INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th-December-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?




So i found those statistics and wondered if the sterotype of women being emotional occoured because the feeling types are more frequent or are women usually more emotional and therefore scored rather feeling than thinking?

And is an average thinking female more emotional than the average male of the same personality type?

PS: I know that being a feeling type and being emotional is not the same, but the stereotype of women mostly includes making decisions based on emotions as well as being emotional - so it doesn't really matter

(PS(2): English isn't my native language so please forgive me any mistakes)
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Reluctantly
Baℕℕed Weirdo
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,740
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

If by emotional, you mean being more sensitive to the feelings of other people, then yes. But that's just common general perception of men vs women. Men are stereotypically the insensitive assholes, whereas women tend to care about how other people feel. It's whatever I guess.
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Women's minds literally work differently than men's. They are generally more creative. This lends to the assumption that women are more in touch with their feeling, but really, they are just more open about what they feel.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
0neKiwi
Unstable
 
0neKiwi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: (this universe)
Posts: 46
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

-"more open about what they feel"...Really? I suppose I have the misconception that they seem to hide what they feel more than men.

It may have something to do with their role in nurturing their children though.
__________________
-"That that is is. That that is not is not. Is that not it?"- English

-"A life without cause is a life without effect."- Coelho

-"A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will."- proverb

--"I'm a fool who doesn't have a purpose in life."- me
0neKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0neKiwi View Post
-"more open about what they feel"...Really? I suppose I have the misconception that they seem to hide what they feel more than men.

It may have something to do with their role in nurturing their children though.
Nope has nothing to do with that. Women are more sly about sharing their feeling, but more open about it as well.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,275
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Well, Dario Nardi's research apparently showed that women who are Thinking dominant tend to be more balanced than Thinking dominant men, so there's certainly some kind of preference towards the Feeling function I would think. I have noticed that the women I've met tend to be Feeling types.
Artsu Tharaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Out of curiosity Artsu would that research show the same for feeling men? As far as the rest of the topic goes I left my 6 foot pole at home.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 02:12 AM   #8
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,275
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
Out of curiosity Artsu would that research show the same for feeling men? As far as the rest of the topic goes I left my 6 foot pole at home.
Well, I've only seen the threads on MBTI forums, I haven't read the book, and they only mentioned about Ti and Te women, it didn't mention about Feeling dominant men.
Artsu Tharaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
Reluctantly
Baℕℕed Weirdo
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,740
linuxsafari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Women's minds literally work differently than men's. They are generally more creative. This lends to the assumption that women are more in touch with their feeling, but really, they are just more open about what they feel.
Men's minds literally work differently than women's. They are generally more autistic. This lead's to the assumption that men are more in touch with their thinking, but really, they are just incapable of feeling much.
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 03:03 AM   #10
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
linuxsafari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Well, Dario Nardi's research apparently showed that women who are Thinking dominant tend to be more balanced than Thinking dominant men, so there's certainly some kind of preference towards the Feeling function I would think. I have noticed that the women I've met tend to be Feeling types.
Tend to be more balanced how?

I'm struggling to find logical coherence amidst all these generalisations.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 03:11 AM   #11
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,275
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctantly View Post
Men's minds literally work differently than women's. They are generally more autistic. This lead's to the assumption that men are more in touch with their thinking, but really, they are just incapable of feeling much.
Yet people with Aspergers are actually generally more androgynous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91
Tend to be more balanced how?

I'm struggling to find logical coherence amidst all these generalisations.
They have more qualities associated with the corresponding Feeling type, I think.

Here's two quotes:

Quote:
Female Te types show more diverse brain activity and are more responsive to social feedback.
Quote:
Overall Ti types show the least interest in listening. Female Ti types can listen more with effort.
(Fe is associated with social feedback, Fi is associated with listening)


And here's a general quote on the difference between the male and female brain:

Quote:
In general, men have approximately 6.5 times the amount of gray matter related to general intelligence than women, and women have nearly 10 times the amount of white matter related to intelligence than men. Gray matter represents information processing centers in the brain, and white matter represents the networking of – or connections between – these processing centers.
Artsu Tharaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 04:28 AM   #12
Reluctantly
Baℕℕed Weirdo
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,740
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Yet people with Aspergers are actually generally more androgynous.
I wasn't serious. Guess the joke was bad.
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 04:56 AM   #13
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,275
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctantly View Post
I wasn't serious. Guess the joke was bad.
oh lol

Well, still it's a misconception worth dispelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0neKiwi
I suppose I have the misconception that they seem to hide what they feel more than men.
I thought it would have been the other way around? o.O i.e. men hiding what they feel more because culturally, emotional displays are more acceptable in women.
Artsu Tharaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 05:22 AM   #14
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

[/quote]I thought it would have been the other way around? o.O i.e. men hiding what they feel more because culturally, emotional displays are more acceptable in women.[/quote]

This leads to the question wheither women with thinking types develop their feeling function and men their thinking function just because it's socially more acceptable, which promotes the stereotype even more?

(I should stop asking questions that humanity can't really answer but they are really bugging me and are interesting to discuss xD)

Last edited by Jane; 19th-December-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: I can't get that quote right
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 05:25 AM   #15
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

I propose that typology have different types for men and women.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 05:54 AM   #16
EyeSeeCold
lust for life
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 7,734
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0neKiwi View Post
-"more open about what they feel"...Really? I suppose I have the misconception that they seem to hide what they feel more than men.

It may have something to do with their role in nurturing their children though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Nope has nothing to do with that. Women are more sly about sharing their feeling, but more open about it as well.
Interesting detail.

I don't think guys are averse to or incapable of feeling, rather they're tactile feelers. There's nothing much like holding a woman's frame close, cupping her meaty butt and knowing she's yours (at least for the time being).

But it's frowned upon for guys to admit they enjoy touch, cuddling etc.
__________________


Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 06:06 AM   #17
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

We know that in our society, women are generally perceived to be more emotional than men. But, I don't think this is down to hormones as stereotypes would have you believe. Your type isn't something your inherently born with entirely, a lot of it is set by nurturing at a young age. And people often tend to trash boys not to display emotions, not to cry, not to look soft. Girls are often babied and encouraged by being given attention for crying and so on, which encouraged development of the domin feeling. Believing following their heart to be the right way; not the mind. On the other hand, I know some thinking type girls who show less emotion than I do, which is why I don't think it's just biological.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 06:15 AM   #18
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,275
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
I propose that typology have different types for men and women.
Like "INTP male description" and "INTP female description" or different types altogether?

Quote:
This leads to the question wheither women with thinking types develop their feeling function and men their thinking function just because it's socially more acceptable, which promotes the stereotype even more?
And more generally, to what degree is the use of our brains just a learned behaviour? How much can we change our brain activity by changing our behaviours and thinking patterns?

I would say that the MBTI related quotes I posted from Nardi threads could easily relate to the learned use of type, however the thing about white versus grey matter would be ingrained differences, and I'm unsure if that difference would have an effect on type statistics. It would certainly influence a huge amount of differences between the sexes, however.
Artsu Tharaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 06:19 AM   #19
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
We know that in our society, women are generally perceived to be more emotional than men. But, I don't think this is down to hormones as stereotypes would have you believe. Your type isn't something your inherently born with entirely, a lot of it is set by nurturing at a young age. And people often tend to trash boys not to display emotions, not to cry, not to look soft. Girls are often babied and encouraged by being given attention for crying and so on, which encouraged development of the domin feeling. Believing following their heart to be the right way; not the mind. On the other hand, I know some thinking type girls who show less emotion than I do, which is why I don't think it's just biological.
Thank you - just thank you!^^

I completely support this theory.

Personally I think gender stereotypes have to vanish forever.
I know it sounds stupid but recently i got the idea to change "he" or "she" to one word which describes both genders (it shouldn't be "it" because we are not objects) But this will probably never happen thanks to our culture
It kind of frustrates me that there are so many stereotypes floating around...

Last edited by Jane; 19th-December-2016 at 06:21 AM. Reason: And a typo again
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 07:16 AM   #20
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Like "INTP male description" and "INTP female description" or different types altogether?
Altogether different metrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Thank you - just thank you!^^

I completely support this theory.

Personally I think gender stereotypes have to vanish forever.
I know it sounds stupid but recently i got the idea to change "he" or "she" to one word which describes both genders (it shouldn't be "it" because we are not objects) But this will probably never happen thanks to our culture
It kind of frustrates me that there are so many stereotypes floating around...
I don't! It is brain science as well as hormonal. That garbage about women and men being the same is nonsense. Women have changes in their brain that distinguish them from men, for example, the hemispheres are more connected.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 07:21 AM   #21
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
I don't! It is brain science as well as hormonal. That garbage about women and men being the same is nonsense. Women have changes in their brain that distinguish them from men, for example, the hemispheres are more connected.
That's still a possibility, but then what is the difference to non-staight people?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 08:16 AM   #22
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

I found my 6 foot pole.

It's obvious males and females are physically and mentally different in general. To what extent it's nearly impossible to say unless you're talking about extremes (aka people dedicated to their Olympic sport). So while knowing if someone is female or male is helpful if you need to make snap judgement without context, once you know what an individual is like you can and should strive to judge them on that alone.

In other words it's fine to stereotype people out of necessary until you have information to the contrary but you need to make sure you don't assume the stereotype is correct and simply use it as a tool. It's perfectly okay to assume that the only other guy walking around at 3 am with no shirt and an axe is a mass murderer as assuming the worst can keep you safe. However it's not okay to shoot him and take his keys and later find out he owns a lumber business and was working night shifts to support his family.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 08:30 AM   #23
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
I found my 6 foot pole.

It's obvious males and females are physically and mentally different in general. To what extent it's nearly impossible to say unless you're talking about extremes (aka people dedicated to their Olympic sport). So while knowing if someone is female or male is helpful if you need to make snap judgement without context, once you know what an individual is like you can and should strive to judge them on that alone.

In other words it's fine to stereotype people out of necessary until you have information to the contrary but you need to make sure you don't assume the stereotype is correct and simply use it as a tool. It's perfectly okay to assume that the only other guy walking around at 3 am with no shirt and an axe is a mass murderer as assuming the worst can keep you safe. However it's not okay to shoot him and take his keys and later find out he owns a lumber business and was working night shifts to support his family.
I see your point with the stereotypes. Sadly stereotypes sometimes aren't used that way. Some people think you have to fit your stereotype or else you're weird. -so for example most women are feeling and it's okay to assume that a women you met is feeling because most are, but when there is a thinking women as an individual they are told that they are not feminine

And do you have sources on the claim that women and men are mentally really that different? I would love to read a scientific study on that topic
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
That's still a possibility, but then what is the difference to non-staight people?
You don't want to know what I think of gay people.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
You don't want to know what I think of gay people.
If it is something negative i really don't wan't to know
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:09 AM   #26
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 4,860
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
If it is something negative i really don't wan't to know
Not negative per se.
__________________

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Not negative per se.
Okay i'm curious
I want to know what you think about gay people
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:25 AM   #28
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,995
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Ah the age old "are people different when they're different?" debate.

The answers change upon how you ask the question (which is a sure sign you're asking the wrong question) for instance:

Are women generally more emotional than men? Without a doubt.
Are women always more emotional than men? Of course not.
Are women inherently more emotional than men? Define "emotional".

Y'see it's not that women are more or less emotional than men but rather than men and women experience different emotions or experience the same emotions differently, maybe a bit of both.
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
men and women experience different emotions or experience the same emotions differently
This is a good question
Yay philosophy time \(^_^)/
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Oh, it's obvious we have our biological differences. Other than whether we keep our reproduction system on the inside or outside, what they are unfortunately open is to debate.

Regarding brain structures, we know now how malleable the human brain is. Our brain structures are set heavily by nurture and pathways and connections can even change over time. So how do we know that the way we culturally treat each gender role doesn't sway this?

And my point about having to control your emotions more as a man still stands. As an adult, I know I simply have to control any aggressive nature because if I were to hit woman, most women I would do serious harm to. On the other hand, I've had several women throw a punch at me and it's completely harmless. So there's not really as much need. (And not saying all - I know girls I'd be seriously afraid of.)

Plus, I also know girls who in groups teach each other to cry on demand to get what they want from the guys in their life. Can you imagine guys doing that? It just wouldn't happen. But it's culturally acceptable not to control feelings so much.

And of course we can go into the fact that suicide rates are higher amongst men because they rarely seek treatment for depression, where they don't actually suffer depression any more. Just don't seek treatment for it because they're afraid of admitting what is often seen as weakness.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
I see your point with the stereotypes. Sadly stereotypes sometimes aren't used that way. Some people think you have to fit your stereotype or else you're weird. -so for example most women are feeling and it's okay to assume that a women you met is feeling because most are, but when there is a thinking women as an individual they are told that they are not feminine

And do you have sources on the claim that women and men are mentally really that different? I would love to read a scientific study on that topic
Well if you take the definition google gives it's not feminine, but that's perfectly fine. *grumble grumble INFP men grumble grumble masculinity*

I didn't say they are really that different just that differences exist. Why do you assume there is a big difference?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
Regarding brain structures, we know now how malleable the human brain is. Our brain structures are set heavily by nurture and pathways and connections can even change over time. So how do we know that the way we culturally treat each gender role doesn't sway this?
True however why do you think the cultural treatment started? Is it reinforcing and exaggerating a truth, a self fulfilling prophecy or complete fabrication?
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:11 AM   #32
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
True however why do you think the cultural treatment started? Is it reinforcing and exaggerating a truth, a self fulfilling prophecy or complete fabrication?
My theory is that the gender roles we still have are the product of an a phase of our history that used to be necessary, but no longer are. We would have originally had men out hunting and gathering while women staid in the cave when they had young, and at other times foraging for fruits and stuff.

Then in our society developed and it became necessary for men to be out working (especially what with more jobs being very manual and requiring a lot of physical strength), while not having any technological conveniences meant that for women the home was pretty much a full time job.

And we played into this malarkey and exaggerated our gender roles over the years.

We don't live in the wild anymore and physical strength isn't really that important. We have so many modern conveniences that you can run the home whilst working easily enough. The old roles are simply not required anymore.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:17 AM   #33
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
I didn't say they are really that different just that differences exist. Why do you assume there is a big difference?
Oh i think i understood it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
True however why do you think the cultural treatment started? Is it reinforcing and exaggerating a truth, a self fulfilling prophecy or complete fabrication?
(Sorry the question wasn't directed towards me but i want to answer)
That's probably because it started in the stone age where being physically weak was really dangerous and for reproducing women had to be protected by men - the stronger gender
Therefore the task of hunting was practised by men because the possibility of dying was less
Resulting in women taking care of children and doing all sorts of things that don't require physical strength. At that time most mental work was related to emotional issues, because they didn't have that mich intellectual work.
It is possible that the stereotypes originated in that time and are only slowly fading
(I don't know if this is right but it sounds logical to me)
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:22 AM   #34
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

It's also worth noting that while it's more common for men to dominant in a society, there are some that exist were women are considered the dominant and stronger sex, so there is certainly an element of culture involved.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:24 AM   #35
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

True
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,995
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

We need blind testimonials, for example we ask the question:
Do you feel at all vulnerable during sex and if so how and why?

Men and women of the forum answer (without first reading each others answers) then after the fact we can compare the results and possibly gain an insight into but one of the factors relevant to this discussion.
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
We need blind testimonials, for example we ask the question:
Do you feel at all vulnerable during sex and if so how and why?

Men and women of the forum answer (without first reading each others answers) then after the fact we can compare the results and possibly gain an insight into but one of the factors relevant to this discussion.
We've already had that discussion. As it turned out, it seemed the answer to that question related more to whether you're a sensory or intuitive, more than your gender.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:44 AM   #38
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,995
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Good we learned something then.

We need to repeat the process with as many relevant questions as we can think of.
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
My theory is that the gender roles we still have are the product of an a phase of our history that used to be necessary, but no longer are. We would have originally had men out hunting and gathering while women staid in the cave when they had young, and at other times foraging for fruits and stuff.

Then in our society developed and it became necessary for men to be out working (especially what with more jobs being very manual and requiring a lot of physical strength), while not having any technological conveniences meant that for women the home was pretty much a full time job.

And we played into this malarkey and exaggerated our gender roles over the years.

We don't live in the wild anymore and physical strength isn't really that important. We have so many modern conveniences that you can run the home whilst working easily enough. The old roles are simply not required anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
(Sorry the question wasn't directed towards me but i want to answer)
That's probably because it started in the stone age where being physically weak was really dangerous and for reproducing women had to be protected by men - the stronger gender
Therefore the task of hunting was practised by men because the possibility of dying was less
Resulting in women taking care of children and doing all sorts of things that don't require physical strength. At that time most mental work was related to emotional issues, because they didn't have that mich intellectual work.
It is possible that the stereotypes originated in that time and are only slowly fading
(I don't know if this is right but it sounds logical to me)
Oh so you're saying natural selection phased intelligence out of women? That seems a very sexist view of things. I mean it is true that men who failed would have died which would improve the gene pool but that would also improve the pool for their future children leaving that aspect irrelevant and females just as mentally capable.

So if females and males are mentally the same and males are physically stronger does that make females inferior by default?

Spoiler:
I'm sorry I saw it and had to go for it I generally can't stay serious for long. Just to be clear this last post is entirely trolling and I entirely understand what you were getting at.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 10:57 AM   #40
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
So if females and males are mentally equal and males are physically stronger does that make females inferior by default?
[/spoiler]
Now that is an interesting question.
We either have to accept that we a mentally inferior to balance it out or agree to superiority. And the trouble is, I've heard all the mentally superior arguments and they never work. In general intelligence, girls have a clear when younger, but it balances out to negligible by about age 20. (Although the world record for the highest IQ score of about 220 is held by a woman, so we may just be mentally inferior.) Meh; I'm high enough in the male league tables to compete so it doesn't matter.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Though on the subject of "men are stronger than women", yes in extreme olympic sports the men do have superior abilities, and it's said that no woman has passed the commando training tests (or so my brother who was as soldier said, so assume it's true).

However, in normal day to day life, we're not going to live to the extremes of that. I am stronger than most women, yes. But again, this is because I have done a lot of strength training; and the majority of women are afraid of "looking manly" with strength training. I could easily train almost any able bodied woman to be as strong as me. So again, there's a lot of cultural typesetting involved in that fact.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 11:17 AM   #42
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
Though on the subject of "men are stronger than women", yes in extreme olympic sports the men do have superior abilities, and it's said that no woman has passed the commando training tests (or so my brother who was as soldier said, so assume it's true).

However, in normal day to day life, we're not going to live to the extremes of that. I am stronger than most women, yes. But again, this is because the majority of women are afraid of "looking manly" with strength training. I could easily train almost any able bodied woman to be as strong as me. So again, there's a lot of cultural typesetting involved in that fact.
Sure... but to play devils advocate again I was friends with a gold medal female Olympic (or maybe commonwealth it's been a while) weight lifter and a bunch of random 17 year old guys gave her trouble in a arm wrestling contest. There also was that time the team ranked fifth in FIFA's women's rankings (Australian female Olympic football team) lost 7-0 to the under 16 boys team. These are people who are obviously not afraid of looking manly. I do agree that physical strength in many things isn't needed but the difference is really something that can't be underplayed.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 11:48 AM   #43
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

It's probably a fact that on average men are stronger than women - taller people are stronger than smaller - the average women height is in every country ~12cm under the male height

But in times in which you can't punch someone in the face to dominate them (because of wel...police) mental abilities are waaay more important and therefore men and women are equal
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 11:48 AM   #44
Reluctantly
Baℕℕed Weirdo
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,740
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Oh i think i understood it wrong



(Sorry the question wasn't directed towards me but i want to answer)
That's probably because it started in the stone age where being physically weak was really dangerous and for reproducing women had to be protected by men - the stronger gender
Therefore the task of hunting was practised by men because the possibility of dying was less
Resulting in women taking care of children and doing all sorts of things that don't require physical strength. At that time most mental work was related to emotional issues, because they didn't have that mich intellectual work.
It is possible that the stereotypes originated in that time and are only slowly fading
(I don't know if this is right but it sounds logical to me)
I just don't see how hunting is very intellectual work. It might require a mindset that isn't phased with inflicting pain on another life; and it might be keen on using callous thinking (with some strength) to kill an animal effectively so that it doesn't have a chance to defend itself. But that's not very intellectual, unless you are talking about tactics and strategy; however women employ tactics and strategy in the social/political sphere, so it's not like women somehow didn't need to be intelligent to survive either.
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:03 PM   #45
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,995
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
It's probably a fact that on average men are stronger than women - taller people are stronger than smaller - the average women height is in every country ~12cm under the male height
Actually shorter people have a leverage advantage, between two untrained combatants the taller person has a reach advantage but if a shorter person knows to get up close that reach becomes a disadvantage.
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:06 PM   #46
The Gopher
President
 
The Gopher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,238
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
It's probably a fact that on average men are stronger than women - taller people are stronger than smaller - the average women height is in every country ~12cm under the male height

But in times in which you can't punch someone in the face to dominate them (because of wel...police) mental abilities are waaay more important and therefore men and women are equal
Also that testosterone thing. So women are mentally superior to males? Or are male police superior to female police due to the extra physical capabilities? As much as I would like it to be so the world isn't necessarily fair even though people should be treated equally or at least on an individual basis.
The Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:11 PM   #47
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctantly View Post
I just don't see how hunting is very intellectual work. It might require a mindset that isn't phased with inflicting pain on another life; and it might be keen on using callous thinking (with some strength) to kill an animal effectively so that it doesn't have a chance to defend itself. But that's not very intellectual, unless you are talking about tactics and strategy; however women employ tactics and strategy in the social/political sphere, so it's not like women somehow didn't need to be intelligent to survive either.
I meant the exact opposite: it is less likely that men die while hunting because they are physically stronger not mentally - they are more capable of taking attacks
(Sorry if my phrasing caused misunderstanding)
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:15 PM   #48
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 850
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctantly View Post
I just don't see how hunting is very intellectual work. It might require a mindset that isn't phased with inflicting pain on another life; and it might be keen on using callous thinking (with some strength) to kill an animal effectively so that it doesn't have a chance to defend itself. But that's not very intellectual, unless you are talking about tactics and strategy; however women employ tactics and strategy in the social/political sphere, so it's not like women somehow didn't need to be intelligent to survive either.
It sounded to me like he was only making the point about strength being the difference. I thought the point was the intelligence wasn't really a contributory factor.

But if you're talking about stone age man, how smart were they to take a stick and think that if they sharpened the end it could skewer a wild bore? Or a saw made from the teeth of your kills? These may not seem like acts of genius now, but we are talking about stone age man here.

And by the way - how long has you're avatar been wearing that Christmas hat? I just noticed and can't figure out when it appeared.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:16 PM   #49
Jane
Alien_with_goals
 
Jane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 18
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gopher View Post
Also that testosterone thing. So women are mentally superior to males? Or are male police superior to female police due to the extra physical capabilities? As much as I would like it to be so the world isn't necessarily fair even though people should be treated equally or at least on an individual basis.
I said women and men are mentally equal
And rules/the judges/the police are the reason why physical strength is worthless in todays society
(and also rules prevent policemen from punching policewomen...)
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-December-2016, 12:16 PM   #50
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,995
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Are women more emotional and therefore score more often the feeling types or originated this stereotype in women mostly being feeling types?

I feel this thread is slipping down the slope of stupid.

Fuck it lets race to the bottom

I think women are superior to men because every species has females (some only have females) but no species has only males therefore women are the default human form and men are just Y-chromosome genetic parasites.
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts