INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Quality Control > Crime & Punishment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11th-September-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Speechcrime Laws

Hey I am bad at google and I think some people here may be good at google.

I would like to know what the laws are regarding speechcrime. The full list of speech crime laws.

Which things are against the law to say them?

That is all.

Maybe also if you have the time I want to know the Emotioncrime laws.

Which emotions are illegal.

Thank you.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 05:42 AM   #2
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Which country are you looking for?

As far as I know, no emotions are illegal anywhere. Obviously, certain behaviors, which can be attributed to uncontrolled emotion, might be illegal.

Speech crimes vary widely from culture to culture, and from context to context. Sometimes, if you verbally threaten a crime, you're going to be assessed by legal authorities for the level of threat you impose. Some sexual speech to or in the presence of minors could be illegal.

Obviously, in the throes of emotional or verbal expression, people risk breaking actual laws, like disturbing the peace.
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

I am from Australia.

Is yelling one of these emotions?

I saw a video where a person was getting physically attacked by police for yelling at someone.

So yelling is illegal? Maybe.

edit: sorry, I meant behaviours resulting from emotions.

edit edit: I meant, as opposed to yelling being an emotion I am saying that yelling is an emotional behaviour

It is a mental health illness symptom to yell from what I am told.

Anger is also a mental health symptom.

What I am saying is that...

I am supposedly an emotional person who is unable to express his emotions because he was told for a long time that to express emotions, for me, is to hurt the people I love. To suppress all emotion and speech is the proper way to give someone love, because it allows them to do what they want.

I questioned this, very recently in fact, and had police threatened to be called.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

well, if you're counting behaviors resulting from emotions, then yes. All of the crimes. Or nearly all of them.

Yelling can be illegal of there's a law against being loud or threatening in that particular situation. It's also possible that the man was assessed by the police as posing potential harm to others. Or, the police were being unprofessional, and attacked the man because he made them uncomfortable.

Edit: Dang it! I was responding to you. You filthy ninja.

EditEdit: the post numbers go from #2 to #4. Maybe you'll come back.
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Probably however I am a raving lunatic because I smoked synthetic pot and it fried my brain that is the story that I am having to tell because I am a raving lunatic according to the people they even proved it no actually they didnt scrap that bit but someone said it to me so i assume it is true that i am a raving lunatic and i will never be anything else and i will never be able to have a happy life and the only option is to idk do something or other but gotta get to that heaven at the end of the fricken tunnel right gotta get there

^was that a speech crime?
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Depends on how/when/where you said it. It's not the words, it's the action.

Mental illness isn't against the la either, but the severely mentally ill are more likely to break the law, being less in control of their own actions.

Is it possible that people were responding more to your tone/body language/volume/actions than your words? Is it possible that the people in question felt threatened? Is it possible that the people in question were pieces of shit?
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

All I know is that raving means illogical and mad means angry. To speak in an angry tone of voice is, by definition, to be, raving mad.

All I know. Is that I was put into a psych ward. And I was put onto antipsychotic medications.

I have not figured out why. As of yet. According to the defintion of the term raving, which means to be emotional and illogical, I am unable on my own to logically determine the correct logic of what happened.

Therefore, I am, by definition, insane. Because I have a very limited grasp of logic.

Due to the fact that I am an emotional person, it is, as is said, protocol that I be medicated.

Due to my fear of doctors, I am unable to be medicated.

That is all for now.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

That sounds like a frustrating position to find yourself in. I hope your situation improves over time.
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
FATBOY
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
unknownsafari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
Hey I am bad at google and I think some people here may be good at google.

I would like to know what the laws are regarding speechcrime. The full list of speech crime laws.

Which things are against the law to say them?

That is all.

Maybe also if you have the time I want to know the Emotioncrime laws.

Which emotions are illegal.

Thank you.
I don't think you are bad at Google

I think you are just lazy

You want other people to do for you,

what you can just do for yourself

and then report back to you
FATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
I don't think you are bad at Google

I think you are just lazy

You want other people to do for you,

what you can just do for yourself

and then report back to you
yeah very funny
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
That sounds like a frustrating position to find yourself in. I hope your situation improves over time.
Do you actually know what position I am in, or are you just saying I sound frustrated by something, so must be in a frustrating position?

I'll take the second sentence to mean "I have no idea how to help you or offer much in the way of support, however good luck with everything". Thanks, I guess.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th-September-2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

@Yellow, sorry btw for lashing out a bit in the previous post.

It's just me being used to people saying they care and doing nothing to help, and having an immediate reaction to that, I'm not saying you actually are obligated to help me, given that you barely even know me.

Like, yeah, there was actually a bit of lashing out, but I tried to tone it down as much as I could because I knew it wasn't really directed at you.

Again, actually thanks for replying to this thread, I was really distressed when I made it.

You did actually help me, so I apologise for suggesting that you didn't.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-September-2016, 02:09 AM   #13
FATBOY
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
unknownsafari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

you are a bit raving mad in this thread
bipolar all over the place
and you still don't know why you were placed in a psych ward?
FATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-September-2016, 03:08 AM   #14
Yellow
for the glory of satan
 
Yellow's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 2,794
linuxfedorafirefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
@Yellow, sorry btw for lashing out a bit in the previous post.

It's just me being used to people saying they care and doing nothing to help, and having an immediate reaction to that, I'm not saying you actually are obligated to help me, given that you barely even know me.

Like, yeah, there was actually a bit of lashing out, but I tried to tone it down as much as I could because I knew it wasn't really directed at you.

Again, actually thanks for replying to this thread, I was really distressed when I made it.

You did actually help me, so I apologise for suggesting that you didn't.
You're very right about my limitations in helping you. I don't know how to help, really, except to acknowledge that you're frustrated. I can't say I've been in the same situation, but I've witnessed others experience it, and I understand it in a general sense. I also genuinely hope your situation improves.

On another note, I hope you understand that the thread's newest member, FATBOY, clearly struggles with the concept that the internet doesn't exist solely for his entertainment, and that there are real people on the other side of the screen.
__________________
Consider me a dandelion.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-September-2016, 03:23 AM   #15
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
You're very right about my limitations in helping you. I don't know how to help, really, except to acknowledge that you're frustrated. I can't say I've been in the same situation, but I've witnessed others experience it, and I understand it in a general sense. I also genuinely hope your situation improves.

On another note, I hope you understand that the thread's newest member, FATBOY, clearly struggles with the concept that the internet doesn't exist solely for his entertainment, and that there are real people on the other side of the screen.
Thanks.

lol @ "newest member"

newest dupe, maybe.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-September-2016, 03:25 AM   #16
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
you are a bit raving mad in this thread
bipolar all over the place
and you still don't know why you were placed in a psych ward?
haha, nah i do know

first time i was feeling suicidal

second time i walked down the street naked while high

I walked down the street naked... and I suffered the consequences...
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-March-2017, 08:17 PM   #17
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
All I know. Is that I was put into a psych ward. And I was put onto antipsychotic medications.

I have not figured out why. As of yet. According to the defintion of the term raving, which means to be emotional and illogical, I am unable on my own to logically determine the correct logic of what happened.

Therefore, I am, by definition, insane. Because I have a very limited grasp of logic.
I hope you manage to be lucid enough, long enough, to understand what society requires of you. In various places, such as the USA, your survival literally depends on it.

I have seen the last 10 minutes of an insane person's life as he wandered down a street in Seattle. He attacked some guy, swinging his fists at him. He wasn't terribly effective, the victim was able to steer away from him. At first we thought the victim knew the guy, and it was just the usual case of "personal beat 'em ups for some reason", but the victim said he'd never seen the attacker before. 10 minutes later I heard ambulances heading for downtown. The news said the attacker had pulled basically the same thing with someone downtown. That someone pulled out his lawful concealed carry handgun and blew the attacker away. End of problem.

Quote:
Due to the fact that I am an emotional person, it is, as is said, protocol that I be medicated.

Due to my fear of doctors, I am unable to be medicated.
Or rather, you don't like being forcibly medicated.

I have a step brother, whom I've never met, who has been and continues to be in prison for a number of years now. He's some kind of seriously mentally ill, not sure which kind. Going nuts about 'the doctors', 'the pharmaceutical conspiracy', and 'taking his meds', caused him to violently attack someone. Something that was said in a conversation, triggered him somehow. His attack was bad enough to land him in prison for a good number of years. I'm not sure how long he's going to be in there. My Dad has visited him in prison, with my stepmom.

I've seen a clearly bipolar person melt down in front of me at a homeless day center. The guy was really angry about something the staff said to him. Fortunately, he was lucid enough to head for the door, rather than staying on hand to physically intimidate staff. We, meaning everyone in the day center, just let him have his outburst and be on his way. The guy was lucky as there had been a cop on site not 20 minutes before, and would be on site again not 20 minutes after. I saw this guy 1 hour later around town somewhere, and he was completely fine.

In a situation like that, I'm preparing for the possibility of the guy pulling a knife to stab someone. That does happen at times in a homeless day center, which is why is one reason I try to spend as little time there as possible. Just get in there, do my business, and get out, before anyone has any drama. It's why there's a cop at this day center all the time now. Too many dramas, among too many mentally ill people (huge numbers among the homeless), resulting in too many fights and stabbings.

I would have no compunction about using lethal force against someone swinging a knife at me. I'm somewhat trained, but not enough to feel real good about waiting for them to stab, stab, stab me again and again. So I'd have to act decisively, immediately, and that might mean killing them. It probably would happen really fast and I wouldn't have time to think about what's happening. The best defense though is not to escalate situations in the first place, i.e. don't call out the crazy guy and agitate him even more, if you can avoid it. And don't be near the crazy guy in the 1st place, so that it's not your problem.

We also have a genre in the USA of a crazy person picking up a gun and going out in public to shoot people. It complements the Islamic terrorism and domestic terrorism we otherwise get. Unfortunately, nobody has the political will to do anything about the seriously mental ill. The Republicans don't want to pay for such things, as usual. The Democrats, who on other occasions might champion the health care angle, instead always blow their political wad on demonizing gun owners and trying to take our guns away.

I do think taking guns away from crazy people is a good idea, but there have to be checks and balances of due process to ensure it's not just a cudgel / excuse for disarmament. That's often why some things the Left calls 'sensible' legislation don't pass, because they're not really interested in the rights of lawful gun owners, or providing recourses for the falsely accused. There's a way to do these laws, but it seems hard to write them to everyone's satisfaction in practice.

And so, we will continue to have violent crazy people as a menace to the public. They will occasionally claim their victims. They will occasionally be shot dead by law abiding citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment right of self defense. It is tragic either way, but unfortunately I live in a country with no collective will to change the status quo.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-March-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
munk
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
linuxsafari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
I have seen the last 10 minutes of an insane person's life as he wandered down a street in Seattle. He attacked some guy, swinging his fists at him. He wasn't terribly effective, the victim was able to steer away from him. At first we thought the victim knew the guy, and it was just the usual case of "personal beat 'em ups for some reason", but the victim said he'd never seen the attacker before. 10 minutes later I heard ambulances heading for downtown. The news said the attacker had pulled basically the same thing with someone downtown. That someone pulled out his lawful concealed carry handgun and blew the attacker away. End of problem.
Why didn't you step in to help? You've repeatedly touted yourself as somewhat of a badass.
Or do you only get violent when your feelings are hurt and not when someone else needs help?
munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th-March-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
Why didn't you step in to help? You've repeatedly touted yourself as somewhat of a badass.
I was nowhere near where the crazy person was shot to death. I was at a dog park with my dog. My primary responsibility in life is to ensure the safety of my dog. Also, the victim of the wild flailing I did see, was not injured. I did not see a good reason to summon the police, as it would just get the semi-harmless crazy person in trouble. In hindsight, maybe I should have. I don't know if it would have made a difference, because I don't know if they would have responded before the next altercation. Woulda coulda shoulda. I had no previous experience with intervening with a crazy guy flailing around at random people on the street.

Some people, since then, I have trailed at a distance to make sure they're not harming the public, or someone specific. Happened in a Walmart parking lot down in Florida this winter, a guy who yelling very loudly at a woman he was with. They left Walmart property. A Walmart worker, a Walmart resource officer, and myself trailed him from various directions. I actually found where he was behind the treeline. He was chewing her out good, she was stock still. I quickly backed away. Barging in on that situation, could get me shot and killed.

Shortly after, we all debated calling the police. Walmart declined because it wasn't on their property anymore. I declined because he wasn't beating her, and bringing in the cops can make that sort of thing worse. Also, she never made any effort to cry for help or flee. Maybe she needs or wants him for something. If it had been a clearly violent situation though, then I would have had to do something. If only duck behind a car, call 911, and wait for the professionals to arrive. Hoping she lives through it meanwhile. It would take luck to act in such a situation decisively, hand-to-hand. I'd act if it happened that way; I definitely wouldn't seek it out.

So yes, I have actually somewhat stuck my neck out recently for someone else's safety. And when you're fully aware of all the ways something like that could go south, with a gun or knife, you are cautious. Also I slept in that parking lot that night. I do something he doesn't like, he could take it out on me, in the middle of the night, when I'm sleeping. That's part of the equation too: how does this bring down the neighborhood, for all the other homeless car dwellers using a Walmart parking lot? Wouldn't be the 1st time I've made choices about that either.

That other situation I wrote about, where the bipolar guy melted down at the homeless day center, we all did exactly the thing that was best for everyone. We let him leave without summoning the cops or tangling with him. No 'help' required. You can cause a situation to exist, that otherwise would not exist, because of your fears.

You know it's funny... this was a long writeup, and I was at some cafe that cut me off after 2 hours. Had to walk downtown Asheville, and lo and behold, per conversation is some guy acting all loud, weird, and somewhat threatening to passers-by. Sort of on the borderline, seeking attention through provocation and making people feel uncomfortable. Am I getting a Seattle replay? Well, not exactly, because he hasn't attacked anyone. Yet... is he working himself up to something, or just content to yell at people about how things suck, you suck, etc?

I could have crossed the street and completely avoided contact with him. I dismissed that, decided I'm not going to have him run me out of my physical space, or other people's space. And if he had violent intents, better for him to try to attack me than someone else. I adopted a carefully neutral expression as the dog and I approached.

He liked my dog. I went with the energy, the upswing in his mood upon seeing my dog, and said nice things about the dog. It improved his mood for the 15 seconds we were passing by. He even high fived me. A small victory. Not the 1st time my dog has given "street therapy" either.

Afterwards the guy became more negative again. I wondered whether I should find a cop or call 911. I decided not. He was pushing boundaries, maybe even getting uncomfortably close to some people's space, but hadn't actually made violence at anyone. He might be better off being left alone.

There are limits though. I also resolved that if I did think it was time to get the police in on it, I was going to do it from afar, and take no personal responsibility for the situation. I don't need to be a target for anyone out there. Rat 'em out from afar.

I have, in the past, directly stood up to some crazy person in the street, who was acting up. I got good results making a display of force. Meaning, situation ended, no fight happened, no law enforcement summoned, the public not being made to feel threatened anymore.

Quote:
Or do you only get violent when your feelings are hurt and not when someone else needs help?
That's a non-sequitor. I don't get violent when my feelings are hurt. I've had numerous professional interactions with store managers and law enforcement as a signature gatherer, that prove I don't get violent at all, even in charged / animated situations. That is because I've had some martial training about controlling my emotions. That's my job. Especially if a fight comes, because you want the other person to be ripping angry, not yourself. If you are angry, you will make mistakes. A mistake of even a fraction of an inch, can get you seriously injured or even cost you your life. Conversely, if you can control and avoid anger and escalation, you can avoid things coming to a fight. I've proven this a number of times also.

Sometimes I've had to square off in a pre-fight posture with someone. The clearest sign that they're going to lose, is when they have no personal discipline over their emotions and body. And you're just standing there calmly, demonstrating that their attempts at intimidation ain't workin'. Not even phasing you in the slightest. In such a situation, presuming you have no other option like turning your back on them or walking away... you wait for them to run out of steam. Or for them to just attack you and get it over with, since they're usually already in your zone of greatest effectiveness. Hasn't come to that though.

Conversely, I'd be very worried if someone was as calm as I typically am, in a pre-fight circumstance. Because that probably means they're trained, and are deciding when they're going to pull out a knife or gun to do you in. Or they'll be bare handed and plenty fine with doing you the damage. I've never really actually had a situation go like that though. Most trained people aren't looking for trouble.

There is a Roman saying, I think, although I haven't been able to definitively attribute it. "A dog who is barking, is not biting." Very true of pre-fight behavior.

There was one time when I unwittingly almost got myself in a circumstance with a trained person. An ex-Marine. Fortunately once I went "outside" the lunchroom, I had the sense to try apologizing to him. I figured it was worth a shot, I didn't need to create enemies. If it worked it worked. If it didn't, then nothing would change, and what would come would come. It did work, he accepted my apology.

Then for some reason he related a story of how he had killed someone in the Marine Corps that had kept bugging him. With a knife; he did time for it. He told it in a way, that seemed highly credible to me that it had happened, although it has been pointed out to me that some people tell stories. Damn good actor if it was only a story though. He was an older robust black fellow and I'm doubting he was "all that" anymore, in fact he walked with a bit of a limp. But I could definitely envision a younger version of himself where this happened.

He also talked about how he had intended to take me down, if the fight were to come to it. That's how I knew he clearly was trained. Well. But my response to that was, "You don't know what other people know". I think he would have been very surprised, when his maneuver that would have worked on so many people - a sort of knee grab buckling - would not likely have affected any Russian style fighter at all. We're all trained to bend and flex with such force inputs, we don't leave legs rigid and locked for people to get easy leverage on. I didn't explain any of that to him, there was no call for it. I just said what I said.

Anyways that was my rude awakening to the genre of "PTSD Vet", among the homeless. I've had some previous inklings about that sort of thing. Watch out for them; don't provoke them.

I'm now also very, very careful about personal space in a lunch line. Or sassing someone who gets mad at me. It all started over me reaching across his food to get a napkin at a counter. A mortal offense, to him. I'm thinking, who the F does this guy think he is, to get so tightly wound? Well, I don't pass judgment on that anymore.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 04:36 AM   #20
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

uh I don't go out and attack people when I'm psychotic, I just drink too much and make crazy rambling threads like this.

Forced medication is a violation of human rights. I've done research on it, I've seen nothing to suggests that they help, especially not long term. It's just tranquilising.

I'm probably just pissed off that I can't cum and lost my ability to flirt online. The fatigue, restlessness, memory problems, boredom and all that factor in too.

Thinking about it sends me into pretty major depressive states, and it's hard to keep it off my mind for long.
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 05:38 PM   #21
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
uh I don't go out and attack people when I'm psychotic, I just drink too much and make crazy rambling threads like this.
Well that's a good thing, as it will probably keep you from being shot. On the other hand, please don't try rambling on the street. You're very unlikely to be arrested for words in an online forum, but the same can't be said for bothering people in public. Particularly if you start invading people's body space, or doing antics on someone else's private property, or disrupting a business. Also people can misinterpret your intents, depending on how wacko you are, and use force against you while claiming self-defense. Depending on how nutters you got to be, they might even be in the right.

I would not have blown away that crazy guy in downtown Seattle. I would have just grabbed his incoming arm, put him on the ground, and held him there until the police arrived. Worst case kick him in the head or something, seriously doubt I'd even consider using lethal force. I've had a drunk suddenly step out from an alley to try to sucker punch me, and I didn't hurt the guy at all. I imagine from a hand-to-hand combat perspective, the encounter would probably have been "pathetic" like that.

But not everyone is trained to respond like I am. That crazy guy had pretty bad luck. Washington is a CCW friendly state last I knew, with plenty of people packing, but that doesn't mean there's all that many guns per capita amongst people in public.

Quote:
Forced medication is a violation of human rights. I've done research on it, I've seen nothing to suggests that they help, especially not long term. It's just tranquilising.
Forced medication is a difficult reality in a set of social problems that don't seem to get solved, at least not in the USA. If people would spend lots of money on psychiatrists and carefully controlled environments for crazy people, then society maybe wouldn't be using cheap and dubious expedients such as drugs. Unfortunately, last article I read about successes in "carefully controlled environments"... when you put the crazy person back out in the real world, they get stressed by things beyond their control and the crazy starts all over again. So is it going to be drugs, or a careful and permanent set of housing with well maintained conditions by experts?

Frankly, a lot of crazy people in the USA don't get either. The end up homeless on the street. I'm homeless myself, I see them at the homeless day center all the time. I go there, do my business, and get out, before any drama happens.

My own direct experience of "what the drugs do", was a friend of mine who tried to commit suicide. They put him in psych lockup after that, but pretty soon, he kept having to convince them he was a danger to himself. They wanted to get him out. He was diagnosed bipolar and given meds. They made him zombie-like. One day when we were talking at a coffee house, I just stopped talking, to see how long it would take for him to react. Literally 5 minutes went by. That was disturbing.

The good news is eventually he found a medication regime that made him more normal. It took about 2 years of experimentation though.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 08:00 PM   #22
EditorOne
Resident Member
 
EditorOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,690
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Not that it really matters after all that, but in most states "assault and battery" breaks down into two parts, "assault" and "battery." Assault is any kind of threat to commit harm when coupled with the ability to carry out the threat. "Battery" is when physical violence actually occurs.

A lot of people get in some degree of hot water because they don't understand that you can commit assault without touching anyone.

Note that this has nothing to do with suppression of speech for political stuff, it's just threatening to bash someone with an iron frying pan while holding or standing next to an iron frying pan, for instance. Intent plus potential to implement.
__________________
WJW

I think, I think I am, therefore I am.
I think.
-- Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Explicitly Clear: Civil War insights for the serious, curious living historian.
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 08:10 PM   #23
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post
Note that this has nothing to do with suppression of speech for political stuff, it's just threatening to bash someone with an iron frying pan while holding or standing next to an iron frying pan, for instance. Intent plus potential to implement.
That guy that 3 of us trailed across the Walmart parking lot, we couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. He was so loud and bellicose and threatening, it sounded horrible. We had reasonable grouds to believe he might beat or kill her. But he didn't, and we don't know if he physically threatened her or not. Not a shadow of a doubt that he was extremely threatening though.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorOne View Post
A lot of people get in some degree of hot water because they don't understand that you can commit assault without touching anyone.
Come to think of it, I once stood up to a bipolar guy in Seattle who was terrorizing people sitting outside at restaurants. Clearly off his meds, throwing things around, making violent remarks. I deduced that he was seeking negative attention because he couldn't get positive attention. I got up from where I was seated, told him to stop it, and that we could call the police if it was needed. My physical posture was such, that I obviously wasn't intimidated by his antics. In contrast, most normal people were cringing and really scared. Luckily, my display of force caused him to start acting nice. We actually had a pretty long conversation about some plane ticket he was carrying around, that he was from Virginia, something about his parents, etc. He went on his way.

I saw him later, maybe the next day. He did not recognize me. He yelled at me as he approached, something pretty close to "Get out of my way or I'll break your kneecaps!" Of course I wasn't phased, but I was disgusted with him. After having done him the favor of not calling the cops, this is the thanks I get. Seeing that his remark once again hadn't even affected me, he said nothing further and went on his way.

I'm older now and have tried to internalize the life lesson that crazy people are not normal. By default I tend to want to judge people by normal standards of behavior, rationality, intent, leading to conclusions like "How dare you...?" But crazy people are not normal and their minds aren't working things out that way. I try to remember that nowadays, and not waste mental time and especially emotional energy, feeling miffed at how weird, badly behaved, offensive, etc. they are.

Like the guy in Asheville who kept walking right up to me late at night, around 1..2 AM, to panhandle me even though I'm homeless too, many nights in a row, never able to remember that we'd had exactly the same conversation many nights in a row previously. Boy did that get old.

Um, it occurs to me, something else that a bipolar person should be aware of, as a risk to their existence, if they start doing things in public. You can run into someone, especially a young male, who is not very understanding about the incredible load of negative emotional energy you're throwing their way. That is to say, you rile someone, they may beat you up. That IMO is how the young male testosterone laden mind works. I've had to fight those impulses down myself at times; fortunately I did do so. That part of the mind is very reckless about what comes next, it's not thinking straight. It doesn't care about consequences, it's primitive.

For me personally, the worst times have been when someone nearly hit me with their vehicle, while I was on foot. I call it "pedestrian rage". It's just like the more common "road rage", which isn't a problem I suffer from. I'm very careful not to flip people off, etc. and to keep my mind on driving the car. But when someone makes your heart JUMP and you know you just came pretty close to vehicular homicide... well, we'll see if I react better next time.

Alcohol is of course another notorious liberator of more primitive impulses. One side of the brain is saying, "Getting in a fight over this is not a good idea, he may have a gun in his glove compartment." The other side of the brain is saying, "I don't care, he's making me mad, I want to beat him!" Fortunately in my case the rational side of the brain has won out over the testosterone and anger.

I'm saying with random people on the street, it ain't necessarily so. They aren't necessarily going to be all enlightened and reasonable about how bipolar or 'aggro' someone is. They may just respond, with a fist, and then worse. Lots of other people are carrying their own internal anger around, and you don't really want to release all of that anger upon you. They may give you quite the beating, just because you unbottled it all for them.

As my sifu said: "People die for stupid s**t all the time." Don't be one of those, and don't be there for it to happen. Certain bars, for instance... I don't need to be there.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 08:33 PM   #25
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,121
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
uh I don't go out and attack people when I'm psychotic, I just drink too much and make crazy rambling threads like this.

Forced medication is a violation of human rights. I've done research on it, I've seen nothing to suggests that they help, especially not long term. It's just tranquilising.

I'm probably just pissed off that I can't cum and lost my ability to flirt online. The fatigue, restlessness, memory problems, boredom and all that factor in too.

Thinking about it sends me into pretty major depressive states, and it's hard to keep it off my mind for long.
I disagree with you that anti-psychotics don't help. I can't speak for your problems as psychosis covers a multitude of issues varying greatly in severity. My ex-wife suffers from type 1 bipolar affective disorder. at first, she found the sedating effects of the anti-psychotics to be highly undesirable. Instead she listened to the internet forums she'd discussed this on who suggested using amphetamine and cannabis to control her illness. It made the psychosis an order of magnitude worse very quickly. She started experiencing command psychosis, which was far worse than the minor hallucinations and outside of reality feelings she'd experienced previously.

The voices apparently convinced her that she should take more drugs and run off with her dealer. It was at this point that social services became involved and she was not allowed to see her own kids without supervision as she would tell them about her delusions. She ended up living on the street for a while until she attempted suicide and subsequently began taking medication again.

Now the drowsiness has mostly worn off and she's quite thankful for the meds which allow her to remain stable - and I've authorised removing the supervision order. She's more stable now and we're sort of friends now.

Like I said, I cannot speak for your problems or many other people. But own experience is that there are occasions when it can be of great help to someone.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 08:59 PM   #26
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
But own experience is that there are occasions when it can be of great help to someone.
Come to think of it I had a girlfriend back in college who took lithium. She was completely normal for our entire relationship of 1.5 years or so. She had said there was some incident before I met her, where she went driving an electric cart around somewhere? Some kind of la la land thing. So yeah I guess her medication worked for her.

"Getting angry about the meds" is definitely a genre I've experienced. Had a friend back in college who would get "lit up and angry" about certain things all of a sudden. At the time I took it in stride. I don't think I even knew of a word for what was going on with him back then. Just that he was "off" and would sometimes have these moments, but he'd be normal again in a little bit. In hindsight, he was probably rebelling against his meds. I'm dimly remembering that he actually explained to me he was bipolar or something, I really didn't know much about it at the time. That's how I knew he "meant well" when he had his moments.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 09:16 PM   #27
Rixus
I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
 
Rixus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdon
Posts: 1,121
windows_xp_2003safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Come to think of it I had a girlfriend back in college who took lithium. She was completely normal for our entire relationship of 1.5 years or so. She had said there was some incident before I met her, where she went driving an electric cart around somewhere? Some kind of la la land thing. So yeah I guess her medication worked for her.

"Getting angry about the meds" is definitely a genre I've experienced. Had a friend back in college who would get "lit up and angry" about certain things all of a sudden. At the time I took it in stride. I don't think I even knew of a word for what was going on with him back then. Just that he was "off" and would sometimes have these moments, but he'd be normal again in a little bit.
It's quite possible your girlfriend has adapted well to the meds, and you'd never have seen what would happen without them. Lithium is only prescribed for severe mania, which is far more dangerous than the hypo mania most people will have experienced. With lithium stabilised, they can go 5 or even 10 years without episodes that would otherwise hit within a year or two of the last.

Your college friend doesn't sound like bipolar getting what you say. More like borderline (now called emotional instability disorder), which is a personality disorder were one would find it difficult to control normal emotions the way most of us do, and seem to overreact a lot or have what seems like random extreme outbursts. Medication hasn't been shown to help this at all in the long run as it's more psychological than biological. Teaching them how to control it is the only effective way known, but it's very difficult as they need to put in 100% effort.
__________________
Post a post post posting of this post.
Rixus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th-March-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixus View Post
Your college friend doesn't sound like bipolar getting what you say. More like borderline (now called emotional instability disorder), which is a personality disorder were one would find it difficult to control normal emotions the way most of us do, and seem to overreact a lot or have what seems like random extreme outbursts.
That's possible. It was way too long ago, say 1990-ish, for me to remember his exact words. The DSM has also changed a few times since then, so I have no idea what the lingo was back in the day.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-April-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
Artsu Tharaz
Resident Resident
 
Artsu Tharaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: /~\
Posts: 2,499
windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery
Come to think of it I had a girlfriend back in college who took lithium
I actually WANT to be prescribed lithium. I've been saying for years that I'm bipolar, not schizophrenic. I've heard good things about the drug, not like the zombification fuckery that is anti-psychotics.

But I've learnt some crucial information along the way about schizophrenia diagnosis, so it's not all a loss.


edit: I thought I should elaborate on this: See, we're in the midst of a spiritual revolution, and schizophrenics are largely at the forefront of this. But just like the church stamped out certain heretical scientific developments for the sake of preserving the religious worldview, so too do we use medications to prevent the flow of spiritual development which threatens the materialist paradigm. And just like scientific development ended up with the destruction of huge portions of the earth's forests, so too would the new spiritual revolution bring with it a lot of destruction, and that's what is trying to be prevented, or rather delayed. It will happen eventually though.

Better later than sooner or sooner than later?
Artsu Tharaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd-April-2017, 05:24 PM   #30
bvanevery
Redshirt who doesn't die
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,475
windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Default Re: Speechcrime Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsu Tharaz View Post
And just like scientific development ended up with the destruction of huge portions of the earth's forests,
This is some kind of baloney, not sure if there's a formal or informal logical fallacy associated with it. A comparable statement would be "because human beings came to exist, it has ended with the destruction of huge portions of the earth's forests...." Well first off, it hasn't ended. Processes are ongoing and there isn't any last word on forestry. Second, I live 20 miles away from The Cradle of Forestry, in the Pisgah National Forest, near Asheville, NC, USA. In this country, this is where the science of forestry started. Science cuts both ways. You can cure things, you can make biological WMDs.

Ergo since you are arguing from false premises, I find your conclusions about science and spirituality baseless. What schizophrenia actually is, is left as a homework exercise for the reader.
bvanevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Laws of P-Types: Fi & Ti Laws Architect MBTI & Typology Archive 4 8th-November-2012 07:02 AM
Stupid Laws Da Blob Websites of Interest 1 14th-April-2011 01:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Template-Modifications by TMS
no new posts