INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5th-October-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 651
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Show us your facebook ads

I've noticed, in quite a lot of places, shit that talks about or hints to how facebook knows a lot/everything, depending on how hyperbolic they are being, about you.

I remain somewhat sceptical about these claims. Of coarse facebook has a lot of information about their users but not everything is correct and not all of the conclusions they draw from whatever analytics they do on their database is correct.

So this is going to be a thread where we share the ads we are shown by facebook and we evaluate whether it is relevant to us or not.

I'll go first

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2851

Facebook thinks I'm feeling broken inside... I don't think so.
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-October-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,210
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Get a load out of this shit:



Bwahhahahahahhahahahaha! That's some funny shit right thur.
__________________
QuickTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-October-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
YoungGuns
Member
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 651
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Bwahhahahahahhahahahaha! That's some funny shit right thur.
Would you say you are the wrong target audience for tie ads? you wear ties a lot? you into fashion or even just general clothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
NSA
Do you think this might be related to your work history or any background information like that? Do you think the ad is suited for you or not? would you give the prospect of joining the NSA any thought?
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,121
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads



In fairness, I probably am the target audience. Probably just get this because I follow a few PC gaming channels.



Absolutely no idea why that's there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,121
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Further down, I just get new PC cases, FF-XV and a new Hitman game. Dam, Facebook, I have other interests too, ya know.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
Sinny91
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 6,314
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

I just looked, mine are boring... A Sky advert, a TalkTalk advert, an Evanescence advert and this:



To the person who just messaged me, I'm not using my messenger because I dont want to get back to the other 6 people, or give them reason to message again.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-November-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
macossafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Facebook?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAlooooooolll ... rotflmao
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-November-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
Cheeseumpuffs
Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
 
Cheeseumpuffs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth Dimension C-137
Posts: 2,229
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Looks like my facebook ads right now are ads for turntables, british tv shows, and guitar strings, which is pretty standard.

The other day youtube played me a korean ad for some kind of phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
looooooolll ... rotflmao
I feel like people shouldn't be allowed to experiment with acronyms after a certain age.
__________________
fucking illuminati
Cheeseumpuffs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-November-2016, 04:53 AM   #10
IndigoViolet11
*.*
 
IndigoViolet11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Junk ocean and pit of goodies
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

I so wonder why I will ever want an account for gambling. It said below, with my bad translation,

Transfer money at anytime you wish
You can now use "easy pay" to transfer money immediately to your gambling account. It is simple and nice. You must be 18+ to gamble. Do not get addicted to gambling.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2016-11-27-12-48-11_20161127125053945.jpg  
IndigoViolet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-November-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 651
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoViolet11 View Post
I so wonder why I will ever want an account for gambling. It said below, with my bad translation,

Transfer money at anytime you wish
You can now use "easy pay" to transfer money immediately to your gambling account. It is simple and nice. You must be 18+ to gamble. Do not get addicted to gambling.
You from hong kong? do ads need to state a disclaimer like this "Do not get addicted to gambling" over there?
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-November-2016, 01:37 AM   #12
YoungGuns
Member
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBind View Post
Do you think this might be related to your work history or any background information like that? Do you think the ad is suited for you or not? would you give the prospect of joining the NSA any thought?
It's certainly not from knowing my work background, as I am prettymuch an unskilled laborer. I believe it's based mostly on my fb history, age, and that I am a student.

I would work for the NSA, though, for the same reason I would be a NAZI in WW2: more opportunities to sabotage or at least low key make things more difficult for an evil organization.
YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-November-2016, 01:41 AM   #13
YoungGuns
Member
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Facebook?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAlooooooolll ... rotflmao
I don't get on that often anymore, though I had to get rid of the app to rid myself of that stupid mindless compulsion. Yea, it's mostly shit, but it's the only way I keep contact with a lot of friends from my past. I could understand having this view if you are from a different generation and most of your friends wouldn't be on there.

Plus, how else am I supposed to get perspective on normies?!
YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-November-2016, 07:44 AM   #14
YoungGuns
Member
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
I don't get on that often anymore, though I had to get rid of the app to rid myself of that stupid mindless compulsion. Yea, it's mostly shit, but it's the only way I keep contact with a lot of friends from my past. I could understand having this view if you are from a different generation and most of your friends wouldn't be on there.

Plus, how else am I supposed to get perspective on normies?!
*Goes on Facebook again for the first time in a few days

Nevermind, since growing up all the fun and fun people have left and it's just a shithole with a messenger.
YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-November-2016, 09:33 PM   #15
baccheion
Member
 

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 80
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

I get a lot of ads that are a repetition of sites I've recently visited. The ads aren't that relevant (but they are better than the irrelevant garbage I'd see elsewhere-- like showing me women's dresses or skirts, when I'm clearly male with male surfing patterns), but they spooked me, as I'm trying to figure out how they know where I've visited. Maybe the sites had a Facebook widget or something?
baccheion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th-November-2016, 03:06 AM   #16
IndigoViolet11
*.*
 
IndigoViolet11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Junk ocean and pit of goodies
Posts: 70
linuxsafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBind View Post
You from hong kong? do ads need to state a disclaimer like this "Do not get addicted to gambling" over there?
I think yes because most ads write that line.
IndigoViolet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-December-2016, 11:06 PM   #17
Architect
Professional INTP
 
Architect's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,692
macossafari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
Plus, how else am I supposed to get perspective on normies?!
Just live a relatively normal life. 'normies', though, I like that.

I actually would very much like to regularly use Facebook, its a great way to manage my relationships without having to actually talk to any of them. Unfortunately I'm allergic to it. I honestly can't stand Facebook, it's like all the Se dominants in my life having a forum to stand up and yell. Or maybe it's like giving me a window into what they're really thinking, which is just horrific. Dealing with them irl is bad enough, I can't handle getting into their heads.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
I don't see emotions as something that need to be controlled, they're just information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjots
Because I think the Singularity is much more interesting than the Rapture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSurfer
I don't really care to act against my nature anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywocky
Discovery channel is like introductory porn for INTPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Minsky
I probably wouldn't go skydiving anyhow because my time is too valuable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8151147
Coding is fun, how the hell you can live without it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E404
Sometimes the hardest part is knowing what I actually want and allowing myself to want it...
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-December-2016, 04:54 AM   #18
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,210
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
which is just horrific.
...
__________________
QuickTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-December-2016, 04:59 AM   #19
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,210
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBind View Post
Would you say you are the wrong target audience for tie ads? you wear ties a lot? you into fashion or even just general clothing?
Its prolly because I have posted personality tests on my page, tbh.
__________________
QuickTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-December-2016, 06:58 AM   #20
Reluctantly
notzi nazi
 
Reluctantly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,874
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Huh, mine makes it sound like I'm a business man that likes to play video games and keep up on the new york times bias of current events.

Spoiler:
Reluctantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-December-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 651
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
its a great way to manage my relationships without having to actually talk to any of them.
Even on facebook long term relationships with people you don't ever really see in your daily life is really hard to maintain. The conversations don't feel real. It's literally just updating each other about your lives, nice to think about for a while but none of it really matters to you and might as well be forgotten within a week or so. But then again it'd probably be the same if you met old friends in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I honestly can't stand Facebook, it's like all the Se dominants in my life having a forum to stand up and yell. Or maybe it's like giving me a window into what they're really thinking, which is just horrific. Dealing with them irl is bad enough, I can't handle getting into their heads.
This is why even though I have facebook I never really use it to share comments, posts... publicly. I always get the nagging feeling that I'll say something stupid that I'll regret in a couple of years, if not instantly.

I mostly just use facebook to talk to friends that I regularly see in uni. To be fair it could probably be any old messaging service, it's just more convenient with facebook because they're likely to be on it.
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-December-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
RaBind
sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
 
RaBind's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 651
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
Its prolly because I have posted personality tests on my page, tbh.
What personality type do you associate with funky ties?
__________________
"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for." Viktor E. Frankl

Don't look at anything too closely or you'll spot the bullshit.

Spoiler:
RaBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th-December-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,210
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaBind View Post
What personality type do you associate with funky ties?
Its that personality test are prolly seen as something for "sophisticated" people.
__________________
QuickTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-December-2016, 01:32 AM   #24
QuickTwist
Man of few words
 
QuickTwist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The keen war front.
Posts: 5,210
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Show us your facebook ads

I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.
__________________
QuickTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Facebook Cognisant The Lounge 45 10th-December-2014 01:39 PM
FaceBook JarNew INTP Archive 45 2nd-February-2011 06:54 PM
Hilarious Ads that Market to Me for Some Reason on Hotmail Cobra The Lounge Archive 25 15th-January-2010 05:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts