Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Science & Technology

Old 13th-December-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
Creeping Death
I rustle jimmies

linuxsafari
Default KIC 8462852

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

Quote:
Several hypotheses have been proposed to explain the star's large irregular changes in brightness as measured by its unusual light curve, but none have fully explained all aspects of the curve.
Quote:
while a few hypotheses have been proposed involving material orbiting the star and blocking its light, none of these fully fit the observed data.
Quote:
the star remains an outstanding SETI target because natural explanations have yet to fully explain the dimming phenomenon.
Old 13th-December-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: KIC 8462852

Eh I'm not going to be excited until we start hearing radio traffic, granted most if not all of it would be encrypted, as is ours, but when there's lots of radio noise coming from a planet you know either it's not natural or something incredibly bizarre is happening there.

I'm totally convinced there's aliens out there and I think it's interesting that so many religions talk about "heavenly beings" i.e. entities literally from the sky which seems a bizarre notion for a pre-flight civilization to come up with.

Buuuut I doubt there's a galaxy wide conspiracy to hide from us, they're probably out there somewhere pretty far away and about as aware of us as most people are aware of there being iguanas on the Galapagos islands, courtesy of alien David Attenborough.
Old 13th-December-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Creeping Death
I rustle jimmies

linuxsafari

I don't seriously think aliens are the explanation, unless we have positive proof of it. Still looks interesting though, even though we haven't received radio signals from that area.

Now the Wow signal was certainly more significant.
Old 13th-December-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Rixus
The experiment requires that you continue

windows_98_nt_2000safari

It would be awesome if it were a Dyson Sphere. But it's unlikely.
It's still be really cool because no explanation we have fits it perfectly. And that means it's something new, whatever it is, and we have to adjust our understanding of the laws of physics accordingly. Probably some kind of low mass cloud, IMO.

And Cogs - I don't think it's that weird when you think of the origin of religion. Neanderthals worshiped the elements as gods, which eventually became gods of certain elements (polytheism). When you think that the sun, clouds and rain all come from the sky, is it really that far fetched to think that they assumed that whatever force controlled them must come from up there too?

Personally, I take the stance that it's implausible that there are other life forms out there (an obvious statement). As to whether they can communicate with us or have ever visited - I haven't seen any evidence but I'm willing to listen if some is provided. But, extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence and I do think most sightings have simple explanations.

(Plus note - the star is like a thousand light years away. And it may even be the remnants of a long dead civilization, so no radio chatter would be evident. Who knows.)

Rixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-December-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Quote:
When you think that the sun, clouds and rain all come from the sky, is it really that far fetched to think that they assumed that whatever force controlled them must come from up there too?
That makes sense.

Quote:
Personally, I take the stance that it's implausible that there are other life forms out there (an obvious statement).
Assuming there are other planets with Earth-like compositions and climates, a conservative assumption I'm sure you'll agree, it would seem to me unlikely that life will not occur on them. The spontaneous formation of a self-replicating cellular structure may be astoundingly improbable but when we're talking about gigatones of active chemistry over millions of year even astoundingly improbably reactions are likely to occur.

It's not so much a matter of whether or not it will happen, with the right conditions the spontaneous occurrence of life would be inevitable, the catch is what are those conditions, how specific are they and what factors could prevent life from occurring (i.e. excessive radiation disrupting complex chemistry).

Once self replicating life occurs natural selection will push it towards increasingly sophisticated forms, intelligence will evolve where it is advantageous, although the step from intelligent to technological seems to have specific prerequisites. So it seems to me that among Earth-like planets life would common and although intelligent life would eventually occur on most of these planets (Y'know unless there's an environmental catastrophe like what happened to Mars). But technological life would be quite rare, because no matter how intelligent wolves and dolphins become they're never going to build radio transmitters, their success as a species doesn't depend upon using their intelligence in that way.