INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Old 11th-August-2016, 03:12 AM   #1
Mr. Altitude
Immature =/= stupid.

macossafari
Default Profanity

I've noticed that INTPs, for whatever reason, tend to shy away from swearing. One of my best friends, an INTP, greatly disproves of it, an INTP ex-friend of mine thinks that anyone who swears must be an idiot, and an ENTP friend of mine (same functions, slightly different order) usually doesn't swear unless prompted.

Personally, I didn't really start swearing until 7th or 8th grade. I was really uncomfortable with it then, but since people around me started doing it more and more, I eventually gave in, and now curse words are basically a part of my everyday vocabulary.

The most likely explanation seems to be that society generally looks down on it. Like, between friends or at a party a person could swear like a sailor, but in public will most likely just swear under his breath as appropriate.

It's just words though, which is why I don't really have a problem with it anymore.
Mr. Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-August-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
Cheeseumpuffs
Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Profanity

Fuck you, fucking asstwat cuntfucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Altitude View Post
Personally, I didn't really start swearing until 7th or 8th grade. I was really uncomfortable with it then, but since people around me started doing it more and more, I eventually gave in, and now curse words are basically a part of my everyday vocabulary.

It's just words though, which is why I don't really have a problem with it anymore.
This is me.

I do it in public all the time, too. The only time I really feel bad about it is when I notice I've cussed near a child (I loudly called my friend a cunt once while there was a young girl maybe 5 feet behind me).

I love cussing. I love the emotional emphasis behind swear words. I don't even pay attention to meaning anymore, it's all just about expressing, to me.

If I bang my toe on something and yell "nigger asscunt fucking shitballs" at the top of my lungs, it has nothing to do with black people or asses or cunts or fucking or shit or balls, it's just how I feel at the moment.
Old 11th-August-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
Grayman
Me^1

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I view cursing like I do grunting. You would expect a person to grunt when they got punched in the stomach or lift something heavy. If all a person does is grunt when you try to have a conversation then you would also begin to wonder how intelligent they really are.
Old 11th-August-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Veravera
pro baller

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseumpuffs View Post
I love cussing. I love the emotional emphasis behind swear words. I don't even pay attention to meaning anymore, it's all just about expressing, to me.

If I bang my toe on something and yell "nigger asscunt fucking shitballs" at the top of my lungs, it has nothing to do with black people or asses or cunts or fucking or shit or balls, it's just how I feel at the moment.
lol exactly

curse words have definitely lost their meaning to me over time, it's all about emphasis, with 'fuck' winning first place for being so versatile. in the case of accidentally hurting myself, any nonsensical combination works very well -> "bitchfuck shitass brotherfucking titcunt"

my (very conservative) family has gotten so used to it by now they think it's no biggie
Veravera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-August-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Sinny91
Banned

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayman View Post
I view cursing like I do grunting. You would expect a person to grunt when they got punched in the stomach or lift something heavy. If all a person does is grunt when you try to have a conversation then you would also begin to wonder how intelligent they really are.
Lol.

I love profanity.

Fek, fek, fekitty, fek, fek, fek.

But I'm Irish and English, I'm gunna love profanity, aren't I?

There were some recent studies claiming that those who swear more actually have a wider range of vocab as opposed to those who don't ; I don't know if that is actually true or not.. But I do know that recent studies suggest swearers aren't all that bad.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
Lol.

I love profanity.

Fek, fek, fekitty, fek, fek, fek.

But I'm Irish and English, I'm gunna love profanity, aren't I?

There were some recent studies claiming that those who swear more actually have a wider range of vocab as opposed to those who don't ; I don't know if that is actually true or not.. But I do know that recent studies suggest swearers aren't all that bad.
Idk about that, I mean if you had a wide vocab why would you need the triteness of swears?

Case in point

Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Minuend
Resident Member

Yeah, I like swearing, and I like when other people use swearing appropriately, ironically, humorously and so on. I enjoy things being exaggerated by swearing and like when it sets a more friendly, banter tone.

So yeah overall good stuff

I think people would be better off trying to see the intention behind the swearing, rather than just observe swearing was done.
Iíll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail or prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust.
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Blarraun
straightedgy

I save irl curses for those special people and those special moments when I put passion behind them to make them count, to show how happy or appreciative I am of the recipient.

People tend to look afraid, give me their undivided attention and they respect that I cut the bs with a few measured words, works as intended.
mail preferred

Blarraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
Rook
Resident Member

linuxfedorafirefox

Swearing is more apt for me when used in conjunction with other words. As a single expression of emotion, guttural grumblings or animilistic vocal exclamations are more fitting.

See:
*Gertrude drops his glass, which shatters on the floor
*"Fuck!" or "Fucking hell" is what he shouts.

**Gertrude drops his glass, which shatters on the floor
** "My useless fucking fingers can't grip anything these days!"
or
** "Fucking Blartstanesian factory workers, glass was blown by craftsmen back in the day!"

Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-August-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
Cheeseumpuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuend View Post
I think people would be better off trying to see the intention behind the swearing, rather than just observe swearing was done.
This. This so hard.

I told my mom to fuck off the other day (in a way that I felt was obviously a joke/not serious) and it's now caused a multiple day-long argument about whether or not it meant anything.
Old 12th-August-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
Minuend
Resident Member

Quote:
This. This so hard.

I told my mom to fuck off the other day (in a way that I felt was obviously a joke/not serious) and it's now caused a multiple day-long argument about whether or not it meant anything.
I spent a day with my mother and sister and they didn't get my comments at all. I'm willing to blame my own lack of humor here, but maybe it just comes down to difference in what is funny

I know I grew up in an environment where I didn't think I was funny. I was even told as a child by an adult "you're not funny". I guess I should mention I don't think myself funny but rather consider my comments to in best case give people something to make funny of. I'm trying to allow an atmosphere where people feel ok being funny in their own way
Iíll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail or prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust.
Minuend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-August-2016, 04:47 AM   #12
Kuu
Dolphins for Putin

macossafari

Words are tools. To be used when appropriate. Sometimes you need a scalpel, and sometimes you need a chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarraun View Post
I save irl curses for those special people and those special moments when I put passion behind them to make them count, to show how happy or appreciative I am of the recipient.

People tend to look afraid, give me their undivided attention and they respect that I cut the bs with a few measured words, works as intended.
I like to do this too. Cursing or showing aggression too frequently desensitises the target and the attack loses power. The strike must be sudden, precise and devastating. Great predators don't bark, predators stalk and pounce for the kill.

Besides, it's often more satisfying to cut down people with a scalpel. Sure, there's less gory spectacle, but it's its own artform...

Spoiler:
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-August-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I use profanity casually in person where nonverbal communication helps with intent etc to commentate situations (e.g. "damn, dude that's fucking crazy " ) but online it doesn't flow as comfortably as I become more cerebral than emotional.

Quote:
This. This so hard.

What if she just doesn't want you joking that way? She is your mum after all, typically a non-equal/democratic/horizontal relationship.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuend View Post
I spent a day with my mother and sister and they didn't get my comments at all. I'm willing to blame my own lack of humor here, but maybe it just comes down to difference in what is funny

I know I grew up in an environment where I didn't think I was funny. I was even told as a child by an adult "you're not funny". I guess I should mention I don't think myself funny but rather consider my comments to in best case give people something to make funny of. I'm trying to allow an atmosphere where people feel ok being funny in their own way
People can be funny for different reasons though? For example, sarcasm typically only benefits the person using it. It seems your effort to be accepting might be unappreciated in that context.

Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-August-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
Cheeseumpuffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
What if she just doesn't want you joking that way? She is your mum after all, typically a non-equal/democratic/horizontal relationship.
Well then she can fuck off

I have no interest in dealing with my parents if they're not going to treat me like an equal. Just because I happen to exist because of them doesn't give them any power over me, as a human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
10/10 link, my friend. You're one of the good ones.
Old 16th-August-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
narcissistic
Anime Encyclopedia

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I swear a lot around familiar people, and I try keep my mouth clean around strangers (act polite).

It's not that I care if I swear to strangers, it's more so those strangers are more likely to avoid me if I do swear/ act rude which leads to a lack of friends.

My Tumblr!
My Steam!
narcissistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-August-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
Lagomorph
GPS: "Repopulating"

Random informal treatise:
Spoiler:
Profanity serves several purposes. Every society has swear words. Why? Expression is obvious, but use of profanity also reflects values and especially divergence between values of individual agents among a group. Basically, it's a categorical mechanism as well as a means of expression.

Regardless of the surface expression (anger, etc), the underlying expression is usually one of helplessness, directed at values or circumstances that we don't know how to address and/or the individuals, objects, or ideas that represent them. The message really seems completely unconscious, used when we're at a loss for words to describe our experience, because use it for all levels of organization, from ourselves and basic 1:1 interactions through the universal.

The implications of that? I'm not sure there are any, but it might be fun to think about and has me questioning whether the utility of empathy is actually more concrete, applied, and systemic than I'd previously thought. For example, one could compare circumstances when they swear to those when others do to identify divergence, with the assumption being that others not swearing when you do means they might have solutions to that circumstance that you're unaware of; a fix for that particular helplessness.

There's also the aspect of communicating helplessness. "Should I swear or shouldn't I? Should I swear openly and display part of my value structure and its associated decision tree, or should I hide it? Or should I swear internally to reinforce my own values to myself, re: a tree falling in the forest making a sound upon otherwise deaf ears? Or should I do something more complex and swear under my breath, sending a more covert message that serves a different function than its overt alternative while also potentially poviding a different kind of self-reinforcement as well?" And of course there are alternatives to swearing. Some people punch walls, stab desks, or grit their teeth, for example.

There are emotions associated with these options because we're open to feedback/reward/punishment from peers based on their structures; i.e. we're judged based on the circumstances under which we are helpless. This is why we act differently based on circumstances and why those who are socially or emotionally stunted in one aspect or another are often wrongly labelled as uncaring, rude, etc. The options we choose differentiate our peer environments to the extent that we can comfortably access our full range of expression; self-design by repelling dissimilar peers and consequently bonding with those who remain. This reduces our vulnerability, and after dissimilar peers are repelled, continuing does so without increasing the vulnerability of others.

Yet paradoxically, this same self-design process where others are repelled might prevent us from discovering unknown solutions, as mentioned earlier.

A correlated age-related increased openness to swearing would support this, and be individually productive, as individuals grow into more complex social structures over time. The first stage following discovery would be increased use, followed by reactive refinement based on feedback and the formation of progressively more complex decision trees, and then finally the step that the majority don't take: proactive exploration, which would allow for the greatest expression of agency and probably, say, greater feelings of meaning and being stemming from being more comfortable with your place in the world and ability to function in it.
Lagomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-August-2016, 09:40 PM   #17
Seteleechete
Never lie to yourself

unknownfirefox

I prefer not to swear. I see it as distracting and detracting when holding an debate or reasoning something out(including internally within my own mind). Also swearing is emotional and I generally prefer not to be, if I swear(with some significance in the negative emotional department) I see it as a clear sign that I should calm down and reevaluate my position.

I do occasionally use swear phrases if I think it best fits the context but as this is not generally loaded with significant emotion I don't consider it swearing. I also don't mind swearing in an elational context.
Old 2nd-October-2016, 02:21 AM   #18
Joe13414
A negative, morbid and witty person.

unknownsafari

I'll swear in front of everybody if I feel that they won't get mad, and honestly, its becoming a habit, like in front of a stranger I dropped my bike and yelled "Oh, Shit-Fuck!" I personally think swears are just another word that shouldn't affect people in any form, shape or way.
Joe13414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-December-2016, 07:21 PM   #19
hogarth
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I feel very uncomfortable cussing in front of people who I don't know very well. Somehow, it's just awkward...then again, I tend to speak in a somewhat formal and stilted manner with those people, so more relaxed, colloquial, and casual speech doesn't come naturally - and profanity falls into that category.

With people who I know extremely well, colorful language does an excellent job of livening up the conversation and expressing things clearly.
hogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-December-2016, 07:35 PM   #20
Mustafa

macossafari

Cursing and anger is the same. They tax your reserves and provides you a drugged preformance. It is a tool. Stronger tools, external, cause weaker internal motivation. Depriving you of free will.

Edit: Sorry, addition. Anger and cursing CAN tax your reserves. After crossing a certain thershold, you become an 'angry warrior'. If you minimize your anger and cursing, you become a 'peaceful warrior'.

Peace
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-December-2016, 10:23 PM   #21
Rixus
The experiment requires that you continue

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I did used to feel uncomfortable swearing. Being raised to believe it was a sign of a poor vocabulary. But now? Fuck it. There are times and places, obviously. And sometimes I think a good euphemism would be funnier and/or more appropriate for the situation or conversation. But I'm not afraid to or uncomfortable with it.

I do find where swearing comes from a fascinating subject though. My favourite there has to be "cunt". It comes from the same place as "cute", when in about 1300 a writer described a woman's vaj as being "the queynte" - or small and pleasing thing. It became a common euphemism and the pronunciation and spelling changed a little. By Shakespeare's time it was an unspeakable curse. Which is just funny that when someone calls you one, just, "yes, I am cute."

Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-December-2016, 10:33 PM   #22
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I came from an intense Christian cultural background and generally also liked to control perceptions people had of me so I had avoided using overtly colorful spoken language. When I started participating a lot online about ten years ago, my friends would make fun at me at using asterisks in my swear words online.

At some point I left that physical environment and mindset and now swear quite a bit casually in writing, although not nearly as much in spoken language -- it depends on who I am with. When I'm alone, I swear a lot if I talk to myself.

Two of my friends at work (from our private conversations) drew me an "F-bomb Queen" award one day when our lead really pissed me off. I was dropping the bomb in our cube discussion without even realizing it, since I normally avoid that kind of thing at work lest I be overheard. workplace swearing = no no

In general, personally, I'm more interested in intent of language rather than the specifics, although they aren't necessarily 100% separable. Context matters. But swears can be pretty colorful and creative. I'd say my Scottish and Australian friends have the best swears, they put me to shame with their ingenuity.

In the United States, "cunt" is actually pretty vulgar and tends to be heard in the literal sense. I hadn't realized how casually it is used by some other countries and so doesn't meant quite the same in terms of intensity, so now it's not as bothersome to me although not a word that comes naturally to me.

I don't think "cursing" and "anger" are nearly the same nor have the same level of emotional discharge. You can curse without expending energy / angry energy, and it's the anger that is the issue, not the words you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I feel very uncomfortable cussing in front of people who I don't know very well. Somehow, it's just awkward...then again, I tend to speak in a somewhat formal and stilted manner with those people, so more relaxed, colloquial, and casual speech doesn't come naturally - and profanity falls into that category.

With people who I know extremely well, colorful language does an excellent job of livening up the conversation and expressing things clearly.
Kind of along those lines, I don't like stirring up needless shit with people or building animosity by accident, so if I don't know how they'll take vulgarity, I just avoid it until I get to know them better.

Needless to say, I avoid swearing around my sweet little 73-year-old xian mom.
Old 22nd-December-2016, 12:33 AM   #23
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-December-2016, 12:45 AM   #24
Mustafa

macossafari

You can say: Fucking hell! With exclamation mark. And curse at the devil, he want (she) you to as he is playful. But you can't curse at Gods, and get angry. Like it doesn't fit to say: Fucking jusus let alone Allah, they are not playful and they are serious, they don't want you to curse at them.

If you curse without getting angry, that's because you're passive agressive. I'm afraid of that, but i think women can be. They are allowed. Its not cute when a woman gets angry and curses, she has to keep that private.

Peace
Old 22nd-December-2016, 07:30 AM   #25
Rixus
The experiment requires that you continue

windows_xp_2003safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post

Once in a while?
(Dubious)

Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-December-2016, 10:04 PM   #26
Mustafa

macossafari

Be a gentleman dude. Of course women respect themselves. Theres a difference between a clean woman and a whore. Whores throw themselves after men. They seperate and distinguish themselves. The rest of the women are good, and their allowed to lose it sometimes. Women are not men like you. Women Ninjas known as Kunoichi didn't fight like male Ninjas did, they more spied and gathered intelligence, silently, if anything.
Old 22nd-December-2016, 10:36 PM   #27
davidintp
Redshirt

linuxsafari

What is the benefit of swearing?
davidintp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd-December-2016, 10:59 PM   #28
Mustafa

macossafari

Gives you acces to hidden energy. But good people don't swear curse, they live on vegetables, their heroes.
Old 13th-January-2017, 04:20 PM   #29
Niclmaki
Disturber of the Peace

macossafari

I pretty much never swear. I can't remember the last time I swore actually. I'll write "damn" pretty nonchalantly though (for a humourous effect). But never speak it.

I was told swearing was bad when I was a kid, none of my friends swore, and I had no real desire to. I remember shocking my teachers near to death when I said, "queer" but I used it in its original meaning of just odd or strange.

I guess I just never learned to swear.
Niclmaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 09:08 PM   #30
nanook
a scream in a vortex

I label people in ways that other people deem inappropriate, because all that matters to me is the abstract principle and not to which extend it is actually embodied. I am especially not interested in comparing a behavior to some irrelevant historical standard, such as that established by the nazis of ww2. A holocaust is a holocaust, whether its jews or chicken. Investment opportunities are mass murder. Capitalism is the marriage of conspiracy and corruption. People are corporate pigs, nazis, psychopaths.

I even label people when i am not judging them at all. Human beings are just apes, that is a fact and i mean nothing by it. The leader of a group is the alpha animal. We are also deluded, ignorant and project a lot, so we are basically psychotic. Also fat is a disease (because in our culture it originates form toxic foods) and any excess of it, such as a double chin is mighty ugly. I just say it like it is and other people act all offended, thereby exhibiting projection of their own aggressive judgements. "I must be better than i am, therefore labeling me according to my nature must be an offense."

Apart from this, my swearing is rather rare and harmless and usually not more creative than shit and damn.

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote