INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > School & Work

Old 16th-May-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
mcfly89
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Do INTPs need work that is also social?

I'm an INTP and tend to keep to myself (although I have friends who I live with and hangout with). I've been freelancing unsuccessfully for four years since graduating college, living mostly from help from my parents. I'm trying to find a way to earn a living, and am considering internet entrepreneurship that I can do by myself at home--I'm thinking building a successful youtube channel.

One thing I read about INTPs recently is that we crave alone time, but need to force ourselves to get out of the house and interact with people, otherwise we become depressed. This seems contradictory--what is better for us, alone time work or working among people? Should I drop the career ideas that I can do on my own in favor of more traditional work in an office or somewhere where I interact with people?
mcfly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-May-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
onesteptwostep
on indefinite leave

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Default Re: Do INTPs need work that is also social?

Try doing both, you're going to need a steady source of income and you'll probably want to be financially independent. Financially independent and smooching housing from your parents of course hehe.

Being social is important for anyone really, because without it it's easy to fall into depressive mood swings. I don't think it's important to have work that's social, but it's important to have a small social life. If your current social life isn't enough, you should try to expand it a little- and having work friends isn't all that bad either.
That is their hue
onesteptwostep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th-May-2017, 02:40 AM   #3
Cognisant
Condescending Bastard

linuxsafari

What working in an office is like really depends upon your role and the people you're working with and the latter you get almost no control over.

If you do a YouTube channel you'll want to work with a team of people to produce content on a daily basis, doing a weekly or monthly video is no longer as profitable as it used to be.
Old 17th-May-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
mcfly89
Redshirt

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Thanks for the advice, guys!
mcfly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th-May-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
AndyC
Hm?

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I like work to be social for the sake of discussion and debate. This would be the ideal level of 'social' I would like in my career.