INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Visual Art

Old 31st-January-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
Happy
ENTP

macossafari
Default Let's talk about art!

What are your thoughts on art?

This thread is not intended to discuss a certain aspect, but rather a free for all. Feel free to discuss anything, but please remember that art has been around for thousands of years and has developed many different styles, schools of thought and definitions.
Happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-January-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Cheeseumpuffs
Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Let's talk about art!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
It's alright, I guess.
Old 31st-January-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
onesteptwostep
on indefinite leave

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Hmm I was at a retreat organization once and I met some single doctor lady who told me art was just a product of struggle. Apparently she painted when she was going through a hard time in life. If you think about it it's somewhat true. Art that resonates comes from hardship, or portrays hardship. The abstract ones we have today have no impact, or else they're just elegant maths (like surrealism, deconstructive, MC Escher stuff)

I think generally, after WW2, art's been like this, since it was generally a form of high culture.
That is their hue
onesteptwostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-January-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Rook
Resident Member

linuxfedorafirefox

(Seeing as this thread is within the visual sphere of things, my post has attained a semblance of redundancy)

I find myself drawn to music and literature, other forms such as visual and theatrical art hold less appeal when compared to the staggering complexity of The Outside:

bush squirrels in a marula, the mists rolling in from the mountains and the moon painted orange as it rotates by.

{I have an appreciation for well done clay sculptures though, they can be made quite vibrantly alive under the right hands}

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-January-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Urakro
~

linuxfirefox

(Please excuse my mild temporary dyslexia, honestly I can't help it)

I'm finding visual painting/drawing just as fascinating as music. But all art seems to be a way of translating something inside the artist that words alone can't. Good art is initially made for the artist and not originally intended for the audience, and it was used to explore a thought, idea, or feeling subjective to the artist.

The big question is what is it about art that makes it pleasing? Yes, including paintings of landscapes, and then abstracts, but it also reaches a much more wider scope of applications, not excluding symbols and logos, photography, fonts, and even work memos.

Visual art has some similarities to music such as that it has structure, and some form of playful consistency, and sharing similar attributes such as contrast, fullness, texture, and a focal point.

A reoccurring thing about professional art is that the artist will have a strong tendency to put the focal point near a 'phi' of the view-port or canvas. I've noticed this with movies, where the film maker will have a strong tendency to put the focus either direct center, or at the golden ratio line of the screen. But just using phi alone will hardly guarantee attractiveness.

Using a combination of interesting palettes, transitions, a path that captures the audience into the art's unified culmination, and then allowing a safe release and exit while leaving behind an indescribable souvenir to ponder with are only some of the effects found in a masterpiece.
Urakro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-January-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Cherry Cola
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I find it strange that people are more into music than visual art considering humans and primates in general are visual animals.
Cherry Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-February-2016, 02:03 AM   #7
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesteptwostep View Post
Hmm I was at a retreat organization once and I met some single doctor lady who told me art was just a product of struggle. Apparently she painted when she was going through a hard time in life. If you think about it it's somewhat true. Art that resonates comes from hardship, or portrays hardship. The abstract ones we have today have no impact, or else they're just elegant maths (like surrealism, deconstructive, MC Escher stuff)

I think generally, after WW2, art's been like this, since it was generally a form of high culture.
I'd argue that art that holds the most meaning speaks for a generation or, more specifically, a demographic. Your doctor lady's definition fits within the scope of my umbrella classification. For instance, modernism in art (I'm speaking of 20th century modernism - De Stijl, Bauhaus, Abstract Expressionism, etc.) was somewhat a revolution, during and following times of turmoil. As an example, the Bauhaus school was opened in Weimar, Germany in 1919, in the year following the conclusion of the first world war, after being conceived by Walter Gropius while he fought in the war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
(Seeing as this thread is within the visual sphere of things, my post has attained a semblance of redundancy)

I find myself drawn to music and literature, other forms such as visual and theatrical art hold less appeal when compared to the staggering complexity of The Outside:

bush squirrels in a marula, the mists rolling in from the mountains and the moon painted orange as it rotates by.

{I have an appreciation for well done clay sculptures though, they can be made quite vibrantly alive under the right hands}
I don't understand. Why should the visual and theatrical arts be dwarfed by music and literature? They don't do any better in comprehending the complexity of our existence. They only do it differently. I'd like to hear what you have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urakro View Post
(Please excuse my mild temporary dyslexia, honestly I can't help it)

I'm finding visual painting/drawing just as fascinating as music. But all art seems to be a way of translating something inside the artist that words alone can't. Good art is initially made for the artist and not originally intended for the audience, and it was used to explore a thought, idea, or feeling subjective to the artist.

The big question is what is it about art that makes it pleasing? Yes, including paintings of landscapes, and then abstracts, but it also reaches a much more wider scope of applications, not excluding symbols and logos, photography, fonts, and even work memos.

Visual art has some similarities to music such as that it has structure, and some form of playful consistency, and sharing similar attributes such as contrast, fullness, texture, and a focal point.

A reoccurring thing about professional art is that the artist will have a strong tendency to put the focal point near a 'phi' of the view-port or canvas. I've noticed this with movies, where the film maker will have a strong tendency to put the focus either direct center, or at the golden ratio line of the screen. But just using phi alone will hardly guarantee attractiveness.

Using a combination of interesting palettes, transitions, a path that captures the audience into the art's unified culmination, and then allowing a safe release and exit while leaving behind an indescribable souvenir to ponder with are only some of the effects found in a masterpiece.
I agree with the majority of your post here, but I'm having difficulty with the focus that you're describing. I mean, that's true for some forms, especially portraits and most landscapes, but it's certainly not a universal rule - particularly post-1900.
In saying that, you're right, it's definitely true in the medium of film, but that, I think is part of the restrictions the medium puts on the expression. Which is one thing I really like about film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Cola View Post
I find it strange that people are more into music than visual art considering humans and primates in general are visual animals.
Me too. Maybe it's because music doesn't need your full attention to be appreciated? Like, if you're looking at a painting or something, your primary sense (sight) is preoccupied with that, but if you're listening to music, you can be doing just about anything else concurrently.
Old 1st-February-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Blarraun
straightedgy

I second Rook. I'm rarely drawn to visual arts, most of the time I spend with art is with music and literature, I enjoy these media more overall.

The visual medium limits my imagination, it imposes firm structures on my thinking and doesn't allow the same freedom of participation compared to others. In this sense, it's more entertaining than it is a wholesome and engaging experience.

If I were to choose between visiting art galleries or museums, or sightseeing various architectural marvels, I'd rather enjoy what the wilderness has to offer. No art can compare with the landscapes and natural wonders here on earth or the harmonious feelings I have when walking among it.
Blarraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-February-2016, 08:25 AM   #9
Rook
Resident Member

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I

I don't understand. Why should the visual and theatrical arts be dwarfed by music and literature? They don't do any better in comprehending the complexity of our existence. They only do it differently. I'd like to hear what you have to say.
Blarruan summed it up rather nicely.

Literature is far more rewarding for an active imagination, creating a world solely within one's mind and giving one the ability to pen down a reality never created before(or never before encountered by it's creator, at least).

Music may do the same at times, close your eyes and themes of great abstraction or tranquility can flow forth from music, a castle filled with strange and eldritch beings or an epic journey defying contemporary physics.

There are some albums that one can listen to in order, falling into a meditative trance while the mind.... explores and creates.

In the end, just as within the differing schools of the mediums themselves, preference for certain types of art are up to individual preference.

That being said, is there a definite answer as to what type of art humanity as a whole values the most?

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-February-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
onesteptwostep
on indefinite leave

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Cola View Post
Well music you can just download or go to some event and enjoy it, and it's usually readily connected with youths (because of colleges). Art has to be packaged more in order to reach an audience (galleries, art fairs, displays in public places etc).

Here's something that might be interesting: http://www.woohnayoung.com/#!fairytales/c1tyb

I find it interesting when people mash up modern motifs with traditional ones. It gives sort of an interesting juxtaposition.

And this guy...: http://www.kimjunggius.com/collections/original-artwork
Here's more. The detail is amazing.

On an abstract level I'm fond of this person: http://www.lehmannmaupin.com/artists/do-ho-suh

The theme behind his works is supposed to showcase his longing for a 'home'. He lived in both New York and Seoul but doesn't feel comfortable in either one of them. When he's in New York, he misses Seoul, but when he's in Seoul, he misses New York. He's probably happy about the money he's made now, but yeah. His works with the satin are basically to represent the transcendence of home.
That is their hue
onesteptwostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-February-2016, 02:04 AM   #11
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Quote:
Literature is far more rewarding for an active imagination, creating a world solely within one's mind and giving one the ability to pen down a reality never created before(or never before encountered by it's creator, at least).
I get this kind of experience from visual art, but it's different. While I enjoy building my own mental image of the world within a literary novel, I build a similar sort of image when I analyse visual art. Only, instead of being directed outwardly and building a mental image of the world wherein the story lies, it's directed at building a mental image of the creator, the artist. I find this much more interesting and stimulating. Why did [artist] do that? What was happening in their life to make them have this perspective? What world events were shaping this artist's perspective? - that sort of thing. When I look at a painting/sculpture/whatever, I try and piece together everything that led to it.

So, I disagree that literature is more rewarding for an active imagination and argue that how one applies their imagination to an interpretation is much more pertinent.

Quote:
Music may do the same at times, close your eyes and themes of great abstraction or tranquility can flow forth from music, a castle filled with strange and eldritch beings or an epic journey defying contemporary physics.

There are some albums that one can listen to in order, falling into a meditative trance while the mind.... explores and creates.

In the end, just as within the differing schools of the mediums themselves, preference for certain types of art are up to individual preference.

That being said, is there a definite answer as to what type of art humanity as a whole values the most?
I agree about the music thing. For me personally, classical music is my go-to for that feeling.

As far as what type of art humanity values the most, I don't think it's a question that has, nor needs, an answer.
Old 2nd-February-2016, 02:11 AM   #12
Brontosaurie
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
I'm jelly
Brontosaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-February-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
Polaris
Resident Member

macossafari

I have poor imagination, so for me the visual is extremely important in gaining an insight into different worlds. Literature does the same as it "paints" a picture with words. I have trouble with poetry, as interpretation is quite imaginative and subjective, whereas I tend to take something visual quite literally. Someone gave me a poetry book for my birthday once and I gracefully accepted it, later leafing through it thinking I don't understand anything, this is bollocks. I was somewhat fascinated with Sylvia Plath and William Blake when younger and I know some people I know will scoff condescendingly at this but whatever - it resonated at the time so fuck the snobs.

Later on I learnt how to interpret poetry and with this I decided it is all rubbish because if one has to learn how to interpret, then what is the point - it just seems pretentious, having to follow a recipe for how to interpret art - it should be intuitive, and if not, it's not for me.

I have written somewhat poetic things when lacking in expression myself at times, when conventional language fails and just sounds trite and redundant. Usually during times of distress, or when I experience inner peace, which is rare. I don't expect others to understand it though, but if they do - bonus. Someone recognises my experience.

I like perusing art galleries and I prefer landscapes and abstract art. I don't enjoy portraits much, they bore me for some reason. Perhaps because I struggle with eyes and facial expressions - they confuse me. Then again, people in general confuse me and the last thing I want to find in an art gallery is pictures of more bloody people, drilling their personal torment and emotion into me. I can study a portrait for it's techniques and appreciate the skill of the artist though. Certain landscapes and abstract art seem to hit a nerve in some subliminal fashion, perhaps a deep intuition that I haven't tapped into and I prefer it to remain on the level of mystery. The mystery can give me inspiration, like there are messages shrouded in some sort of code - the code seems to burn to an inner retina and stays with me in the same way music does. Music has always been my main interest, but lately I have trouble even appreciating this artform.

There just seems to be nothing new, all art seems to repeat itself through it's different forms. Perhaps I'm just jaded.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-February-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Cherry Cola
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:

Me too. Maybe it's because music doesn't need your full attention to be appreciated? Like, if you're looking at a painting or something, your primary sense (sight) is preoccupied with that, but if you're listening to music, you can be doing just about anything else concurrently.
That's definitely a big part of it. I wonder if its the only reason though. Hard to imagine appreciating imagery without having it require full or almost full attention. Maybe it really is the only reason.

@onesteptwostep:

I think the availability is a consequence of the level of appreciation. If people wanted to consume more visual art it'd be more readily available :O Oh and nice concept art.
Cherry Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-February-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
Brontosaurie
Banned

linuxsafari

Music is of course the best since it's rhythmical like the heartbeat and like neuronal frequencies. Music beckons tribal synchronization. Music directly addresses the passage of time toward death simply by virtue of its form. Music will prompt bodies to release tensions produced by emotional trauma. Thus it is the nexus of spirit and flesh.
Brontosaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-June-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
Saywhatnow

linuxsafari

Quote:

This thread is not intended to discuss a certain aspect, but rather a free for all. Feel free to discuss anything, but please remember that art has been around for thousands of years and has developed many different styles, schools of thought and definitions.
What is not art? Everything is art and we are all art on someone else's canvas.
Saywhatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-July-2016, 05:45 AM   #17
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die

Trying to debate what is bad Art, trying to provide some kind of rational, cogent, analytical, repeatable, universalist basis for it, got met with tremendous resistance in an online painting forum I used to take part of. It got so bad that I all but abandoned my social participation there. I went looking for a different community, hopefully of people who were more like-minded in their willingness to analyze and engage a subject matter in a certain way. I landed here, on the intpforum site. The Art subforum was a bit slow so I haven't had much specifically to say here.

A fair number of artists don't feel they have to justify or explain their opinions in any way. Thus their proclivities and concerns are often meaningless to certain other groups of people. They aren't even interested in verbalizing or working out why they do what they do, or how anyone reacts to it. No shock to me that the general public doesn't like a lot of these artists, and even sees them as rich pricks.
bvanevery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-July-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Happy
ENTP

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Trying to debate what is bad Art, trying to provide some kind of rational, cogent, analytical, repeatable, universalist basis for it, got met with tremendous resistance in an online painting forum I used to take part of. It got so bad that I all but abandoned my social participation there. I went looking for a different community, hopefully of people who were more like-minded in their willingness to analyze and engage a subject matter in a certain way. I landed here, on the intpforum site. The Art subforum was a bit slow so I haven't had much specifically to say here.

A fair number of artists don't feel they have to justify or explain their opinions in any way. Thus their proclivities and concerns are often meaningless to certain other groups of people. They aren't even interested in verbalizing or working out why they do what they do, or how anyone reacts to it. No shock to me that the general public doesn't like a lot of these artists, and even sees them as rich pricks.
That's an interesting discussion - how do you define bad art?
Would you care to share your opinion?

My immediate thought is that art without specific intent or imbued cultural meaning is not good art.

For instance, my favourite artist of all time, Wassily Kandinsky, painted mostly primary shapes, lines and squiggles. This sounds straight away to be rubbish, but there is a great deal of complexity in his paintings. The composition was very carefully thought out, and his use of form, hierarchy, space and order was exquisite. He worked extremely hard to understand the effects his shapes and colours would have on the viewer, and the way they would be interpreted as feelings. He intended to take the viewer on a journey of emotion.

Here are some examples:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I can't think of any examples of bad art off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManBeyond View Post
u never know if u fuck a lot
without shield
like a true warrior
Old 26th-July-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die

Cy Twombly did a lot of bad Art. Maybe not all of his pieces are equally bad, but his Bacchus series sucks. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/ar...rk-making.html

bvanevery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-July-2016, 02:00 AM   #20
reloaded

unknownfirefox

I've never felt deeply about any artworks, and do not understand how someone can feel an "emotional connection" or whatever it is. But I'm curious how it feels like. That being said, I quite like Picasso's artworks. As for recent years, the morbid artworks I encountered on tumblr a few years back were pretty decent. When it comes to art, I'm really attracted to morbidity and complexity. Unless you're using water color (my fav), then I like a sense of human fragility in the art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote