INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > MBTI & Typology

Old 8th-January-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
Animekitty
A royal color

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Guess My Inferior Function.

I read that you can figure out what type a person is by looking for the signs of the inferior function. The inferior is the least developed thus the most exaggerated. When I thought of this I realized I may inferior may be Fe. Fe loves to engage external values. Fi is quite and says little but expresses itself in a subtle way. Fe is all over the place concerned with likes and dislikes and lots of looking externally for them. Fi looks inward and focuses one one value deeply. Fe sees so much in the world it can hardly focus. The ability to focus on your values as an inferior judgment function would lead to less focus. Fe as a dominant function would focus longer but on external objects. Fi focuses inward on happy or sad or any other value. The value is on the inside so the focus is inward for Fi. In Feeling the value would be like the value freedom. Freedom is coming from the world into the person with Fe. For Fi freedom comes from the inside and then goes outward. That is the best way to put it.

So am I Fe or Fi inferior? Or am I Ti or Te inferior? Or is perception inferior?

Guess my inferior function. (not a trick question, I still don't know)
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
QuickTwist
INTPf's very own Southern Baptist

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Guess My Inferior Function.

I would say Se. INXJ

Fucking right.
QuickTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
nanook
a scream in a vortex

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

the true marker of this function is that it haunts and obsesses you, not that it is of inferior quality or that you simply have it. because all functions that are not dominant are relatively more inferior. where inferiority means that you avoid it, when you can and don't work as hard on evolving it, tweaking it, negotiating with it. and even the functions that you do not "have", according to mbti speak, are actually present when you need them, in inferior version, however they would not haunt or obsess you.

so you are looking for a strategy of your character that makes you look like a split personality. when you are in the gravity of this strategy, you exhibit the trait in rigid manner and feel unfree, urged, obsessed or as you put it you lost breath of focus, which could be a sense of autonomy. when you are outside of the gravity of this strategy, you avoid getting into it. but you never quite notice how you slip into it. it just happens sooner or later. in the case of extroverted functions, their gravity comes along with interaction, engagement in your environment or situation. and you can escape their gravity with mere passive experience of events the more you stick to intrinsic motives that don't affect the world.

I'm some other type until proven INTP.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
nanook
a scream in a vortex

the unconscious echo to our conscious functions, meaning the inferior or tertiary function, is something we would surrender to without much negotiation, without attempting to evolve it, unless we have the opportunity to escape it all together.

surrendering and escaping makes our actions inconsistent: it can seem like a case of split personality.

especially in the case of the inferior, where inconsistency of behavior is most pronounced.

but even the auxiliary function can appear in such inconsistent manner. its also inferior compared to the dominant function. but it doesn't enslave the individual like an overpowering alien force. likewise a function that you don't "have at all", according to mbti speak, is going to be inferior, but it won't obsess you. such as Fe in INFP.

my current view of those functions and their typical inconsistency:

unconscious Te is a rigid idea of law and order, of following protocol and thinking in rules of wrong and right.

Te cooks by the book, but when inferior, that book (protocol) hasn't been updated in a century, because books are not taken seriously enough. a protocol is knowledge of what priorities work best under certain circumstance and such knowledge is highly appreciated, but experimentation that would produce more of this knowledge is very feared and procrastinated, because it would require some action without knowledge or predictability. also a protocol may be applied to inappropriate circumstances, because unconscious judgement is somewhat removed from acute perception. the person may be compulsively honest, when a lie would be the most sensible strategy. they may not give away private information, when it may be an ideal occasion for opening up. the individual seeks to live in a bubble that allows distance from Te, from standards, protocols or promises that were made, but when they feel those elements have entered into their bubble, they can not question them. so they may create a "safe" play zone, where "everything" goes, except there are a thousand rules in place to keep the "play" safe. if they believe that homework is something that must be done, they may do it much more thoroughly than expected and be anxious about imperfections and not confident about doing it in their own way and insisting that this way is better. but they are happy to not have homework. its weird when a person rocks that bart simpson image and you ask them out and they have no time because they are busy being lisa simpson.

unconscious Fe is a rigid idea of duty, conformity, loyalty or responsibility.

the person with inferior or tertiary Fe will escape social pressure when they can, but once they are in the gravity of such pressure they can not escape it and feel forced to produce whatever seems appropriate and most importantly nothing inappropriate. so they alternate between being an anarchist and setting a boastful example of proper conduct. they are happy to let you off the hook entirely, but if you commit to something, they judge you harshly for any particular failure to live up to that commitment. they don't ask for anything, but demand that everything should be taken care off. they don't feel compelled to deal with something right now, but feel very guilty for never accomplishing enough. their ideas of what conduct is generally called for may seem very liberal in nature, but those ideas are promoted aggressively and rejection of those ideas is judged harshly. they forgive but never forget. not that anyone forgets. but not anyone forgives. Fe conscious types don't. they would make a hierarchy game out of guilt. you would owe them reparation. but the individual with inferior Fe won't bother to keep track of that relationship. you are just unworthy, more than free to go.

inferior Se is a compulsive need to stay busy, to confront what is present.

the person with inferior or tertiary Se might alternate between being obsessing over something like household work on the one hand and being inconsistent about it on the other hand. they might have tools to clean up the house but those tools might pile up in a chaotic mess. they may have a lot of functional clothing but they are not compatible with each other in style and purpose and their complete outfit may be dysfunctional like a business suit with an apron over it. they crave order but leave a chaos behind. they intend to do a lot of things and will indeed get a lot of things done, but never exactly what they intended to do, because something else came in their way and they felt the compulsive need to deal with it. it looks like a total lack of nuanced priorities, while everything seems very important to them. they are always on their way to somewhere, but never make it anywhere in time, because of constant distractions that they can not reject. they collect functional objects like clothing that seem momentarily compelling without good discrimination of quality and it all piles up somewhere and is forgotten, but is still too appreciated to be thrown away. whenever they review it, its compelling again, because its the object, not their own need, that dictates its value. while people with Se can have a wasteful sense of abundance, people with unconscious Se have a sense of scarcity. they feel like they can not keep up taking care of the objective world, but absolutely have to. anyone else just takes the world for granted, it exists by its own devices, no need to bother with it. the Se conscious person feels a never ending freedom to mess with the world, unlike the person with inferior Se, who has a need to take care of it, to get the job done and be over it.

inferior Ne is an addiction to preserve generally given possibilities but a comparably weak ability to recognize unknown passing by possibilities.

the individual collects records or movies, which are worlds of possibilities but also ideas about patterns of process, which become prejudices. then the individual avoids the actual experience of or interaction with all of these patterns. they listen to the same 3 OLD record over and over again, ignoring the other 500 records or new releases. their prejudices evoke heavy anxieties, instead of helping them to feel prepared, when those patterns come along in life. they appreciate positions of power or responsibility, where they can make possibilities happen, but then they are indecisive about which possibilities are called for or most promising and really mostly prevent all possibilities. they are very aware of the most frequent possibilities of life, such as that of slipping into poverty, so they are very diligent in doing whatever has to be done to deal with those possibilities, but they can not be bothered to go out of their way to make something possible that is merely optional and attractive but unlikely to happen by itself, so they get the job and are unable to relax until its done, but they wont advance their worklife or strategy in great daring steps, which only adds to their sense of being enslaved by the impending doom implied by little rather meaningless work left undone. they only want responsibilities for predictable circumstances and force circumstances to become predictable by consciously fending off unpredictable possibilities.

these ideas are inspired by thinking of real world people in my life.
if i have mistyped those people, then my ideas may be wrong.

Old 8th-January-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Inferior function as exaggerated.. is that like when I used to come onto the forum and post as a drunken jackass, or was that just me being a drunken jackass? hmm (inferior Se)

At the moment I would guess that you are Fe inferior (INTP)
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Hadoblado
Looker at dicker

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Out of all the things in MBTI that irk me, the inferior function stuff is at the top of the list.

Why is it so easy to mistake a dominant and inferior function? They should be nothing alike.

Do you think a lot? Maybe that's because you've got really well developed Ti... Or maybe it's because you've got really undeveloped Ti...? How should it even be possible for these things to be mistaken for one another?

IMO if you want to know your type, figuring out your inferior is the worst place to start, because it can't be meaningfully differentiated from your dominant *or* your shadow, which is real messed up. /rant

"Fire is magic, friendship is mere technology" ~ Void of Space

"The advantages of being very precise even while not being very accurate" ~ Genitive Of Of

"Don't you just love punctuating questions as you would statements in order to soft-claim certainty that elicits agreement" ~ Taint of Volition

Unprincipled exceptions rule everything around me" ~ Content of Media
Hadoblado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th-January-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post
Out of all the things in MBTI that irk me, the inferior function stuff is at the top of the list.

Why is it so easy to mistake a dominant and inferior function? They should be nothing alike.

Do you think a lot? Maybe that's because you've got really well developed Ti... Or maybe it's because you've got really undeveloped Ti...? How should it even be possible for these things to be mistaken for one another?

IMO if you want to know your type, figuring out your inferior is the worst place to start, because it can't be meaningfully differentiated from your dominant *or* your shadow, which is real messed up. /rant
Yeah I would agree. The inferior is the opposite of the dominant, so it's kinda the weak part of the psyche which compensates for the primary attitude of the type. But then there are the weak functions which don't directly oppose the dominant in such a manner. So surely it's much easier to type someone by comparing a strong function and a weak function than by comparing a weak function and another weak function, and the distinction is made by referring to the dominant function anyway.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th-January-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
nanook
a scream in a vortex

I think in people with schizophrenia or borderline PD or bipolar it is indeed close to impossible to figure out which is which, from an analytical third person point of view, because they are very much fused. "Analytical" means analysing the principles of their attitudes and behaviors. Such individuals voice attitudes that are nothing like what mbti profiles/cliches predict and are likely to have all kinds of test results. But you can still tell their type by comparing them to other individuals. As in using physiognomy or by knowing specific quirks of these types.

I was thinking of my father while writing this, btw. Not you guys. Not long ago i was somewhat confidently describing my father as ISTP, but now i see him as ENFJ. Same functions. But when i insert how i see his behavior into a test, the result will be ESTJ, which is the perfect mix of both, but makes no sense when i compare with profiles and makes no sense analytically either.

Old 10th-January-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
EyeSeeCold
Snowblind

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoblado View Post

agreed. While the inferior function inversely implies what's going on with the primary, there is a risk of erroneously conflating them in trying to diagnose it as a type's "overcompensation", such an accusation is probably in the responsibilities of a psychologist and not an everyday hobbyist.

Additionally I think the practice of typing by inferior socially serves as means of personal attack. In defining and expressing one's concept of the functions, a person exposes their typological (in)competency to critical opinion. It's easy to say someone is wrong or inaccurate, and so people are afraid of that. So instead they discuss the inferior which puts other people on the defensive to prove themselves otherwise, as the inferior represents all that's deficient and unpleasant within a type.

At the least I vote for describing the interplay between dom and inferior, which demands a neutral, positive or otherwise comprehensive review of a person.

Maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

we will live on forever and ever
EyeSeeCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-January-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
INTPiee
Redshirt

linuxsafari

This link really helped me distinguish between INFP and INTP, I relate more to inferior Fe than Te. It talks about the way the inferior manifests itself and makes you feel for each function, you might find it helpful.

http://mbti-notes.tumblr.com/post/11...erior-function
INTPiee is offline   Reply With Quote