INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Old 18th-May-2017, 02:41 AM   #1
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Life force metabolism.

I was going on a walk around a lake and came up with a theory to measure how much agency someone has. I call it life force metabolism. Its like a typology that measures what kind of force you have and how much change you can make.

Here's the categories I came up with:
  1. Attention: This is like how well your brain in engaged with the outside environment
  2. Action: This is how many things you are able to do when engaging in tasks
  3. Achievement: This is what your drive is to achieve and how much you do to achieve
  4. Tempo: This is the rate at which you engage with task - how fast you do things
  5. Resiliency: This is how quick you are to get up after you have fallen and pick yourself up and dust yourself off
  6. Determination: this is how much drive you have to accomplish tasks

I was thinking about this because I don't really have a high static life force metabolism. I am just not a very good leader in general. I do, however have a good dynamic life force metabolism. What a dynamic life for metabolism is, is how quickly these attributes can increase given the proper motivation. Its how fast you can make an increasing change regarding life force metabolism.

Obviously, I don't have all this stuff nailed down yet, and I'm not sure how serious I want to take this, but its just been on my mind and I felt like sharing. I might make this a kind of mini project to work on ironing out the details, if for nothing else, to increase my own life force metabolism.

Thoughts on this theory? Do you think I miss anything? Do you think the theory holds true? Any comments you want to make?
Old 18th-May-2017, 02:51 AM   #2
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

linuxsafari
Default Re: Life force metabolism.

Yay another metric by which to measure my inadequacy.

How do I measure the six categories?
Is there a 1/10 rating system?

You say it's a typology?
What are the types?
Old 18th-May-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
Nebulous
Slurp

macossafari

Cool theory. Makes sense.

I'd suggest adding "skill" to the list. Or something that addresses how well the person actually understands things/ is able to use that knowledge in accomplishing their goals throughly.

I brake for roadkill

the Venn diagram of things I find funny and reasons I'm going to hell is a circle.
Nebulous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-May-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Yay another metric by which to measure my inadequacy.

How do I measure the six categories?
Is there a 1/10 rating system?

You say it's a typology?
What are the types?
Not sure on any of that yet.
Old 18th-May-2017, 05:48 AM   #5
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

linuxsafari

Quote:
Attention: This is like how well your brain in engaged with the outside environment
Please give examples of:
Attention = 1/10
Attention = 5/10
Attention = 10/10
Old 18th-May-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Please give examples of:
Attention = 1/10
Attention = 5/10
Attention = 10/10
Why?

The way I can see this working is kinda like answering questions on a sliding scale rather than having a different dichotomy matching various levels. That would mean that for example, Attention remains the same dichotomy, but just has different levels of it rather than different dichotomies altogether. This ofc becomes more important when measuring the different categories against each other to see how different combos effect people.

I think I stated that I wasn't taking this super serious right now, so I don't feel obligated to fulfill your whims on this. I am just wondering what people think of the theory in general at this point, I am not looking to get super deep into it right now.

Besides I can't tell if you are just making these comments as snide remarks or not at this point.
Old 18th-May-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.

windows_98_nt_2000safari

It's actually quite good idea. Maybe something you could develop into maybe a website or a book - run some trials and find out how different combinations lead to different types of people, maybe how it relates to MBTI, and find out how to identify weak points and improve your life force metabolism.

Only critique I can think of at this point is that maybe points 3 and 6 could possibly be under one point. Is your Action basically your skill range or your skill level?
Old 18th-May-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
It's actually quite good idea. Maybe something you could develop into maybe a website or a book - run some trials and find out how different combinations lead to different types of people, maybe how it relates to MBTI, and find out how to identify weak points and improve your life force metabolism.

Only critique I can think of at this point is that maybe points 3 and 6 could possibly be under one point. Is your Action basically your skill range or your skill level?
Action has nothing to do with skill. I didn't include "skill" because for one, I didn't think of it and second, skills are something that anyone can get better at with practice. The idea of skill is a bit too... well, its not something that is an overarching thing, its more specific, I guess(?). IDK I could possibly do a category based on how fast you master a skill, I suppose that could work, yes. So thanks to Rixus and Nebulous for this idea.

And yeah, I could prolly merge Determination and Achievement. There would be a lot of overlap between the two even though they are a bit different. The way I was picturing it in my mind is that the difference between the two is that one is based on motivation (determination) and the other is based on how you actually feel when you accomplish something (achievement).

So what I think I will do is make motivation the 3rd category and have skillfulness be the 6th dichotomy.
Old 18th-May-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Attention: 2/10
Action: 4/10
Achievement: 3/10
Tempo: 7/10
Resiliency: 6/10
Determination: 9/10
Animekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th-May-2017, 11:26 PM   #10
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Would there be a difference between how easily you pick up skills, and your range of aptitude? For example, I can say I can pick up skills very quickly in areas I have high aptitude for. But if we switch that to something like art or music (which I have little or know aptitude for), then that rate of skill absorption would be quite low.

I think most of them have a lot of variation for me, dependent on a lot of things.
  1. Attention varies from "barely even noticing the outside world" to "I am one with the universe"
  2. Action: Fairly high - I'd go with 8/10 as there are relatively few things I can't pick up quicker than most. Is ability to multi task included in this? Which is moderately high if I'm in a switched on mood.
  3. Motivation: High at first, then slips off into nothing. Goes from maybe 8-3.
  4. Tempo: I can move pretty fast at times, but dawdle a hell of a lot so average is low. But that depends on how interesting the task is. I can write pretty fast (maybe 45 wpm), but time me doing the cleaning and it takes all day.
  5. Resiliency: 7/10. Just get back soon as you can.
  6. Skillfulness: Moderately high. I have a fairly wide range of skills I've picked up because I like to try new things now and then. There's probably not that many people who today have been asked to carry a large air conditioning unit across the car park because no one else could carry it, to do their ex wife's hair so she can go out on a night out (well, she only showed me the picture and asked if I could but it was just a regular partial braid fading into a fish tail braid fading into a loose regular braid so it's nothing I can't do) plus usual intellectual work related tasks and a request to bake a pizza from scratch (I have my own recipe for the dough and my garlic bread is divine).
Old 19th-May-2017, 12:01 AM   #11
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
Would there be a difference between how easily you pick up skills, and your range of aptitude? For example, I can say I can pick up skills very quickly in areas I have high aptitude for. But if we switch that to something like art or music (which I have little or know aptitude for), then that rate of skill absorption would be quite low.

I think most of them have a lot of variation for me, dependent on a lot of things.
  1. Attention varies from "barely even noticing the outside world" to "I am one with the universe"
  2. Action: Fairly high - I'd go with 8/10 as there are relatively few things I can't pick up quicker than most. Is ability to multi task included in this? Which is moderately high if I'm in a switched on mood.
  3. Motivation: High at first, then slips off into nothing. Goes from maybe 8-3.
  4. Tempo: I can move pretty fast at times, but dawdle a hell of a lot so average is low. But that depends on how interesting the task is. I can write pretty fast (maybe 45 wpm), but time me doing the cleaning and it takes all day.
  5. Resiliency: 7/10. Just get back soon as you can.
  6. Skillfulness: Moderately high. I have a fairly wide range of skills I've picked up because I like to try new things now and then. There's probably not that many people who today have been asked to carry a large air conditioning unit across the car park because no one else could carry it, to do their ex wife's hair so she can go out on a night out (well, she only showed me the picture and asked if I could but it was just a regular partial braid fading into a fish tail braid fading into a loose regular braid so it's nothing I can't do) plus usual intellectual work related tasks and a request to bake a pizza from scratch (I have my own recipe for the dough and my garlic bread is divine).
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. The fact that you differentiated what you get off to a good start or that you get better as you go for different dichotomies are some of the key factors that I think are important in this comparing all these abilities.

I am not sure that skillfulness fits exactly because of what you mentioned about having an aptitude for different things and other things you don't pick up as easily. Like I was saying, the skillfulness thing is just a bit too specific I think.
Old 19th-May-2017, 12:19 AM   #12
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
Attention: 2/10
Action: 4/10
Achievement: 3/10
Tempo: 7/10
Resiliency: 6/10
Determination: 9/10
This is interesting because its so different than what I would score myself on some of them.

I think mine would look something like:

Attention: largely depends on the subject, but if I am interested, I can be hypervigilant with this. I will say that my attention doesn't last forever tho, even if I am interested in the subject. 5/10
Action: I struggle with "doing a lot of things" which is what this measures. 2-3/10 but its increasing rapidly over the course of the spring.
Achievement: This again, is dependent on the subject but much less so than Attention. Achievement can be a very big motivator for me at times. 7-8/10
Tempo: When I am engaged with something and have a "I just have to do it" attitude, I can be pretty fast here. I have to know what I am doing, which is the only real caveat to this. 6/10
Resilience: I am poor at this and I typically beat myself up for a bit before I look to improve upon what I messed up in the first place. Sometimes I am extremely resilient and other times, when I don't feel competent at said thing, the resilience is slow to come. 3-4/10
Determination: Depends on the goal once again, but if there is proper motivation I am nearly unstoppable, just like AK. I will say 7/10 for this.
Old 19th-May-2017, 04:39 AM   #13
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

It's a pretty cool model and I can see a parallel to physics:

Attention: consciousness, the location in whatever dimension
Action: gives the consciousness a body, space
Achievement: actionable sequence in time
Tempo: the velocity of the agent('s actions)
Resiliency: the nature of continuation of the agent's actions
Determination: the momentum of the agent in carrying out actions
Skill: the efficiency with which actions relate to intended effects

So there's... the different dimensions of purpose based action.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:43 AM   #14
AndyC
Hm?

windows_98_nt_2000safari

One's grasp of the environment should be considered. One's ability to synthesize the information they receive.
I believe this should be called responsiveness and should be added to the model.
This could definitely be something interesting to add to personality.
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Pizzabeak
Guardians of the galaxy

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

I used it but won't post my results. I'm average and below average in some areas while high in others, but the ones that matter least. It could be an effective distribution of stats in a realistic setting but harder to pull off, and maybe more rewarding in a way.
Pizzabeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Attention: 3/10
Action: 3/10
Achievement/determination: 3/10
Tempo: 4/10
Resiliency: 3/10

Man I suck. Kinda expected though.

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 08:45 AM   #17
redbaron
fuck

linuxsafari

Attention: 4
Action: 7
Achievement: 6
Tempo: 9
Resiliency: 10
Determination: 4
Old 19th-May-2017, 06:39 PM   #18
Reluctantly
notzi nazi

linuxsafari

attention: 3
action: 8
achievement: 5
tempo: 7
resiliency: 7
determination: 8

I think.
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
Sandglass
Pixelated

linuxsafari

It's difficult to compare to an average person without having a metric for that so I did a relative estimate and made it add to 50%.

attention: 7
action: 5
achievement: 2
tempo: 3
resiliency: 9
determination: 4
Sandglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Consider me surprised that people are actually taking it upon themselves to score themselves. I didn't think this theory would really go beyond a couple comments.
Old 20th-May-2017, 07:23 AM   #21
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

The most interesting thing to me is that determination and achievement are being scored so differently, despite being described basically in terms of one another.

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-May-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post
The most interesting thing to me is that determination and achievement are being scored so differently, despite being described basically in terms of one another.
That's prolly due to me ascribing the wrong dichotomy for achievement. What I mean was how much does achievement trigger the pleasure sensors in your brain - does achievement release a lot of dopamine when you achieve compared to others.
Old 24th-May-2017, 12:44 AM   #23
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I did some thinking about this. There should really be an option for openness. Openness to change specifically.
Old 24th-May-2017, 03:29 AM   #24
TMills27
beep

linuxsafari

attention: 9
action: 2
achievement: 1
tempo: 7
resiliency: 3
determination: 3

*Results may be different than actual mills27, and may be based on a single type of activity.
TMills27 is offline   Reply With Quote