums4's time 1st-April-2010, 12:15 AM    #47
shadowdrums4
wierd drummer kid

windows_xp_2003firefox

This is where you got it and INTP is Identity. (At the bottom it says type relationships.

http://www.typelogic.com/intp.html

Something kind of interesting about that it it has the ENFJ as the pedagogue and the information on it says "Each has something the other lacks, has a parent to child feel" Well my friend, who I've called a mom for a long time, (I'm her baby owl) is an ENFJ. Funny coincidences.

As for who I get along with ENFPs INFPs ENFJs ESFPs ISFJs (Mom) INTJs (sister and an ex best friend for ten years who I still get along with) ESFPs ISTPs ISFPs and I'm not really sure about the rest. I agree it's more about the individual though.
shadowdrums4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-April-2010, 07:45 AM   useless username's time 10th-April-2010, 07:45 AM    #48
useless username
Redshirt

macossafari

I get along best with people that can handle talking about ideas comfortably. Since I am alone most of the time in thought, I don't mind sometimes being exposed others who take a whole different approach when it comes to thinking processes. Namely, functions that are more extraverted. It interests me and allows me to analyze them.
useless username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-April-2010, 08:21 AM   Razare's time 10th-April-2010, 03:21 AM    #49
Razare

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:

Personally I dislike ISTJ's.

I liked the one INFP I met. I also liked an ENTP I met. He was a total faker, but as long as I could see through that and ignore it, it didn't bother me.
Razare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-April-2010, 05:43 PM   onthewindowstand's time 10th-April-2010, 10:43 AM    #50
onthewindowstand

windows_xp_2003ie

Two of the best friends that I have ever had in my life were two INFPs.

I usually like other INTPs, INTJs, ESFPs, I met one ESFJ and he was really cool not much experience though, I have met one ENFP that I like the others seem to be dicks though.

The others are hit and miss.

No my name is not Bob Glee
onthewindowstand is offline   Reply With Quote