My brain is different

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054

Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-October-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
TheAdditional1
The Pharaohs Advocate

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: I have Aphantasia

Aphantasia: A condition in which people cannot create images in their head.

Conversely, I think I may be pretty close to hyperphantasia. Visualize everything, even little bubbles of chains of interlocking situations when someone is spelling out their logic.

Far below the technical Sherlockian Mind Palace though. Just creatively.
TheAdditional1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-October-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Are you sure AK? That doesn't seem likely.

How do you remember what something looks like? If I ask you what a face looks like, do you only semantically understand that the eyes are above the nose but below the hairline?

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-October-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post
Are you sure AK? That doesn't seem likely.

How do you remember what something looks like? If I ask you what a face looks like, do you only semantically understand that the eyes are above the nose but below the hairline?
My hypothesis is that spacial awareness is separate from color awareness and that the spacial part of the brain tells the color part what to visualize in people's heads by shaping those colors in a feedback loop. I am fine when it comes to shapes but I do not see colors (in my head) which is the visceral sensation of vision.

This is what I have found from wikipedia:

Quote:

Visual pathways in the human brain. The ventral stream (purple) is important in color recognition. The dorsal stream (green) is also shown. They originate from a common source in the visual cortex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-st...#Dorsal_stream

Dorsal stream[edit]
The dorsal stream is proposed to be involved in the guidance of actions and recognizing where objects are in space. Also known as the parietal stream, the "where" stream, or the "how" stream, this pathway stretches from the primary visual cortex (V1) in the occipital lobe forward into the parietal lobe. It is interconnected with the parallel ventral stream (the "what" stream) which runs downward from V1 into the temporal lobe.
Old 19th-October-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Interesting. The reason I doubted it was because you seem to be very visual in content here, but I guess that can be explained by you liking it when you see it. It's only skepticism, I'm not telling you how you work

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Old 1st-April-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
AndyC
Hm?

linuxsafari

I have auditory aphantasia. To remember sound I remember everything without recreating the sound such as the source of the sound, semantics, context, etc. I can recreate the muscle sensations involved in making sounds via the voice, yet this is fairly limited in it's capacity to let me audiate songs and such because muscle memory is very different and I only use it as a replacement for mnemonics and not for listening. But I have mastered the feedback of pitch due to its simplicity and have developed perfect pitch (note differentiation). Ocassionally when I'm just about to fall asleep I can hear beautiful music quite vividly, but the second I recognise it, it goes away, which is interesting. My brother is very talented at writing great music, and I think it may be a consequence to his possibly well developed audiation abilities, and maybe, if I had not any trouble with such, should I experience similar capabilities? In an IQ test I took, I scored quite low on anything auditory, especially working memory. I'm not sure what it is that is creating this difficulty, I shall possibly research it given the motivation. My visual imagination is quite capable, at least it seems so, I did not score incredibly high on any tasks that test this ability. Smell, probably like most, cannot be conjured within my imagination, as well as taste but I can recreate touch and pain at a level close to that of visualisation.
Old 1st-April-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
ToddRyler
Redshirt

linuxubuntufirefox

Quite interesting
ToddRyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-April-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
QuickTwist
Man of few words

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I am this way for certain things as well. My therapist asked me how I would like to see myself, where I was in life that made me feel content and happy. I could only think of myself in an appartment cutting vegetables in a dark kitchen. This exercise was supposed to give me an idea of what goals I should set for myself and instead I had no compelling evidence for what I would like my life to look like given there were no obstacles. If you asked this question my therapist asked me, a lot of people would prolly say they would want to be rich or have a nice house or nice car and have a successful job and have an attractive SO and possibly have kids or something. I don't have any of those aspirations and in fact I have so little to even dream about. I have no idea what I want to accomplish in/with my life. I literally have no real goals that really want to pursue. I am simply experiencing life moment by moment.
Old 18th-May-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2011/123173/

Quote:
Neuroimaging data have shown activation of the cerebellum during the mental rotation of objects

Block Design
cerebellum

The left temporoparietal junction could be involved in temporal ordering and integration of local elements into a nonverbal gestalt.

Cancellation was sensitive to left frontotemporal lesions and not right posterior parietal lesions typical of other visual search tasks.

Figure Weights task appears to critically involve the right temporoparietal junction involved in numerical magnitude estimation.

On the basis of these findings, it would be hypothesized that Figure Weights would be reliant on the dorsal frontoparietal circuits within the right hemisphere.

Fluid intelligence has been shown to be dependent on a network of regions including the lateral prefrontal cortex, posterior parietal cortex, dorsal anterior cingulate and the lateral posterior cerebellum involved in executive attentional control

Cancellation is a supplemental subtest that requires that subjects scan a structured arrangement of colored shapes and mark the targets and avoid the distractors. This subtest is similar to cancellation tasks designed to measure processing speed, visual selective attention, vigilance, perceptual speed, and visuomotor ability.

Neglect characteristically involves a failure to acknowledge or explore stimuli towards the contralesional side of space. Visual neglect is usually more frequent and severe after right hemisphere lesions [25, page 481], and it often co-occurs with the complicating factor of anosognosia.

More recently, Urbanski and colleagues showed that visuospatial neglect correlated with specific damage to the frontoparietal and fronto-occipital white matter fiber tracts in the right hemisphere. These fasciculi connect the dorsal spatial attentional neural substrates of the inferior parietal lobule with the premotor and prefrontal cortex. These diffusion tensor imaging studies show that chronic visual neglect can result from, and correlate with, damage to frontoparietal connections in the right hemisphere presumably involved in spatial working memory [30].

Figure Weight’s g loading was the highest of all of the 15 WAIS-IV subtests and the next highest loading subtests included Arithmetic (0.75), Vocabulary (0.74), and Similarities and Block Design (both at 0.70). The lowest loading subtest in the WAIS-IV is Cancellation at 0.37, and it is construed as primarily a measure of processing speed.
Old 19th-May-2017, 04:07 AM   #11
Reluctantly
notzi nazi

windows_98_nt_2000safari

huh, so if you can only picture things in black-and-white, then does a color-blind person color things how they want in their mind's eye? I mean I know people can be born blind, yet still be able to understand and draw perspective.

But that's weird to me; I have to visualize everything. I have the opposite problem where I'll sometimes forget common words, yet see or know the meaning of the word or feeling I want to say.
Old 19th-May-2017, 05:59 AM   #12
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Am I the only one who suspects that this is closely tied to the cognitive functions?

Like, having a particular function, maybe Se, low down in the psyche.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:24 AM   #13
AndyC
Hm?

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Am I the only one who suspects that this is closely tied to the cognitive functions?

Like, having a particular function, maybe Se, low down in the psyche.
I highly doubt they are related. Yes, lack of utility of a certain perception will cause it to stop functioning, and functions can influence this, but not even close to a sufficient level to cause aphantasia.