INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Literature

Old 21st-July-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
000x0
Parad0x

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Question How easy it is for you INTP's to read ?

As title.

In the begin it was hard to read something I wanted but wasn't interested. With the time I got myself more focused. But overall I need a quiet place or environment to read or I get easily distracted, and also tend to re-read more than twice every time I fall in a thinking cycle, because every time this happens I tend to forgot what was read.
000x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-July-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
SporkMaster
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: How easy it is for you INTP's to read ?

I find it pretty easy to read nonfiction material and memorize it, and I never really get bored of it. Nonfiction is fairly easy for me to read in busy environments.
I can't read fiction easily because it either is boring as hell and I can't stay focused on the book or is almost too interesting and I skip over most of the words and skip straight to the dialogue. I can't read a boring book in a busy environment for the life of me.
SporkMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-July-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Siegen
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000x0 View Post
As title.

In the begin it was hard to read something I wanted but wasn't interested. With the time I got myself more focused. But overall I need a quiet place or environment to read or I get easily distracted, and also tend to re-read more than twice every time I fall in a thinking cycle, because every time this happens I tend to forgot what was read.
Yeah that happens to me a lot. It helps if I don't have access to Wikipedia or Google. And so I tend to do most of my reading on the bus or on the couch while listening to music.
Siegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-July-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
000x0
Parad0x

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkMaster View Post
.. is almost too interesting and I skip over most of the words and skip straight to the dialogue...
I have this also!
Whenever I got something interesting, my excitement makes me skip to go direct to the point, this happens a lot with scientific reports. "GIVE ME THE DATA ALREADY DANM IT!"
Old 22nd-July-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
Seteleechete
Never lie to yourself

unknownfirefox

After reading enough fiction you can effectively filter any unrelated/filler material that you read and only process the essential points. It wastly improves reading speed without really detracting from the quality of the work. In fact I like to think it becomes more enjoyable as you don't get sloved down/bored by nonsensical filler.(You end up slowing down naturally in parts you enjoy).
Old 22nd-July-2016, 03:11 AM   #6
000x0
Parad0x

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seteleechete View Post
...as you don't get slowed down/bored by nonsensical filler...
I always stay mixed thinking if it's really necessary the " filling " content, sometimes it looks like it is just to look bigger the content, like students do it in school reports.. Or is to make easier to read for most people ? .. or maybe adding these "fillers", it makes room for the climax to be noted ...

I don't really know..
Old 22nd-July-2016, 03:43 AM   #7
Helvete
ironshirt

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seteleechete View Post
After reading enough fiction you can effectively filter any unrelated/filler material that you read and only process the essential points. It wastly improves reading speed without really detracting from the quality of the work. In fact I like to think it becomes more enjoyable as you don't get sloved down/bored by nonsensical filler.(You end up slowing down naturally in parts you enjoy).
I saw the first typo and laughed at how ironic it is then saw the second and am now thinking it was all intentional...

@OP

I rarely can read books now as I just lack the motivation to do so and I get distracted too easily. I think its a problem with availability of content rather than content itself. I can surf the web all day and maintain focus prett much regardless of whats going on around me. Sometimes I can power through a book or most of it but I have to be fully engaged or I won't get back to it as once I lose focus it can almost feel like a chore to re enter.
Helvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-July-2016, 01:12 PM   #8
Seteleechete
Never lie to yourself

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I pretty much exclusively read from easily indexed/found books/fiction on the internet.

https://www.fanfiction.net/
https://www.fictionpress.com/
https://Novelupdates.com
http://royalroadl.com/fictions/latest-updates/
https://archiveofourown.org/
Old 26th-November-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
Emerald
ScatterBrain

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I go through books the way someone might go through a bag of chips. At least I used to. Now I don't have time to read as much, but with a good fiction book, it doesn't matter if the environment is loud or quiet, I become deaf and blind to everything. With nonfiction it's a bit different. I get captivated by it as well, but it is more difficult for me to be interested in it for a long time. So I need to take breaks to process what I read.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
baccheion

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Usually, I space out or fall asleep when I try to read. Reading on a screen (laptop, for example) rather than from a book usually helps.
baccheion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Depends on the material, the situation I'm in and my mood.

I can't read anything I find boring, I find that I just start wishing it were over instead of paying attention.

If I'm in bed and it cozy and I feel very comfortable I'll probably fall asleep, it's wont be the reading making me sleep it'll just be me wanting to.

If I don't feel like reading I find that I need to be very conscious and deliberate to make sure I'm reading and not thinking about or doing other things instead.

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
zerkalo
bali maŠk. bali, bali, bali, bali

windows_98_nt_2000safari

i used to read a lot years ago. now i no longer have the patience =( i find it excruciating to press myself to finish a long book these days
mostly either read short books or watch films now. i think i prefer and have more patience for pictorial and cinematic mediums in general
Old 26th-November-2016, 09:48 PM   #13
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

I love to read.

Laziest and most productive pass time, evah.

Oh, except for maybe for audio and pod casts etc. That's even lazier.

I like my material to be educational, groundbreaking, entertaining, and west of weird.

I mostly enjoy non-fiction , but written competently with creative themes.

As for fiction, I really dig the supernatural and classics in horror, sci fi, fantasy, thrillers , mysteries etc.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-December-2016, 12:37 AM   #14
gwyxion
Redshirt

windows_xp_2003safari

If it catches my attention, I can red for hours without even noticing. I've been known to finish books in a single day.

If I'm not immediately engaged, I'd rather just not. I've also gone months without picking up a book because nothing caught my eye.

Comics are great for that, though. If the art is well done, it grabs you immediately, and you're processing the story before you even know it. It engages both your language and puzzle-solving skill sets, so that's a bonus, too.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk