View Full Version : Forced weight policy in Japan

Jelly Rev
12th-December-2011, 04:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hqHo6lyUU&feature=youtu.be

Social engineering v Liberty
discuss

walfin
12th-December-2011, 05:06 AM
Not unheard of, other places (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166740/1/.html) have tried to do this too (but by taxing manufacturers of fattening products).

Felan
12th-December-2011, 05:34 AM
Robin Hansen has an interesting perspective on it. In short he says that Japan is just re-affirming something that it is proud of.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2011/11/japans-fat-tax.html

EditorOne
12th-December-2011, 03:50 PM
Some of what's current in "desired optimum appearance" is just fad. Short of looking like an Andersonville prisoner in one direction or a giant marshmallow in the other, it's all good. Our bodies have a genetic inheritance of storing excess intake as accessible energy, probably left over from a prolonged stretch of evolution where the idea of eating every day was not normal. That we now have to remain aware of this evolutionary inheritance and control it lest it control us should not take a lot of effort, but it apparently does.

Most people I see these days are a waist size bigger than they should be to run the marathon. On the other hand most people I see these days have no intention of running the marathon.

And, having visited a great many college campuses in the past five years, I can also say there seems to be a great slimming down taking place among people in that generation. Other than a few people obviously combatting glandular or hormonal imbalances of some sort, my impression is that young people are slimmer, if not necessarily more aerobically fit or muscular, than during most of the 1980s and 1990s, and that there's been a noticeable increase in slimness in the past three years, from year to year.

I don't think obesity due to gluttony is a growing problem, despite some fast food adds that show some positively unseemly choking down of giant burritos and whatnot on the idiot box recently. Some of those franchises are really pushing gluttony, it's pretty interesting.

Oblivious
12th-December-2011, 04:28 PM
I happen to take a month to finish a pint of Ben and Jerry's. :angel01:

Jelly Rev
13th-December-2011, 09:23 AM
Some of what's current in "desired optimum appearance" is just fad. Short of looking like an Andersonville prisoner in one direction or a giant marshmallow in the other, it's all good.

This is similar to the being tan issue. before mass vacationing and when the agriculture world was dominant being tan was considered poor and being pale was preferred. times have changed though.

I think a societal effect is taking place on being in shape in the youth, A person is looked down upon in social groups for becoming fat. In fact I would say most people I know are in better shape than in high school, Obesity in our high school was extremely though in the first place though.
Perhaps facebook has something to do with this, with being exposed.

I dont understand how this fat law is accepted by the population, it seems quite infringing on a person, and what if someone has a medical issue that causes obesity.

Jackooboy
1st-January-2012, 09:43 PM
The biggest problem with being overweight or obese is that it puts people at risk for chronic and acute health problems. Obesity and being overweight are risk factors for "diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and premature death," not to mention heart failure, MI, etc. This obviously is no one's business, unless we pool our money together for insurance or socialized healthcare... and here is the crux of the issue... Why should I pay higher premiums and have health insurance costs increase 300% in the last 5-10 years because people don't have self control to maintain a reasonable weight? These people are costing us, via taxation, insurance premiums, lost work productivity and revenue, etc. a lot of $$, especially when you notice the US spends roughly 17% of GDP on healthcare, which is by far much more than any other nation in the world. The US has over a 30% obesity rate. Korea is roughly at 3%. It is not normal, nor is it good to have a nation full of obese and overweight chronically ill people. It is a waste of life and resources.

crippli
1st-January-2012, 10:38 PM
Preemptive measures are generally less resource demanding then reactive measures. In that regard it makes sense.

To implement this fairly, effective and non corruptible seems like a nightmare.

EyeSeeCold
2nd-January-2012, 03:11 AM
The idea is not that bad, I'd say the worst of such a thing is the oppressive enforcement of an ideal standard.

and what if someone has a medical issue that causes obesity.
Come on now, it takes extreme ignorance, inhumanity and imprudence not to pardon medical conditions.