PDA

View Full Version : Posting on the bullshit threads will make you smarter.

grey matters
5th-January-2009, 07:14 PM
They say that activities that involve things like quick computations, memory recall and word associations actually exercise your brain and make you smarter. A while a go I got "Brain Age II" ( for Nintendo DS) and found that it really did make me think faster and helped my memory. Someone on this forum also posted a site that had similar activities for brain stimulation.

Now, in the bullshit threads don't we have to do similar things? for example, we use memory recall in trying to come up with a good reason to ban someone when there appears to be no immediate reason to do so. Coming up with quick and creative ways to annihilate one another requires us to not only be creative, but do so quickly. And need I mention word association? Don't we have a very popular thread just for that purpose?

Yea, I know that the serious threads are stimulating, but in a different way. They are more complex, but slower. I remember reading somewhere that both activities (in this case, both bullshit and nonbullshit) are needed for a balanced healthy mind. One skill, like quick mental activities, enhances the performance of the other skill, like thinking through complex problems.

The one problem I had with the brain stimulating activities that are on "Brain Age" and that site that someone posted a while ago is the activities quickly got boring, and so I lost the motivation to do them. In the bullshit threads I am sparring with actual human beings (I think). This is much more challenging, (so far).

I also remember a few things about how laughter is healthy. So when you sit in front of the computer, laughing your ass off and drinking your coffee and eating doughnuts, you can use the excuse that you are doing so for your health, you are not procrastinating......think about it.

NoID10ts
5th-January-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm not aware of any "bullshit" threads. Ar you sure you're on the right forum?

Agent Intellect
5th-January-2009, 10:37 PM
i've never procrastinated in my life. i'm simply biding my time, waiting for my moment to strike...

NoID10ts
5th-January-2009, 10:40 PM
i've never procrastinated in my life. i'm simply biding my time, waiting for my moment to strike...

Moment to strike or stroke?

Agent Intellect
5th-January-2009, 10:43 PM
Moment to strike or stroke?

i don't bide my time on stroking.

AndOhh
6th-January-2009, 12:38 AM
...(a bunch of things i agree with...)

I agree with were you are coming with heard/read various things regarding active-minds staving off alzheimer's disease as well analogies that using your brain is like exercising a muscle. Exercise it and make it stronger and better.

I've always felt good about hearing those things -- because not matter what I do I cannot stop myself from falling into deep intense spouts of thought. The people around me get annoyed when I need to snap back to reality.

Does anyone else do this -- you're thinking something through and someone says something to you and it's heard but completely ignored until you finish your thought than you answer that person? Even better is when they gave up and don't expect the answer.

loveofreason
6th-January-2009, 01:13 AM
It's all true. And very therapeutic.

severus
6th-January-2009, 01:17 AM
Does anyone else do this -- you're thinking something through and someone says something to you and it's heard but completely ignored until you finish your thought than you answer that person?

Yes. Or else I will hear them, just having concluded my previous thought, and have to repeat what they said in order to comprehend it.
blah blah blah blah blah
"What do you want for dinner?"
"What do...I...want...for dinner? Oh!"

grey matters
6th-January-2009, 01:32 AM
I come from a family of NT types. You can use this behavior against them. When you feel like they are not listening to you, ask them some absurd question like "can I borrow your car, spray paint it orange, and coat the inside with marmalade? Would you like dog shit with your coffee? " IT'S FUN!!!

Kuu
6th-January-2009, 02:02 AM
Nietzsche said "What does not kill me, makes me stronger"

I say "What does not bore me, makes me smarter"

:D

You can call it the Tekton Corollary

also: +1 support for Severus' post. I do that all the time.

Melkor
6th-January-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, I for one, could not survive the day without my cathartic virtual murderings of Lor.

I would probably be a wild sociopath if not for this site.

Agent Intellect
6th-January-2009, 02:12 PM
posting in them is fun, but i often wonder if anyone outside those involved actually read them? would it be therapeutic to read through pages of unmitigated bullshit, or would that be tantamount to watching reality television? i, for one, have a difficult time trying to read any of them that i am not involved in, they simply don't hold my attention. so, i have to wonder, what is it about posting it on a public forum that makes it so appealing as oppose to sending personal messages or taking it to flashchat (i'm not telling people they should do this, as i also seem to find it more appealing to post it on the forum instead. its more just a general question)?

Inappropriate Behavior
6th-January-2009, 02:26 PM
I think the value of bullshit threads comes from the participation in them rather than just reading them. I might try reading through the inanity if my brain doesn't want to think too deeply but often times they become nonsense as the timing of the (alleged) humor is past. Participating in them (especially when others are posting rapidly) makes you think on your toes. The exercise equivalent is a sprint rather than a marathon.

loveofreason
6th-January-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm pondering this very question.

People can exercise their choice not to read...

but... is it still a nuisance for everyone else?

There is something about the forum format that makes it fun. What are the alternatives?

Actually, I find just about everything Noddy writes funny, so I read it. Perhaps we could call the phenomena reality virtual reality?

grey matters
6th-January-2009, 04:40 PM
For the sake of politeness and respect I usually read through the serious threads (or at least scan them) but the bullshit threads are just that...(bullshit) so I don't feel the necessity to read through them. And if not reading through the bullshit thread causes me to post something that is absolute bullshit, well, haven't I fulfilled the purpose of the thread (that is to post bullshit)? Oh crap I think it's too early in the morning for me to be that philosophical, I'll abandon this idea for now.

And yes, I agree, just about everything NoI writes is funny so I read it. He should be renamed "The king of the bullshit threads" or something like that. By the way If my theory is right, (that posting on the bullshit threads makes you smarter) well, that would logically make NoI the smartest one here. GASP!!! Oh my!!

Anyway it's the participation that is supposed to exercise your brain and thus make you smarter. It's thinking fast, memory recall, word association (We dont know anyNoIone here who is well known for that) etc.

NoID10ts
7th-January-2009, 01:17 AM
If my theory is right, (that posting on the bullshit threads makes you smarter) well, that would logically make NoI the smartest one here. GASP!!! Oh my!!

About time someone recognized it!

grey matters
7th-January-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes, your genius has gone unnoticed until now. Please pardon me for this, O king of the bullshit threads.

TheHabitatDoctor
26th-September-2012, 02:03 AM
Necro'd :storks:

What do the new peeps think of this?

intpz
26th-September-2012, 03:46 AM
"peeps" - fuck that abomination of a word.

TheHabitatDoctor
26th-September-2012, 03:49 AM
Posting on the bullshit threads will make you smarter.

"peeps" - fuck that abomination of a word.

Case in point^ ;)

intpz
26th-September-2012, 04:20 PM
Case in point^ ;)

:confused: *feels confused* :confused:

TheHabitatDoctor
26th-September-2012, 05:22 PM
:confused: *feels confused* :confused:
Keep commenting, you'll figure it out ;)

redbaron
26th-September-2012, 05:24 PM

There's also the possibility he might not.

Solitaire U.
26th-September-2012, 05:28 PM
Ironic...this thread was started in 2009, but the general sentiment in this brand new one: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=14045 is that things here have gone into a downward spiral since then.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

intpz
26th-September-2012, 05:41 PM

Huh? :confused:

Minuend
27th-September-2012, 06:29 PM
Ironic...this thread was started in 2009, but the general sentiment in this brand new one: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=14045 is that things here have gone into a downward spiral since then.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

1. I believe they are talking about the silly humour threads. Of course such things are perfectly fine but

2. Most of the nonsense threads now are not funny or meant to be. Actually I used to be able to laugh at someone's comment almost daily.

3. The same people who were part of silliries also managed to show a glimpse of intelligence either by their clever comments or contribution in serious threads. And thus it was possible to actually respect them.

EyeSeeCold
27th-September-2012, 10:58 PM
2) Humor is relative, plus I don't think that should be a redeeming factor of behavior. It allows for all kinds of corruption.

3) Pumping out more silly threads than serious ones is still bringing down the forum(if the standard is "intelligence and seriousness"), I don't see how a glimpse of intelligence redeems that. To me it's more acceptable for people to focus on serious threads and relax once in a while with some humor/lowered standards, if not equally.

DeadonDreaming
27th-September-2012, 10:59 PM

Saving up strength for the final fight..

DeadonDreaming
27th-September-2012, 11:01 PM
2) Humor is relative, plus I don't think that should be a redeeming factor of behavior. It allows for all kinds of corruption.

There was a guy where I used to live, a son of a lawyer, who was very good looking, very charismatic, and a sociopath. He used to harass people, force himself on women, destroy property, and even grabbed my junk (yes.. that junk) once when he was drunk. He got away with everything because he was really good at making people laugh. He used to pee outside of windows, stand naked in the hallway masturbating, and did a bunch of other weird stuff that I won't even go into. But.. he made people laugh!