INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Movies, Theatre & Television

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #1601
TheManBeyond
Indigo Kid
 
TheManBeyond's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Overweighted America
Posts: 2,326
linuxsafari
Default Re: Last movie you watched

Cant sleep today as usually lately
I watched the mirror by tarkovski
Really beautiful, reminds me of lithuania. Wonder where was the movie recorded.
It also makes me nostalgic about eastern people. Even the loudest of them would pass for an introverted here. Its a natural kind of wisdom. Not necessarily intelligence.
Just more quiet on their steps.
Hypnotic. This movie got me thinking if art could be a representation of functions. In this case a Si / Ni Dom movie.
Anyway. Worth watching.

8.5 / 10

A E S T H E T I C S
__________________
tons of personalities out there
but just a few people
TheManBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM   #1602
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead
 
Jennywocky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charn
Posts: 10,055
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Last movie you watched

Watched Logan Noir -- basically the black and white version of the film that came up with the bluray package this past week. It's simply the released film but in black and white (with some probable contrast tweaking); it actually looks quite lovely and is a viable means of watching, making the film seem a little more artsy/stark as well as strengthening comparison between it and "Shane" which is relevant to the plot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
The Silence of the Lambs.
Missed the first ten minutes of it. I'm going to find them online or something and watch them though.

Did not pack the punch that other people have told me about. Then again I already was aware of the plot line, and I've watched the NBC series of Hannibal, which that was much grosser by comparison. I've apparently been desensitized.

Hannibal is on right now and I much prefer it over the Silence of the Lambs so far.

"Free range rude."
Delicious.
I thought the TV series was great, especially in light of Hopkins having become such a cultural phenomena in SotL movie and setting a hard bar to cross. His version of Lecter is actually a different personality type than Mikkelsen's portrayal, and I liked both versions immensely. (I wasn't really that fond of Cox's version in the original Manhunter film.) My only issue with Mikkelsen is simply that I find his English hard to understand at times and have to use the subtitles, but damn, he really did his beautiful unique job with the character.

The TV series was just amazingly good, although I found Season 3 to be my least favorite -- ironic, since it was the most "on book." It felt either unnecessarily dragged out (in the first half) or rushed (in the second) unfortunately. The most interesting stuff to me was the relationship between him and Will that was developed, and how they took material from that crap movie/book "Hannibal" and actually made it kind of interesting (AKA the mason Verger + sister stuff).
__________________
... My toast is dark and full of terrors.
Jennywocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #1603
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,154
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Last movie you watched

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010 Remake)

(Warning - some spoilers)

I've seen the other remakes that were made around the same time - Halloween and Friday 13th. Halloween was reasonable, Halloween 2 was an insult to movies. Friday 13th was OK, but it's just difficult to take Jason too seriously when they have to attempt to put him through a wood chipper and he still comes back.

So, Nightmare on Elm Street. The original had me afraid to go into the bathroom for several days. But, to be fair, I was 5. Watch it as an adult and it's kind of laughable now. This was definitely one of the better recent horror remakes. The jump scares are frequent and quite well done. Instead of an initial get to know the victims stage, we jump straight into an opening dream scene and get to see the new Freddy almost immediately. Make up effects have certainly improved since 1984, but I think we shouldn't have been given more suspense time of not seeing him. However, we see Freddy's scared visage so frequently he becomes a main character.

We barely meet Nancy until after the bedroom scene, but so much time with Kris that I almost thought she was the main character and would make it. I actually liked this misleading as I expected her to switch roles with Jesse.

What I did like was that they devoted much more time into who Freddy was and added a good backstory, rather than the two lines of dialogue that covered it in the original. We get a full explanation for it.

I also liked that they used micro-naps a lot in this one. Because (as we've discussed around here before) if you go without sleep for several days, you start to dream while you're awake for a few seconds. This added much more opportunity to add short jump scares, and more chances to be gotten.

Overall, fairly enjoyable for a remake - 3.5*
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #1604
Nebulous
Slurp
 
Nebulous's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Just West of Weird
Posts: 632
macossafari
Default Re: Last movie you watched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky View Post
I thought the TV series was great, especially in light of Hopkins having become such a cultural phenomena in SotL movie and setting a hard bar to cross. His version of Lecter is actually a different personality type than Mikkelsen's portrayal, and I liked both versions immensely. (I wasn't really that fond of Cox's version in the original Manhunter film.) My only issue with Mikkelsen is simply that I find his English hard to understand at times and have to use the subtitles, but damn, he really did his beautiful unique job with the character.
I agree. Beautiful show. It was so dark though-- literally-- as in I had to turn the brightness of my screen way up in order to see what was going on.
Mmm Mikkelsen is lovely. I also loved him in the 06 Bond film Casino Royale.
He's in a movie called Charlie Countryman, which it seems completely up my alley. I'm looking forward to watching that one day.
I'm pretty certain that English is Mikkelsen's fifth language. It is hard to understand at times. He's Danish.
Quote:
The TV series was just amazingly good, although I found Season 3 to be my least favorite -- ironic, since it was the most "on book." It felt either unnecessarily dragged out (in the first half) or rushed (in the second) unfortunately. The most interesting stuff to me was the relationship between him and Will that was developed, and how they took material from that crap movie/book "Hannibal" and actually made it kind of interesting (AKA the mason Verger + sister stuff).
Yes the first half did drag on a bit too much. I think they got sorta carried away with the European arc. It was lovely though. And I discovered Dante's Inferno through the show- which is really fascinating. I love all the references that are in the show. Gives you stuff to explore.

And damn he and Will were fantastic. Hugh Dancy (Will's actor) did such an amazing, genuine job.. Will seemed so real. What a wonderful character.
I loved all the characters. Abigail's probably my favorite honestly. And Alana, Margot, Jack, Bedelia, etc etc.
Ahh yes good show good show
__________________
"Whenever feasible, one should always try to eat the rude." -Hannibal

I brake for roadkill

the Venn diagram of things I find funny and reasons I'm going to hell is a circle.
Nebulous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #1605
Serac
Member
 
Serac's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 40
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Last movie you watched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManBeyond View Post
Cant sleep today as usually lately
I watched the mirror by tarkovski
Really beautiful, reminds me of lithuania. Wonder where was the movie recorded.
It also makes me nostalgic about eastern people. Even the loudest of them would pass for an introverted here. Its a natural kind of wisdom. Not necessarily intelligence.
Just more quiet on their steps.
Hypnotic. This movie got me thinking if art could be a representation of functions. In this case a Si / Ni Dom movie.
Anyway. Worth watching.

8.5 / 10

A E S T H E T I C S
Since I discovered Tarkovsky, everything else seems like shit. Haven't really watched a movie in several years, except re-watching Tarkovsky movies.
Serac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last anime you watched? Auburn Movies, Theatre & Television 27 9th-May-2017 11:10 PM
I just watched an episode of Big Bang theory NormannTheDoorman Movies, Theatre & Television 70 7th-May-2016 03:42 PM
Watched some movies, feelings, and discussion. Esurient Fere The Lounge 2 10th-August-2015 01:57 AM
New Adam Curtis - All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace merzbau Movies, Theatre & Television 6 1st-March-2012 11:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts