INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > The Arts and Entertainment > Movies, Theatre & Television

Old 12th-May-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

linuxsafari
Default Alien: Covenant

I hated this movie at the start, was ambivalent about it midway through and at the end, at the end I cried with joy.

Best. Movie. Ending. Ever.
Old 12th-May-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
onesteptwostep
on indefinite leave

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Alien: Covenant

I'm planning to watch this monday night.. good to hear it's good
That is their hue
onesteptwostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th-May-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

Old 12th-May-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

doesn't open in the USA until 5/19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognisant View Post
Best. Movie. Ending. Ever.
Guesses as to the ending:

1. Various shots of Baby Groot dancing

2. Detective Mills has cameo: "What's in the ship? Whaaat's in the fucking SHIIIIIP?"

3. After Daniels dies, she appears with Branson (who is dead) along with everyone else all die, on the deck of the destroyed ship, where they will live together in love and everyone applauds.

4. Alien tears off mask, is Freddy Krueger in disguise. "I'm your boyfriend now, Daniels!" and unmentionable things happen.

5. Richard Gear shows up in a limo and carries the alien down the fire escape and they drive off happily ever after.

6. Daniels shoots everyone else in the head and prepares to die, since she's out of bullets... and about ten seconds later, the Marines show up to save the day while she has to be institutionalized out of guilt.

7. As they flee to the beach, they find the Statue of Liberty half buried in the sand.

8. Daniels: "Why are you wearing that stupid alien suit?" Alien: "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

9. Alien: "I wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner." [hangs up telecom]
Old 12th-May-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
TheManBeyond
Indigo Kid

windows_98_nt_2000safari

film projector had a failure, everyone was put in quarenteen so Banks could keep ur money safe for a few more minutes
Old 13th-May-2017, 12:20 AM   #6
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

Quote:
6. Daniels shoots everyone else in the head and prepares to die, since she's out of bullets... and about ten seconds later, the Marines show up to save the day while she has to be institutionalized out of guilt.

9. Alien: "I wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner." [hangs up telecom]
Good guesses.

Warning Ending Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The two androids Walter and David end up sitting across from each other in the snow, the outpost burning down around them, both aware that when the fire goes out they're going to freeze to death and Walter isn't sure if David is infected with the alien mutagenic pathogen.
Old 13th-May-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
~~~

macossafari

You didn't entertain the ending as a possibility prior to the finale Cog?
~~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-May-2017, 07:38 AM   #8
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

The switch wasn't a surprise but I had extremely low expectations, the alien dying seemed like the finale to me and I expected everything to wrap up neatly after that.
Old 15th-May-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I have tried to skip everything else in the thread.
I got my ticket for this coming Saturday morning.
Old 16th-May-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
onesteptwostep
on indefinite leave

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Watched it.

*spoilers*

Spoiler:
I sort of expected the switch but to some extent I think they made it pretty blatant. 7/10 imo.

and LOL at the synthetic rape part, that part made me go

Oh and sucks for Shaw dying like that.. so sad. Just goes to say robots are going to f*** us up in the future. I feel like they should have a spin off where they just go after David instead.

The next movie I think is going to be about the event before Covenant but after Prometheus (called Awakening).
That is their hue
onesteptwostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
sushi

windows_98_nt_2000safari

its just paradise lost repackaged.
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
Reluctantly
notzi nazi

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
its just paradise lost repackaged.
WELL THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME NOW
Old 20th-May-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

So I saw it a few hours ago.

There are parts of it I liked (mainly anything with Michael Fassbender in it, and the Guy Pierce cameo was great), and of course the production quality is typically good (visuals and sound), but I was overall disappointed. It's one of those movies i don't know if I care to ever rewatch, except maybe for the Fassbender dialogue and a few plot points to clear up in my head.

Yes, Coggy, the ending was one of the more decent parts, but since I had figured it out about 50-60% of the way through the movie, it was like, "yeaaahhhhhhhh... okay, check that off."

Major specific spoilers in here:
Spoiler:

- A lot of Alien formula here, moreso than Prometheus. But the first alien kept things suspenseful by rarely showing the alien, and the second movie still pretty much kept them cloaked and also deluged us with many many of them. So while the alien design here was interesting -- I especially liked the one that stood face to face with David for a bit -- the entire plot was by the numbers. Which includes...

- people doing dumb things, people making dumb decisions out of emotional kneejerk responses, and people doing things that probably would never be done IRL due to layers of protocol and of course a second-in-command who says, "I want my opposition to this to be officially recorded."

- I don't think I've run across a franchise that is MORE willing to shit on any goodwill created in prior movies by POV characters and never actually resolve character arcs in a way that was earned in prior movies. In Alien3, we were rewarded with all of the emotional intricacy and catharsis of Aliens by having them kill Hicks and Newt off-screen because they were inconvenient to the plot. here, we grew attached to Shaw and her spiritual journey, watched her survive a bunch of shit, and here she was basically murdered off-camera and cannibalized for plot parts. Fuck you, Ridley Scott. You suck.

- I do think the David arc was interesting, especially in terms of the created feeling like the creator was not worthy of them, and seeing David commit genocide (localized?) on the Engineers, and then go off to "Science, BITCHES!" the hell out of that xenomorph life cycle -- are you gonna serve in heaven or reign in hell? -- but since you had to basically trample any storyline from Prometheus and murder the sole survivor of the expedition off camera... Fuck you again, Ridley Scott.

- But yes. The David/Walter plotline. That was a worthy addition to the franchise. It's too bad all the alien stuff was by rote and old hat by now. ("Crew is infected, alien erupts, characters kills each other trying to kill alien, alien gets big fast, kills almost everyone else, blow the fucking thing out the airlock, the day is saved... but not really because hell is a cycle." But I could watch David and Walter interact for hours. it's also amazing what can be done now in terms of having the same actor in screen at one time, in very close contact with himself.

- So David has evolved the xenomorph to the egg/facehugger/alien pattern and i guess he just has to work a queen in there to lay the eggs. What we know the alien pattern to be is actually genetic engineering, all courtesy of a rogue android who wanted to outdo his makers. So at some point after 2000 colonists are infected, well, there's a hell of a lot of eggs to be found in a ship years from now. Wheee.

The thing is, is it actually a BETTER system? I mean, damn... bio organism bumps into a plant/animal sporepod and they're infected and manage to pump out a xenomorph in a few hours.... no muss no fuss, no awareness, no having to chase around the bio organism (facehugger style) to implant the embryo, etc. David's method seems MORE difficult, not less.

There are various things in this movie that either have not been explained or just do not make sense from a broad scientific perspective. Fuck you, Ridley Scott.

- Why did David kill the Engineers? I think because they created humans, and humans created him, and he saw humans as inferior to him, and thus the engineers are too... plus the engineers felt the need to screw around too much. Plus the engineer ripped his head off and suggested he was inferior. So ... pride? An android's judgment can be relentless and severe, with no emotional undercurrents to gird it.

Or did David have emotional undercurrents? Did he become angry? he seemed very placid in Prometheus and earlier, but this David seems to have "found himself." And how can you create without emotion? Maybe David experienced anger at the engineers. I also have a hard time saying he hated Shaw, he spoke of admiration for her and seemed attached to her in some ways. While he seems to have used her to further his own ends, it was also an honor of sorts from him... that she become the "mother" of his children so to speak.

Oh well. Still mentally unpacking.

edit:

Onestep: Okay, I finally read your post (i was waiting until after I saw this), and if that's the case chronologically in regards to Awakening, I am willing to suspend my current reaction a bit to see what gets filled in...
Old 20th-May-2017, 07:41 PM   #14
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctantly View Post
WELL THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME NOW
They quote Shelley too. Bastards.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM   #15
Reluctantly
notzi nazi

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Just saw it with someone. Movie was a bit of a let-down for me.

Spoiler:
David's motivations don't make a lot of sense to me. He doesn't believe humans are worthy of life...okay, understandable given his maker's pursuit of immortality. Sure, humans can be very childish to not accept that life brings death and a kind of evolution, fine. They even downgraded William to be more of a machine out of fear of someone like David. It's pathetic, agreed.

So...because he's disappointed with humanity, he plays DNA Dr. Frankenstein with blood-thirsty creatures that kill everything and have very little intelligence. He then uses them to kill the blue aliens and humanity. And why? Because he believes he's the next step in evolution...someone that can play God with blood-thirsty alien minions...Yes, David is so amazing that he has to resort to killing everything he thinks is beneath him. He's actually just like humans...or is that supposed to be the ultimate irony to his character then?

Anyhow, how the fuck does this all add up to an interesting story? Other than to say David is a crazy egomaniac...not very interesting. I liked him better in Prometheus. This was just predictable and kind of dumb. The switch was obvious too, especially when an alien somehow got free on board the ship. She never even questioned David. It's pretty easy to ask him something only David would know and see if he responds, at the very least...

Maybe I just really wanted there to be more of a deeper story-line and I'm disappointed, but that just was so meh.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #16
Jennywocky
Large tracts of fivehead

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Yeah, Reluctantly, I feel your pain. (Similar response here.)

Just saw this review on the IMDB page for this movie and had to laugh -- it's titled, "So it wasn't Lindelof after all"
Spoiler:
What a load of absolute rubbish. Once again we are treated to stupid crew doing stupid things despite having apparently trained for 10 years. 10 years of training to be stupid, apparently.

Lovingly embracing a convulsing and hemorrhaging soldier? Check. Running into a room and slipping on blood so you fire into the ceiling? Check (actually laughed out loud at that bit). Firing wildly in the ship hold containing explosive canisters so that the whole ship gets blown to bits? Check. "Flying" the interstellar SPACE ship INTO THE ATMOSPHERE because your wife is on the surface? Check. Splitting into small groups to explore weird building despite having just witnessed a lethal alien attack? Check.

I could go on but why bother? The story makes little sense and lurches from one "oh that's convenient" moment to the next.

And that's not to mention the utterly fatuous pseudo-philosophy. Oh look, the next in command (after James Franco's character is burnt alive - probably as a result of legal intervention on the part of his agent) is a "man of faith". Give me strength!! After enjoying the company of a face-hugger he wakes and instead of saying "WTF!!!" he asks the inexplicably psychotic David "What do you believe?" Oh lordy it's all that "belief" mumbo-jumbo again. I tell you what David should have said: "I believe in *science* you mutton headed pea brain! It was science that got you off Earth, through the voids of space and onto this rock without being vapourised into a million tiny bits! Oh and another thing, where did we come from? Turns out science has an answer for that, too! EVOLUTION!!! You onion eyed sack of wine!"

But it gets worse, given that he appears not to have been involved in the script, what Alien: Covenant appears to confirm is that the offence against nature that is Prometheus was not entirely the fault of that literary toilet blocker Damon Lindelof. So this is Ridley Scott's ultimate transgression - he has managed, in whole or even in part, to exonerate Lindelof for the seemingly bottomless pit of pig's faeces that is Prometheus by going one better by finding the bottom of the pit and hacking through it to the sewer.

TBH, it really wasn't Lindelof's fault for Prometheus either. Many of the problems were part of the overzealous editing (editing essential and/or at least better dialogue out of the final cut, simply in order to save time / make the film tighter). The stuff in the deleted scenes made more sense.

It also sounds like the original concept for this film was actually a much more true sequel to the last, but because of fan base complaint, they made it a xenomorph movie instead. *facepalm* Dolts. It wasn't that we didn't want to learn about engineers, how they created humanity, and what the point of everything was -- it was that the execution of said concept was botched so that no one was happy with the last movie.

One has to wonder if Scott is gonna last until the end of this concept anyway... isn't he pushing 80 now?
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #17
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

linuxsafari

I just REALLY hated the characters.