INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Music

Old 27th-July-2016, 03:56 AM   #1
deadwisper
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default How INTPs as musicians?

Hi, in advance sorry for my grammar as the title suggest,, i wonder how INTPs as musicians,, and do you know any INTPs musicians?(famous or not famous) i mean i love science and all,, im a computer geek etc. but i decided to pursue career of a musician,, something about making music attracts me,, and im listening to music whenever i can,, it is one of passions from childhood,, i always wanted to sing though and was sinning quite a lot,, enjoyed it a lot also,, but since my voice isnt that great i decided to just make music....... by no means im gonna stop working on my dream depending on the results of this thread,, but i dont mind a little inspiration or a discouragement if it comes to that both types of posts appreciated....... thanks
deadwisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-July-2016, 05:03 AM   #2
smithcommajohn
Do not consume with alcohol

macossafari
Default Re: How INTPs as musicians?

I'm INTP and also very into music. I've tried to compose music in the past, but have discovered I'm more of an admirer of art than an artist. I don't believe it's a limitation of type, however, so don't be discouraged.

The world needs more music... it is such a pure form of communication.

Ne Fi Ni Ti Se Si Te Fe INFP INTP ENFP 5w6 9w1 4w5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseumpuffs View Post
If you think about it, suicide is just delayed self-abortion.
smithcommajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-October-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
WhatWasThat

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How INTPs as musicians?

Buckethead is often attributed as being an INTP. Richard D James (Aphex Twin) also. I think there are probably more INFPs in music than INTPs but INTP musicians are probably less likely to be the "front man/woman" or leader of a band so maybe they just aren't noticed as much. We aren't exactly the attention seeking type after all. My guess is there are more INTPs in electronic music or making film/tv/videogame scores as well, since those things are easier to do alone.

I think the biggest hurdle for being a musician as an INTP is staying dedicated to it. INTPs are sort of known for being a bit flaky and having a million different interests/hobbies none of which they stay 100% dedicated to. Music is really something that requires you to focus on for many years.

One of the reasons Buckethead is commonly typed as an INTP is because when he was in bands he was constantly not showing up, always late, etc...plus he literally hides behind a mask on stage. He also puts out a ridiculous number of songs/albums (he has released over 100 hours of music over the last few years) but they often feel like cool grab bags of ideas rather than highly focused and completed songs. Richard D James similarly has also done interviews in the past where he said he had hundreds of unreleased tracks and relied on friends to tell him which ones to actually release.

I am a computer geek by trade but my strongest interest in life has always been music, both appreciating it and making it (I play guitar and piano). Yeah I know an INTP computer geek, who would have thought?
WhatWasThat is offline   Reply With Quote