INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > INTP

Old 11th-January-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default My case, i'am an INTP

Hello everyone,

I'am sorry for posting about this topic since i'am sure it have been done a lot of times before. However i'am in a time in my life where i feel that knowing who i'am is very important since i plan to make big changes in my life to overcome depression. I took some break since the new year for myself with the goal to know who i really am and to start making choices in life according to it.

So i have been reading alot about pscychology and found about the 16 personalities test and got INTP however after reading all personalities i found that INFP was also describing me well so i took another test which is supposed to tell them appart and got INFP.

The problem here is that when i was younger i definitely was INFP, i'am almost sure of that. I used to watch anime and have great feelings about the heroes fighting for justice and wanted to become like them, i also loved when there were complex viliains who actually were not really evil but had a twisted view of justice and then araised a philosophical fight between the hero and his enemies. I always had a strong feeling of justice but undertood it is a complex matter that should not be taken dogmatically.

However after growing up i changed because i was deluded by life and how reallity leave no place for heores. Also after spending alot of time reading about pseudo sciences, sects and weird conspiracy theories i understood how feelings can lead people to be abused and deluded. I ended up mistrusting my feelings and rather trust my logic.

Today i always let logic lead my actions and i'am very sceptical toward my feelings, i also do not trust people as i used to and have a more logical, analytical approach to life.

I know someone cannot switch personalities so were i always INTP or i'am an INFP who has shut his feeling and replaced it with higher thinking?

Thanks!
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-January-2017, 04:03 AM   #2
Niclmaki
Disturber of the Peace

macossafari
Default Re: My case, i'am an INTP

I would say you are likely an INFP.
Whenever types are "in trouble" they tend to overuse their inferior functions.
Niclmaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-January-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niclmaki View Post
I would say you are likely an INFP.
Whenever types are "in trouble" they tend to overuse their inferior functions.
Thanks for your answer

That might be the case indeed, i would really like to understand better what is meant by words like "Extraverted/introverted feeling/thinking" because i dont really get those things when they are explained, i really would prefere if there is possible to find real life exemples.

For exemple, in my case, when i plan the future my first reaction is to imagine how it would be, like a short movie where i picture myself in the situation, what it would feel like, would i be happy,..
I have hard time to know if this is introverted thinking or feeling. Because even if i imagine, i still think about things, it is still a way of thinking in my opinion. I also follow this by more realistic thoughts, like if it would be financially possible or will i have the time to do what i want. I hate this part but experience showed me it is necessary.

Also i rarely speak about personal things with others, but when i do i rarely speak about subjects that matters too much to me, even though i really hope to find friends i trust enough to be able to. The reason is that i know my feelings will enter in the equation and i have big difficulties to control myself while talking about subjects that matters to me, since i'am generally calm and quiet i'am not used to debate or to show my feelings, so i just avoid subjects that are too sensitive or that i'am too passionate about in public. However i would love to be able to keep my cool, to use cynism and humor in order to debate and defend my opinions, but that just something impossible to me.
I'am wondering if this is extraverted feelings?

Thanks
Old 13th-January-2017, 03:20 AM   #4
Niclmaki
Disturber of the Peace

macossafari

I just want to preface this by saying I am no expert in this field. I have just studied it on and off in my free time.

But yeah "Thinking" vs "Feeling" is a little misleading.

Feeling in typology is better understood along the lines of agreeableness, "is it right or wrong." "Is it good or bad" "do I like it or dislike it". And coming to a judgement about a thing that way.

Thinking in this sense is just all about describing "what is IT." Fimding all the adjectives to describe a thing to organize it in a framework of understanding.

Extraverted and Introverted describes if it is directed outwardly or inwardly, respectively.
Niclmaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Hello and thanks for the response.

After taking many quizzes and reading alot i came to the conclusion that i'am actually INFP but since i was forced to keep my feelings i developed thinking instead, so much that i ended up thinking and behaving more like an INTP but as said when i was younger i was an idealist until 19 that's when i started to change into ignoring my feelings and started trying to use rational thinking instead. It is funny because it is kinda like i tried to switch personalities before i even knew about them.

Now i can clearly see the whole picture and sadly i'am INFP, i hoped so much to be INTP or even INTJ(those guys are badass). I admire the cold analytical way to approach life but for me feelings always go in the way, i was unaware of that but now i understand that it is the reason why cannot go forward with my life. At least those tests made me able to understand that.
Old 13th-January-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

@Sonny

You are an Extroverted Perceiver. (Ne or Se)

Your second function is introverted feeling.

ExFP

I know this because I now understand how my mom is, she is INFP.

I am ENFP and if I am Extraverted my mom must be Introverted. She is a quiet person.

Fi dominants are very quiet people, they are always trying to find themselves.

Extroverted Perceiver doms are explorative. My sister is ESFP, she is distracted by shiny objects. I like exploring new ideas.
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-January-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Animekitty thanks for your response

However i'am sorry but i'am sure of not being extraverted, in fact the only thing i got high in every quizz is the introversion i got everytime at least 80% introverted.

I am also sure of being iNtuitive since i got it in all test and i can relate to it more than sensing.

As for P i also got high score for J it depends on the situation, however P is what i use more often

T or F is the big question
Old 13th-January-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari

A moderator here named Auburn gave these descriptions of the functions. I have been using them as a reference for understanding Typology. You may find them useful. (I have them saved in my notes, the notes tab is at the top of the forum)

Quote:
Pi: "Here's how the world's condition is"
Je: "And here's how you execute within it"

is entirely contrary to:

Pe: "Oh, I didn't know that. This changes everything!"
Ji: "I have to readjust my position back into perfection."
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-January-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I'am confusing between Fi and Ti because when i think of something i try to feel whether or not i like it but i also like to spend time thinking and organising things in my mind, so i think i use both Fi and Ti but the latter just so i have clearer picture in order to better use the earlier, does that makes sense?

As for extravertion i have difficulty putting word into what i feel or to describe situations and things because it is hard for me to construct proper sentences correctly and quickly but can make it perfectly in my mind, i also have difficulty with using the right voice tone and speaking at the right moment.

When i try to think under stress i tend to think aloud and to use gestures to help me.
So am i using Fe or Te here?

Thanks
Old 16th-January-2017, 11:51 PM   #10
Sonny
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

After retaking the tests i think i might be INFJ plus reading about it, they are also heavy Ti users while still being Feelers that seems more like me.
I'am also weird because i love seeking justice but i'am not kind like a hippie would be i have a kinda realist view on life and understand that nature is injust, however i still believe they might be a world made of abstract concept where nothing is ulitmately just or not. That means even if i think in some way justice might be the ultimate truth, actually not justice but rather harmony, it is useless to search to achieve it here because in this world rational cruelty is the only rule. So even if i enjoy helping people i wont do it to the extend as putting myself in danger and would rather find a way to save myself first even though i still feel remorse about this.