INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Science & Technology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th-November-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Creeping Death
I rustle jimmies

linuxsafari
Default anyone paid for DNA testing?

I'm on a quest to uncover my ancestry and genetic details. I'm generally aware of my background, especially on my mother's side, since the family tree is well documented on her side and my great aunt has traced it as far back as 12th century England. Still, there are plenty of missing pieces.
Then there's my dad's side, who I don't really know, and apparently they don't know each other too well. All I know is that there is mostly Amerindian, maybe a hint of Spanish. Whether this native is primarily north or south of the border, I'm not sure, and have had no luck searching. I've tried singling out certain traits by tribe or region, which is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I've seen brief results from certain mail in DNA tests that give an accurate ancestral mapping going far back. The main two I'm looking at are:

NatGeo
23andme

I know 23andme got spanked by the FDA a while back and now have to acknowledge that their results shouldn't be considered a health diagnosis, but the test seems pretty accurate and detailed according to many. Has anyone used either of the two or another test? Were you satisfied and was it a revealing experience?
Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote