INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Websites of Interest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th-August-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default why is there no propper dating site?

proper as in FREE, and you can message people, they can reply, no messages are censored....

i mean for fucks sake. (literally, if you want).

how old is the internet???

why don't we have a proper non centralised social network, where a profile can be set up to serve any need the user wishes, from being a blog like thing, to a friends-network, to a sex-dating thing, to a professional portofolio, where everyone can host several profiles for different purposes, profiles that connect automatically with profiles of equal purpose and with compatible attributes (interests, personality types, locations etc), of course you can add friendships on top of automatic connections....

and international!

i can't believe this is taking so long.

it's as if people love to be isolated, trapped in superficial dishonest random relationships where they are too paranoid to show anything but a mask (facebook), instead of being well connected in a meaning full way.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Why don't you start one up?

You'll no doubt find that it takes a lot of time and effort and would probably want paying for the awesome thing you have given the world. ^^
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

what a perfect american "if it's not real, let's not think about it, somebody else make it real first, or i don't even want to hear about it" answer. somebody needs to get his N refreshed.

the non-exitance of such a network is certainly not explained by a lack of time and effort and paying or technical intelligence because all of those things are happening in every single endeavor out there, what's missing miraculously is intelligent design. people are doing it all, but they are doing it wrong, giving effort and intelligence to the wrong projects. on purpose i suspect. are people evil and stupid, are their souls sold to the devil before they do anything at all?

if so, i can hardly change that. if i was one of those thousands of guys who have the skills and guts and patience and ambition to create something big, and i did the right thing, and i did it RIGHT, the world would reject it, wouldn't it? if it didn't, surely we would have it RIGHT already, somebody would have created it? if the conditions are right, manifestation occurs. so what's wrong with the conditions? why can't we have nice things? why doesn't the world want to be connected in a meaningful way? is it, because most people are ethnocentric pricks who enjoy their masks and their imprisonment?
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
skip
Sock connoisseur
 
skip's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern California.
Posts: 302
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Isn't that called Facebook?
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

facebook intentionally limits it possibilities. for instance, it's not even possible to seek out people who share your interest, unless they are already in a group you are in (doesn't even work for all groups) and you have to guess the interests, can't explore the interests that are out there. it's not possible to explore people in your town in intelligent manner, you just get a random sample.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Firstly, I am not American.

Secondly, the precise reason it does not exist is because you are relying on others to create it. Not having the the guts or skill to execute something are not really good enough excuses to use when moaning about the none existence of ones "realistic" ideals.

The idiom "if you want something done right, do it yourself" comes to mind.

[edit]

grr... editing posts FTL

Facebook has changed a hell of a lot since it first started. Initially, current limitations were not there and have been added in for either public safety or legal reasons. There are some that have been added in for more seedy reasons too but... meh
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

imagine you wanted to buy some DMT, and with a mouse click you can see all people (anonymous profiles) of people in your town who digg DMT. that would be a social network. i wonder if there are hard laws, secret agency interests or the like who make sure, that a true social network can't happen ...
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Secondly, the precise reason it does not exist is because you are relying on others to create it.
lmao, i can't believe you try to tell me that nonsense for a second time.

really, fucking listen to yourself. "listen everyone, it's nanooks fault, that this network doesn't exist, if you don't like it, let's all just hate nanook, collectively"

lmao

i shall psycho analyse you, it might bring me closer to understanding why people are against such a network. clearly you are against it, because you like to avoid inquiring into the true reasons of why it's not happening and invent some bogus myth instead, about how it's all nanooks fault.
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
imagine you wanted to buy some DMT, and with a mouse click you can see all people (anonymous profiles) of people in your town who digg DMT. that would be a social network. i wonder if there are hard laws, secret agency interests or the like who make sure, that a true social network can't happen ...
There are, which is why there was that big alert about privacy settings being altered a couple of years back.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
lmao, i can't believe you try to tell me that nonsense for a second time.

really, fucking listen to yourself. "listen everyone, it's nanooks fault, that this network doesn't exist, if you don't like it, let's all just hate nanook, collectively"

lmao

i shall psycho analyse you, it might bring me closer to understanding why people are against such a network. clearly you are against it, because you like to avoid inquiring into the true reasons of why it's not happening and invent some bogus myth instead, about how it's all nanooks fault.
Imagine for a second that loads of people think what you are thinking. Who would be left to create it?

the idiom still stands as you said, it appears to be lacking something you desire.

To say what I am saying is nonsense is rather silly as it's perfectly logical. Just because you lack the skill to do it does not mean it is impossible.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
nanook
a scream in a vortex
 
nanook's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: germany
Posts: 1,747
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
imagine for a second that loads of people think what you are thinking. Who would be left to create it?
you mean, if they would think that it would be rejected or outlawed and therefore not even try. but i'm not actually "thinking" that, in the sense of such a thought being a part of my motivations. i am merely hypothesizing about how other people might think. my motivations (and thus actions) exist around my skills (and are limited by those) and my own subjective visions, very introverted. if i had the skills, as unlikely as it sounds, i would simply do it, because i tend to do things in a trial and error manner and find out why they are impossible on the way. so, if people would go about thinks the way i do, and given that they do have the skills, which they do, they would not abandon the possibility, before they had tried it. but they seem to have abandoned it. so either they have different goals (they don't appreciate the trial and error approach) - which is why i must assume, that they don't really want to see a change, really hard, hard enough to just risk what needs to be risked, which is essentially giving up the known world and discovering a whole new world ... or plenty of them have tried, to some degree, maybe just played it through in their mind, and found out why it doesn't work or came to the conclusion it wouldn't (for reasons i don't know), well then tell me ...
__________________
synthesis achieved
ready for abduction
Spoiler:

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
you mean, if they would think that it would be rejected or outlawed and therefore not even try. but i'm not actually "thinking" that, in the sense of such a thought being a part of my motivations. i am merely hypothesizing about how other people might think. my motivations (and thus actions) exist around my skills (and are limited by those) and my own subjective visions, very introverted. if i had the skills, as unlikely as it sounds, i would simply do it, because i tend to do things in a trial and error manner and find out why they are impossible on the way. so, if people would actually think like me, and given that they do have the skills, they would not abandon the possibility, before they had tried it. but they seem to have abandoned it. so either they think differently (don't appreciate the trial and error approach) - which is why i must assume, that they don't really want to see a change, really hard, hard enough to just risk needs to be risked, essentially giving up the known world and discovering a whole new world ... or plenty of them have tried and found out why it doesn't work, well then tell me ...
Facebook started off as an academic exclusive site. It offered similar things to what you talk about albeit in a very limited manner. As its popularity grew, new things were added and all was fine and dandy.

When they dropped the academic members only and allowed public access internationally, many problems arose. In certain countries, the site actually breached governmental law and had to be adjusted to accommodate them. This brought in limitations into what could and couldn't be revealed to other users.

Then you had issues with paedophiles and false accounts that breached the trust of other members. You also had politically motivated riots organised like the one in the UK last year.

One of the main issues with these websites is that it allows for false accounts to be created. This is because the Internet is the anonymous user's domain. Everything can be fabricated and many (not all) can fall for it just like a lot did with XIII on this forum.

You don't for example actually know what I look like, where I am from, what age or sex I am other than what I have advertised. You won't know some of them until you actually meet me.

What you ask for brakes down this anonymous barrier that many hold dear to the Internet. It could only truly be achieved in this day and age by the use of some intrusive policing system. Something that the majority do not want.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
NinjaSurfer
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

www.plentyoffish.com ???
NinjaSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
AureliaSeverina
nice kitty
 
AureliaSeverina's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 141
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Yeah, everyone who isn't as subjective and introverted as you is crazy or evil.
You're the only one who's complaining, so why should anyone else do something about this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
The idiom "if you want something done right, do it yourself" comes to mind.
I'll second that.

Go on and add me to the list of all those who hate nanook. And psychoanalyze me as well, please, I can always use a good laugh.
AureliaSeverina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

One thing I would like to know is how does the fact that it is free qualify it to be proper?
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
AureliaSeverina
nice kitty
 
AureliaSeverina's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 141
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
One thing I would like to know is how does the fact that it is free qualify it to be proper?
Hum.... because people should work for free for the betterment of humanity. Obviously we'd all be better off if everyone could find a 'proper date' on a 'proper' dating site, because we wouldn't have to listen to people complaining?

Anyway, what I'd like to know is why a site that offers business connections, a friend finder tool, dating adds, blogs and the opportunity to find out who's looking for what drug* ......... why it should be called a 'dating' site?

*unless DMT refers to Dublin Mean Time, which was abolished in 1916. So if you were to use Dublin Mean Time to fix a date with Mr Proper (the German name of Mr Clean), there might be confusion. [/tangent]
AureliaSeverina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
intpz
Banned
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,570
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

I remember taking a test on okcupid.com, I think it's a free dating site.
intpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th-August-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
Hawkeye
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Schmocation
Posts: 2,425
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intpz View Post
I remember taking a test on okcupid.com, I think it's a free dating site.
The best question I saw on there was something like "if your partner asks you to act out a sexual rape scene with them, would you?"

It then asked how important your opinion was on the matter, along with theirs...
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
intpz
Banned
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,570
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

So just look through the girls in your neighborhood and see who's descriptions you like and who's not. That's what I would do anyway.
intpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard
 
Cognisant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,904
macossafari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
why don't we have a proper non centralised social network, where a profile can be set up to serve any need the user wishes, from being a blog like thing, to a friends-network, to a sex-dating thing, to a professional portofolio, where everyone can host several profiles for different purposes, profiles that connect automatically with profiles of equal purpose and with compatible attributes (interests, personality types, locations etc), of course you can add friendships on top of automatic connections....
So a mass media consolidated network profile?

That's not a bad idea...

I think Google's trying to do that, if they wanted to take all my money and tell everyone who knows me that I'm dead, via a reputable source, they could do it
__________________
Deadlier, Sillier and more Perverted.
Cognisant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
intpz
Banned
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,570
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

I find social networks like Facebook and Google+ funny in a way: some people are debating if they should add their boss.
intpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-August-2012, 02:50 AM   #22
PhoenixRising
nyctophiliac
 
PhoenixRising's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 726
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

My degree was in web design, they actually covered this topic. The reason social networking and dating sites are segregated is because social networking sites have a lot of 13-17 year olds on them, and most (if not all) dating sites make you confirm that you are 18+ to sign up. Not to say that there couldn't be a networking site that includes dating and business, but it would have to exclude people under 18. Truth be told, most people consider social networking to be a teenager-dominated hobby, so networking sites aim to be as all-inclusive as possible.
__________________
"I know no answer. Live; the unavoidable decides." ~ Carl Jung

Spoiler:

PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
Fukyo
blurb blurb
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,325
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post

why don't we have a proper non centralised social network, where a profile can be set up to serve any need the user wishes, from being a blog like thing, to a friends-network, to a sex-dating thing, to a professional portofolio, where everyone can host several profiles for different purposes, profiles that connect automatically with profiles of equal purpose and with compatible attributes (interests, personality types, locations etc), of course you can add friendships on top of automatic connections....

It's only a matter of time before such a merger happens.

Just look at the state of consumer technology, the definitions of computer, camera, phone, etc and getting blurrier and blurrier by the day as we see the advent of smarter and smarter smartphones, Nikon releases a camera running Android, Microsoft's next OS being tailored for tablets.


That said, there are other reasons why such a merger isn't happening, as usual monetary interests are a strong factor, but so is the fact legislature on internet privacy is trailing behind the cloud. It's incriminating to have your professional portfolio linked to your social networking account, not to mention for your dating profile to be exposed to potential employers. It's even a matter of how clean and saintly you are, it's about how entitled the companies are to choose.
__________________
wake up sheeple
Fukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-August-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Kuu
Dolphins for Putin
 
Kuu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A world half empty
Posts: 3,215
macossafari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

How about this
__________________
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do Asimov

Spoiler:
Kuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-August-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
H1N1
Banned
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
windows_vistasafari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
proper as in FREE, and you can message people, they can reply, no messages are censored....

i mean for fucks sake. (literally, if you want).

how old is the internet???

why don't we have a proper non centralised social network, where a profile can be set up to serve any need the user wishes, from being a blog like thing, to a friends-network, to a sex-dating thing, to a professional portofolio, where everyone can host several profiles for different purposes, profiles that connect automatically with profiles of equal purpose and with compatible attributes (interests, personality types, locations etc), of course you can add friendships on top of automatic connections....

and international!

i can't believe this is taking so long.

it's as if people love to be isolated, trapped in superficial dishonest random relationships where they are too paranoid to show anything but a mask (facebook), instead of being well connected in a meaning full way.
Your last paragraph really got me. Really got me. The real irony is the fact that you're contradicting your own statements. Isolated, trapped in a relationship, etc.. . Perhaps it is because I cannot relate to your anger on this matter, but I don't quite understand your issue. You don't want to have to pay to meet someone with similar interests? Have you never heard of internet forums
(clearly you've ) or perhaps meetup.com. Just a couple of suggestions. Most all forums are free and I can assure you that meetup.com is as well. The real problem is that you don't want to have to do the work of "finding" someone that you connect with. You want some logarithm to do it for you, or at least to make the wading pool that is dating a little smaller. Another suggestion: try going out and meeting someone. Most relationships are more meaningful when they're not based around some cyber site.

Of course my perceptions are my own and not that of yours, so what to you is being connected in a meaningful way? You've got my curiosity all piqued!
H1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-August-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
prometheuswinked
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Have you heard of www.projectevolove.com? It's a new dating site.

I have been obsessed with this site ever since I discovered it 3 days ago. It's still in beta version. The INTP section on that site is clearly written by an INTP. Props.
prometheuswinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-August-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 7,713
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuswinked View Post
Have you heard of www.projectevolove.com? It's a new dating site.

I have been obsessed with this site ever since I discovered it 3 days ago. It's still in beta version. The INTP section on that site is clearly written by an INTP. Props.
It has a great concept, though I don't think MBTI, or maybe even Enneagram should be applied like that. They're marketing assumptions basically.

Also forcing people to choose an instinct stacking and MBTI type upon joining makes no sense. It's just perpetuating the problem of personality and pop-psyche quick reads.
__________________


Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-August-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
prometheuswinked
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

It is prone to being misused, but I believe this site is actually pretty accurate in its descriptions. I have spent some time analyzing the validity of using Enneagrams instincts to determine interpersonal compatibility after I stumbled upon the site. I looked at my past girlfriends instincts stackings (yes, I am an INTP with a dating history) and I read about how the interaction is supposed to play out according to the site. It seems like this is the closest matchmaking algorithm that is available online. I'm not saying this is sacred science, rather just the closest approximation thus far.
prometheuswinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-September-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
MsAnthropy_Indefatigably
The Black One
 
MsAnthropy_Indefatigably's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 249
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

OK Cupid!!! That's a completely free site set up by Match.com but allows you to say and write whatever you please (if they haven't changed it). You can contact people right away if they are willing to give you that info. It also has thousands of questions you will either find fun to answer or incessant--depending on your particular brand of narcissism. i LOVE answering questions. And the more questions you answer the more they process info to find you a match based on your answers and the info you provide. I found my current boyfriend there. We've been dating 6 months (and i love him, which is weird for me, lol) and i've even gotten someone else i know to try the site and he found someone he really liked too!

i'm not a fix-her-upper....lol but I like sharing things that work. Ok Cupid seems to.
__________________
Meloncholy is the pleasure of being sad. -Victor Hugo

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-October-2012, 03:53 AM   #30
CronusEtzel
Redshirt
 
CronusEtzel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 8
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

POf.Com and OkCupid.Com are im my opinion the best free dating sites. They both offer great features (especially okcupid that matches you with others based on test based answers). I've tried them both myself, there's a few others they mentioned in the article http://lonerwolf.com/dating-an-introvert/ which could be useful to try.
CronusEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-October-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
logical-lover
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

I agree completely with Nanook's point! That is why I started my own Myers-Briggs based social networking website called, MBFriends com. I started it about six weeks ago and its currently up to 200 members. So, I hope this site can help out MBTI community because we need something other than Facebook to converse on.
logical-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-October-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
xomtrosv
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

thank all pro....!
xomtrosv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-October-2012, 03:22 AM   #33
prometheuswinked
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

POF is far too ghetto for my taste. Seriously, check out www.projectevolove.com, it's not popular yet but its concept is the best of them all.
prometheuswinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd-January-2013, 05:02 AM   #34
rattymat
Member
 
rattymat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 139
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Despite what a couple people have said here, don't even bother with evoloveproject.com. I made that mistake and it is seriously underwhelming to an upsetting degree. It has terribly basic and arbitrary distinctions between "social" "sexual" and "secure," combined with MBTI and NO bisexual options (or asexual for that matter). A 50-250 mile search range only. And absolutely no questions to create a more complex matching algorithm. Enough said.
rattymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-January-2013, 10:29 PM   #35
prometheuswinked
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

I've been using Project EvoLove for a while now since my last post...Don't listen to what the above user said. If something is truth, then it should be simple and intuitive. Ultimately, truth is derived from basic principles that can be extrapolated to further manifestations. The secure, sexual, and social instincts do just that. It looks at people from inside out (from the metaphysical to the physical), rather than outside in (by making generalizations based on observations).

I've correlated my past dating experiences with the psychology, and it is astoundingly accurate. I suggest you test it in the world before you dismiss it.
prometheuswinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-January-2013, 11:20 PM   #36
joal0503
Psychedelic INTP
 
joal0503's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 701
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

wait a second...there are services and people out there dedicating their careers to exploit and profit off of the insecurities of human relationships?!?! no way!
__________________


say know to drugs, children.
joal0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-January-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
rrgjl
Rawr
 
rrgjl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 51
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

It's funny, I was actually debating this same thing with my dad last night.
I have some experience with web development, and I find it hard to imagine that a website that allows you to create a profile with some text, add some pictures, and then have a search functionality to search through these same variables is that complicated or time consuming to create. Especially once it's done there's just some maintenance, and still they charge these preposterous amounts. I do think it's really exploiting and profiting off of the loneliness of others And one could probably also be quite succesful with a cheaper alternative. Although I must say OKCupid is a good platform, or a good start at least. It wouldn't even have to be free to me, as long as the amount is reasonable.
rrgjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-January-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead
 
Jennywocky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charn
Posts: 9,837
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheuswinked View Post
I've been using Project EvoLove for a while now since my last post...Don't listen to what the above user said. If something is truth, then it should be simple and intuitive. Ultimately, truth is derived from basic principles that can be extrapolated to further manifestations. The secure, sexual, and social instincts do just that. It looks at people from inside out (from the metaphysical to the physical), rather than outside in (by making generalizations based on observations).

I've correlated my past dating experiences with the psychology, and it is astoundingly accurate. I suggest you test it in the world before you dismiss it.
So basically it just mixes your enneagram variant instinct(s) + your MBTI type. it seems to be assuming that I attract other people with the same variant lead, and/or someone with my instinctual variants reversed. So far, it's not really rocket science.

I'm looking over the site. One of my problems in using variants is that not only are the pairings kind of limited (there's only three variants, and six possible combos of two variants), but since it is self-reporting, we're going to see a lot of false reads. For one, the Sexual variant is always glamorous to people who don't understand it. This site has no way to objectively quiz people to "test" their self-selections and triangulate a type.

I thought this line under Sexual-Secures was amusing:
Quote:
Their ideal partners are the , , and. Further information can be found under the “In Relationships” tab. Sexual-Secures often have the Personality Types of INFJ, INTP, INTJ, INFP, INTP, and ENFJ.
Yes, INTPs are SO likely to be Sexual-Secures that we are listed twice.
__________________
... My toast is dark and full of terrors.
Jennywocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-March-2013, 08:36 PM   #39
prometheuswinked
Redshirt
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 12
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

It is funny that you say the Sexual variant is "glamorizing". I would guess that you either have a primary or secondary sexual instinct, because some people say the sexual instinct is stigmatizing.

All the INTPs I know are Sexual-socials or sexual-secures. The sexual instinct for INTPs tend to be channeled into intellectual pursuits rather than physical (eg. sex) pursuits.
prometheuswinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-March-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
travelnjones
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 199
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

what is the money part of it is actually key to dating. An Auction based dating site would probably do better at connecting meaningful relationship lol.
travelnjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th-July-2013, 11:54 AM   #41
spoirier
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Posts: 111
linuxfirefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Since long ago I already designed the plan of how to make a really good free and decentralized online dating network. Well I did not disclose the last specification, which I did not completely write yet, but all I need is good web developers willing to make it, and this is what I unfortunately could not find.
If I did not disclose the last spec it's because the dating function would only come later, as an optional additional functionality among others on top of a more general system which I did publicly describe and which can already become popular, even without the dating function.

But it does not matter how good my ideas are, anyway programmers are usually so busy that I cannot catch their attention and make them start a debate about it. I commented about my difficulties to catch people's attention there. :(
spoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-July-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
vol
Redshirt
 
vol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13
macossafari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

To make project like that you need front-end webdeveloper (html, javascript, css), backend-developer (php + sql database) and graphic. Portal like that is at least one month project. Even in cheap countries this kind of job is paid about 2000US$/month, so you need 6-10k$ to start it.

Everybody in web/mobile market have an idea for product. But in today Internet we have a flood of everything so marketing is even more important than product itself (I'm in mobile game buisness and marketing makes all the revenue. No marketing, no downloads, no money).

As I saw on your website you don't have a real mockup - you need a proper designer too.

Idea itsefl - as contrary to popular beliefs - is nothing today.

"Idea + money" or "idea + skills to make it happen + connections" is everything.

--------

I wonder if you'd spend 20-100k $ to make this kind of dating site, how you'd make monetization system that'd compensate the spendings.

--------

Deal with it - programers that know how to code, rather code for someone else FOR MONEY, or they have ideas of their own. They don't need ideas.

--------

To be honest when programmers hear "I have an idea" they litrally start laughing. It's a joke to them. I saw this kind of situation more than once...
vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-August-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
spoirier
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Posts: 111
linuxfirefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

"marketing is even more important than product itself"

You didn't get what kind of project I have.

Usually there are "a lot of ideas" but more precisely it is just a lot of bullshit ideas.
All projects that are done are bullshit. So of course a lot of marketing is necessary to have a bullshit adopted over another bullshit.
But the difference is that I really have the best idea,
But my problem is to convince programmers that the problem will not be to convince the public.
Because to convince the public there will be all the necessary functions... once done. Because it will be working well enough.
People will come because it will not just be a dating site, but a general system with other very useful functions first, to communicate online, to which a dating function will be added later.
But as long as it's not done, my problem is that I cannot catch a programmer's attention to make him understand how good will be my project - since it cannot be effectively tested yet.

Of course I understand you cannot guess that my project will really be much better than others. Because, most usually, ideas are just usual ideas, just as bad as other usual ideas.
it needs detailed explanations. A discussion we did not make yet.

Ultimately my project will include a worldwide political revolution and the best money system that will make all existing currencies obsolete. So money there will be.
The problem is to explain that to lazy minded programmers that prefer to waste their life doing bullshit than to bother spending a few hours understanding what the best project is.
spoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 03:10 PM   #44
vol
Redshirt
 
vol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13
macossafari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

"But the difference is that I really have the best idea,"

Everyone thinks that their ideas are the best. You have nothing to prove that. I should stop reading your post right here...

I recommand reading THIS. I know it's about games, but more than that it's about any ideas in IT market (it just happens most often in the game industry):

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Adria...body_Cares.php

"Ultimately my project will include a worldwide political revolution and the best money system that will make all existing currencies obsolete. So money there will be.
The problem is to explain that to lazy minded programmers that prefer to waste their life doing bullshit than to bother spending a few hours understanding what the best project is."

What are you, 8?

But OK, I will try to respond to this...

What you just wrote is absurd (if you think that one website will have a world-impact and that you can predict it's success that easly you're delusional), but if you are THAT CONVINCED it is the best solution that will 100000% make revenue, without even marketing (which is bullshit and shows how little you know about IT market), why instead of calling programmers "lazy", you stop being lazy yourself and learn how to code?

I bet you don't have any experience in IT field. Otherwise you wouldn't make such absurd statements and calling programmers lazy is just disrespectfull.

-----------------------------------------------

I'll try to convert your idea from IT field to a food-industry:

It's like you want to find a chef to start a restaurant with you, but all you've got is an idea for a cookie (not even a real recipe) and all you've got to prove that it will be tasty is your words. But guess what? Chefs don't work for free based on a promise. If chef have a time and resources to start his own restaurant, he doesn't need your idea, he's got plenty of his own recipes, based on YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, so his recipes are more likely to work.

To this chef you're just a funny guy who thinks that he can design the best restaurant because he know how to boil a water for tea.
vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 04:06 PM   #45
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker
 
Hadoblado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,232
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Spoirier, I suggest you listen to Vol. I have no opinion of your ideas, you seem intelligent, but... sheltered and frustrated?

You could have the best idea in the world, but using your current approach has availed you nothing, and will continue to do so. You seem to talk about other people and their comprehension of your idea as if you understand why they don't, but if that were the case, you wouldn't continue with this approach.

That article Vol linked was actually very good. While it's great that you have a website dedicated to your ideas, perhaps you should consider a more marketable approach, such as writing a book? There are so many poor ideas that get published, surely a great one would have less difficulty?
__________________
Spoiler:

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 04:47 PM   #46
spoirier
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Posts: 111
linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post
You could have the best idea in the world, but using your current approach has availed you nothing, and will continue to do so.
Sorry I already did all the best I could, as I convinced hundreds of people many years ago that my ideas were the right ones. But they did nothing about it, they did not repeat the news. What can I do ?
I am not negative, for many years I had a very positive approach and I convinced many people.
But my huge positivity was cancelled by the huge negativity of everybody, that are, in fact, not interested in how to make the world better.
Then I conclude that it's not my problem, after all.
It's people's problems.
Since in fact they don't want things to go better, that's their problem.
Now if you think you know how is it possible to convince others, then what are you waiting for ?
Go and convince others that they should implement my project, as you know how you can convince them.
Please don't pretend I should do it myself. Because I already did much more than my part, I've been positive all I could.
Go try yourself to convince people in the "positive" way you think is needed, and then you will discover yourself, maybe, that in fact, what you think I "just need" to do, and that I actually did, cannot suffice.
I am fed up of being made guilty for the negativity of others.
And please visit this report I made of the situation,
Thanks.
spoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 05:23 PM   #47
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead
 
Jennywocky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charn
Posts: 9,837
windows_98_nt_2000ie
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?



Well, I'll say that good ideas have come and gone and many people have them; but only the ideas that are translatable into real life (and actually get translated into real life by a practical, pragmatic process) become manifest.

The "I'm a misunderstood genius" argument just gets no mileage, unless you're independently wealthy; and at that point, it's the money talking.

If you have an idea you believe in beyond all other things, then never quit. Learn how to code yourself and do whatever it takes to actualize it. If you don't care THAT much about it, then find something else to pursue and invest accordingly.

I'm really in alignment with the idea being expressed here, that those who can "do" actually are already doing (for themselves) or are earning money doing for others... unless you're in a philanthropy, a ministry, or on "The Following." It's just how the world works. Getting bitter about it just derails your own life, no one else's.
__________________
... My toast is dark and full of terrors.
Jennywocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 05:31 PM   #48
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker
 
Hadoblado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,232
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

It's not my idea, and it's not my area of expertise. I am woefully unqualified to make grand statements about which ideas should or should not be actualised.

Here is my criticism:

Your intentions/intelligence dichotomy is false. There are a bloody lot of people out there who are both capable of comprehending your idea, and, if in agreement with it, would spend their time in propagation of it. Many people like doing things that they believe make the world a better place, this is evidenced by the existence of charities and volunteer work. Many people are intelligent. Your explanation requires the assumption that there is a hidden factor that causes intelligent people to not have good intentions, despite yourself being an example of one.

If there exist people in the world that are both intelligent and well intentioned (there is), then either you have not been speaking to them, or somewhere in your conversation you have not managed to convey the logic or urgency of your idea. Either these people are absent, already committed to another mutually exclusive course, or uncaring.

Given that you claim that you have been talking at gatherings that would select for precisely these two factors: intelligence and idealism (who else would want to hear ideas about how to make the world a better place); it is not reasonable to assume that they have been entirely absent.

It is possible that you have been bested in attracting these sympathetic bright minds. Perhaps the guy in the next theater was offering to save the Earth twice using only a remote?

Or, a less savory but still possible conclusion is that they were unconvinced. This could be because either your idea is actually bad (again, I have no idea about this), or you are bad at communicating it. While I assume that your first language is French, the way you have worded some of your responses here smacks of that crazy conspirator feel. You made massive unsubstantiated claims and externalised all blame for the failure of your idea to change the world. From my position the miscommunication hypothesis looks promising, have you adequately explored it?

I will reiterate for clarity, I have no means or time to invest in your project, and have barely any comprehension of it at all. I have my own idea of how I want to influence the world, but even that comes second to actually understanding it. My criticism is entirely impersonal and makes no judgement about the truth value of your idea, only acting on the information that I could glean without getting my hands dirty, that is, your reported input and output of the propagation of your untested idea. Good luck.
__________________
Spoiler:

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th-August-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
Amagi82
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
 
Amagi82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 410
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

As a couple other people have mentioned, www.okcupid.com is what you're looking for (at least for dating).
__________________
Spoiler:
Amagi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th-August-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
spoirier
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Posts: 111
windows_xp_2003firefox
Default Re: why is there no propper dating site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post
It's not my idea, and it's not my area of expertise. I am woefully unqualified to make grand statements about which ideas should or should not be actualised.

Here is my criticism:

Your intentions/intelligence dichotomy is false. There are a bloody lot of people out there who are both capable of comprehending your idea, and, if in agreement with it, would spend their time in propagation of it. Many people like doing things that they believe make the world a better place, this is evidenced by the existence of charities and volunteer work.
Charities are an evidence that there are people with good intentions, but not that they are ready to develop a global and scientific understanding of problems as I see needed.

Quote:
Many people are intelligent.
Yeah but usually not the same ones.
Well okay you will point out the case of medical charities full of people who both have good intentions and a high intelligence evidenced by their medical expertise. The problem remains that both qualities do not work together : they remain naive in their ideas of how to do the good. Their intelligence only develops in a specialized subject, not to the understanding of what are the problems and most needed kind of solutions; their intelligence is at the service of a naive, unintelligent plan.

Quote:
Your explanation requires the assumption that there is a hidden factor that causes intelligent people to not have good intentions, despite yourself being an example of one.
Sorry but facts are not at the service of plausible speculations.
I'm speaking about facts. The question of how plausible or implausible things may seem, cannot change the facts which I experienced. So yes I'm an example. I did not mean that examples don't exist, only that they turn out to be quite exceptional, much more than people usually assume. Then the question of how can that be, comes second, and has to adapt to the observed facts, not the other way round.

But okay, now I just had a new idea how to search for the right people.
I had just made the mistake of trying to "socialize" and follow the advice of people around, about how to find such people that I need, because they are all morons and have no clue themselves about where the right people can be found. Morons advise me to search among other morons and give me advice how I should try to explain myself to morons, since this is all what they know about. But this is all waste.
Yeah I should have decided earlier to not listen to that but directly identify and look by myself at that small minority of the right people.
Now I just had a look and didn't get an answer yet but I'm finally confident to find partners. At last. Sorry I cannot tell you more.

Apart from this I got the news of someone who since a few years undertook to take my ideas and implement them by himself under his own copyright. I'm still not afraid, as I don't think my project can get success if it is not open source.
spoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This site should have contests. OrLevitate Suggestions, Questions & Feedback 16 19th-April-2014 08:02 PM
YO! I'm New To This Site! catatonic Introductions Archive 79 12th-July-2012 09:09 AM
I love this site higs Suggestions, Questions & Feedback 19 27th-May-2012 02:30 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts