INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Old 11th-January-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Variation on Plato's Divided Line and the 4 Functions

I have a long time ago noticed a similarity between Plato's divided line and the four functions (N, S, F, T). The line goes like this

| Intelligence/Dialectic
| Mathematical reasoning
| Belief
| Illusion

Now, there is a certain aspect of this which makes it so that the higher portion is valued much more strongly than the lower portion, so I have made a similar version to correspond better to the 4 functions

| Speculation/Understanding
| Knowledge/Logic
| Belief/Sentiment
| Appearance/Observation

And the obvious correspondance to the functions is as such:

| N
| T
| F
| S

As you will noticed, the more widespread a given function is in the populace, the lower it is down the line.

I'll use in particular the terms speculation/knowledge/belief/observation, and then we combine with the elements of I and E. I means introverted, which means subjective - a concern with the self, and E means extroverted, which means objective - a concern with the world.

So, for example, to look at the Thinking function: Ti isn't necessarily knowledge ABOUT the self, but rather the difference between Ti and Te is where the information is sourced from. Basically, the authority on Ti information is the self who is giving the information, whereas the authority on Te information is externally sourced. The Ti user is their own expert source. So, Ti has internalised laws of truth and applies this as if the knowledge came straight from the subject, whereas the Te user has not (consciously) internalised the information, but must deal with it in a purely externalised manner. It could said, perhaps, that the Te user is actually sourcing the collection of information from Ti users, and thus represents their average, given that any two different sources of information are going to conflict. This is of course speculative.

Feeling on the other hand is concerned with belief, and so the truth value of its sentiments are secondary to the main point. (This alignment is only an approximation and so may be out of line with how the Feeling function is described in MBTI.) Rather, given that in this case the truth is malleable, the nature of the belief will reflect the virtues of the one from whom the belief arises.

Speculations are similarly distinct from observation, in that one concerns what has been seen and the other concerns what else may be seen. They are related but distinct.

So, to summarise:

The 4 functions are here being aligned with: speculation, knowledge, belief and observation (N, T, F, S) and I and E is whether the source of the information is subjective or objective.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote