INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th-January-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Question Self typing help, please!

Hello, possibly fellow INTPs! I say this because I'm utterly unsure of my MBTI type. I've heard that the tests are fairly inaccurate, so I decided to try and do a self-typing instead, at which point I realised that I'm a mixture of a number of types.

This is probably going to seem weird, but the two types I identify the most with are ISFP and INTP. Yes, yes, I know. They're almost on opposite ends of the personality spectrum. But hear (or read) me out.

I'm definitely into art. Sketching out my imagination, or doodling random things is one of my favourite pastimes. BUT at the same time, when I'm alone or in a quiet setting, I find myself musing deep concepts, or even my own thoughts. I often contemplate the mysteries of the universe, and such. I often forget where I am as I travel deep into my sea of thoughts. But at other moments, I find myself focused on an unusual bird. (I'm into bird-watching too.)

However, the one part of the INFP type description that appealed to me was the part which described their love for writing, which I also share.

I don't know if this helps, but when I initially heard about the MBTI system(thanks, MatPat!), I really wanted to be an Intuitive (N), but now, my views have changed, and I've realised the uniqueness of Sensors too.

Thanks!
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,735
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

My story of confusion is somewhat similar and has not ended. But i don't want to bomb this thread with a trillion of historical thoughts about myself.

I don't know if i could help you or would confuse you more - it depends on how wrong my current view of things is.

I dare to share at least one of my current hypotheses.

When it comes to writing, INFP would rather write a real story, than philosophy or psychoanalysis. in reading they would enjoy autobiographies and other personality based fiction, such as romance or crime, over science fiction, fantasy, adventure or factual science books. INTP would prefer the latter.

(@all: my current opinion is that i am very much not INFP, which is based on the acute perception that it is my mother who is the INFP in my world of comparative references)

you could hear a "second opinion" (to mbti) by studying socionic profiles, such as those of
http://www.socionics.com/prof/prof.htm
or
http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...ikisocion_home

their descriptions are very different.

IMPORTANT: you must know their introverted types are labeled differently, J and P have opposite meaning.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
JimJambones
Hanging from the cobwebs of my mind
 
JimJambones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 395
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Art, science, humanities, fantasy, sci-fi, horror, anything expansive and exploratory is NTP to the core. The difference between NTP and NFP types is that NFPs seem no need justify their imaginations. NTPs are pretty logical artists and everything we do has either a scientific, philosophic bent, and intellectual in a very reasonable,, logical way. Those are my observations anyways.
JimJambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Okay, hold up. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't INFPs the one really into fantasy and the like? I mean, JRR Tolkein himself was an INFP.

Those links you added were very interesting! If I am to go by the accuracy of socionics, then that would definitely NOT make me an ISFP. I don't really 'put myself out there', per se. And especially with regard to the conversation distance, I get uncomfortable standing too close to anyone. Well, guess I'll have to just keep going.. Thanks a lot though!
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

The only thing is that at some moments I feel like an intuitive, while at other times, I feel like a sensor. There are times where I'll quickly connect something familiar to something else, but on the other hand, I'll notice minute and frankly unnecessary details.

Also, I have an ENTP friend, and I've noticed how he makes very fast and unusual connections between things and thinks differently, while, since I suspect myself of being an INTP, the connections I make are slower, and my thought process is more of a slow, thinking, musing type. Is this true for all INTPs? Do ENTPs exercise their Ni more than INTPs exercise their Ne because they are dominant and auxiliary functions respectively?

Last edited by The Flycatcher; 6th-January-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
JimJambones
Hanging from the cobwebs of my mind
 
JimJambones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 395
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Okay, hold up. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't INFPs the one really into fantasy and the like? I mean, JRR Tolkein himself was an INFP.

Those links you added were very interesting! If I am to go by the accuracy of socionics, then that would definitely NOT make me an ISFP. I don't really 'put myself out there', per se. And especially with regard to the conversation distance, I get uncomfortable standing too close to anyone. Well, guess I'll have to just keep going.. Thanks a lot though!
I would say it is more accurate to say intuitives in general are more likely to enjoy fantasy than sensors. With that said, I think NTs tend more toward sci-fi and NFs toward medieval romanticizing and other fluffernutters, but I think it depends on the individual and their interests and their motivations for watching/reading.

I think NTs can enjoy Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings too! There is more a suspension of reason though, like okay this is fantasy, lets enjoy even though this could never happen. Magic in not real to an NT, but NF fluff romanticizes magic and wishes it were true or something. Harry Potter has a lot of that, like "Lets be magical and imaginative. Fairies are real if you just believe!!!!!" and all that crap.
JimJambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Yeah.. I'm a HUGE fan of fantasy. Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, David Gemmell, I love all of it!

Also, since you're an NT, could you tell me this? Have you ever felt like a sensor? Perhaps you had observed an inconspicuous detail somewhere?
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
JimJambones
Hanging from the cobwebs of my mind
 
JimJambones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 395
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Yeah.. I'm a HUGE fan of fantasy. Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, David Gemmell, I love all of it!

Also, since you're an NT, could you tell me this? Have you ever felt like a sensor? Perhaps you had observed an inconspicuous detail somewhere?
Yup. I think it's just the way type is framed within MBTI. Intuitives use sensing, it is just underutilized, mostly because your mind is on more abstract, conceptual things. Sure you can have fixations or abilities that require Si or Se. They may be hobbies or a job that require it, or needed for relationships. I need some sort of sensory activity and enjoy it to some extent, I just get really, really bored over time. Besides, none of us can obtain knowledge about the world without observation and sensory processing anyways.
JimJambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
JimJambones
Hanging from the cobwebs of my mind
 
JimJambones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 395
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

I often can't see things that are right in front of me if that says anything about my sensory processing abilities
JimJambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
zerkalo
bali maŠk. bali, bali, bali, bali
 
zerkalo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: the Purgatory
Posts: 1,422
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
but aren't INFPs the one really into fantasy and the like?
nope
thats what the stereotype says
but i dont find it to be true, i think what nanook said was pretty spot on. Fi prioritizes character depth and closure above everything else. it just so happens that this type of thing is not so common in fantasy or science fiction as their focus tends on flow of events or setting the mood
__________________
Have read little and understood less.
zerkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

You seem to be a Ti user. You have traits that I would associate with TPs and FJs. I'm still not certain about your perceiving functions/letters.
Could you describe something for me? Your desk maybe, or the concept of happiness, or how your thought process works. Anything will do. The more the merrier.
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-January-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,166
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Idk if it's quite your reasoning, but being into art and the likes doesn't make you ISFP or similar to ISFP. Yeah there is a degree of emotional expression in much of art, and certain forms of art can be quite physical, but there's going to be plenty of INTPs into art.

I'm not really getting Fi vibes from what you've said so far.

Quote:
I don't know if this helps, but when I initially heard about the MBTI system(thanks, MatPat!), I really wanted to be an Intuitive (N), but now, my views have changed, and I've realised the uniqueness of Sensors too.
Here you're speaking of something concrete - something that happened - but it is something which happened subjectively, "I really wanted to...", "my views...", which makes me think Si.

To contrast I might say something like "initially I typed as an intuitive, but then changed to sensor, and now I'm unsure" - see how it's about me (the subject) but is objective, in that it's "I did..." such and such.

Quote:
Also, I have an ENTP friend, and I've noticed how he makes very fast and unusual connections between things and thinks differently, while, since I suspect myself of being an INTP, the connections I make are slower, and my thought process is more of a slow, thinking, musing type. Is this true for all INTPs? Do ENTPs exercise their Ni more than INTPs exercise their Ne because they are dominant and auxiliary functions respectively?
Here you yourself are making connections - noting patterns. The things you're observing aren't really things you can physically observe, but rather are patterns that form over time from a number of observations, and is objective in nature "he tends to do this and this, and I tend to do this", plus you've made some inquiries suggesting curiousity. This makes me think this paragraph shows Ne.

Furthermore, the way in which you're drawing comparisons between yourself and another strikes me as Si+Fe. Probably your Ti is all through your posts, but I've become so accustomed to it on this forum that it doesn't stand out as much. Probably the intellectual manner in which you draw the comparison suggests that the Si+Fe aspect is lower down.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 12:30 AM   #13
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,775
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
My story of confusion is somewhat similar and has not ended. But i don't want to bomb this thread with a trillion of historical thoughts about myself.

I don't know if i could help you or would confuse you more - it depends on how wrong my current view of things is.

I dare to share at least one of my current hypotheses.

When it comes to writing, INFP would rather write a real story, than philosophy or psychoanalysis. in reading they would enjoy autobiographies and other personality based fiction, such as romance or crime, over science fiction, fantasy, adventure or factual science books. INTP would prefer the latter.

(@all: my current opinion is that i am very much not INFP, which is based on the acute perception that it is my mother who is the INFP in my world of comparative references)

you could hear a "second opinion" (to mbti) by studying socionic profiles, such as those of
http://www.socionics.com/prof/prof.htm
or
http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...ikisocion_home

their descriptions are very different.

IMPORTANT: you must know their introverted types are labeled differently, J and P have opposite meaning.
I think you are going through something that is weighing on your psyche from this post you made. Any truth in that?
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,166
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
@all: my current opinion is that i am very much not INFP
For what it's worth, your display pic (I assume it's you) reminds me of how I (INFJ) look when I'm in a more INFP-ish mood, e.g. when with my INFP friend.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: you must know their introverted types are labeled differently, J and P have opposite meaning.
To elaborate: it is because MBTI judges J vs P based on how you interact with the external world, whereas socionics looks at your primary mode of cognition whether it is externally based or not.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 03:21 AM   #15
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

In response to Ucenna's query, I would definitely consider myself a perceiving type. My desk is a mess of random stuff which I never put in their proper places. The only thing I even try to arrange regularly is an action figure of Yoda which falls occasionally. As for schedules and timetables, I can't make them, and even if I manage to do that, I would never stick to them.
Artsu Tharaz, thanks for the extremely detailed Analysis. You seem to be an NT type, for sure! If your analysis is correct, then I am predominantly a Ti user. However, I wouldn't consider myself only a thinking type. I do feel emotional, but at the same time, not to the extent to which I've read INFPs or ISFPs feel emotional. Not nearly that much. Could that be a case of a slightly developed Fe?
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 04:36 AM   #16
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,166
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Artsu Tharaz, thanks for the extremely detailed Analysis. You seem to be an NT type, for sure! If your analysis is correct, then I am predominantly a Ti user. However, I wouldn't consider myself only a thinking type. I do feel emotional, but at the same time, not to the extent to which I've read INFPs or ISFPs feel emotional. Not nearly that much. Could that be a case of a slightly developed Fe?
No worries. Actually, I'm an INFJ :P But I think I probably use more Ti than Fe when I'm on this forum (and quite low Fe in general relative to other Fe types, since I'm very introverted)

Feeling isn't just about emotion; everyone can be emotional, and Feeling is a broader class of phenomena. It's like... basing decisions off of the way something "feels", and Feeling types also tend to be very people focused. Fi is more focused on the self as a person, and Fe is more focused on others. So, for example, by drawing my attention towards you and helping you out by analysing your personality, I am showing Fe motivation.

I wouldn't say your emotionality is due to Fe. Fe would be for example showing expressions of warmth towards others. I have an INTP friend who usually seems somewhat cold to others, but occassionally will light up a bit and pay someone a compliment and express feelings of friendship. So for example, when you said "Artsu Tharaz, thanks for the extremely detailed Analysis. You seem to be an NT type, for sure!" this would be an example of Fe.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 06:37 AM   #17
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Firstly, there a two core trains of thought:
Dichotomies:
I v E
S v N
F v T
J v N

Functions:
Fe, Te, Ti, Fi, Ne, Se, Ni, Si
Etc

They're mutually exclusive. I prefer functions personally, they're more based on theory. I like theory.

Also, while reading the functions, keep in mind everyone uses both to an extent. Which do you think you use more of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Here you're speaking of something concrete - something that happened - but it is something which happened subjectively, "I really wanted to...", "my views...", which makes me think Si.

To contrast I might say something like "initially I typed as an intuitive, but then changed to sensor, and now I'm unsure" - see how it's about me (the subject) but is objective, in that it's "I did..." such and such.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Here you yourself are making connections - noting patterns. The things you're observing aren't really things you can physically observe, but rather are patterns that form over time from a number of observations, and is objective in nature "he tends to do this and this, and I tend to do this", plus you've made some inquiries suggesting curiousity. This makes me think this paragraph shows Ne.

Furthermore, the way in which you're drawing comparisons between yourself and another strikes me as Si+Fe.
I don't know about this. I was actually leaning towards Se-Ni myself.
Se and Ne are both external functions they take in information and give it to Ni and Si respectively for processing.


Se takes in the physical world, Ni finds and remembers the patterns.

Ne takes in an impression* of the world, Si finds the objects and associates that impression with them.

*Not a Ne user, cannot compute. Basically it takes in it's response to the world and compiles it into an impression. It takes in things like happiness or disappointment and compiles it into an impression.


Which would you say sounds more like you, @The Flycatcher?

@Artsu Tharaz, I still can't decide. I'm leaning towards Pe before Pi, but it could really go either way with Se or Ne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
In response to Ucenna's query, I would definitely consider myself a perceiving type. My desk is a mess of random stuff which I never put in their proper places. The only thing I even try to arrange regularly is an action figure of Yoda which falls occasionally. As for schedules and timetables, I can't make them, and even if I manage to do that, I would never stick to them.
I'm leaning towards aux Pe. But before settling on that, want to analyze something else? Anything. Dissect whatever you feel like. This word, that thought, that car down the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Artsu Tharaz, thanks for the extremely detailed Analysis. You seem to be an NT type, for sure! If your analysis is correct, then I am predominantly a Ti user. However, I wouldn't consider myself only a thinking type. I do feel emotional, but at the same time, not to the extent to which I've read INFPs or ISFPs feel emotional. Not nearly that much. Could that be a case of a slightly developed Fe?
I'd say yes. Fi and Fe are very subtle distinct. The easier way I can think of describing it is having your heart on the inside rather than the outside. I'm a Fe aux, and being around someone else who is crying makes me want to cry for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
No worries. Actually, I'm an INFJ :P But I think I probably use more Ti than Fe when I'm on this forum (and quite low Fe in general relative to other Fe types, since I'm very introverted)
I've noticed this phenomena too! Seems that when I'm introverting I feel more like a Ti. But toss me in a crowd... Fe dives forward.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Feeling isn't just about emotion; everyone can be emotional, and Feeling is a broader class of phenomena. It's like... basing decisions off of the way something "feels", and Feeling types also tend to be very people focused. Fi is more focused on the self as a person, and Fe is more focused on others. So, for example, by drawing my attention towards you and helping you out by analysing your personality, I am showing Fe motivation.

I wouldn't say your emotionality is due to Fe. Fe would be for example showing expressions of warmth towards others. I have an INTP friend who usually seems somewhat cold to others, but occassionally will light up a bit and pay someone a compliment and express feelings of friendship. So for example, when you said "Artsu Tharaz, thanks for the extremely detailed Analysis. You seem to be an NT type, for sure!" this would be an example of Fe.
Well put. (Fe surfaces)

(Fe dives below the surface)
I really can't decide. I'm torn between ISTP and INTP.
You said your friend was an ENTP and that he thinks differentish than you. How differently would you say?
Also you're a LOTRs fan? I love it. "Ucenna" is actually an elvish word. What's your favorite thing about it? Actually, I don't think I can point to one thing myself. New question: What do you like about it?
For me, it's a masterpiece. There's so much beauty. And the characters. Everyone tries so hard to do the right thing. Except For do at the end, but who can blame him? Gollum. I wanted him to be redeemed so badly. And he almost was...
*drifts off into fantasy*
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 07:20 AM   #18
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

@Ucenna, well, you wanted me to analyze something... , this isn't exactly much of an analysis, but yesterday, this guy in class pointed out that another guy (my ENTP friend) writes his zeroes clockwise, and observed how weird it was. Well, when I tried it, I realised that that's how I've been doing it too for years, without ever knowing it! We then asked a few other people to write their zeroes, and they all wrote it counter-clockwise. Well, this got me thinking. I did some research, and figured out that apparently lefties predominantly write their zeroes clockwise, while right-handed people go counter-clockwise. I'm right-handed, but somehow, this made sense. I've always been told by people that when I perform certain activities, it's (unconsciously) with my left hand. For example, dealing cards. Also, I would consider myself fairly dexterous, as I'm good at sketching. And strangely enough, the ENTP guy is good with his hands too! He's really good at Origami and working with paper in general.
Also, speaking of my friend, I would consider our thinking the same in many aspects. For example, we both have long discussions on EXTREMELY silly topics. For instance, we once wondered what it would be like if our Chemistry teacher's thoughts were projected out, as though in a movie.
Where we differ.. well, he really puts his thoughts out there. Whatever he thinks of, he just says it. Be it insulting someone, thinking of a witty retort, whatever. Sometimes, his mind works a little differently. It's hard to explain unless it's been witnessed. I feel like his mind just works faster in general, but on the flip side, he doesn't really consider things properly, which might explain why he makes several careless errors in math, or stupid spelling mistakes in any subject, even if he knew how to solve the problem or spell the word, respectively. On the other hand, I have to be sure of what I thought of before projecting it, either in speech or on paper. This leads to me sometimes wasting time in tests, and later regretting it.
As for ISTP, I've read the profiles, as I've considered it multiple times, but I've never thought of myself as so stoic or practical. I've identified with quite a few INTP characteristics, though not all, the most relatable one being that there are thoughts clearly formed in my head, but as I say them, they come out, well, deformed, so to speak.
LOTR.. I've only read the series once, but it was enough for me to fall in love with it. What I like about it.. just the entire fantasy atmosphere. I always thought of it as an escape for me. I would come back home after a bad day, and just wait to escape into that world. It was so comforting, yet magical.. I find it hard to explain what I feel. And it's the same for me for all fantasy series too! Also, as a side note, my favourite character in LOTR was Sam, because, despite his extreme harshness towards Gollum, he was the unsung hero of it all. He fought off Shelob (what an amazing moment), and even carried Frodo up Mount Doom! What can I say, I was extremely depressed at the ending of the series. Well, at least I still have The Silmarillion to read!
Well, that turned out longer than I expected..
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
@Ucenna, well, you wanted me to analyze something... , this isn't exactly much of an analysis, but yesterday, this guy in class pointed out that another guy (my ENTP friend) writes his zeroes clockwise, and observed how weird it was. Well, when I tried it, I realised that that's how I've been doing it too for years, without ever knowing it! We then asked a few other people to write their zeroes, and they all wrote it counter-clockwise. Well, this got me thinking. I did some research, and figured out that apparently lefties predominantly write their zeroes clockwise, while right-handed people go counter-clockwise. I'm right-handed, but somehow, this made sense. I've always been told by people that when I perform certain activities, it's (unconsciously) with my left hand. For example, dealing cards. Also, I would consider myself fairly dexterous, as I'm good at sketching. And strangely enough, the ENTP guy is good with his hands too! He's really good at Origami and working with paper in general.
Also, speaking of my friend, I would consider our thinking the same in many aspects. For example, we both have long discussions on EXTREMELY silly topics. For instance, we once wondered what it would be like if our Chemistry teacher's thoughts were projected out, as though in a movie.
Where we differ.. well, he really puts his thoughts out there. Whatever he thinks of, he just says it. Be it insulting someone, thinking of a witty retort, whatever. Sometimes, his mind works a little differently. It's hard to explain unless it's been witnessed. I feel like his mind just works faster in general, but on the flip side, he doesn't really consider things properly, which might explain why he makes several careless errors in math, or stupid spelling mistakes in any subject, even if he knew how to solve the problem or spell the word, respectively. On the other hand, I have to be sure of what I thought of before projecting it, either in speech or on paper. This leads to me sometimes wasting time in tests, and later regretting it.
As for ISTP, I've read the profiles, as I've considered it multiple times, but I've never thought of myself as so stoic or practical. I've identified with quite a few INTP characteristics, though not all, the most relatable one being that there are thoughts clearly formed in my head, but as I say them, they come out, well, deformed, so to speak.
LOTR.. I've only read the series once, but it was enough for me to fall in love with it. What I like about it.. just the entire fantasy atmosphere. I always thought of it as an escape for me. I would come back home after a bad day, and just wait to escape into that world. It was so comforting, yet magical.. I find it hard to explain what I feel. And it's the same for me for all fantasy series too! Also, as a side note, my favourite character in LOTR was Sam, because, despite his extreme harshness towards Gollum, he was the unsung hero of it all. He fought off Shelob (what an amazing moment), and even carried Frodo up Mount Doom! What can I say, I was extremely depressed at the ending of the series. Well, at least I still have The Silmarillion to read!
Well, that turned out longer than I expected..
What you gave was perfect! Exactly what I needed.
I'm gonna have to agree with Artsu, you're definitely a Ne-Si user. Ti is also a given. I'm gonna have to agree on INTP. I'm fairly confident you're a Ti dom; but if you're still uncertain iSFJ is also an unlikely option. You seem certain of your introversion, but if you're not ENTP and ESFJ are also options. Still, I'm almost positive you're an INTP.

What descriptions do you use. Different sites are better than others. I'd personally recommend Type in Mind and Personality Junkie. Here's some links.
http://www.typeinmind.com/tine/
http://personalityjunkie.com/the-intp/

Ti is indicated in your writing style. You seem to take some care in your wording to maintain logical consistency.

Ne-Si (they're almost inseparable in my mind) is indicated by a preference for facts and experiences. You tend to use semi conceptual wording on occasion, which is what first made me think you were Se-Ni, but your thoughts appear to be grounded in experience. You focus more on the details. The facts. What you've seen and felt and noticed. Also your description of Sam is a huge indicator of Ne-Si. (Sam is amazing, I love Sam. He always tries his hardest to follow his heart. I don't care what everyone says, he's a hero. Also, Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel hold a special place in my heart. I was really bummed that neither of them appeared in the movies. Bombadil is simultaneously quirky and down to earth. And Glorfindel is do mystical. Also he's said to have felled a Balrog in the Silmarillion. He sacrificed his human body to do it(elves reincarnate(parentheses inside parentheses parentheses, how cool is that?!). He pulled a Gandalf before it was cool.)

Fe:
Just stuff you've said. Your wording. And a general sensitivity. You seem to have relatively strong feelings about it. If you think it's stronger than we're giving credit for I'd definitely look at ISFJ. They have relatively strong Tis and yours could easily be well developed(like my or Artsu's is). Conversely, you could be an INTP with a well developed Fe.
My biggest problem with ISFJ is that they're Si is the dominant function. Si users tend to be better at scheduling and organizing and everything. They have a tendency to develop rituals more easily. Almost automatically even.

As for LOTR; the Silmarillion is great, but it reads like a history book. If you're looking for something easier on the ears I'd try "Children of Huron" or "Lays of Beleraind". Both take place in the same universe and are beautiful, beautiful stories. Of note, the later is a series of poems which I have been told are considered "epics".
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-January-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Wow.. thanks! I guess I am an INTP, then. I did make sure to read through ISFJ (my mom is ISFJ and I was curious to see how the type fit her), and I didn't see much of myself reflected in it. The J part in particular was what threw me off. When I was going through personality types earlier, I ruled out all Js and Es, because I am almost completely sure of my introversion and Perceiving nature.
Earlier, I was unsure of my 'INTPness', because on the forums online, all of them were always behaving in the stereotypical INTP manner, discussing astrophysics and the like. I realise now that every one is, indeed, different, me included. It also struck me later on, that, probably, majority of the INTPs on the threads are the ones exhibiting the characteristics INTPs are depicted as having (if that makes any sense). Perhaps the other 'different' INTPs just aren't on the forums or don't know that they're INTPs.

Also, what are the odds? Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil are two of my favourite characters too! Tom was just such a mysterious yet amusing character, he was hard to ignore.

Well, that was quite the journey! Thanks a lot, all of you on this thread, and particularly Ucenna, for sharing my love of LOTR, and also, of course, for helping me find myself.

Last edited by The Flycatcher; 7th-January-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 07:38 AM   #21
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Wow.. thanks! I guess I am an INTP, then. I did make sure to read through ISFJ (my mom is ISFJ and I was curious to see how the type fit her), and I didn't see much of myself reflected in it. The J part in particular was what threw me off. When I was going through personality types earlier, I ruled out all Js and Es, because I am almost completely sure of my introversion and Perceiving nature.
Earlier, I was unsure of my 'INTPness', because on the forums online, all of them were always behaving in the stereotypical INTP manner, discussing astrophysics and the like. I realise now that every one is, indeed, different, me included. It also struck me later on, that, probably, majority of the INTPs on the threads are the ones exhibiting the characteristics INTPs are depicted as having (if that makes any sense). Perhaps the other 'different' INTPs just aren't on the forums or don't know that they're INTPs.
I think the J/P distinction is easily the most confusing. Especially because certain J types such as myself don't actually have a strong J side. I actually spent 3 years mistyping myself as an INFP for this very reason.

I think your right. It seems that each type's online community tends to draw a certain stereotype. If I see a lot of astrophysics on a forum and I'm into aatrophysics, I'm more likely to join.


Also, what are the odds? Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil are two of my favourite characters too! Tom was just such a mysterious yet amusing character, he was hard to ignore.

Have you ever looked at the INFJ description perchance? I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Well, that was quite the journey! Thanks a lot, all of you on this thread, and particularly Ucenna, for sharing my love of LOTR, and also, of course, for helping me find myself.
:3
Always happy to meet a fellow hobbit!
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 10:13 AM   #22
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

I did read up on the INFJ personality, as you suggested. In fact, the website that you suggested, 'Type in Mind', has a description of the INFJ that is different from the ones you find elsewhere. The more I read through it, the more I felt like I could relate. Now I'm unsure again, although, going by the fact that the two types I relate the most to are both IN types, the question of me being an Intuitive or Sensor has been settled. What I'm confused about, however, is the J/P dilemma. I would definitely consider myself an improviser rather than a meticulous planner, but somehow I found myself relating to the INFJ type. How? Even the cognitive functions stacks between INFP and INFJ are fairly different. So.. I'll need some experienced advice here.
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-January-2017, 12:45 AM   #23
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
I did read up on the INFJ personality, as you suggested. In fact, the website that you suggested, 'Type in Mind', has a description of the INFJ that is different from the ones you find elsewhere. The more I read through it, the more I felt like I could relate. Now I'm unsure again, although, going by the fact that the two types I relate the most to are both IN types, the question of me being an Intuitive or Sensor has been settled. What I'm confused about, however, is the J/P dilemma. I would definitely consider myself an improviser rather than a meticulous planner, but somehow I found myself relating to the INFJ type. How? Even the cognitive functions stacks between INFP and INFJ are fairly different. So.. I'll need some experienced advice here.
This'll be fun. :P
I wasn't sure. You do display some Ne-Si characteristics that made me lean towards that side. The thing is, for what ever reason, Se-Ni users tend to tone there Ni side down. We live in a Si world, so it's easier to express things that way.
Another thing that stuck out to me is your Fe use. It seems to be fairly strong. Both your Ti and Fe stick out to an extent.
I'll have to think about it some more. Later tonight I'll work on a description of the functions that should help you decide.

As far as J vs P, since we're using functions we don't need to worry about their individual descriptions. For our purposes, they only serve to indicate which functions you use. Here's a quick overview of how you can find the functions based on the MBTI type:
N/S means one of your first 2 functions is either a N function or an S function respectively. (I'm an INFJ, one of my first two functions is an N function)
F/T same as above except for F and T. (I'm an INFJ, the other of the first two functions is an F function)
J/P tells me which of my top two functions is extroverted, either J(F/T) or P(N/S). Which ever one isn't extroverted, is then introverted. For an xNFJ that would mean that the top 2 functions are Fe and Ni in a nonspecific order.
I/E just tells me if my introverted or extroverted function is stronger, so that I can order them. For me it would be Ni-Fe
After this the functions sort of domino down. It's a predictable order, but it's hard to explain the rules behind it. For me it's Ni-Fe-Ti-Se

It's a rather confusing system. The important thing to note is that since we're using functions for typing we can understand the MBTI letter code as a well to figure out someone's functional stack, rather than as a system of characteristics.

Of note, some people dislike functions. For them, each letter represents 2 sides of a scale. Either approach works. I prefer functions because they represent a theory that I can use to better understand MBTI. dichotomies on their own are more data driven.

As fas as planning ahead goes, I'd typically associate that with strong Si or Te use. Si likes to develop rituals and is more likely to follow a specific process. Te aims towards meaningful and successful action, as such they're more likely to form a plan to get what they want.

introverted judging functions are more aimed at making personal decisions that don't necessarily imply action. Fi decides what it values, Ti decides what it thinks makes logical sense.

introverted perceiving functions are more aimed at analysing/reflecting on incoming information. To this end they are paired with extroverted perceiving functions so as to take in information. Si likes to figure out it's impressions of information. Ni likes to figure out how information came to be.

The above is all a generalization. I'll go more indepth on functions later tonight.

In the meantime have a random quiz that will hopefully give me(and you) a better perspective on what your type actually is.


Feel free to answer the following questions however you like. I don't mind reading lots of text. If you feel I haven't provided enough information or have questions of your own, just ask. Also, don't feel obliged to answer all the questions if you don't want to. Honestly, you can answer none of them if you so choose. I won't mind. I'll provide my descriptions tonight anyways, and that might be sufficent for you.


How would a fight between Wolverine and Hulk go? Who would win? Why?


What is your opinion of statistics?


Imagine a fork. Imagine your eye. Imagine stabbing a fork into your eye. Thoughts, feelings, opinions? (I'm sorry, that was mean. It hurt to write it, I can only imagine it hurts to read it)


Thoughts on your car/vehicle of transportation?


You see something move down the road, what is it?


Was the above question a trap?


Do you have a plan for tomorrow?


What do you think your answer to the previous question is going to make me think?


Were you reluctant to answer the question before the last question with a one word answer?


What do you think of this quiz?
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-January-2017, 07:36 AM   #24
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Sorry if the quiz is confusing. I feel satisfied with your judging function, you seem to clearly use Ti and Fe. The quiz's purpose therefore, was to further exhibit your perception on things and give a hint towards your perceiving functions.

My description on Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe is going to be relatively light. They seem distinct to me, so there's not much question in my mind as to what they are. I can go more indepth if you'd like though. Also, my understanding of them is less than my understand of perceiving functions.

Ti general strives for logical consistency. Things should be logical at there core.

Te conversely is oriented towards logical application. What sort of effect can logic be used to cause in the real world. If something works, it doesn't matter so much if it's logically consistent.

Fi is about emotional consistency. Emotions should be consistent at their core. You could think of it as a personal value system. Though it's of note that all judging functions naturally help build a value system on their own.

Fe is about outward emotions. In general it's characteristic of taking the emotionalness of a thing inside itself. Predominantly, it focuses on people. But animals, writing, words, music, even atmosphere can seem to have an emotional expression to it. Fe tends to absorb it. Fe is often associated with harmony. In my opinion this is less a direct relationship between harmony and Fe so much as it is a biproduct of Fe's nature. Fe experiences outside emotions. Disharmonious emotions can be unenjoyable to experience. Therefore, harmonious emotions tend to be more cultivated.
But that's just a theory.

You may notice the feeling descriptions are longer. There's a good reason for this: I don't have a super sold grapple on feeling.

Onto perceiving functions

Introverted perceiving(Pi) functions are focused on perceiving data after it has been taken in. Extroverted perceiving(Pe) functions gather in all the data, Pi is what actually inspects it.

Si tends to look at the data as one whole unit. Ne takes in the feelings, thoughts, details, specifics, patterns, potentialities; in short, the metaphysical data. Si sort of collapses all that into an idea of what the object is. Have you ever read "The Giving Tree"? It's a great book. Si looking at the tree, seesand focuses on all the impressions of the tree that have been formed throughout reading the book. Looking at the carving of the heart might trigger a memory of the girl and boy it's associated with. Looking at the chips where the saw cut through the tree might trigger a memory of the tree falling down, or of it's wood being carved into a canoe.
Alternatively, looking at a person's behaviours might trigger memories of someone in the past.
My ENFP friend doesn't like watching sad movies because it reminds her of all the sad things she's experienced in relation to the characters.
Si assoicates things with the context their in. Ni can be thought to as well, but for Si the link is intrinsic. The context and the object are almost inseparable.

Ni takes a different approach. Have you ever heard of Plato's theory of Forms? It bears marked similarities to Ni itself (Plato was an INFJ, actually). Basically, it theorizes that there's a form behind everything. A sort of idea as to what it is. A table for example, has an aspect of "table-iness". "Table-iness" would be it's form. What distinguishes a table from other objects.
In general, Ni tries to strip away as much of the context from an object as it can.
Imagine the first time you see a table. It's a bit scuffed up. When you see the table, you might not recognize the scuffs as an independent element. For you this table represents the essence of table-iness. Later on, you see a brand new table with no scuffs. Both are tables, but one has scuffs and one doesn't. So you refine your idea of the essence of a table. The essence of a table has all the shared characteristics of all the tables you've ever seen. In general, it's an object that usually has 4 legs, and is designed to offer a level above ground level for things to be set on.
Adjectives would be understood by a Ni as a combination of essences. A scuffed oak table combines the essences of scratchiness oakwoodness and table-iness, for example.
Ni is also good at understanding how essences work together to create unique effects. An explosive material which is lit by fire tends to explode. Fire when put into contact with water tends to go out.
In this way, Ni has a tendency to be very predictive. Where Si maps past events to the present to understand the future and past of the present; Ni creates a new map based off of ideas/patterns/connections it's observed and uses that to understand the future and past of the object.

Sorry, didn't really touch on Se. Ne takes in metaphysical data for Si so as to create impression. Se takes in physical data for Ni so as to be deconstructed into essences.

I hope that helps! If you need more or have questions, I'd be happy to oblige!

Edit: Ti likes to quantify things, which is similar to Ni's search for essence. There is a difference though. Ti quantifies things via logical inference. Ni finds the essence of the object by contrasting all known examples of the object and isolating factors until only the shared characteristics remain. Or perhaps more accurately, all the unsimilar characteristics are removed.
For Ni, I'd know a table when I see it. But I don't know if I could define it.
For Ti, this is the definition of a table: ~snip~
Ni and Ti seem to meld together well. Ti helps to better understand what Ni picks up on. But I am an INFJ, so I'm probably biased.
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-January-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Okay here goes.. answers to the quiz:

A fight between the Hulk and Wolverine- The Wolverine could win, because of his regenerative powers. The Hulk technically has no limit to his power. It is proportionate to his anger level. So, if the Wolverine manages to keep the Hulk's anger level at a relatively low level, he should be able to land a finishing blow. Also of note is the level of his regenerative powers. In a certain issue (I'm unsure which one; I learnt of this through a Film Theory. Once again, thanks, Matpat!), he regenerates completely from a speck of blood to which he was reduced. In addition, Wolverine has destroyed the Hulk in Old Man Logan after, and this may be disturbing, he is eaten but not completely digested by the Hulk. He rips out of the Hulk's torso, killing him almost instantly.

Onto the next one!
Statistics... well, it is a very mathematical science, in my opinion, rather than a scientific form of mathematics. It is very useful in studying large scale systems, as it allows for extrapolation of data from, perhaps, a smaller scale. On the other hand, statistics will never be perfectly accurate, as it largely involves taking averages and assumptions, many of them.

Next!
Stabbing a fork into my eye.. okay, so first, rather than pain, it is a sense of extreme discomfort and uneasiness which strikes me. Next, and once again, this may be disturbing, I receive a vague mental image of a fork stabbing through an eye. And in this particular case, I just remembered a scene from Bleach, a Manga, which is vaguely reminiscent of this, wherein a villain makes a ring materialise in another character's eye, not completely in, but partially, rather like a nose ring or ear ring, thus blinding the character.

My car is very spacious. It is not exactly aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but it is very comfortable on the inside. My car has travelled far from home very often. Even though it was bought second hand, it certainly feels like it's been our car from the very beginning. Sorry, I'm not too enthusiastic about describing my car. The previous questions were more fun to answer, you understand.

First of all, I feel the need to say this. When I read the question, the instant imagery I received was of me driving alone at night on a dark road. It's strange, but somehow, even though the question did not mention any specifications, this was what I saw. I saw a black shape moving quickly.

The previous question certainly could have been a trap. Firstly, it is vastly different from the previous question in that the previous ones were asking me what I thought of something... things along those lines. This, however, starts off by declaring a fact, and asking me what it is, as though the questioner knows the answer and is testing me. It seems a bit suspicious. Although that could also be because of the dark setting which I imagine. Also, this seems like the sort of question which might be asked in order to distract me, while they perhaps do something suspicious.

I do have a vague idea of what I'm going to do tomorrow, but I wouldn't call it a 'plan'. The plan will be fully formulated tomorrow, probably when I start doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I think that the previous answer is going to make you think that I'm a relatively easygoing person who does not believe in planning ahead, and rather believes in improvisation.

Now, I thought about this question for a while, and I realised that it could be interpreted two ways. By 'last question', you could mean the last question in the quiz, in which case the question would be this one which I'm answering, and that would be a strange little loop. BUT, you use the word 'were', which means you're assuming that I've answered the question in question already. Which means 'last' must be taken to mean 'previous'. So, my answer would be, yes, I was reluctant to answer that question with one word, as it was not an absolute answer that I had in mind.

The quiz started off fairly normally. But it got strange when it asked me what I saw. Perhaps even a little eerie (Don't ask me why.) So, all in all, I'm expecting some interesting analysis from this quiz.

Woah.. I've wasted a lot of time on this. I'll get back to you in some time on your explanation of the functions. Thanks!
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-January-2017, 10:09 PM   #26
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Okay here goes.. answers to the quiz:
Thanks! Ultimately, you know yourself better than I. I'll right what each answer might have indicated to me, but it's your job to figure out if that matches the reality of yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
A fight between the Hulk and Wolverine- The Wolverine could win, because of his regenerative powers. The Hulk technically has no limit to his power. It is proportionate to his anger level. So, if the Wolverine manages to keep the Hulk's anger level at a relatively low level, he should be able to land a finishing blow. Also of note is the level of his regenerative powers. In a certain issue (I'm unsure which one; I learnt of this through a Film Theory. Once again, thanks, Matpat!), he regenerates completely from a speck of blood to which he was reduced. In addition, Wolverine has destroyed the Hulk in Old Man Logan after, and this may be disturbing, he is eaten but not completely digested by the Hulk. He rips out of the Hulk's torso, killing him almost instantly.
Ne's are more outside of the box thinkers, Ni's are more inside the box. For me I tend to be very good at simulating things. I can put a bunch of things inside a box and imagine how they're going to interact. Ni may be inside the box, but Ni has utmost control of the contents of the box. Ne doms conversely, seem to pull ideas that have little to no relation to the contents of the box.
Also, I didn't realize Wolverine's healing factor was so overpowered. Yikes. I think, given even footing, Wolverine wins. Ultimately, given the overwhelming strength of both characters, it would likely boil down to wit. Wolverine does a good job at thinking on his feet.
Of note; Wolverine, at least in the cinematic universe, is a good example of an ISTP. I always found his thinking somewhat relatable, perhaps because we share the same functions.
As for your answer. I feel that it exhibits Ni more than Si. Your sentences are more focused on illustrating the aspects and characteristics of each character's abilities. The extent to which Wolverine regenerates. However, that could also be a characteristic of Ti.

Sorry, wall of text incoming.

If I were to use a word to describe Ne-Si's application in the real world, I'd probably go with Experience. This is what worked well in the past. In general, they're probably better at repeating tasks the same way or assimulating a particular process or method of doing things.

Conversely, for Se-Ni, the word I might use is Instinct. Se is more concerned with the real world how it is in the moment. Ni is more focused on the past and how it reflects certain patterns, relationships, and essences. Ni is more about improving the process of figuring things out on the fly, than it is with improving the process of a particular action.
In my personal experience, I rarely do things in a consistent fashion. I respond to things in the moment, by quickly consider how everything around me is interacting and what direction it's heading towards. As a Ni dom, I can get caught up in consideration and lose myself in the present moment. I tend to zone out if I'm not making a conscious effort to focus. Ni's seem future oriented because, by their nature, they predict(right or wrong) how things are going to pan out. If they don't like the way their predictions are heading, they need to introduce new variables to the system to alter it's course. For me, I frequently throw myself into a system new or old, and let my instincts guide me to the destination I want to head towards Usually I prefer to make a Ti deep analysis first, but I rarely have that luxury.
As a Ni dom, I spend more time predict outcomes and seeing how things are going to pan out, than I do actually interacting.
Wolverine, as a Se aux, spends more time interacting and less time predicting.

Se-Ni tends to exhibit overconfidence, because they think they can quickly adapt to the situation at hand.
Ne-Si tends to exhibit overpreparedness, because there are so many unknown things that could happen.
Se-Ni sees the box and how it works.
Ne(particularly)-Si thinks of all the unexpected things that could come from outside the box and ruin everything.

It's funny that you mentioned MatPat. I'm a big fan. I haven't seen much of his stuff since recently, but I liked his game theories. I'd say he's a strong Ni user. Ne users are good at finding a lot of random out of the box ideas, Ni's are good at figuring out how they work. In theory, a Ni-Ti user can justify anything. Fe and Se act as a good ground. Ni interprets reality and in so doing predicts the future, Fe/Se finds out if the predictions are accurate. If they aren't, than Ni's interpretation is wrong in some respect, and is adjusted accordingly.
Ni is often described as perspectives. Because they see things from many different angles. Ni can easily create new angles and viewports of which to understand things.


Predict the pattern:
?,3,?,?,?,?
?,3,5,?,?,?
?,3,5,7,?,?
Spoiler:

I'm guessing that your prediction is:
1,3,5,7,9,11
Makes the most sense given the facts. However, it's wrong.
Given the fact that your guess is wrong, can you find an alternate perspective to solve the pattern?
Being able to doesn't imply Ni or Si dom-ness. But it does provide some window as to how I figure things out.
Honestly, I don't know if I'd solve it myself. I'm stubborn, so I'd likely force myself to think about it until I figured it out.
There's a hint in the next spoiler tag, and an answer in the spoiler tag after that.

Spoiler:

2,3,5,7,?,?

Spoiler:

2,3,5,7,11,13
aka, prime numbers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Onto the next one!
Statistics... well, it is a very mathematical science, in my opinion, rather than a scientific form of mathematics. It is very useful in studying large scale systems, as it allows for extrapolation of data from, perhaps, a smaller scale. On the other hand, statistics will never be perfectly accurate, as it largely involves taking averages and assumptions, many of them.
It's hard to say. Statistics tend to have a preference amongst Te users, like my IxTJ dad and my ENFP friend, as well as Si users, like an INTP friend.
This is just a guess, but for Si/Ti(still applies to me, though I try to not make decisions based off probability as much as possible) users I think that statistics serve more to indicate a particular trend. Strong statistics can be a good basis for a decision.
For Ni, it sees two sides to every statistic. The 90% side and the 10% side for example. And tries to figure out what factors caused the statistic to split as it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Next!
Stabbing a fork into my eye.. okay, so first, rather than pain, it is a sense of extreme discomfort and uneasiness which strikes me. Next, and once again, this may be disturbing, I receive a vague mental image of a fork stabbing through an eye. And in this particular case, I just remembered a scene from Bleach, a Manga, which is vaguely reminiscent of this, wherein a villain makes a ring materialise in another character's eye, not completely in, but partially, rather like a nose ring or ear ring, thus blinding the character.
I wasn't sure why I asked this question. I felt like it would be a good indicator or something. Both me and an INTJ I know noticed this phenomena. Of inadvertently feeling a certain response to thoughts like this. I personally can't stand the sound of forks scraping against teeth. I doubt it's a phenomena exclusively mapped to Ni doms though.
Your answer sounds very Ni to me. In fact, at this point I'm fairly confident you're a Ni user. You're description is very essential in nature. "Vaguely reminiscent" "Not completely in the eye, but particially, in the way that a nose or ear ring would be put into the eye, and in such a way as to prevent vision." It just felt very Ni-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
My car is very spacious. It is not exactly aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but it is very comfortable on the inside. My car has travelled far from home very often. Even though it was bought second hand, it certainly feels like it's been our car from the very beginning. Sorry, I'm not too enthusiastic about describing my car. The previous questions were more fun to answer, you understand.
Of course! This was more a Si question than a Ni question. I was hunting for signs of Si ness. Your description still seems to have a lot of Ni to it. Your car has the aspects of spaciousness, it's outside doe not have any aesthetically pleasing qualities, the inside offers comfort. It's very descriptive and informative.
Also, I noted you used "our car" instead of "my car" once. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
First of all, I feel the need to say this. When I read the question, the instant imagery I received was of me driving alone at night on a dark road. It's strange, but somehow, even though the question did not mention any specifications, this was what I saw. I saw a black shape moving quickly.
I was mostly curious what your mind might generate. If anything at all. It seems you were aware that the question didn't mention any specifics(Which was intentional. Somehow I think you knew this though...), still this quiz is a quiz about perceptions and you elected to answer anyway. The fact that you did fill in the blanks isn't particularly indicative of a function, everyone does that to an extent. What is indicative is your approach to the question. You being a Ni user is beginning to seem more and more likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
The previous question certainly could have been a trap. Firstly, it is vastly different from the previous question in that the previous ones were asking me what I thought of something... things along those lines. This, however, starts off by declaring a fact, and asking me what it is, as though the questioner knows the answer and is testing me. It seems a bit suspicious. Although that could also be because of the dark setting which I imagine. Also, this seems like the sort of question which might be asked in order to distract me, while they perhaps do something suspicious.
Interesting. I actually had no idea how you were going to answer the previous question. It was a trap to some extent. I was curious if you'd answer the question in context of the questions preceding it. Like the car question before it. I wouldn't say doing so would indicate anything though. I was mostly curious, and was hoping it would draw more of your cognitive process into view.
Ultimately, that is the purpose of this test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
I do have a vague idea of what I'm going to do tomorrow, but I wouldn't call it a 'plan'. The plan will be fully formulated tomorrow, probably when I start doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I think that the previous answer is going to make you think that I'm a relatively easygoing person who does not believe in planning ahead, and rather believes in improvisation.
The ultimate goal was to find your perspective on my perspective. In general, that sounds a lot like how I make plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Now, I thought about this question for a while, and I realised that it could be interpreted two ways. By 'last question', you could mean the last question in the quiz, in which case the question would be this one which I'm answering, and that would be a strange little loop. BUT, you use the word 'were', which means you're assuming that I've answered the question in question already. Which means 'last' must be taken to mean 'previous'. So, my answer would be, yes, I was reluctant to answer that question with one word, as it was not an absolute answer that I had in mind.
I should probably talk about the distinction between Ne and Ni. In general, I automatically link them with their Si and Se counterparts, but this is mostly because I'm a Ni dom. It's all but impossible to understand my Se outside of Ni. I'd imagine that a Se dom would have a similar but reversed perspective.
Ne tends to be divergent. It starts with one idea and finds/makes millions of related ideas. Each impression that a Si user gets from Ni is going to share some characteristics with other impressions, causing a sort of link between them. My Ne dom ENFP friend jumps from idea to seemingly unrelated idea very quickly. They're linked to her, and I can sorta almost follow her reasoning. But I can't predict it. I don't have her experience.
Ni conversely, is convergent in nature. It takes a lot of different ideas and synthesizes them into one core idea. Lots of tables into one idea of tableness. Or all the object/people/feeling/ideas in this room, to where those objects/people/etc. are going to be in ten minutes. It's more intentional. Or who will win in a fight x or y(though Ti can also answer this question just by virtue of analysis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
The quiz started off fairly normally. But it got strange when it asked me what I saw. Perhaps even a little eerie (Don't ask me why.) So, all in all, I'm expecting some interesting analysis from this quiz.
:P I hope I haven't dissappointed. The quiz took a rather meta approach, which was intentional. I'm focusing on Si more in this quiz than Ne, because my understand of Ni vs Si is much stronger than my understand of Se vs Ne. Pi is very meta in nature. Pe is more focused in the here and now; Se with reality, Ne with ideas(But the ideas don't like to stay down. Ne tends to quickly jump to new unrelated ideas). Pi examines the reality Pe brings in from a meta perspective; Si compares the ideas and thoughts that Ne has experienced with past impressions of objects or scenarios, Ni breaks the Se reality into the ideas it's composed of.

You seem very Ni to me. I think that it's likely you're a INFJ. INTJ is unlikely because I don't see much Fi or Te in you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Woah.. I've wasted a lot of time on this. I'll get back to you in some time on your explanation of the functions. Thanks!
Sorry! I hope it was worth it!

Also sorry if my posts are too raw or verbose. I have a bad habit of not reviewing what I write. I constantly think of better ways to phrase things, and I'd rather not rewrite my posts 10 times before submitting them.



Also, have you seen The Mentalist?

Edit:
I've found myself dissatisfied with my ability to describe functions. I have an intuitive Ni understand of functions, and Ti has quantified much of it. But when it comes down to actually putting it into words Fe has to parse Ti's partial definitions and Ti has to keep a whether eye of out for logical inconsistencies.
Basically, if turns into a big game of telephone, leaving my final answer feeling less than adequate.
I dug up some of the good reference material that I've found or been shown over the ages. If you want a solid Ti analysis of functions, I'd recommend taking a look here:
http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=6582
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-January-2017, 07:27 AM   #27
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

I think I've been to focused on the difference between Ni and Si, when in reality I should be focusing on Ni vs Ti.
For me, as a Ni and Ti user, I can have difficulty separating the two. I was reluctant to touch on the difference initially, but I've developed a better understanding of the two, and I've been able to separate the two in my mind.

Both Ni and Ti(Ti-Ne particularly) have a relatively holistic view towards objects. However, it needs to be understood that Ni, unlike Ti, is not a reasoning function. It shouldn't be understood as unreasonable, in fact it's observations are logical sound, but it doesn't actively employ logic to "figure things out", it simple observes information.

Imagine a deck of cards, and imagine that this is the first time you are seeing a deck of cards.
Ni looks at the back side of the card and sees a pattern. It looks at the front side of the card and sees the number 7 as well as 7 hearts on the card face.
It now has formed a tentative understanding of the idea of a card:
-It's back side has a pattern
-It's front side has the number 7 on it.
-It's front side has red 7 hearts on it.

Ni flips up the next card. It's back is the same, but the front has the number 6 with 6 hearts on it.
It now refines it's tentative understand of the idea of a card.
-It's back has the same fixed pattern
-It's front has a number on it. (A number that could be, but is not necessarily limited to, 6 or 7. Ni knows it could be 6 or 7, and it's not going to be surprised to see any other number. For it, the number has become an external detail that is outside of the essence of the card.)
-It has a number of red hearts on it equal to the printed number on it.

Ni flips up another card, a 6 of spades. It's tentative understanding changes:
-It's back side has a fixed pattern.
-It's front side is a number that could be but is not limited to 6-7. (It's beginning to wonder if 6-7 are the only two numbers that are possible.)
-It has a number of pips on it equal to the printed number. These pips vary in symbol and color. At the moment there appear to be only 2 possible colors and 2 possible symbols.

Eventually Ni flips through the whole deck. It discovers that there are 2 possible colors in this particular deck, and 4 possible symbols. It realizes that the printed numbers range from 2-10, and that there are 4 unique styles. It connects that single pip on the Ace with the pips visible on numbered cards, it thus supposes that Ace might represent 1. It hasn't seen any negative numbers. Negative numbers are possible, but why bother with unknown possibilities?(This is more of Ne's realm) Given known data, things appear to have positive values, except when they have letter values. Positive numbers seem to be the most likely possibility. Personally, I tend to avoid making assumptions (probably because of tertairy Ti). Some Nis though, might consider that probability and assume that J,Q, and K represent 11, 12, and 13. But if they don't connect J, Q, and K with anything else(like medieval times, or card games they've played); they won't know which letter corresponds with which number.
That's a vague understanding of how Ni works. As a Ni dom, this seems pretty normal for me. I find it hard to believe that others don't make these connections in as straightforward a way as this.
If a Si user reads this, I'd appreciate the external insight.

Ti also has a somewhat holistic approach. Ti-Ne impraticular.
Ti searchs and finds a logical truth. Ne finds all the possibilities and possible implications of that truth. Ti analyses those possible truths and proves or disproves them either with other logical truths(Ti) or based on observation of the past(Si).
That's my vague, non-Ne user understanding of it anyways.
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 01:59 AM   #28
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

First of all, sorry for the extremely long delay in replying. I've been very busy these past few days, but I can imagine that sending messages on the thread with no one to reply must have felt like talking to a wall.
I did read up on the Cognitive functions on that link you suggested. Only then did I truly realise the superiority (if I may use this word) of the cognitive functions to simply the dichotomies in typing. I was pleased to see the variations in a personality type which the cognitive functions accomodate, rather than the very hard and fast rules system of the dichotomies.
This is slightly unrelated, but I felt like it had to be said. So, here goes. Ever since I learnt of the MBTI system and got INTP as a result of one of those online tests (this was back when I was unaware of the relative inaccuracy of these tests), I started analysing my thoughts. A lot. I start thinking of something, then stop and then analyse what I was thinking of and why. It continues even further. I then start analysing why I was analysing my thoughts in the first place. "I never did this BEFORE finding out about the MBTI, so why now? Is it because, deep down, I WANT to be an Intuitive, and the analysing makes me feel like I am? No, it can't be." I then dispel this entire chain of thought, and try to forget about it, only to find myself doing the same thing a few hours later. Whew, it felt relieving to open up about that mental dilemma I've been having.
The one thing is.. I don't know if my Fe is really an auxiliary function for me. Generally, when I'm around people, I wouldn't consider myself a feeling sort of person; in fact, I occasionally make sarcastic remarks. Is this something typical of INFJs? Do INFJs often hide in public behind an Ti dominant cover? But, I feel the need to mention this, if something crosses the line, for example, making fun of someone, I feel uncomfortable just watching it happen, but at the same time, I can't bring myself to go out there and stop it. But I do try, in subtle or diplomatic ways, perhaps like saying, "Don't you think you're going a little too far this time?"
Also, no, I don't follow The Mentalist, but I have watched about 2 episodes. Do you recommend it? Not that I'll have time, but I can try.
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Ucenna
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 30
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
First of all, sorry for the extremely long delay in replying. I've been very busy these past few days, but I can imagine that sending messages on the thread with no one to reply must have felt like talking to a wall.
Seriously, it's fine! I don't mind talking to walls, most of them are very interesting! They seem to share my deep, introspective nature and love for sitting in the same place for hours on end.
As for these two sentences and all the sentences you've posted that offer a similar vibe, I'd say they are a strong indicator of Fe. And of Ni too in their own way.
Ni is good at seeing things from multiple perspectives. You jumping into my perspective and imagining how I felt is on it's own indicative of Ni.
Also having a very real regard towards my feelings is indicative of Fe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
I did read up on the Cognitive functions on that link you suggested. Only then did I truly realise the superiority (if I may use this word) of the cognitive functions to simply the dichotomies in typing. I was pleased to see the variations in a personality type which the cognitive functions accomodate, rather than the very hard and fast rules system of the dichotomies.

I love functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
This is slightly unrelated, but I felt like it had to be said. So, here goes. Ever since I learnt of the MBTI system and got INTP as a result of one of those online tests (this was back when I was unaware of the relative inaccuracy of these tests), I started analysing my thoughts. A lot. I start thinking of something, then stop and then analyse what I was thinking of and why. It continues even further. I then start analysing why I was analysing my thoughts in the first place. "I never did this BEFORE finding out about the MBTI, so why now? Is it because, deep down, I WANT to be an Intuitive, and the analysing makes me feel like I am? No, it can't be." I then dispel this entire chain of thought, and try to forget about it, only to find myself doing the same thing a few hours later. Whew, it felt relieving to open up about that mental dilemma I've been having.
I can relate to that. When I was first introduced to MBTI I did a LOT of self analysis. I have a very annoying tendency to fit myself to any skin I find. Ni is perspective focused, and it can easily imagine alternative perspectives to view information. When I mistyped myself as an INFP I saw myself and my actions from the INFP perspective, for example. Ni makes mistyping real easy.
Actually, I went through a pretty similar pattern. I wanted to be an INFJ(An INFJ introduced me to typology, and she made them sound pretty awesome.) I actually refused to read the INFJ description for quite sometime least my biased lead me to mistype myself. (Also, I was convinced I wasn't a J. Stupid dichotomy descriptions.)
I'm definitely familiar with super meta thought chains, but I can't say for certain if they're predominant in any particular function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
The one thing is.. I don't know if my Fe is really an auxiliary function for me. Generally, when I'm around people, I wouldn't consider myself a feeling sort of person; in fact, I occasionally make sarcastic remarks. Is this something typical of INFJs? Do INFJs often hide in public behind an Ti dominant cover? But, I feel the need to mention this, if something crosses the line, for example, making fun of someone, I feel uncomfortable just watching it happen, but at the same time, I can't bring myself to go out there and stop it. But I do try, in subtle or diplomatic ways, perhaps like saying, "Don't you think you're going a little too far this time?"
I can understand that. INFJ is typically one of the most T of the F types. It's not uncommon for INFJs to mistype themselves as INTJs. I feel like many supposed INFJs are not actually, and many supposed not INFJs really are. This tends to skew typing even more and has seemed to even affect some descriptions.(though those descriptions might be dichometric rather than functional.)
When I'm not in an emotional/social setting, I'm easily mistaken for a Tx user. At one point I was tempted to stack my functions as NiTi(which could theoretically be possible).
But as soon as I put myself in an emotional setting, Fe would jump out of hiding.
Ultimately though, if I'm not actively acting in a Fe oriented way, I will seem more cold and calculated. I've been accused of being unfeeling before.
For me though, I still absorb emotions through Fe. If people are super happy or super sad, I'll feel the same way. One of the things I like about movies, anime, video games, etc; is that it allows me to experience the emotions of the characters.
Also, I hate watching people embarrass themselves. It's painful.

Random joke:
What's the hardest part of a vegetable to eat?
Spoiler:
The Wheelchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flycatcher View Post
Also, no, I don't follow The Mentalist, but I have watched about 2 episodes. Do you recommend it? Not that I'll have time, but I can try.
I personally love it, but everyone's different. Of note, I'm fairly certain the main character is an INFJ.

Also, I believe House is an INTJ.

Of note, INFJs tend to differ from INFJ to INFJ. There are more factors to a person than just functions. Motivation, environment, genetics. Most INFJs I know are more extroverted than me.

Random additional reading if you're so inclined: (Actually, I just enjoyed the link. Thought you might too.)
http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=7016

What are your thoughts? Ni dom seem to fit?
Ucenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 01:40 PM   #30
The Flycatcher
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
linuxsafari
Default Re: Self typing help, please!

I can definitely relate to what you said about being mistyped as an INFP, because it happened to me with INTP. The more I read INTP descriptions, the more I felt like I could relate to it. And I think that I knew in the back of my mind that I was twisting the idea I have of myself just to fit the characteristics of INTPs. I tried to imagine that the descriptions fit me well, so I could satisfy the description of INTPs that the type required.
As for Ni.. sometimes I keep doubting even the fact that I am an N dominant type.. I can't exactly say why, but I just start wondering, after reading all the descriptions of what Intuition is in Typology, and just the general idea that Intuitives are always thinking of the future. It's kind of thrown me off. There are times where I get very caught up in the moment, and really just see nothing else, and when I think of those moments, I start questioning my 'Intuitiveness'. And it really doesn't help that Intuitives are generally considered to be the rarer ones in the population. Yes, I know that I'm saying 'Intuitives' as though in terms of MBTI, but I mean the types which have Nx as a dominant/auxiliary function. Then there are moments where I am convinced that I am Nx dominant/auxiliary. Sometimes, I wonder.. is this drifting off of the mind something that only Intuitives do? Or is it something that all types do, and only more on Intuitives? Of course, I'm sure it happens to all of us, but sometimes I wonder if Nx is even on the top of my functional stack.
And yes, I have in fact realised while typing this all out, that all this wondering that I've been doing about whether I'm Ni, ironically enough, points to the fact that I am Ni.
But I can never seem to completely trust only my opinion or judgement, so.. I always find that it is better to have a second opinion.
I read through the entire link that you posted, and it was very interesting and insightful! And to think that an INTP knew so much about INFJs!
I may consider the description of the Ti INFJ that was described in the article...
The Flycatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts