INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Philosophy

Old 20th-February-2017, 08:36 PM   #51
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Why I'm not scared of Islam and nor should you be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seteleechete View Post
Why trust or dogmatically say it's true? Why not assume without that. If I assume x, y is true. Assumptions are useful but why do you need trust or faith in them? If something is unknown/unknownable I leave it unknown and use assumptions instead.(Alternatively some would call it a form of radical skepticism).
To a person that believes, the assumptions are not unknown. You don't have faith in assumptions you have faith in what is absolute truth. Logically what is not truth is just an assumption. And logically if something is true you can defend it logically. If something is not true can it be defended logically? You need base your claims on evidence or sound reasoning. If people do not all have the same information then personal experience may be discounted as real evidence if it is not your personal experience. What you personally don't know can only be seen as an assumption on your part. To the person that believes, they don't have assumptions, they have the truth. So even if they are wrong, as long as they can defend it, their mind cannot be changed.

Wrong Epistemology is the reason you can defend an untruth as truth with logic.
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-February-2017, 08:49 PM   #52
Seteleechete
Totally not a loner

unknownfirefox

Right, which is partly why I find radical skepticism(or some form of) appealing. It denies all truth including the truth of its own statement denying all truth. Everything becomes assumptions based on perspective. You might not be right taking that view but you can(presumably) avoid being wrong.
Old 20th-February-2017, 08:57 PM   #53
Invisible Gorilla
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seteleechete View Post
Why trust or dogmatically say it's true? Why not assume without that. If I assume x, y is true. Assumptions are useful but why do you need trust or faith in them? If something is unknown/unknownable I leave it unknown and use assumptions instead.(Alternatively some would call it a form of radical skepticism).
Trusting in an assumption isn't necessarily thinking that it's true in any objective or even a collective subjective sense, at least at the individual level. My understanding of my assumption is probably distorted and would probably change with time. The thing about assuming though is that when you assume something and you then act based on it or embody it, you're essentially trusting that acting based on your assumption is appropriate enough in this situation. You're also trusting that not acting on other assumptions would not threaten your chances of survival, your self conception or whatever it is you value the most. For example, a soldier would think about defending his country and surviving but would not think about the risks of getting a rare form of skin cancer when he's at the front. Thus, there's an implicit trust/faith that the soldier has in that focusing his attention on the war rather than worrying about eating anti-oxidants to reduce cancer risk is the best thing to do. It's not that he will not get that rare form of skin cancer or that focusing on the war is the "right" or true assumption to have, but that the very action of embodying or focusing on defending the borders indicates that that soldier has trust or faith in it. The soldiers, thus, has a form of faith and trust (from his own subjective experience) in mother nature/ his god/ the abyss ...whatever one is to call it. If he perceives that the benefits outweigh the risks and acts based upon it, he has thus showed that he trusts or has faith in that his action is good enough from his prespective to act upon it in this context. The point isn't necessarily that the assumption is dogmatically true but that since many unknowns exist and since nothing is necessarily provable, the concept of faith might have originated from the relationship between the individual and the complex abyss of the totality and from the individual's attempt to comprehend it.
I'm not sure if that was a real reply for your question though ? Could you clarify if it isn't ?

PS: Dear Mods, should we move this to another thread so that this thread doesn't get derailed ?
Invisible Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-February-2017, 10:40 PM   #54
TBerg
fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings

macossafari

I don't think punishing Europe and the descendants of Europe is any viable plan for making the Middle East a better place or making any other place better either.

Hand-wringing and self-loathing navel-gazing. No! We will overcome.

Thinking myself and others out of our own holes.
TBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-February-2017, 10:46 PM   #55
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Why I'm not scared of Islam and nor should you be.
THE #1 ILLUMINATI AGENDA TO CREATE CHAOS IN WESTERN NATIONS EXPOSED

Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote