INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Psychology & Neuroscience

Old 9th-November-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Grayman
Me^1

windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default IQ TEST WHY

I have seen a number of IQ and intelligence tests come through this forum. The question is, "why?". Is this something to do with the people on this forum or is it to do with INTPs in general?

What in our subjective value system makes us rush in to take these things? Are we trying to prove something to ourselves or someone else? If so, what is it?

Discuss.
Old 9th-November-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Absurdity
Resident Member

macossafari
Default Re: IQ TEST WHY

Moved to Psychology subforum. General is for forum announcements.
Absurdity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Pizzabeak
Guardians of the galaxy

macossafari

They want to see how accurate a finely grained picture of reality they can conceive or understand, and having an IQ within a certain range would basically be reassuring.
Pizzabeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Well, a lot of people on this forum think they are intelligent and like to prove just how intelligent they are.

I've never understood the appeal either.

I suspect a lot of it is from INTP dogma - "Oh! Einstein was an INTP!? I must be so smart!"
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Grayman
Me^1

windows_98_nt_2000ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzabeak View Post
They want to see how accurate a finely grained picture of reality they can conceive or understand, and having an IQ within a certain range would basically be reassuring.
Would not the majority of what we interact with require more of an Emotional Intelligence rather than a basic ability to see shapes and patterns in a group of letters or words? Is there any IQ test that would test for our ability to really picture and understand reality?
Old 9th-November-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Minuend
Resident Member

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

"Emotional" intelligence requires general intelligence. It's probably an underrated indicator of intelligence.

It seems some have more specialized intelligence where they have higher activities in certain parts of the brain and excels in those, but at the same time can be completely oblivious to other factors. (The human one, for instance)

Others seems to have more broad intelligence. They might not reach certain peaks, but they can often be better at seeing the whole picture and thus getting a more accurate understanding of reality at a lesser IQ. Larger connectivity between more parts of the brain.

~~~~~

As for why people take an interest in tests. A non-deviant human needs and likes acknowledgment. People tend to take pride in certain traits or feats. It's a source of self confidence and often identity. Being admired or looked up to is also usually a flattering thing.

Getting a 160 might be seen as a proof of one's reality being more "right". Even if someone disagrees with you or you get overwhelmingly amounts of negative feedback, it can be dismissed because you find it more probable that you with your superior intellect is right.

For some it is a reassurance perhaps rarely gotten growing up. Being told the opposite most of their lives, finally they have being proven to have some "value".

There's probably a dozen more motivations. I'll just stop here.
Iíll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail or prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust.
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Cherry Cola
Banned

If you do the WAIS test you get different subscores so that you can see your strengths and weaknesses=useful
Cherry Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Fukyo
blurb blurb

INTPcentral has(had?) a special high IQ subforum where only members that score above a certain line could post in.

It's obvious that people who identify with NT letters in general have a high opinion of their intelligence.
Old 9th-November-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Hawkeye
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukyo View Post
It's obvious that people who identify with NT letters in general have a high opinion of their intelligence.
...and they often severely overestimate it.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-November-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzabeak View Post
I think this is right on the money. If you think you're intelligent, there are two possibilities: you are intelligent and thus you are correct in this assessment, or you are so stupid you think you're smart #DunningKruger

By having your intelligence verified, your essentially get a free pass to assume yourself correct in other domains. The value of every subsequent thought you have is contingent on your IQ.

I don't think this way, but I have in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Well, a lot of people on this forum think they are intelligent and like to prove just how intelligent they are.

I've never understood the appeal either.

I suspect a lot of it is from INTP dogma - "Oh! Einstein was an INTP!? I must be so smart!"
The Einstein thing contributes, but I think that applies to pretty much everyone who wants to think they have unmet potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukyo View Post
INTPcentral has(had?) a special high IQ subforum where only members that score above a certain line could post in.

That sounds disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayman View Post
Would not the majority of what we interact with require more of an Emotional Intelligence rather than a basic ability to see shapes and patterns in a group of letters or words? Is there any IQ test that would test for our ability to really picture and understand reality?
I reckon a test could be designed, but I as of yet do not know of one.

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote