INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Literature

Old 28th-April-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
deathvirtuoso

macossafari
Default What is considered a good writing style? (Fiction)

Do you think writing style is important? I place great importance on writing style, but find it nearly impossible to find a book (an author, actually) with great writing style. What do you consider a good writing style? On a scale of 1-10, how important do you find it? Can you list some books (or authors) you think have great writing styles?
Old 28th-April-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Rook
Resident Member

linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: What is considered a good writing style? (Fiction)

It depends largely on reader preference, unless a heavily objective attitude towards mostly literary fiction is undertaken as a serious study.

I read to imagine, to envisage through words worlds forged in the minds of others.

So the writing styles are not critiqued upon much, rather I focus on the images created within my brain, with the manner of transmittance a secondary concern when measured against the quality of imagined realms seen during the congress.

Regarding your question, it may help if you were to narrow down the field of styles that you are seeking. What genre, tone and so forth; perhaps supplying currently admired authors to further aid your search.

While one author may effect a style worthy of their humorous content, another may write in serious tones of fastidious objectivity while still more will shew a vast myriad of styles enjoyed by varying audiences of readers.

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th-April-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Matt1210
Redshirt

unknownfirefox

I was struck recently by how clear and effective Lee Child's writing style is. Short sentences, to the point.

He writes action novels but the writing style seems "intuition" led rather than "sensing". Lots of Ti analysis in the mind of the books' hero, (Jack Reacher)
Matt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-May-2016, 03:04 AM   #4
ruminator
INTP 4w5

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathvirtuoso View Post
Do you think writing style is important? I place great importance on writing style, but find it nearly impossible to find a book (an author, actually) with great writing style. What do you consider a good writing style? On a scale of 1-10, how important do you find it? Can you list some books (or authors) you think have great writing styles?
I like Nabokov's style in Lolita, but haven't liked it in a few of his other books, maybe it changes from book to book.
ruminator is offline   Reply With Quote