INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Psychology & Neuroscience

Old 11th-March-2016, 05:19 PM   #351
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Dreams and the Subconscious

Basic dream analysis tool: try interpreting the characters in the dream as YOU. Most of the time, they are. Sometimes they aren't.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-March-2016, 09:06 PM   #352
Nebulous
keep ur bad vibes outta my cornflakes

macossafari

All of my dreams are really weird.
I used to have horrible insomnia; I couldn't sleep at all. I would just lie in bed with my eyes closed, sort of pretending to sleep. But I would never actually fall asleep, and if I did it was just for an hour or so.
But when I did manage to fall asleep for a long time, I would have these crazy dreams. I remember most of them in detail.
There was one in particular that I've since named "The Nightmare"... Near the end of it, I was in my house (it was all broken down and had an extra wall in the hallway somehow) and I went into my room. There was this alien/monster in the wall next to my bed. This wall was closed and I couldn't see it, but I could hear it. It was doing somersaults, very slowly, and I could hear it dripping, clinking, making these horrible grinding metallic sounds, and sloshing like it was full of liquid. I left my room (in the dream still) and walked into the hallway, and in the extra wall, there was another one of the alien monsters. The wall was open and I could see it.. It didn't have any skin, or if it did it transparent. I could see its heart and lungs and veins, and with each breath the creature took, blood sort of oozed through it. I could hear dripping again, along with these horrible heaving breaths.
Then I woke up.
I was really freaked out because of the dream. I sat up, really short of breath and over all terrified. But then I realized that I could STILL HEAR THE MONSTER sounds coming from the wall right next to me! It was mainly the dripping, but there were some little metallic clicks too. The dripping was really loud, and I tried closing my eyes but it just got worse. It was terrifying.
I left my room, and walked down the hallway to the bathroom, and the sounds followed me down the entire hallway through the walls.
It finally stopped when I turned on the sink.
But yeah, that whole experience was super terrifying and I'm still partially convinced that I was visited by aliens.

From the lights to the pavement
From the van to the floor
From backstage to the doctor
From the Earth to the morgue

parents: you can be anything you want
parents: no not that
Nebulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-March-2016, 03:27 AM   #353
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die

Far more likely that monsters in the dream are "you". Plus you got real world sounds impinging on your dream state.
Old 23rd-August-2016, 01:45 AM   #354
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

So the opening scene of this dream was me in some sort of prison getting into an altercation with an armed guard, and me managing to grab his rifle and restrain him against a wall with the pressure applied on it... But with some weird sexual subtext.. He was a hot guard.

Next scene is me and some other inmates in the courtyard, where I learn that I'm a vampire and vampires and other dangerous human inmates are housed there, but us vampires are the enemies of all.

We all had these really cool blue eyes.

Then there was this huge water facility which me and some other vampires were overlooking and discussing how the water route could be an escape out.

Next scene - I'm walking through the prisons bar, yes an ACTUAL bar with a pool table and everything lol.

The bars deserted but someone comes up behind me, I turn around and its an old flame of mine. We strike some conversation about how we always bump into each other when we least expect it.

Next scene - me and some vampires making a break for it in some large trucks, but I'm struggling with mine and so this one vampire dude tells me to do something, but I'm like "I'm not strong enough to do that!" But he's like "Yes you are, you have strength remember!" So I try and it works and I'm like "oh yea!" .. Then we continue to make a get away...

I was really, really enjoying this dream but some sod woke me up for like the third time, and so that was the end of that.

Fucking cool dream. I'm gunna try and jump back into it tonight.

Reoccurring themes this last year: Internment, trucks and sex.

Weird, right.
Sinny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-September-2016, 01:33 AM   #355
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

So the other night I was dreaming about Edgar Hoover and the FBI..and the following night I dreampt about some gross and disturbing things.

I think the stuff I was reading about was the influence.
Old 6th-September-2016, 04:27 AM   #356
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die

A few days ago I dreamt I was homeless, sleeping on some kind of concrete platform with other homeless people, like a train station or truck loading dock or something. Something transportative. I woke up and I was... homeless in my car! But the dream was about a completely different kind of homeless.
Old 6th-September-2016, 05:42 AM   #357
TheAdditional1
The Pharaohs Advocate

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Sounds like a lot of Twilight/Orange is the New Black Fan Fic there, Sinny!

Or maybe Interview with a Vampire/Prison Break?

No wait - definitely Underworld/Shawshank Redemption fan fic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
So the opening scene of this dream was me in some sort of prison getting into an altercation with an armed guard, and me managing to grab his rifle and restrain him against a wall with the pressure applied on it... But with some weird sexual subtext.. He was a hot guard.

Next scene is me and some other inmates in the courtyard, where I learn that I'm a vampire and vampires and other dangerous human inmates are housed there, but us vampires are the enemies of all.

We all had these really cool blue eyes.

Then there was this huge water facility which me and some other vampires were overlooking and discussing how the water route could be an escape out.

Next scene - I'm walking through the prisons bar, yes an ACTUAL bar with a pool table and everything lol.

The bars deserted but someone comes up behind me, I turn around and its an old flame of mine. We strike some conversation about how we always bump into each other when we least expect it.

Next scene - me and some vampires making a break for it in some large trucks, but I'm struggling with mine and so this one vampire dude tells me to do something, but I'm like "I'm not strong enough to do that!" But he's like "Yes you are, you have strength remember!" So I try and it works and I'm like "oh yea!" .. Then we continue to make a get away...

I was really, really enjoying this dream but some sod woke me up for like the third time, and so that was the end of that.

Fucking cool dream. I'm gunna try and jump back into it tonight.

Reoccurring themes this last year: Internment, trucks and sex.

Weird, right.
TheAdditional1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th-September-2016, 06:00 AM   #358
TheAdditional1
The Pharaohs Advocate

windows_98_nt_2000safari

@Nebulous - [Disclaimer: My background started as Mech Eng. major/Psychology minor for a few years, before switching to Real Estate Development major and Architecture minor; I work in the construction department of a RED company, and hope to span out to RED on a more social & urban planning scale. That's the context of my response here]:

I would imagine that's the MEP (Mech/Elect/Plumbing) of your house/apartment stimulating your dreams. Kind of stating the obvious, but the HVAC (mechanical noise) + water lines would create very relevantly & symbolically contradicting elements.

The interesting thing is how your mind took those contradicting elements and manifested it as something specifically horrifying and unknown.

To draw from my own thoughts these days, there is again a contradiction between mechanical things and things more fluid. My ultimate goal in life at the moment, among other things, is social solutions - fixing the social system and culture. So I'm trying to think of social solutions through real estate development/public planning. In that light, to me mechanical = rules and 'immovable' structures of society, which often become intrinsic to the point of losing its original purpose (but it reminds the idiots how to breathe and lets them feel empowered by dictating to others how to likewise breathe), while fluidity = the projected patterns of a better world, and one more suitable to the more global and more progressive and self-sustained society of the future.

In other words, fluidity = freedom and more efficient success in a responsible world; potential of a better future. || Retroactively, dripping/water sound = fluidity; ticking = mechanical. Or structural, rather.

To return from that background-elucidating tangent, these thoughts I just shared are meant to highlight how those mechanical vs. fluidity sounds can be more symbolic of the mechanisms of these systems as a whole. I imagine many INTP's think of the world in some similar terms for another - and again both the incompatibility, and the current unknown of any solution to this incompatibility, can be very frustrating - on a subconscious & psychological level (i.e. dreams) could manifest as something horrifying and unknown - an alien monster trapped in the same structure as we are.

With the overly visceral organs that you saw - maybe this [suggested] misgivings also affect you on an existential level as well? They certainly do for me sometimes, especially when the inefficiencies of society have a very direct hindrance on my lifestyle that I'm not entirely sure will ever be fixed.

How do you think that goes to rationalizing your dream there?
TheAdditional1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th-September-2016, 04:07 AM   #359
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinny91 View Post
So the other night I was dreaming about Edgar Hoover and the FBI..and the following night I dreampt about some gross and disturbing things.

I think the stuff I was reading about was the influence.
Last week I had dream a about Operation Gladio .. Then some weird fantasy one a couple of nights ago - but I forget the details, and this morning's dream was about Brigadier General James Joy and the Waco Massacre...
Old 15th-September-2016, 04:11 AM   #360
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdditional1 View Post
Sounds like a lot of Twilight/Orange is the New Black Fan Fic there, Sinny!

Or maybe Interview with a Vampire/Prison Break?

No wait - definitely Underworld/Shawshank Redemption fan fic.
Underworld meets Prison Break
Old 22nd-September-2016, 12:57 AM   #361
Procinogen
Ě̡͉̝͈ͨ̍̒̓̚̕ď̴̻̰̳͌͑͋̀̅ͩ͞ ̻̝͙g̣̺̤̦͖̪ͩ͆ͨ͜y̎̽̀ Memelord

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I used to remember my dreams a lot, when I was younger. It's a lot harder to remember now. The dreams I can remember now are surreal, sort of. I can remember one of my dreams very vividly, though...

I'm by a cliff side. It was a very nice day, in that dream. I don't really remember the details. I then get up. I start walking toward the cliff. I try to stop myself. I can't control myself. I try to turn around, but my body doesn't redirect from its course. I try to stop my legs, but they keep moving. I keep walking forward, until I fall down... A second or two passes, then I wake up, and flinch, as if I was actually falling, and just hit the ground.

IS DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER

BUT EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS);
}
Procinogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-October-2016, 04:28 PM   #362
Pressure's Spring
PS

windows_98_nt_2000safari

There have been a few occasions where the medium of my dreams have been images of words.

Ordered essays, dialogues, and so forth. Very strange. I am able to see the words clearly (they are generally 'floating' upon a contrasting background in a structured form, as if on paper, where, there is limit to width, and the height is limitless). I retain a great deal of the information, at-least temporarily, upon wakening.

Other times, the content of my dreams, are continuations of my past experiences, for example, a social event, where the setting is indistinguishable from reality, and the dynamic generally follows the logical patterns of past inter-actions. This is pronounced when I drink.

Further, a significant number of my dreams depict beautiful sceneries; natural landscapes. Very simple and steady shots where the 'film camera' is fixed in place... My favourites.

Here's another perspective relating to dreams:

Pressure's Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st-October-2016, 08:52 PM   #363
0neKiwi
Unstable

macossafari

It's kind of nice that you get to see reality in your dreams...

...All the ones I see are quite illogical- but interesting. Like the one about people evacuating a hurricane by climbing up these balloon strings attached to the ceiling of some room(which was pretty high). It ended with the same people chasing the hurricane's waves (which were apparently in the room).

It never occurred again though...

-"A life without cause is a life without effect."- Coelho

-"A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will."- proverb

--"I'm a fool who doesn't have a purpose in life."- me
0neKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st-November-2016, 03:23 AM   #364
Pressure's Spring
PS

windows_98_nt_2000safari

It's weird. Of-course, I too, get chaotic dreams.

Due to the ambiguity, interpretation is difficult, but apparently, one can try.

For example, your dream can be interpreted like so:

The hurricane represents danger; it is an external force to be reckoned with. It is beyond one's control, a fact of one's reality. The balloon strings, and one's ability to climb up, shifting to a greater vantage point to fully perceive the danger, as a representation of strength, and finally, the fulfillment of an adequate response, as a result of achieving clarity at said vantage point, being represented by the chasing of the hurricane waves.

Who knows, perhaps, this interpretation correlates, in some way, with your life at that particular moment in time. I doubt it.

Seems cliché, no? Dreams generally seem to represent conflict and overcoming in some form, it seems.
Pressure's Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-November-2016, 11:12 PM   #365
iQuoththeraven
Probably hiding in my room

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
All of my dreams are really weird.
I used to have horrible insomnia; I couldn't sleep at all. I would just lie in bed with my eyes closed, sort of pretending to sleep. But I would never actually fall asleep, and if I did it was just for an hour or so.
But when I did manage to fall asleep for a long time, I would have these crazy dreams. I remember most of them in detail.
There was one in particular that I've since named "The Nightmare"... Near the end of it, I was in my house (it was all broken down and had an extra wall in the hallway somehow) and I went into my room. There was this alien/monster in the wall next to my bed. This wall was closed and I couldn't see it, but I could hear it. It was doing somersaults, very slowly, and I could hear it dripping, clinking, making these horrible grinding metallic sounds, and sloshing like it was full of liquid. I left my room (in the dream still) and walked into the hallway, and in the extra wall, there was another one of the alien monsters. The wall was open and I could see it.. It didn't have any skin, or if it did it transparent. I could see its heart and lungs and veins, and with each breath the creature took, blood sort of oozed through it. I could hear dripping again, along with these horrible heaving breaths.
Then I woke up.
I was really freaked out because of the dream. I sat up, really short of breath and over all terrified. But then I realized that I could STILL HEAR THE MONSTER sounds coming from the wall right next to me! It was mainly the dripping, but there were some little metallic clicks too. The dripping was really loud, and I tried closing my eyes but it just got worse. It was terrifying.
I left my room, and walked down the hallway to the bathroom, and the sounds followed me down the entire hallway through the walls.
It finally stopped when I turned on the sink.
But yeah, that whole experience was super terrifying and I'm still partially convinced that I was visited by aliens.
You handled it much better than I would have.
If it were me, I wouldn't have even bothered to venture out of my room.
At least, not until the noise had stopped and day was beginning to break. ^^'
Old 21st-November-2016, 04:37 AM   #366
0neKiwi
Unstable

windows_xp_2003safari

Hmm....have any of you had any "good" dreams lately?...
---
All of my dreams recently have been plagued with violence and horror...
0neKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st-November-2016, 10:10 AM   #367
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I had a dream the other day that my cat wanted a cookie. The reason for the dream is that while shopping I was going to buy cookies but decided not to (so the decision to buy the cookies was pushed into my subconscious), so my animal/instinctual side had a desire for cookies which was expressed by my pet wanting a cookie in my dream.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-November-2016, 04:19 PM   #368
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

So.. I forget the details, but this dream ended earlier like thus: Me and this dude (who were for some reason travel companions) attended a local community gathering, at what in real life is my old school building, but in this dream just served as a community hub of some sort..

There were lots of people at this thing, eating, drinking, networking..

But me and him had ulterior motives, and we kept disappearing into darkend spaces to discuss a plan we were hatching.

We needed resources, and then we needed to return to our journey (what journey and why?!)

Then the plan came about. We'd just rob a wealthy individual on our way out, and then get off.

I was given a weapon of some sort, told to pick a target and to get on with it.

I concealed my weapon, covertly but not perfectly, we were counting on haste.

We both made our way through the building, weaving in and out of the crowd, and made for the exit, a target would be found outside..

We arrive outside, I'm leading us.. We are away from the main gathering, and nobody is outside with us - save for one individual up ahead in the car park, messing around with their car boot.

I'm encouraged by my companion to hurriedly approach from behind, do the need, and we'll make the get away..

I agree, and tell him to keep up as we scale the car park..

But as I get closer to the target I realise its just a defenceless, African Caribbean lady, who is most likely a church going old granny -

My conscience kicks in, and I hiss back behind me that I can't go through with this in good conscience. My partner hisses back that this is no time for a conscience, or cold feet, and that I should know how imperative our needs are -

At this point we're striding past the woman, and I'm conflicted. I don't want to do this, but he's right, we need to do something.

I exclaim in frustration, and look down towards the heavy weapon I'm concealing, I make up my mind, turn around and chuck it to his feet behind me.

Do it then, I tell him.

Then I turn my back to him, and increase the distance between us. I glance back in time to see that we had startled the woman - but too late, as he expertly side stepped round to the back of her and pumped her with 5 blasts from the nail gun.

I close my eyes , and turn away, allowing guilt and sadness to wash over me a minute.

But for only a minute, for all feelings are pushed to the side when my partner in crime dashes over to me, and passes me telling me that the deed is done, and let's be on our way.
Old 19th-December-2016, 09:21 AM   #369
cheese
Resident Member

I dreamt last night that Minuend died. Can't remember the circumstances. Latte was sad.
Finding your 'end of the line' is not the real end of the line. It's a problem to be solved. It's an opportunity for growth. The spirit must keep advancing, just as technology does, just as humanity does.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th-December-2016, 10:06 AM   #370
Rixus
The experiment requires that you continue

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Before I forget, let me write this oddity down. (Especially as it contained a few INTPF members.)

Although fully grown, I must have been a kid because I was playing on these steps and walls we used to clamber around on as kids. My mother shows up and says she'd like to take me somewhere. So into the car I get and she takes me up into the hills, where there now happens to be a park in the middle of some farmland. And she expects me to start playing. Yet instead I look a bit bewildered and explain I am no longer a kid.

She's gone now, as is the park. For some reason, Sinny is now stood in front of me and for some reason is speaking to me by holding up a piece of paper with bubble writing on it. I can only respond using my phone. Plus, Creeping Death and Zerkalo are kind of stood off to the side staring weirdly at us. Now there is a path of streetlights going through this field that comes on so I follow it and leave Sinny stood in the middle of nowhere to go back to whence she came.

I have to walk through my old neighbourhood to a street I don't think I ever walked down. A Ranger Rover stops and beeps at me and I believe this to be important at the time. I go into a cafe (that doesn't exist in RL), and there the Process Supervisor from 3% asks if I have completed my test of arranging a meeting with a stranger. I have no idea what he's talking about, but I know I have to pass the Proccess, so I pretend that I did. Now I have to sweep the floors before I can go to the Offshore and it's a serious mess with people, children and prams everywhere and the debris is an inch thick off the ground. Plus I've got this huge impractical sweeping brush to use. But somehow manage to accomplish the task.

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
Alarm clock - wake up time.

Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th-December-2016, 06:49 PM   #371
Rixus

windows_xp_2003safari

Last night's would have made a premise for an interesting horror movie.

I'm on holiday at a park somewhat similar to Butlins. But there are a lot more outdoor pools all over the place. And there in less the problem. As the sun starts to go down, we notice faces in the water reminiscent of the bog from LOTR. Then people start seeing things over the water. As it gets dark, people start feeling hypnotised by these things and when they touch the things they see, they get dragged into the water.

We soon take refuge in the pavilion and suggest everyone stays inside. Unfortunately, the power goes out. We agree that four of us (who happen to be Sinny, Setechete and a lovely blond lady who says she's Yellow), will go and get it back on. How, I have no idea. But we make our way there. "Yellow" is extremely level headed and leads the group. Thankfully, none of us seem affected by the hypnotising power of whatever it is. We make it and pull a big lever to turn it back on. Mission accomplished.

Now for the return. The things over the water are gaining power and are now spreading. As we are running, chaos begins to break lose. I'm almost gotten by some feral vampires but manage to make it. The of us got back - Sinny didn't make it. No one knows what happened to her. We get back inside and it starts to rain. Now the things are at the windows trying to get in - almost anything haunting or unpleasant. Some kids are hypnotised by some flying toys which, whilst we try to stop them, they manage to get to and get dragged off screaming.

The water is getting inside and we realise that once you touch the water, you've had it. Everyone is panicking and running. People are getting dragged into the water all over the place.

The three of us are still together. We run for higher ground. Not sure how, but Sete doesn't make it (I think he fell on the stairs). The water is rising.

Now "Yellow" and I are just sat on the balcony. The last ones still alive. The water is still rising and we realise we're completely and utterly screwed. Yet just sit there calmly and wait.

And that's where it ended.

Old 25th-December-2016, 06:59 PM   #372
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

Haha, Sinny got out of there and left you all to your doom. If I'm not leading, I'm plotting.
Old 25th-December-2016, 07:06 PM   #373
Sinny91
Banned

linuxsafari

I've been permanently pissed off for the last week because I've been attempting to complete some mental and physical exercises to help better remember my dreams.

But each and every morning someone has either woke me abruptly or interrupted me abruptly.

Grr.

I've been dreaming evey night. But I cant remember the details.

I know I was dreaming about Jimmy Savile a night or two ago... and theres been a lot of violence and dastardly deeds.
Old 25th-December-2016, 07:23 PM   #374
Rixus

windows_xp_2003safari

For some reason, I felt quite certain you had gotten away and was OK. Despite the fact that the others said your fate was obvious.

I don't usually remember them very often. This week, I've had 4 very vivid dreams. I thought I'd post those two as forum members made guest appearances, which was kind of amusing. Probably because both times, a post from you was the last thing I saw before going to sleep. The other had no such guest appearances, but were both violent and erotic (one of which involved a guy and his 4 mates turning up to catch me in bed with his wife - which got quite violent.) Not really sure why.

Old 26th-December-2016, 03:28 AM   #375
Starfishtea
Memer

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I experienced sleep paralysis two months ago and have only been able to remember one dream since then, but it scores far too high on the gross factor for me to post about it.
I used to remember approximately 3-7 dreams per night earlier this year so this is quite a sad development for me. My dreams often feel very profound but the overall theme is dark. When I was at my most productive dream period I would have a shared consciousness with every being in the dream, fully understanding their every motive and feeling and it made everything a lot more interesting, in contrast to my real life back then.
Starfishtea is offline   Reply With Quote